• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is destiny 2 worth getting into as a single player game?

Shut0wen

Never played any of the destiny games and was wondering if they are worth getting into? Had a quick glance and there seems to be a shit load of pricey expansions i know its some weird fps mmo kinda game but none of my friends want to play the game so was wondering if its decent to solo or better playing with randoms? Also are the expansions worth getting if i end up liking the game? Because ive seen alot of conflicting things about the game from fans and such

It was... 5 years ago, before they started deleting campaigns.
Finally someone who has the same opinion as I do.

I thought the first game was pretty sweet. I'm also in the minority because I liked Peter Dinklage as the Ghost.

But once Destiny 2 came out it looked pretty shitty. But by the time they apparently "fixed" it I hear that they deleted some cool planets from the first game. So I'll never play it.

sainraja

If you jump in now, you will continue from Shadowkeep to the latest campaign which is Lightfall. To answer your question, I would say it is still worth getting into the game for the single player campaign.

If you're just gonna solo some of the content, get the expansions on sale. There should be enough free content to make it easy to get started.

Cornbread78

If he's starting today, why would he care? The reductive nature of Destiny comments is always amusing to read.

The fact of the matter is that the story content now is 100x better than anything released in the first 3 years.

So yes, Shut0wen Shut0wen .

Starting now as a solo player would give you access to hundreds of hours of content from story, strikes, gambit, pvp, seasonal activities & general world map activities; almost everything has mm now.

The only things you would miss out on would be high-end Endgame activites like raids & Grandmaster nightfalls.

Last edited:

begotten

I don't know why they don't let you pick and choose what content to have installed. Don't Ubisoft games have something like this going with their new games? It's really off-putting knowing you can't go back and play the old content properly.

gamerEMdoc

Neo Member
Most of the content you are going to need to play with other people if your goal is to rank up (which is the point of destiny). The good thing is, 90% of it is totally fine playing with random matchmaking. I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into Destiny 2 and played nearly all of the online content with random matchmaking. The thing that stinks about Destiny 2 though is that the funnest content to play (dungeons, raids, and high level nightfalls) don't have matchmaking. Which is honestly what pushed me away from the game. I got tired of having to go on the destiny app or a 3rd party app looking for someone to play content with. If they had some system of matchmaking for higher level content, I'd probably go back.

BlakeofT

If you know that you'll never want to make friends, then I'd say no, don't bother. If you're open to the idea, then yes, definitely try it out since it's free and it can be a ton of fun. Be warned, it's a huge time sink.

Shubh_C63

Destiny fan here, hard NO.

All Campaigns are bad to about average, nothing you would miss out on.
For me the game excels when you come from office, 45 mins to spare and do some activites. The gameplay is SOLID, performance is amazing, graphics and art direction is insanely good - no joke, and the game no sweat fest. I mostly play solo except using LFG for dungeons and Nightfalls, I enjoy it immensely but its not targeted towards solo players.

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Never played any of the destiny games and was wondering if they are worth getting into? Had a quick glance and there seems to be a shit load of pricey expansions i know its some weird fps mmo kinda game but none of my friends want to play the game so was wondering if its decent to solo or better playing with randoms? Also are the expansions worth getting if i end up liking the game? Because ive seen alot of conflicting things about the game from fans and such

I mostly play alone like 99%. It's worth it. Just download the free version and try for yourself.

I tried it out and had zero interest.

There is no value in the single player. Crazy that these companies look at games like God of War or Witcher 3 and ignore huge sales opportunities.

gothmog

It's a free to play game. I also think they're giving the last expansion away on PS+ right now. Just download and play it. The gunplay and moment to moment experiences are great. If you like the feeling of barely beating a boss and getting showered in loot it's the game for you.

I personally play it from time to time until I don't. I've spent on the expansion packs over the years and some seasonal content and never felt like I wasted my money.

There's almost no risk to checking it out.

While I spent a fair amount of time in both games, I find them hard to recommend. The actual gameplay/gunplay is super solid though.
I'm still massively bummed out that they never implemented ANY form of ship combat. They have all of these badass, fully rendered ship models, and all they do is occupy loading screens.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not really.

It's just an endless grind machine, and very repetitive.
I jumped in right when last season popped, and I ended up giving up the BP because I got so fatigued.

Cornbread78

Most of the content you are going to need to play with other people if your goal is to rank up (which is the point of destiny). The good thing is, 90% of it is totally fine playing with random matchmaking. I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into Destiny 2 and played nearly all of the online content with random matchmaking. The thing that stinks about Destiny 2 though is that the funnest content to play (dungeons, raids, and high level nightfalls) don't have matchmaking. Which is honestly what pushed me away from the game. I got tired of having to go on the destiny app or a 3rd party app looking for someone to play content with. If they had some system of matchmaking for higher level content, I'd probably go back.

Great news, LFG is built into Dedtiny:
https://www.ggrecon.com/guides/destiny-2-lightfall-lfg/

That should help a bit too.

https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/Article/official-destiny-2-guide-new

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I played the first game on ps3, alone, and enjoyed it. I got the second game for free but I found it very confusing. I was confused about where to go and what to do and dropped it after a few hours.

Ogbert

I’d say yes, but just be aware of what it is.

The game is basically a sandbox. It has the best FPS mechanics bar none; the simple act of shooting stuff is incredibly fun. Collect weapons, put together builds and keep the game as your go to for a few mindless hours of entertainment.

It gets insanely frustrating if you get too invested in it. I immediately step away when I feel the old demons return.

It is a grind machine.

If nothing else, try it just to use the bow ‘Le Monarque’.

DeepSpace5D

The story campaigns will still be enjoyable solo, but the game really shines in coop. You’re probably going to want to join a friendly clan eventually, but it just depends on how much you get into it. You’ll probably also make some random friends just by playing on the same map as them. It’s pretty common to make friends eventually even when playing solo.

I’m playing the current season if you want to link up and coop some quests or campaigns: DeepSpace5D#9207

SafeOrAlone

Banned
What's the reasoning behind deleting old campaigns? New gameplay changes no longer compatible with old level design or something?

Raven117

If you like the gameplay, then yes. Its some of the best to be had.

Otherwise, for story, gear grind, or anything else, its just a highway to pain. (But its also real fun to be apart of the salt).

CuNi

Wait so there are campaigns that ive missed and are not coming back?

Basically the whole original Destiny 2 story is gone and will never come back.
That whole plot with Garry Ghaul and the Red War is removed from the story, as are the Planets Mercury, Mars, Io and Titan.
The original Leviathan Raid with it's 2 Raid Wings is also in the so called "Destiny Content Vault", most likely never to return.
Also, with the release of every new Expansion, all previous Seasonal Content is shelved too...

So you didn't only miss a campaign, you missed 4 locations and 3 Years of Season content never to come back.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
"There is nothing wrong with always online GAAS because I have an internet connection!"
I don't really get what your post has to do with what he said?

Wow is soon 20 years old and besides some limited time event then you can do like 99 percent of any content released throughout the years.

The same with warframe. Literally all content is free and you can play 99 percent of all released content.

Shitting on every online games because they are a few turds is like saying all single player games are shit because there's a bunch of mediocre single player games.

Fuck, I got the bait didn't I?

Shut0wen

Basically the whole original Destiny 2 story is gone and will never come back.
That whole plot with Garry Ghaul and the Red War is removed from the story, as are the Planets Mercury, Mars, Io and Titan.
The original Leviathan Raid with it's 2 Raid Wings is also in the so called "Destiny Content Vault", most likely never to return.
Also, with the release of every new Expansion, all previous Seasonal Content is shelved too...

So you didn't only miss a campaign, you missed 4 locations and 3 Years of Season content never to come back.
Thanks for letting me know, gunna give the game a massive skip, im guessing they did this to reduce the games file size since its already over 100gb

Depending on the platform you intend to play on, there is a varying amount of free content to start with. I think PS+ has Beyond Light for free if you intend to start there. If you are starting from scratch it's difficult to understand the story and what is going on, I'm not even sure how they handle new player introductions at the moment. The leveling up is fun but once you start to hit level cap and unlock all of the activities it can be overwhelming with all the currencies, game modes, powerful, pinnacle, pinnacle plus and all of the gear upgrades. The gear system is convoluted and not really well explained how to get better gear, or the soft cap, hard cap gear progression systems. I think if you just have fun with it, play some missions, kill internet monsters and get loot you will have a good time. The game just doesn't have a very welcoming new player experience, imo.

I don't really get what your post has to do with what he said?

Wow is soon 20 years old and besides some limited time event then you can do like 99 percent of any content released throughout the years.

The same with warframe. Literally all content is free and you can play 99 percent of all released content.

Shitting on every online games because they are a few turds is like saying all single player games are shit because there's a bunch of mediocre single player games.

Fuck, I got the bait didn't I?
Hah, no, I was shitposting about another thread. Sorry for the unintentional bait, though :p

For sure, there is tons of content that is in the f2p sku right now so give that a go first and see if you like it.

I play almost entirely solo and I enjoy it. Been like that from the start for me.

You will miss out on some high end content though as they are designed for more players. Although, some people are able to solo things like grandmaster nightfalls to my amazement.

We did it boys. We saved a soul. Imagine supporting a company that removes content that you purchased. Fucking Lol. Destiny 2 fanboys are the worst.
t7vIRNv.png

Reizo Ryuu

What's the jump off for someone who bailed after Osiris now? Just buy lightfall or buy WQ and Lightfall?
From what I've heard lightfall is ass and not worth the 50 bucks, if you don't mind skipping shadowkeep and beyond light, I'd say jump in with Witch Queen, which was actually pretty damn good.

think you need to buy witch queen and light fall to be up to date. you should have forsaken, shadowkeep, and beyond light for free now.
Uhh shadowkeep and beyond light are absolutely not free.

Top Bottom