• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do people feel about leaks hours before their intended reveal?

How do you feel about leaks hours before the event?

• Leak all over me baby. 😱

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don't mind either way, I wouldn't watch it live anyway.

Votes: 26 28.3%
  • I'd rather watch it live.

Votes: 50 54.3%

• Total voters

anthony2690

I am personally starting to think it's a little shitty, they have these events planned to showcase the upcoming content to their fans, in a way they have probably worked hard & spent resources to do this over various weeks or months.

Only for it be leaked online hours before for some internet clicks.

Insider gaming leaked Paradox's event hours prior and now capcom's.

Makes you wonder if they are going to do it with bigger upcoming events, what would generate much more clicks.

It would suck, if you've been looking forward to Xbox or PlayStation's big event and wanted to watch it live, just to have it all leaked hours before.

How do others feel here? I personally think if you're doing it literally hours before the event, it's not a good look.

I know many probably won't care either way, as they may not see it, till it's posted here or elsewhere on the internet anyway and have no interest in watching live.

anthony2690

I enjoy the drama, so bring on all the leaks whether fake or real.

Although I do feel bad for devs who don't like them.
funny-fat.gif

begotten

Who cares.

If I can still avoid sports results in 2023 and watch replays when I want, I'm sure you can restrain yourself and get off news sites.

Total bullshit, and really reveals the leaker to be a degenerate, worthless son of a bitch.

Leaking something months, years ahead of time could potentially be called reporting. Leaking something a few hours before a scheduled event that people will enjoy is about the same as spoiling the ending for people in a theater waiting in line for tickets just so people will look at you. It's the kind of thing that would get you punched in the face in real life. It's nothing but attention seeking. The benefit of learning the info a few hours early is non-existent. People spend money on crafting trailers and announcements and trying to make it enjoyable for people. And then everyone wonders why people are such jaded assholes talking about the magic being gone from live shows.

radewagon

My life's usually way too busy to care about when or how information on games is revealed. I used to be all about that stuff, but, I dunno, it all seems so trivial now. Just make good games and advertise them. I don't have tickets to the hype train.

Umbasaborne

Its marketing, im not gonna shed tears for a corporation because they couldnt advertise to me the way they wanted to for a product i was gonna give them money for anyway. Who cares if you know about something ahead of time. The secretiveness of this industry is one of its worst aspects. Leakers are clout seeking scum too, definitely dont feel bad for them when a company catches them either. They should go get a real job

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
All the leaks buddy. Give me the info as soon as possible. Preferably without some guy going blah blah blah.

cireza

It's completely dumb, and the guys doing this have absolutely nothing to gain by the way.

When we are about to have the MS show for example, I don't want the content to be leaked 2 hours before. So I basically avoid video-games websites when this happen.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Id rather watch it live or rather unspoiled so its a "surprise".....reading the surprise then watching it well....its not surprising.

But I blame myself for being on gaming sites that could possibly spoil me.

I do wish thread titles here didnt have spoilers though.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Id rather watch it live or rather unspoiled so its a "surprise".....reading the surprise then watching it well....its not surprising.

But I blame myself for being on gaming sites that could possibly spoil me.

I do with thread titles here didnt have spoilers though.
Same, I really hate when people put spoilers in titles.

Really annoying.

hemo memo

It depends on the leak if it a shity potato quality or just pics then I would rather watch it live just to be more organized.

Rykan

Worrying about leaks for Marketing Campaigns is some truly next level consumerism.

Last edited:
Insider culture is poison.

You can think of it of as just “marketing” all you want but its part of gaming culture to be excited by reveals. Look how cool it was when hi fi rush or metroid got shadow dropped, imagine if you knew at 10am in the morning? Sure its still a good game coming out but its no longer a big moment, which just robs us of something to talk about and be excited about all so some insider gets some clicks and/or clout.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I don't like leaks.

The ones that made me the angriest was PS5 reveal and full game leaks.

Once you know something is out you can avoid it for the most part. It's when your reading a topic and someone just blurts something out.

Crayon

I don't care either way. Leaks are just rumors, anyhow. It's too easy to get followers by pretending you know stuff.

Kacho

I like being surprised but it doesn’t really matter. As long as the leak is relevant to my interests I’ll still get excited.

RCU005

It’s funny how those people that watch the leaks or even asked for them, are the first to complain that there were no surprises.

Graciaus

I don't watch anything and would just read highlights if anything. Leaks and rumors are more interesting than actual reveals sometimes.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The secretiveness of this industry is one of its worst aspects.
fox tv GIF by MasterChef Junior

Disney at least had the grace to let us know about every movie they're gonna be making for their next marvel phase

everyone in the gaming industry likes to keep shit hush hush like it's none ov our business even though it clearly is

i say let the leaks happen, it saves you a couple hours to just have everything shown in a disappointing showcase to be leaked out to you in text

Lasha

I have no strong opinions either way. Many leaks turn out to be false. Master Chief coming to smash was to be announced during many Nintendo directs. Its hard to spoil marketing.

Sentenza

I don't give damn.
Never seen a leak that managed to "kill the hype" for something I genuinely cared about.
And conversely when a leak was enough to "spoil the surprise" it was usually because it was an underwhelming reveal to begin with.

Aenima

Personally i dont really mind them, but i find it disrespectfull for the devs and ppl involved in the event. So i would rather just know by watching the show.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel indifferent, at end of the day what I care about the most is announcement itself. if Muramasa modern system port get announced, it doesn't matter to me if it got leaked or gets officially announce in direct or something, as long as I get confirmation its coming out then I'm happy.

Robb

I don’t care much if stuff leaks or not. If the announcement is exciting it’ll still be exciting when it actually happens.

tmlDan

It's weird cause I scour the internet for leaks but id much rather be surprised at the actual event than know prior.

I am the problem lol

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I like to watch conferences, events, directs, etc. and enjoy being surprised with the marketing, so it's annoying. In general, leaks like that are just there for clout chasing, so I don't really respect it.

BWJinxing

I'm for the leaks.

Why sit through a 1 hour long press conference to get what simply could have been a email.

Unless it's some sort of gameplay or detailed presentation, I might be compelled to sit and watch.

But these days, so you really need marketing? If the product is actually good, social media and the channels will do the lifting.

I.e. that hi fi rush game

Drizzlehell

I don't follow any leaks. I mostly live in a bubble of comfortable ignorance where I keep revisiting 20 year old games that remind me of the simpler days of my childhood, with an occassional new game that I play here and there if it doesn't immediately make me feel depressed and hateful about the state of modern VG industry.

For me it depends on the leak. Some I would prefer see when the devellopers intend to, some I don't care either way and some I prefer the leak better than the official reveal.
the Resident Evil 4 remake demo being a example of it. I prefer see the leak of a possible demo later in the day, see people say not its impossible, and have the proof come just after that.

Top Bottom