• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ingrown toenail (procedure experience)

You know when sometimes you hear about these things but never think anything of it because it doesnt happen to you. Well I just dealt with it and realized like many other things in life, dont suffer, just go to the doctor and get that shit sorted in minutes because its such a common occurrence especially in guys since we wear a lot of sneakers. Basically I dealt with uncomfortable pain for liek 3 months straight because being a typical guy thinking its just gonna sort itself, put some cream on bla bla. But by trying to fix it yourself you just make it worse. So I finally decided to visit a doctor and was kicking myself in the face for not doing this sooner. It was literally a 10 minute procedure.

Injecting around your toe the anesthetic is mildly uncomfortable but no biggie really. In seconds your whole toe becomes numb. I was lying down so couldn't see the procedure nor would I want to especially when I saw them throwing away the used material and how much blood was everywhere. What they do is cut your toenail in half towards the side that is bending hard inwards so that it can naturally continue growing straight. Like I said you dont feel a thing. They did suggest I come first few days for them to do cleanup and bandage swap. I thought its gonna be a pain to keep going every day but decided to go first at least to see what they do. Glad I did because that is definitely not how I would of cleaned a fresh wound lol. This part I gotta admit I was biting my arm, trying not to let a sound because it gets uncomfortable. The nurse dips the cotton pad in Povidine or whatever it is and not gently, but shoves that thing down hard in your meat all the way around a few times to make sure any access pus comes out and nothing is left. And thats it, in 7 days the doctor said the wound will heal and im good to go.

I donno why exactly I made the topic, maybe to encourage people just go to the doctor and get it fixed instead of suffer for no reason if you obviously cant fix it yourself. Also, by mentioning this to a friend, he said he knows a guy that kept it off for so long to visit a doctor that he got some major complications and infections that it was 50/50 if they will amputate his toe. So dont fuck about.

Last edited:

bati

Had the same procedure done when I was about 16 or 17. I felt such intense relief afterwards, it was unreal. Would definitely recommend the 'operation' to anyone suffering from this.

MacReady13

About 15 years ago I had an ingrown toe nail. It was on the big toe. I could hardly put shoes on. At work, I was walking on the side of my foot to not lean anywhere on my big toe.
Lying down next to my girlfriend at the time, if she even lightly rubbed her foot against my toe, I would literally cry in pain it was that severe.
1 night whilst watching tv I had had enough. I grabbed the nail clippers and, through tears, blood and gritted teeth, i cut the nail and eventually got to the ingrown nail. It was so long and hurt so much yet, once I had ripped it out, I had instant relief. It has never given me grief like that again. Soon as I feel it starting to get a little pain I get the nail clippers out and cut it out of there.
Seriously it was some of the most intense pain I've ever had in my life.

notseqi

After my painful experience I learned to clip them right... with the help of a professional. A friend of the family; she said, don't pay me for this, do it yourself.
Get a disinfectant spray and make up pads, tweezers too if you don't have them already to clear your unibrow. Clip your nails as far to the side as possible, even drawing blood, be brave little soldier.
Spray disinfectant on it, rip a make up pad to 1/8th, jam it in there with the tweezers. Let that portion heal.

As soon as thats done youre gonna be good. Maybe your nails are gonna lash out every once in a while but you need to remember to cut them early, had no problems ever again. It should be a one time problem.

AMA

got to the ingrown nail. It was so long and hurt so much yet, once I had ripped it out, I had instant relief. It has never given me grief like that again. Soon as I feel it starting to get a little pain I get the nail clippers out and cut it out of there.
Seriously it was some of the most intense pain I've ever had in my life.

You probably know by now but cut from the middle from that toe in a shape that should resemble a low angle V to the outside of the nail. Don't cut to the end but 3/4 there. Reapply your clippers with low force, no cutting, and slowly tear the rest down in a motion that should resemble an upturned 'J'. You will be able to get the soft grown nail out, it'll sometimes be slightly bloody.

Last edited:

ntropy

I had one when I was 15. it got pretty nasty
there was a cute nurse when I went to the foot doctor, and I felt so embarrassed by it :messenger_expressionless:

you can get the root removed if it keeps coming back

J-Roderton

Had one real bad when I was in high school. Ended up getting horribly infected due to playing sports and stuff/getting dirty. Had it ripped off basically at a foot doctor office. The numbing shots did nothing due to how infected it was. Worst pain I’ve ever felt in my life. Ever.

It grew back. Had it surgically taken off a few years later.

Several years later, it’s back again. Had it removed at foot doc again. This time numbing shots worked and they ended up swabbing some kinda acid stuff up In there.

Been big toenail free for about 6 years now.

Moral of the story: don’t fuck again with ingrown nails. Save yourself the pain and do what you can to prevent it.

Last edited:

deafmedal

One of my nervous tics is picking/ripping my finger and toenails bloody. Right now, I have several that I went too far on- raw, exposed, tender nail beds. I subsequently get ingrown shit often, pretty sure I’m developing one on my middle finger on my right hand currently. I usually use a safety pin or razor blade to lance, drain and remove. I’ve also ran a finger nail along the pus pocket to squeeze the pus out until I could get home to remove.

I also have a kind of permanent one on my middle finger on my left hand after jabbing a running Philips drill bit in there. Went to the doctor for that one since I couldn’t remember my last tetanus shot. But it doesn’t really grow “in” per se, it’s just really fucked off and I have to trim it back in a specific manner.

Well groomed my nails are not. But I’m no bitch made girly boy either, these are the hands of someone who has worked hard for decades. I do clean them up before fun time with the misses, filing can be quite the experience with exposed nail bed 😉

Top Bottom