• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reports real NPD handheld sales for November.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/674/674746p1.html

The NPD numbers are trickling in, and though we don't have the final spot on tally sales figures on hand, it's clear that Nintendo is still holding its own against the pure muscle that Sony's flexing with its PlayStation Portable.

November was expected to be Sony's biggest month yet with the release of Grand Theft Auto for the PSP, but even with those huge guns, both the Nintendo DS and the Game Boy Advance managed to outsell the Sony portable individually.

No system slouched in sales, though. Sony managed to sell more than 360,000 systems in the span of November. But the Nintendo DS, using the brutality of Mario Kart DS and other key titles already on the shelves, got more than 380,000 systems in gamers' hands. Of course, the Game Boy Advance, with its newly released Micro design as well as the brand new, brighter SP system, beat both systems combined: Nintendo sold through approximately 900,000 GBA systems in November.
PSP - 360K+
DS - 380K+
GBA ~900K

cvxfreak

Wow @ the GBA.

If Nintendo redesigned the DS, they need to place WAAAAAAY more emphasis on the GBA playback and include the same power port as the micro for complete compatibility.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Incorrect Numbers:

Game Boy Advance 892,438
GameCube 278,284
Nintendo DS 381,619
PlayStation 2 546,096
PlayStation Portable 359,772
Xbox 191,320
Xbox 360 332,121

Yup. Same numbers. IGN is late!

jj984jj

That's weird, doesn't any big public media source have to go through NPD before releasing these numbers?

Mashing

It's possible the handheld numbers are correct (and there were other problems with NPD). I don't think they'd post a story about it with incorrect #'s this late in the game (Gamespot did yesterday, but that understandable as we didn't find out the numbers are wrong until later that day). Still, I am skeptical.

CVXFREAK said:
Wow @ the GBA.

If Nintendo redesigned the DS, they need to place WAAAAAAY more emphasis on the GBA playback and include the same power port as the micro for complete compatibility.

Those are the exact same numbers. Which doesn't mean that the numbers weren't released, but I haven't heard anything yet.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Mrbob said:
Funny to see Craig's spin though.

November was expected to be Sony's biggest month yet with the release of Grand Theft Auto for the PSP, but even with those huge guns, both the Nintendo DS and the Game Boy Advance managed to outsell the Sony portable individually.

You mean that part? That's not spin, really. The perception everywhere was that GTA:pSP would rocket the PSP over an already limping NDS. Even when the NDS started picking up again, people said GTA for the kill. It didn't happen. He's just pointing that out. It's much more like rubbing salt in a wound than it is spin :)

Teddman

If I were paying money as a NPD subscriber, I'd be miffed.

No PSP numbers last month (was there ever an explanation?), they are consistently inconsistent with the date on which numbers are released, and now this monkey business yesterday... They promised a speedy correction today but so far apparently haven't delivered?

Teddman said:

No PSP numbers last month (was there ever an explanation?), they are consistently inconsistent with the date on which numbers are released, and now this monkey business yesterday... They promised a speedy correction today but so far apparently haven't delivered?

NPD subscribers got thier PSP numbers last month.

The report I saw also didn't promise to have a correction today. Just an update.

jj984jj

Teddman said:

October numbers for PSP were released, just that we never heard what they were.

Teddman

sonycowboy said:
NPD subscribers got thier PSP numbers last month.

The report I saw also didn't promise to have a correction today. Just an update.
Well, you get the idea. They are still pretty sloppy. The industry needs a unified tracking system like soundscan, you don't see Billboard having these issues.

The way this forum revolves around sales, there ought to be a collection taken up for a subscriber account. I'm sure with all the contributors it could be done. I vote you as chairman of the GAF NPD fund.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It could be that the handheld numbers are at least accurate. I mean, hell doesn't IGN check Gamespot?! :D

Teddman said:
Well, you get the idea. They are still pretty sloppy. The industry needs a unified tracking system like soundscan, you don't see Billboard having these issues.

The way this forum revolves around sales, there ought to be a collection taken up for a subscriber account. I'm sure with all the contributors it could be done. I vote you as chairman of the GAF NPD fund.

NPD has very strict rules about how many "eyes" can see the numbers. Even inside of the appropriate VG industry corps. The subscription has very specific restrictions (which nobody really follows).

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
sonycowboy said:
NPD has very strict rules about how many "eyes" can see the numbers. Even inside of the appropriate VG industry corps. The subscription has very specific restrictions (which nobody really follows).
I'm pretty sure they don't track inner corporate excel spreadsheets.

Beowvlf

Banned
If these numbers are indeed correct, then the overstated numbers NPD mentioned mustn't be across the board. Solely in regards to the 360 perhaps? PS2?

elostyle said:
I'm pretty sure they don't track inner corporate excel spreadsheets.

The data isn't in spreadsheets. It's in their own application. The exports are what end up getting leaked, and yes, it's how the numbers are traditionally distributed inside of most companies. I'm speaking towards the agreements that folks have to sign to get the subscription.

Speevy

Banned
Heian-kyo said:
If these numbers are indeed correct, then the overstated numbers NPD mentioned mustn't be across the board. Solely in regards to the 360 perhaps? PS2?

I think we'll find out soon enough, though I doubt it's just one system.

Heian-kyo said:

The odds of IGN's number being correct is probably less than a 100-1. Possible, but not likely.

This is going to cause people conniptions, but I'll go ahead and put it out there anway:

In the past, NPD has made only minor errors and the corrected data was generally consistent with the data set that was withdrawn. This month, we believe that the corrected data will differ materially from the data initially issued.

In its first data release, the NPD group projected total U.S. console software sales for November of $818 million, down 4% compared to last year and significantly higher than our $715 million estimate. Unfortunately, the methodology used by the NPD to extrapolate the data from raw data captured to projected industry sales was materially different than the methodology used in the past. In past extrapolations, the NPD presumed that its raw data set captured approximately 62 – 64% of all sales, and it grossed up the raw data in arriving at its projections by the inverse of this
figure. This month, the NPD presumed that its raw data set captured only 53% of all sales, and its gross up factor was materially higher than normal.

In terms of raw data captured, November sell-through was down 21% year-over-year. Because the gross up factor used in November 2005 was significantly higher than the factor used in November 2004, the initial NPD data projection showed November 2005 sell-through down only 4% compared to last year.

We believe that the mass merchants not included in the NPD’s data set (notably, Wal-Mart and Costco) indeed gained share on the other retailers represented in the NPD raw data. However, we think that it is aggressive to assume market share gains of the magnitude implied by the NPD gross up factor. On balance, we expect to see the
restatement reflect a decline in sell-through close to our forecast of negative 15%. The table below contrasts the disparities created by the NPD’s choice of gross-up factors. In our view, it is unlikely that a small difference in year- over-year sales for Electronic Arts, for example, contributed such a dramatic gain in projected sales. Even more
striking is the Total Industry disparity.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
This is on the level of:

trumandeweywins1oi.jpg

DEWEY WINS!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Something I've been wondering for awhile. Didn't Nintendo start it's own retail tracking system during the N64 days? I forget it's name...maybe it started with an e or an s. Am I completely tripping, or did this exist at one time? I couldn't find any info when I googled, but I swear I remember reading about this years ago.

Jiggy

malek4980 said:
What spin?
Basically the whole thing.
The NPD numbers are trickling in, and though we don't have the final spot on tally sales figures on hand, it's clear that Nintendo is still holding its own
That term carries a connotation of losing, but coming close and hanging on. The real system that's "holding its own" is the PSP.
against the pure muscle that Sony's flexing with its PlayStation Portable.
Promotes the PSP.
November was expected to be Sony's biggest month yet with the release of Grand Theft Auto for the PSP, but even with those huge guns
Not spin, but still a funny slip considering that GTA is only one huge gun.
both the Nintendo DS and the Game Boy Advance managed to outsell the Sony portable individually.
Makes it sound as though it was a close race or as if there was a question as to which would win. For the DS vs. the PSP, sure, but the GBA didn't "manage" to outsell the PSP; it very clearly outperformed both that and the DS.
No system slouched in sales, though. Sony managed to sell more than 360,000 systems in the span of November.
There's that "managed" phrase again. The PSP has already been selling well in America; 360,000 isn't such a big jump over the norm during the holiday season that it should be represented like it's surprising.
But the Nintendo DS, using the brutality of Mario Kart DS and other key titles already on the shelves, got more than 380,000 systems in gamers' hands.
Presumptive. No clear data to say what it was that pushed DS systems; Mario Kart may (or may not) be one of those titles that sold to people who already owned DSes to begin with.
Of course, the Game Boy Advance, with its newly released Micro design as well as the brand new, brighter SP system, beat both systems combined: Nintendo sold through approximately 900,000 GBA systems in November.
Presumptive again. As far as I know, NPD isn't so detailed that it provides separate tallies on how many SPs sold, how many new backlit SPs sold, and how many Micros sold. There's no information to say one way or the other why the GBA sold as well as it did (supposedly, and assuming the numbers aren't too far off after all).

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
The table below contrasts the disparities created by the NPD’s choice of gross-up factors. In our view, it is unlikely that a small difference in year- over-year sales for Electronic Arts, for example, contributed such a dramatic gain in projected sales.
So is this table basically a table of multiplications factors per platform and publisher because, say, gbas sell at a higher ratio at the untracked stores vs. the tracked stores?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Jiggy37 said:
That term carries a connotation of losing, but coming close and hanging on. The real system that's "holding its own" is the PSP.
Promotes the PSP.
Makes it sound as though it was a close race or as if there was a question as to which would win. For the DS vs. the PSP, sure, but the GBA didn't "manage" to outsell the PSP; it very clearly outperformed both that and the DS.
There's that "managed" phrase again. The PSP has already been selling well in America; 360,000 isn't such a big jump over the norm during the holiday season that it should be represented like it's surprising.
Presumptive. No clear data to say what it was that pushed DS systems; Mario Kart may (or may not) be one of those titles that sold to people who already owned DSes to begin with.
Presumptive again. As far as I know, NPD isn't so detailed that it provides separate tallies on how many SPs sold, how many new backlit SPs sold, and how many Micros sold. There's no information to say one way or the other why the GBA sold as well as it did (supposedly, and assuming the numbers aren't too far off after all).

WOW.............

sangreal

Jiggy37 said:
As far as I know, NPD isn't so detailed that it provides separate tallies on how many SPs sold, how many new backlit SPs sold, and how many Micros sold. There's no information to say one way or the other why the GBA sold as well as it did (supposedly, and assuming the numbers aren't too far off after all).

NPD has seperate data for each SKU

datruth29

Jiggy37 said:
Promotes the PSP.

They should have just said, "Here are the NPD #'s:" and continue with showing the numbers and thats it. But then again, people will probably still read between the lines and come up with things to complain about....

Ponn

Banned
I would say those GBA numbers are correct. On Black Friday EVERY store had some great deal on GBA SP's like Walmarts for under 50 bucks.

Tiktaalik

So is GBA development going to pick up again? I certainly hope so. It seems to be slowly dying off. FFV, FFVI and Pirate Battle are the only games I can think of that I want coming up... I don't know if Nintendo even has anything in the pipeline now that Mario Tennis and DK3 have been released.

Top Bottom