• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperionX

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

TRACKER:
Top 10 Average Sales
salesrank-1-1-recent30.jpg

Top 25 Average Sales
salesrank25-1-1-recent30.jpg

Top 100 Average Sales
salesrank100-1-1-recent30.jpg

Total Top 100
top100-1-1-recent30.jpg

Total Top 1000
top1000-1-1-recent30.jpg

Total Top 10000
top10000-1-1-recent30.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
unless you have some reason to believe that amazon represents the market at large, this is kind of pointless

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
drohne said:
unless you have some reason to believe that amazon represents the market at large, this is kind of pointless

I don't think so... Amazon is a pretty big player. I'm not saying it's 100% in tune with the market at large, but I think it's indicative of an overall trent.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
drohne said:
drohne said:
drohne said:
drohne said:
drohne said:

Repeated cause it's true!

bill0527

I do believe that Amazon is a big enough player that you can make some inferences from their data.

I know that everytime I ask on different forums about the cheapest places to get HD-DVDs or BRDs, I always get pointed to Amazon.

Raistlin

For something as new and niche as HD-DVD and BluRay ... I'd say Amazon is likely one of the better indicators.

Phoenix

Amazon is actually as good as any resource to chart, globally, product interest and momentum.

I mean come on, we all know that sooner or later BRD will catch and surpass HDVD... that is almost pre-ordained.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm not sure if you could use it as a good "Overall Market" indicative. You could however, use it was a possible indicator of gaining momentum in some way.

Phoenix

Suikoguy said:
I'm not sure if you could use it as a good "Overall Market" indicative. You could however, use it was a possible indicator of gaining momentum in some way.

Well the overall global market lacks any one true metric, but if you take that statistic as a 'shoppers looking for HD content' as a metric, it is about as valid a metric as any other poll you'll find as its measuring two test groups 'anonymously' with the same metrics and without any bias.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Phoenix said:
Well the overall global market lacks any one true metric, but if you take that statistic as a 'shoppers looking for HD content' as a metric, it is about as valid a metric as any other poll you'll find as its measuring two test groups 'anonymously' with the same metrics and without any bias.

True, in the online market with of the bigger retailers

Funny thing is, most of the blu-ray titles (on that list) on Amazon are sold out and people are still buying knowing there's a 1-3 week wait time.

Alcibiades said:
I don't see why that's funny... many HD DVD titles are sold out too (and have been for a few days)

None of the top 10 HD DVD titles were sold out until today. Fearless so far, that's it. I've been waiting forever to buy Superman Returns on Blu-ray. It's been sold out for almost 2 weeks now. So I bought it at Walmart. There was a point last week where 9/10 top Blu-ray titles had a 1-3 week wait. I wanted to put a big order in but I'm not waiting 2-3 weeks for delivery. Someone needs to re-stock amazon.

Alcibiades

Superman Returns has been sold out for the past few days on HD DVD (couldn't even order it from amazon, only from 3rd party marketplace)...

Batman Begins, Fearless, and Serenity (consistent top 10) are sold out right now...

seems light the holiday bump both formats received is holding both of them back, but they've both been selling out of top titles for the past several weeks (at least HD DVD has) so it seems to balance out...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Although I agree with everyone that these specific graphs indicate... well... pretty much nothing, I am interested in seeing if the 750K-ish cheap Blu-Ray players sold in Nov & Dec (PS3s) will translate into spiked Blu Ray film sales.

How many HDDVD and Blu Ray players were in homes prior to the PS3's launch? Does the PS3 send Blu-Ray over the top, in terms of pure adoption?

Striek

If Amazon was an indicator of anything, Phoenix Wright would be a million seller.

The actual sales once you get to rank 500+ must be very small. To jump hundreds of ranks it probably only takes one or two sales at a few thousand. Its not entirely useless, but eh, I'd expect the market to be pretty different. Especially with the PS3 being bought in stores.

The most interesting statistic from that site is price, HD-DVDs are by and large sold significantly cheaper, again skewing from at a retail store.

painey

i used to check this almost every week up until the PS3 launch and Blu Ray was lagging behind in every single catagory except price.. now its jumped up big time and closing the gap..

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DarkJediKnight said:
Funny thing is, most of the blu-ray titles (on that list) on Amazon are sold out and people are still buying knowing there's a 1-3 week wait time.
yeah whats up with people sellin superman on blu-ray for 70 bucks? please tell me thats a typo.

Meier

Well, I know my HD DVD list now is King Kong, Batman Begins, Superman Returns, Cinderella Man and The Italian Job (can't wait for some HD MINIs!). :D

Bad_Boy said:
yeah whats up with people sellin superman on blu-ray for 70 bucks? please tell me thats a typo.

Think PS3 release Ebay price. Superman R is sold out on Amazon and some jackasses are trying to make a buck.

HyperionX said:
Close, but not today. However, Blu-ray has set a record high. Crossover can still happen any day now.
it's going to be interesting to see what happens to hd-dvd sales if and when blu-ray sales pass them for the first time. will they keep falling behind, will it be back and forth... it's going to be interesting that's for sure.

anyone who thinks blu-ray 'passing' hd-dvd's sales = blu-ray killing hd-dvd is a bit crazy though. sales of both are still as far as i can see on the increase.

given that both will have seen spikes from the launches of the hd-dvd drive and the ps3... it's going to be intersting to see how much sales fall off in spring, and it's going to be interesting to see what happens with sales of both pieces of hardware past christmas.

HyperionX said:
Close, but not today. However, Blu-ray has set a record high. Crossover can still happen any day now.

Depends on who you ask. I noticed this at AVS:

Dec 2006
Blu-ray 55.06%
HD-DVD 44.94%

Last week of 2006
Blu-ray 55.5%
HD-DVD 44.5%

http://www.dvdempire.com/index.asp?userid=99365188214269&tab_id=60&site_id=69&site_media_id=0

HD DVD sold more than Blu-ray in 2006. Not a surprise considering Blu-ray didn't get going until Fox started releasing titles in Nov. But look at the month of December, and look at last week's sales. Blu-ray is clearly in the lead over at dvdempire, which is a smaller version of amazon.

there are over a million bluray players in homes right now
it has the backing of all the major studios except one
it also has the most finacial clout, not to mention all but one of the major electrical makers are exclusively making blu ray players.
i think the real news will be if blu ray doesnt overtake hddvd.
right now its inevitable blu-ray will win. sony is gonna rake in billions from this:lol

cank stoochie said:
right now its inevitable blu-ray will win. sony is gonna rake in billions from this:lol

"Ah sure hope so, soldier!" <sorry, I was just playing Gears of War on live>

Hey, as long as they subsidize the PS4 with the money they make from Blu-ray, I'm all for it. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Actually, the reason why both are going up today is because fanboys on both sides are A. vehement in their need to see their format stay/become #1 (on the most viewed Blu-Ray/HD-DVD battle chart on the internet) and B. tend to have a decent amount of disposable income. This results in all the fanboys doing just what they do at the last minute in gamefaqs polls...they're running to Amazon and ordering tons of movies just for the sake of pushing this chart.

Insanity.

Alcibiades

Weinstein titles just went up for pre-order earlier today I think, so that helped HD DVD go up just enough to stay ahead of Blu-ray another day...

Victory!

HyperionX

The number 1 Blu-ray movie overtook the number 1 HD-DVD movie today. It's the tail end that keeping it from winning outright. Still, Blu-ray takeover could happen tommorrow or the next few days.

Jim

At the CES this morning, Fox announced that BRD sales surpassed HD-DVD by 20% for the first time with an overall 3.5-to-1 ratio, and made projections for the next year.
The source is Fox though, so wtf.

fox_graphic.jpg

Press Release

Clouseau

Haha yes Fox...because Blu-ray sales will keep increasing and HD DVD will just stay flat. I like how blu-ray trends up at the end of December and so they keep projecting it trending up. HD DVD trends up at the end of December too, and then they drop it back down to flat sales. Look they even botched the dates....2010-2011? :lol

Fact is there are tons of titles being announced for both formats this year and neither is going to end up in the gutter any time soon...so just enjoy your HD movies.

Bebpo

Banned
q*bert said:
Haha yes Fox...because Blu-ray sales will keep increasing and HD DVD will just stay flat. I like how blu-ray trends up at the end of December and so they keep projecting it trending up. HD DVD trends up at the end of December too, and then they drop it back down to flat sales. Look they even botched the dates....2010-2011? :lol

Fact is there are tons of titles being announced for both formats this year and neither is going to end up in the gutter any time soon...so just enjoy your HD movies.

Yeah the dates are really ****ed up. What the hell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom