• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2016 | It's app-me, Mario

killercow

killercow

Oynox

I never really paid attention to the end-of-the-year sales but do they usually last over the Appstore freezing until next year? Would be great to have some weeks of thinking about which games to pick up

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I never really paid attention to the end-of-the-year sales but do they usually last over the Appstore freezing until next year? Would be great to have some weeks of thinking about which games to pick up

The App Store freeze is only from 23 to 27 December so I'm expecting a featuring update on the 30th.

Of course ongoing sales are up to individual developers so there may be some specials that persist.

NeoRaider

Um... The Bug Butcher is 3.99 for me. Not 0.99...

I see that Agent A is on sale, from 2.99 to 0.99. Is it a good game? Anyone played it? Also new chapter for the games is released today.

killercow

Um... The Bug Butcher is 3.99 for me. Not 0.99...

I see that Agent A is on sale, from 2.99 to 0.99. Is it a good game? Anyone played it? Also new chapter for the games is released today.

The sale for The Bug Butcher was over in a few hours, seems like they pushed the button too soon. I really recommend Agent A (I've used the word "excellent" just a few posts above yours ;) ) Weirdly enough this update was supposed to hit on December 22nd.

NeoRaider

The sale for The Bug Butcher was over in a few hours, seems like they pushed the button too soon. I really recommend Agent A (I've used the word "excellent" just a few posts above yours ;) ) Weirdly enough this update was supposed to hit on December 22nd.

So will it be on sale again or it was just a mistake? I mean what's the point of few hours sale?

I missed your post about Agent A, thanks for the info.

killercow

So will it be on sale again or it was just a mistake? I mean what's the point of few hours sale?

I missed your post about Agent A, thanks for the info.

I'm assuming that it'll go on sale again but should be live this Thursday. I'll post when it's happening.

The Nimbus is a great controller (one of the best for iPad actually) and with the huge catalog of MFi games you'll be in for a treat. Go for it!

Thanks. Ordered. Amazon UK had it in stock. It also charges via lightning. perfect. Will keep it in my bag with iPad at all times. Looks like I'll finally finish FFIX with this. :D

Chorazin

Damn, wasn't gonna bother with Lost Socks but for free I'm all in.

Thanks ! Let me know what you think.

It's pretty cool! It's not something I'd sit down JUST to play, but I'll definitely be using it during meetings at work to stay awake. :-D

Lumines got an update with a couple new skins.

Also, Mario got updated with some bug fixes which gives everyone on the App Store a fresh opportunity to complain about having to pay money for things. :(

Pachimari

I want Jade Empire, Total War and The Quest to go on sale. But only The Quest have a slight chance, although I think none of them will see Christmas sales.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This may be of interest to some, Kabam's Marvel Contest of Champions studio, along with the game got wholesale bought by Netmarble (publisher of other Marvel iOS game Future Fight among many others) for $850 million US.

Kabam Inc. is selling the bulk of its assets to South Korea’s Netmarble Games Corp., effectively exiting the fast-growing but hypercompetitive business of creating games for mobile devices.

The deal, expected to close in the first quarter of 2017, gives Netmarble control over the Vancouver, British Columbia, studio that created Kabam’s most prized game, “Marvel: Contest of Champions.” The studio generates 95% of Kabam’s revenues.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/kabam-s...ts-to-south-koreas-netmarble-games-1482192002

Pachimari

Bullet Force has just released on the App Store. It's a F2P first person multiplayer shooter and seems to be better than the Modern Combat series. Question is if it's also better than Critical Ops.

Angry Birds Blast and The Walking Dead S3 are releasing later this week too.

Boney

Banned
If you need a change of pace from Mario madness:

Star Tactics, $2.99
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-tactics/id1114901207
screen520x924.jpeg

===

Also, Pavilion is coming to mobile
https://twitter.com/TheVisiontrick/status/810141501925658624
fOSFnfxl.jpg
All I want for Christmas is my star tactics yum
iPhone compatible 👌

Pachimari

So many games just went on sale:

- Mini Metro (99c)
- Alto's Adventure
- X-Com: Enemy Within
- Botanicula
- Transistor
- Limbo
- Samorost 3
- NBA 2K17
- Crypt of the Necrodancer
- Machinarium

baconcow

Just double dipped on Mini Metro and Crypt of the Necrodancer! Thanks for the heads up. Picked up Reigns and Card Crawl earlier (both still on sale).

Voidance

How is the Final Fantasy 1 iOS port? Reviews seem positive and I've never played it; this sale might be a good time to check it out.

am_dragon

How is the Final Fantasy 1 iOS port? Reviews seem positive and I've never played it; this sale might be a good time to check it out.

I'm 19 hours in, it plays great. No real complaints considering the age of the game. If I had to nitpick the D-pad can be a bit loose at times, really it's fine though, there isn't any need for precision movement in the game. I bought it a while back and finally decided to play it. I beat it when it was new on the NES, so remembered very little about the game.

EDIT: Sales... I'm running out of space. I just bought Bug Butcher, Space Marshals 2, Mini Metro, Bastion, and I'm on the fence about Crypt of the Necrodancer (love roguelike games, suck at rhythm games) and XCOM:Enemy Within (backlog and 3.+ GB install). Now I'm seeing all the FF games are on sale so I want IV and VI need to see if I get some iTunes cards this weekend.

PittaGAF

OMG, Super Mario Run just added a new mode, friend challenge, i.e. toad rally directly against friends (this doesn't count for the total toads of course).

You can challenge any friend from your friends list, you have a finite number of tries according how many worlds you completed.

Pachimari

OMG, Super Mario Run just added a new mode, friend challenge, i.e. toad rally directly against friends (this doesn't count for the total toads of course).

You can challenge any friend from your friends list, you have a finite number of tries according how many worlds you completed.
Fuck this is great and what I wanted. So they do add new content lmao!

I really wish Chaos Rings 3 would go on sale.

killercow

I just bought it last night on discount. Ill let you know. Ive been eyeing this on Vita but since I ordered an MFI controller, may as well play on iOS.

Just as an FYI: The MFi support in The Bug Butcher is bugged since iOS 10.1, Noodlecake is on it though and it should be fixed "soon-ish".

Pachimari

I see Chaos Rings 3 is 50% off. I bought it. No more waiting.

[edit] So I've played it a bit. It looks a little rough but I was able to set the resolution up to high and it's not that bad. Music is beautiful, set up is interesting, and controls seems fine. Battles feel really good and is turn based like classic Final Fantasies. Unfortunately the camera movement is slow and you can't change that, and the camera is stuck in Towns, and movie scenes looks weird with a big fat black bar at the bottom but none at the top. Still, I'm rather positive about it so far.

I also just bought Framed for 99c on sale!

Just as an FYI: The MFi support in The Bug Butcher is bugged since iOS 10.1, Noodlecake is on it though and it should be fixed "soon-ish".

was talking about adventures of mana :)

I see Chaos Rings 3 is 50% off. I bought it. No more waiting.

[edit] So I've played it a bit. It looks a little rough but I was able to set the resolution up to high and it's not that bad. Music is beautiful, set up is interesting, and controls seems fine. Battles feel really good and is turn based like classic Final Fantasies. Unfortunately the camera movement is slow and you can't change that, and the camera is stuck in Towns, and movie scenes looks weird with a big fat black bar at the bottom but none at the top. Still, I'm rather positive about it so far.

I also just bought Framed for 99c on sale!

ooooo. time to buy. thanks.

Oynox

Mini metro is on sale for 99 cents as well.

Bought Card Crawl. God what I missed in 2015! That game is marvelous! Would be my goty lol

igor

How's Final Fantasy IX on iOS, it seems they nicked a little off the price. Never played it before and I have a long journey home ahead of me so was thinking of picking it up. It's still expensive but I'd rather pay a little bit more for a proper Final Fantasy than Chaos Rings.

Does it feature iCloud saves?

Also been wondering about Civilisation Revolution 2 - how does it play on mobile, and compares to the bigger game?

Pachimari

You can't go wrong with Final Fantasy IX on iOS. It plays and controls well. Although it does take up 4gb of space, so be prepared for that.

killercow

Also been wondering about Civilisation Revolution 2 - how does it play on mobile, and compares to the bigger game?

It's not bad but it's definitely not great. Its UI is not intuitive, the game removes entire aspects of the desktop version and feels like a bad compromise not really made for mobile.

I'd recommend checking out The Battle for Polytopia instead.

was talking about adventures of mana :)

Oh right, sorry :)

Top Bottom