• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Honda PCX scooter. Anyone have one?

Blade2.0

Been looking at these a lot more recently and really thinking about putting the money down. Does anyone have a reason I shouldn't or a better alternative near the same price (4k for 2021 model) used one below that.

Cravis

Ia39SP7.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sure, I see scooters dance around in traffic all the time, I’d recommend a motorcycle though.

Pol Pot

Banned
I had a Yamaha Smax(their version of the pcx) and it was a great little bike. It would do around 70mph.
I personally outgrew it quickly.
You might be better served to find a used, well maintained motorcycle with a higher displacement for around the same price.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Just get a small displacement motorcycle, unless you're absolutely sure you'll never want to ride it on the highway.

New Ninja 400s, Yamaha R3s are all around the $5-6k price range.

You could also go for a Honda Grom. https://powersports.honda.com/street/sport/grom

If you're set on a Scooter type of deal, there was another type of electric scooter that highrider highrider posted about not too long ago. Looked good.

Kenpachii

inform yourself what hte maintenance of it is, and if repairing simple things is easy done like, getting to the engine.

I had a bike once and fuck me a 5 buck part on the top that fixes leaking costed me like a grand to replace because the entire thing had to be pulled apart.

Pagusas

Elden Member
How are electric motorcycles and scooters not the norm yet? You’d think it would have been the first area to see full conversion

dcll

Banned
Man scooters are lame, you can get a good used motorcycle for that kind of money

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Never drove one. But you want something 250cc+ if you're in the US. I have a 125cc Yamaha Qbix scooter I got for my gf, and I have a 200cc GPX Gentleman naked bike. They work great in SEA, where you're not traveling long distances or going too fast. The Qbix will top out at 90-100kph. The GPX at 130-140kph with enough road. Back in Miami I had a Rowdy 150, which was a Chinese knockoff of the Honda Big Ruckus. Topping out at 52mph was unsettling when crossing the causeways. It's not pleasant having cars flying by you at a 30mph differential.

MastaKiiLA

Just get a small displacement motorcycle, unless you're absolutely sure you'll never want to ride it on the highway.

New Ninja 400s, Yamaha R3s are all around the $5-6k price range.

You could also go for a Honda Grom. https://powersports.honda.com/street/sport/grom

If you're set on a Scooter type of deal, there was another type of electric scooter that highrider highrider posted about not too long ago. Looked good.
I had a Grom. Barely quicker than a scooter of the same displacement, with the same shitty small wheels. Dropped it a few times. Tires are garbage. I'd sooner get a low-displacement CBR than that piece of shit. Oh yeah, the Grom's chain is garbage. Needs tightening far too often. At least the first gen ones did.

I assume the OP wants a scooter for the added carry capacity. They're much better for running errands than naked/sports bikes.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Seems a bit pricey for a scoot. Do my daily commute on a kymco agility and I've prob paid $20 in gas for the last 5 years

Raven117

I echo some of the others. A used 250cc with a saddle bag (or something similar) of your choosing would give you slightly more power and look way cooler.

Blade2.0

I like cruiser type motorcycles more than sporty. Are there many good, cheap 250CC ones in that range? I was looking at used Honda Shadows or a Honda rebel, but those are a bit pricey for new.

Edit: just saw the rebel has a 300CC and a 500CC. Might be a good option. Doesn't have to be Honda though, if you guys know better and/or cheaper offers in all ears.

Last edited:

Mohonky

How are electric motorcycles and scooters not the norm yet? You’d think it would have been the first area to see full conversion

There's a lot of them out there, but batteries (they are fucking expensive).

If the price was lower they'd be way more popular. Some offroad motorbikes would have trouble shaking off some of the electric mountain bikes I've seen.

Pol Pot

Banned
I like cruiser type motorcycles more than sporty. Are there many good, cheap 250CC ones in that range? I was looking at used Honda Shadows or a Honda rebel, but those are a bit pricey for new.

Edit: just saw the rebel has a 300CC and a 500CC. Might be a good option. Doesn't have to be Honda though, if you guys know better and/or cheaper offers in all ears.
If you can find one for around the same price as the pcx, I highly recommend the Honda CTX700DCT.

675cc, sport cruiser-ish, and fully automatic like a scoot.
I just searched cycle trader and $5200 seemed to be the low end of pricing though.

Blade2.0

If you can find one for around the same price as the pcx, I highly recommend the Honda CTX700DCT.

675cc, sport cruiser-ish, and fully automatic like a scoot.
I just searched cycle trader and $5200 seemed to be the low end of pricing though.
I'll be on the lookout.

xrnzaaas

A lot of the people still buy a motorcycle for the thrill and a large part of it comes from feeling (and hearing) that you're sitting on top of an engine. For city commutes they will be getting more and more popular as their prices go down and the batteries get more range.

GymWolf

I need to change my 2014 beverly 350st too, i'm thinking about a yamaha tmax or some other bi-cilindric with at least 55-60 horses, but they are pricey as fuck, you buy a car with the same money.

GymWolf

Scooters are cool if you're not looking to show off. They're priced reasonably, comfortable (minus the basic models) and you're not gonna kill yourself because of having too much power with too easy access to it.
Lol...

You probably didn't followed the scooter market in the last 10-15 years, we have scooter with more horse power than many motorcycles and great aesthetic.

Sure, they are not a yamaha r6 2006 model, but who is?!

And this comes from a ex motorcycle owner and fanatic, you don't really need one of that anymore to have some power under your ass, unless you like to drive at constantly 250km\h everywhere...

Last edited:
Top Bottom