• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Hey ladies and gents, just a note about the 31 Days of Horror marathon thread this year, it'll be up a couple of days later than usual.

I usually like to have it up around Sept 15th, but it's more likely to go up around the 20th this year. We should still have plenty of time to discuss our lists before Oct 1st though.

Hey ladies and gents, just a note about the 31 Days of Horror marathon thread this year, it'll be up a couple of days later than usual.

I usually like to have it up around Sept 15th, but it's more likely to go up around the 20th this year. We should still have plenty of time to discuss our lists before Oct 1st though.

I'm really excited, as always.

Steamlord

It's gonna be a good time. I need to start making a list. I feel like I'm running out of good horror movies that I haven't seen. But that's not possible...right?

It's gonna be a good time. I need to start making a list. I feel like I'm running out of good horror movies that I haven't seen. But that's not possible...right?

Running out of movies seems impossible to me. My current list is around 50 movies and I'm still finding stuff I want to save for it. I guess maybe my definition of "good" is a little too loose but I cant resist putting a few stinkers on it.

Aizo

Banned

I've never completed mine. Is this year the year?
Probably not.

zeemumu

I've been building my library of horror films for some time now and I might finally have enough to get through all 31 days this year.

I went to go see Annabelle: Creation the other day and I was pretty impressed that the prequel of a spinoff turned out to be as good as it was. Like the movie before it, the focus isn't entirely on the doll, but more on other entities surrounding the doll. Most of the characters were likeable which is something that I don't see that often in horror films because filmmakers like to treat horror movie characters like cannon fodder that you want to see die. It was a little distracting that one of the main characters played an evil ghost kid in Ouija: Origin of Evil, another horror prequel that's far better than its predecessor. If you haven't seen Annabelle and want to skip it, you can, and you'll still be able to follow this movie pretty well, but you might get a little confused towards the end.

Also there are two post-credits scenes so hang around until the end.

I usually get nervous at the end of each October because I figure that I have probably seen the best of the genre by that point, then the next year happens and proves me wrong.

It also helps that we've been blessed with some damn fine horror films in the past few years. I had planned to focus this year on mostly newer releases with the rest filled out by Blu-rays of films I hadn't seen yet. However, I finally counted the other day and I've somehow ended up with about 24 Blu-rays I've been holding off for October. Now my plan has sort of switched around on me, but on the plus side I get more flicks to put on my backlog for future marathons.

31 days of horror is some serious shit, lol.

Hex

Banned
For a movie that evokes The Witch in terms of themes and atmosphere, check out The Blackcoat's Daughter. It's amazing, and beautifully crafted, but set in modern times, and not really bound up in any rural isolation, so possibly not what you're after.

For folk horror, you'll want something very different. Are you thinking of period movies specifically, or is it more a desire for the isolated-in-the-wilderness kind of vibe?

You'd almost certainly love the TV show Salem. Superb period horror. First season is best, but the second is decent too. It's about witches, witch trials, and gets gloriously horrific. If you want to watch a grotesque witch harvest a literal bag of dicks, watch season 2 of Salem.

I just saw The Alchemist's Cookbook, and while I didn't love it, it's a smart and interesting little movie that focuses on one man's descent into madness as he experiments with summoning spells, all alone in a tiny trailer in the woods. Definitely has that slightly folkish vibe.

Mr. Jones is pretty much the definition of folk horror set in contemporary times. It's about a couple living in the middle of nowhere who encounter an artist who creates horrific scarecrows for reasons.

And I forget the title, so perhaps someone else can help out, but another example of what I'd call folk-horror that comes to mind is a movie about two guys (brothers I think) who spend several nights in a cabin far away from civilisation. One is going through heroin withdrawal, the other is looking after him. They discover some artifacts, and a mystery unfolds. It has an interesting ending.

Loved Salem, really surprised me when it turned up out of nowhere on WGN.
I really wish we could have had one more season.

Ridley327

Thanks for the update. That gives me more time to get things in, especially since I've already been so busy as it is with preparations.

Despite the theme being 90s films, I have a really, really, really good feeling about where this is going.

Thanks for the update. That gives me more time to get things in, especially since I've already been so busy as it is with preparations.

Despite the theme being 90s films, I have a really, really, really good feeling about where this is going.

There's some real gems from the 90's, but yeah, overall it sucked. The 80's was so good that even many of the trash films ended up redeemable in some way. I assume that you've seen most of the 90's heavy hitters so I'm looking forward to what you got.

An-Det

Looking forward to it. I've got about 20 movies in my list so far, curious to see what others will be watching.

Ridley327

There's some real gems from the 90's, but yeah, overall it sucked. The 80's was so good that even many of the trash films ended up redeemable in some way. I assume that you've seen most of the 90's heavy hitters so I'm looking forward to what you got.

Big hint: we are more international than ever before!

Has anyone seen Vicious Lips? IMDB lists it as "Horror, Music, Sci-Fi" but I dunno... does it really fit into horror?

I have unfortunately seen Vicious Lips. It's not a horror movie, it's a very very very bad sci-fi movie. It does have a genuinely epic / super-cheesy (depending on your musical taste) 80s synth rock soundtrack though.

I have unfortunately seen Vicious Lips. It's not a horror movie, it's a very very very bad sci-fi movie. It does have a genuinely epic / super-cheesy (depending on your musical taste) 80s synth rock soundtrack though.

Okay, thanks for the info. Off the list it goes for now.

Ridley327

So, this was astonishing and great:

gZ895Ey.jpg

If it's playing even remotely near by where any of you guys live, drop everything and make the time.

gamz

I really liked It Comes at Night. Not as great as Krisha, but I really dug it. Still thinking about and will watch again.

Enk

makes good threads.
So, this was astonishing and great:

If it's playing even remotely near by where any of you guys live, drop everything and make the time.

I can't wait! Making a trip to Nashville next week just to go see this. Something I have always wanted to see and hear in the theater!

Penguin

Oh good to hear!

Already have half of my list picked out (Diving into Universal Monster movies never seen) but not sure what doing for the drinking half

Oh good to hear!

Already have half of my list picked out (Diving into Universal Monster movies never seen) but not sure what doing for the drinking half

FYI - James Whale's The Old Dark House is finally getting a Blu-ray release towards the end of October. I've been wanting to see it for years and it's dropping at the best possible time.

I decided to watch the Half in the Bag review of IT because I figure there's nothing to spoil (although i don't remember much about the 1990 version, i know the basic premise). Sounds like I'm gonna skip this one in theaters. They complain about how it uses loud noises for the jump scares and I fucking hate that shit. That's what pissed me off about Blair Witch, which I tried so hard to enjoy.

They reference Lake Mungo as an example of a subtle horror movie, and I agree, that's a very rewatchable and memorable movie for me. I don't want my senses assaulted to feel something.

I decided to watch the Half in the Bag review of IT because I figure there's nothing to spoil (although i don't remember much about the 1990 version, i know the basic premise). Sounds like I'm gonna skip this one in theaters. They complain about how it uses loud noises for the jump scares and I fucking hate that shit. That's what pissed me off about Blair Witch, which I tried so hard to enjoy.

They reference Lake Mungo as an example of a subtle horror movie, and I agree, that's a very rewatchable and memorable movie for me. I don't want my senses assaulted to feel something.

I really liked Lake Mungo (couldn't sleep good for a while) but I think IT really doesn't want to be that kind of movie. It's supposed an adventurous spectacle. Which makes sense because as a film it has to know its limits. To really capture the pacing of the book they'd need to make quite a complex series. I really hope we get that in the future.

I really liked Lake Mungo (couldn't sleep good for a while) but I think IT really doesn't want to be that kind of movie. It's supposed an adventurous spectacle. Which makes sense because as a film it has to know its limits. To really capture the pacing of the book they'd need to make quite a complex series. I really hope we get that in the future.
i see. Well maybe i'll give it a shot knowing what to expect. I like horror spectacles too, but i'd have to be in the right mood. Sounds like a weekend night movie.

lordxar

i see. Well maybe i'll give it a shot knowing what to expect. I like horror spectacles too, but i'd have to be in the right mood. Sounds like a weekend night movie.

IT was really good. The jumpy parts were actually well done and not the focal point. Well worth seeing on the big screen.

Hey everybody! I finally reactivated my gaf account, so that I can actually participate in topics instead of just occasionally lurking. I searched for a horror topic immediately, glad you guys are keeping this one up and going.

Speaking of which, I don't know if anybody would find this useful, but with a couple of friends we basically have a glorified watchlist that we keeps as a blog to suggest movies to each other without the need to scroll through too much text or the risk of loosing notes, I don't know if you're interested in using too?

IT's at https://midnightxpclub.wordpress.com if you are.

Anyway:

recently watched The colour out of space. If it wasn't such a sweet Lovecraft adaptation, really really liked it. I'd love to watch Dirt Dauber next, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, any suggestions?

MattyH

got an extremely mixed bag for this years 31 days of horror got some italian classics a few real cheap shoe string budget tat and a few asian horror movies

LakeEarth

IT was really good. The jumpy parts were actually well done and not the focal point. Well worth seeing on the big screen.

Yeah, RLM has a good point regarding the overusage of "jump at the camera" scares, but the overall movie is still great IMO. Though I am noticing that people that read the book seem to have a harder time liking it than most others.

This year I'm gonna try to complete my viewing of everything that was part of the "video nasties" bans/lists for the halloween marathon.

I was considering trying a full month of those one year. Then I decided it was just too much garbage to track down. I think I have a couple in this year's pile just by random luck.

strafer

I haven't done that 30 horror movies thing, but is it considered if I choose to watch all of Friday the 13th movies? Or should there be a mix?

I haven't done that 30 horror movies thing, but is it considered if I choose to watch all of Friday the 13th movies? Or should there be a mix?

You can watch whatever you like. There's "rules" that'll be posted in the thread when it goes up, but they're really more of a guideline and are never enforced.

There are two mandatory films each year but aside from that it's up to you.

We're Skipping the mandatory films this year, go nuts!

Steamlord

All the Lake Mungo love in that other thread is great. Hoping it gets a lot of new viewers next month.

Really annoying that the German Blu-ray is the only one available though, even if it is region free. It also doesn't help that they went with the shitty artwork for that release.

lordxar

Tetsuo is some weird shit. I've watched Iron Man and Bullet Man. Caught Bullet Man first and while it was out there I dug it but found out that was number three in the series. It's at least a bit more coherent. Part one is lower budget and more experimental. While I enjoyed them, its safe to say these are not for everyone.

Melchiah

Tetsuo is some weird shit. I've watched Iron Man and Bullet Man. Caught Bullet Man first and while it was out there I dug it but found out that was number three in the series. It's at least a bit more coherent. Part one is lower budget and more experimental. While I enjoyed them, its safe to say these are not for everyone.

Speaking of weird Asian movies, I'd recommend Uzumaki, Marebito, Suicide Club, and Three... Extremes.

Top Bottom