• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House decorators must be built differently man

anthony2690

Started 9am, just finished after 7pm, when I decided I can't go on and jumped in the shower.

Ripping up carpet, I rip up carpet in the bedroom and to my horror there was fucking tiles, who puts carpet over tiles?!, what I had to rip up, literally moving everything out of the bedroom, living room and throwing everything we want rid off out into a hire van, or cramming in the kitchen or spare room.

Then painting, what I need to finish tomorrow after a gentleman comes around and gives me a carpet quote, I got no where to bloody sit, now I'm just laying in a makeshift bed on the floor, wishing I could carry on with my wizard game :(

I'm dead.

monkey-sad-robot-monkey.gif

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Ripped apart the inside of a double house with my father 10 years ago and completely renovated it from electricity over water installation to setting up new walls and everything that goes with it. Took us two years.

Thinking back i can't believe what we achieved and i doubt i could ever do it again. But it gave me an unimaginable sense of satisfaction and still does each day i live in it.

Push through because you will get to be a better being from all of this!

anthony2690

Ripped apart the inside of a double house with my father 10 years ago and completely renovated it from electricity over water installation to setting up new walls and everything that goes with it. Took us two years.

Thinking back i can't believe what we achieved and i doubt i could ever do it again. But it gave me an unimaginable sense of satisfaction and still does each day i live in it.

Push through because you will get to be a better being from all of this!
I use to do landscaping work when I was younger and loved it, as like you said the satisfaction you get from seeing what you've achieved it great.

But I'm like twice the age now and twice the size 🤣

Absolutely kicked my ass today.

What you did sound like an absolutely massive undertaking!

Con-Z-epT

I use to do landscaping work when I was younger and loved it, as like you said the satisfaction you get from seeing what you've achieved it great.

But I'm like twice the age now and twice the size 🤣

Absolutely kicked my ass today.

What you did sound like an absolutely massive undertaking!
It's because your not used to it. When we started i was like fresh and unbaked dough and in the end ripped and in the shape of my live. The human will can move mountains. I remember selling my console and not playing in that time or going to parties. It was crazy.

My father said that if he would have known what we are getting into beforehand then he'd never bought the house. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Good example with the landscaping! Think about it when you pick up the work again.

I'm at a point where i should renovate the living room but i push the date further and further for atleast a year now. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

anthony2690

It's because your not used to it. When we started i was like fresh and unbaked dough and in the end ripped and in the shape of my live. The human will can move mountains. I remember selling my console and not playing in that time or going to parties. It was crazy.

My father said that if he would have known what we are getting into beforehand then he'd never bought the house. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Good example with the landscaping! Think about it when you pick up the work again.

I'm at a point where i should renovate the living room but i push the date further and further for atleast a year now. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Next time, I'm just paying someone to do it for me 😂
Never again, I'm too old and lazy, and yeah good point I was in super good shape back when I did landscaping 😁

I barely touched the PS2, still enjoyed some great stuff like ff12, guitar hero, dark cloud, ape escape 2 etc but most my spare time I wanted to be around the ladies and MySpace 😂

Cyberpunkd

Ripping up carpet, I rip up carpet in the bedroom and to my horror there was fucking tiles, who puts carpet over tiles?!,
In France it’s very common to put new tiles on the old ones instead of taking them away and equalising the level, instead using an extra step to match with the connecting rooms (since each tile level raises the floor). It’s disgusting.

Also in the countryside they often put tiles in the living room, I mean WTF. Makes Poland look like the country of sophistication.

OZ9000

Next time, I'm just paying someone to do it for me 😂
Never again, I'm too old and lazy, and yeah good point I was in super good shape back when I did landscaping 😁

I barely touched the PS2, still enjoyed some great stuff like ff12, guitar hero, dark cloud, ape escape 2 etc but most my spare time I wanted to be around the ladies and MySpace 😂
I find home decorators to be con artists.

I'm getting my house built and the amount I've been charged for labour is mind boggling.

Hell I could do the painting myself I was so inclined however to be given quotes of £6,000 to paint the entire house is mental.

anthony2690

Oh yeah, we also found the copy of saints row, that my partner was 100% certain she never purchased back in November, it gave me great pride in saying "I TOLD YOU SO"

Amusingly she brought herself a new copy of the game only a week or ago 🤣

You're welcome Embracer, my missus did her part.

Wonder if I can have her spare copy 😁

Cyberpunkd

I find home decorators to be con artists.

I'm getting my house built and the amount I've been charged for labour is mind boggling.

Hell I could do the painting myself I was so inclined however to be given quotes of £6,000 to paint the entire house is mental.
Ah yes, i had contractors redoing my apartment. I checked every position on the invoice, in the end the final amount was 30% lower, the guy wasn’t even concerned he was caught.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
A lot of them work hard then take a long break and finish on time. I bet you powered through like a maniac. Don't do that. Or do. I dunno. Pace yourself.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I feel ya, and I wish I was as productive as some folks here.

In the time it took me to build my deck (I still haven't installed all the side skirts yet) but it's basically 95% done), developers around me finished multiple massive apartment blocks, bridges and whatnot. I suck.

anthony2690

lzBuCSs.jpg

Bedroom now, need to touch up a couple areas with some more paint (I've bloody coated this previously blue wall 3 times already)

Put some blinds up and new curtains, as I want to see out and let sunlight in, without people being able to see in)

UtPzvdC.jpg

Hallway, mostly painted, ripped up carpet, you see more tiles?! (Thankfully carpet man, said to leave them down, as I have no desire to rip up more tiles, even the living room had tiles under the carpet & underlay) 🤷‍♂️

No living room picture as it looks like a bomb has hit it currently (as we have mattress on the floor and and guerilla Xbox/TV set up with my my partner's stuff (so I can't even play my games as they boxed away with my console & it's filled with games she plays)

But can't wait till the rooms have a new fresh carpet down and some new units (wardrobes, lampshade, bed side units, new divan bed, my gaming set up/collection & my new office chair, as I keep reading they are the most comfortable, means I won't sit on the bed to game anymore) good times 💪

It's been a few years since I moved into my house and the thought of doing any decorating is still a huge NOPE. It's far too fucking soon for that shit again. The wallpaper and colours are all staying the same. The flooring is staying down. Nothing is being changed. At the most I might repaint door frames/skirtings/bannisters etc and honestly that's the worst part. I hate painting especially gloss paint.

My uncle used to be a decorator and I have no idea how in the hell he could do that shit for a living. I will only decorate if I absolutely need to and you couldn't pay me to do that shit. It's the most boring, tedious, frustrating, thing I can think of. It's not my idea of fun in the slightest. Get it to fuck.

OZ9000

It's been a few years since I moved into my house and the thought of doing any decorating is still a huge NOPE. It's far too fucking soon for that shit again. The wallpaper and colours are all staying the same. The flooring is staying down. Nothing is being changed. At the most I might repaint door frames/skirtings/bannisters etc and honestly that's the worst part. I hate painting especially gloss paint.

My uncle used to be a decorator and I have no idea how in the hell he could do that shit for a living. I will only decorate if I absolutely need to and you couldn't pay me to do that shit. It's the most boring, tedious, frustrating, thing I can think of. It's not my idea of fun in the slightest. Get it to fuck.
I don't mind the idea of painting tbh.

Put on a podcast or some music and you're good to go.

However it's such a time consuming task.

anthony2690

Oh yeah, we also found the copy of saints row, that my partner was 100% certain she never purchased back in November, it gave me great pride in saying "I TOLD YOU SO"

Amusingly she brought herself a new copy of the game only a week or ago 🤣

You're welcome Embracer, my missus did her part.

Wonder if I can have her spare copy 😁
Update to this, she told me to give her £10 for it, I'll maybe boot it up, if there is a dry spell at any point during this year, as so far the new game releases are insane 💪

Rox598

Moved into my own apartment last year

Went to paint the walls and lasted 30mins and went fuck this noise and got a painter in.

Worth every penny lol

anthony2690

Moved into my own apartment last year

Went to paint the walls and lasted 30mins and went fuck this noise and got a painter in.

Worth every penny lol
How much damage did the painter do to the wallet?

I imagine it saved your sanity though 💪

Last edited:

OZ9000

When it comes to anything like this, the rule of thumb is to treble the time estimate, double the cost and five times the fucking aggravation.
100%.

I am having a house built and am over budget by £100,000. Pain.

My dad who is managing the project estimated it would be complete by November.

I anticipate the earliest we'll have the house complete is the summer.

Last edited:

anthony2690

£200 for the living room and bedroom. Not bad and yeah it really did lol
That it? I expected £1k plus.

I should've looked it up tbh 😭

I spoke to my dad and he was telling me about how his friends daughter paid £300 deposit and quoted £1k but they never came back to paint & ignored their calls, so it scared me off haha

Rox598

That it? I expected £1k plus.

I should've looked it up tbh 😭

I spoke to my dad and he was telling me about how his friends daughter paid £300 deposit and quoted £1k but they never came back to paint & ignored their calls, so it scared me off haha

Well it was only white paint as I only moved in and didn't have an idea on colour scheme and the walls were all yellow'd but yeah I thought that was really good too oh and I had the paint already of course.

Gumtree is where I found him.

I'd never pay a deposit for a none registered company like that they get paid when the work is done and that's it.

22•22

Doesnt need recognition
Worked some years
as a landscaper. Grown forearms the size of my calves. Hard labor for sure.

Gardening, laying brick "roads" building fences, pools, the whole works.

Last edited:

anthony2690

YNQCZKS.jpg
ulgvpSl.jpg
xDET1zn.jpg
PnJpKoG.jpg

Update, still awaiting some units (bedside cabinets & bed base etc & need to throw a lot of crap out, what my missus will do Monday as the tip opens and I'm back at work)
& Still need to get out a lot of stuff from storage still (finally been able to continue my journey through Hogwarts today) 😁

I doubt anyone cares, but I just wanted to share, as I'm super happy with it so far. 😁

Top Bottom