• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is destiny 2 worth getting into as a single player game?

makaveli60

I love Nolan North but he added too much personality to the voice. The entire point of the ghost was that it was a monotone robot that was fluent in sarcasm, similar to TARS in Interstellar.

The jokes landed much better with Dinklage's voice. I actually found him funny.

When the added Nolan North it just felt like it was trying to be funny.
Exactly, I was like “why the hell people don’t get this?” Unfortunately, the dumb masses won again...

Drizzlehell

Exactly, I was like “why the hell people don’t get this?” Unfortunately, the dumb masses won again...
That's not the real reason. Devs spoke about it once. They just didn't want to pay Peter Dinklage money for additional VO every time they produced a sequel/expansion, and Nolan North money was much more affordable for that venture. They later re-recorded the original lines to keep it consistent.

Yep and that's the truth. Literally no one gets it. Every time I mention this anywhere all I get is, "Nolan North sounds better. Peter Dinklage was boring."

And it just sucks that Destiny is an always online game. So I can never go back and play it with his original voice. That's literally half the reason why I stopped playing the game.

leo-j

Try it, it’s free and see if u like how they introduce the story to you. It’s not bad and they consolidated the beginning of the game quite dramatically to introduce new players to the story. Everyone saying “they deleted content so no” isn’t telling you they also re vamped the campaign for newbies post beyond light, so try it for free and see what’s up.

Reizo Ryuu

I'm not sure what campaigns are included in the Free tier; maybe download and see?
None of them, the old campaigns are all gone, they've got this new thing called "new light" that replaces everything up till shadowkeep. And then you get access to all paid content introductory missions, and then you're left with pretty much no content.

Most of the content you are going to need to play with other people if your goal is to rank up (which is the point of destiny). The good thing is, 90% of it is totally fine playing with random matchmaking. I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into Destiny 2 and played nearly all of the online content with random matchmaking. The thing that stinks about Destiny 2 though is that the funnest content to play (dungeons, raids, and high level nightfalls) don't have matchmaking. Which is honestly what pushed me away from the game. I got tired of having to go on the destiny app or a 3rd party app looking for someone to play content with. If they had some system of matchmaking for higher level content, I'd probably go back.
Fecking hell. Even The Division 2 has matchmaking for raids.

ungalo

I played the game at launch so a long time ago, i can say it was already shit to play it solo (or to play it in general back then, i didn't get the positive reviews compared to the first one that took a lot of shit but had more merit in my opinion).

Last edited:

voidenberg

I play solo 80% of the time. Doing the grind while watching something on youtube or listening to music. I do dungeons every so often. Raids can be fun but are often frustrating. And unless you have a very good team it can take too long.
Destiny is no story driven game. It's all about the grind for loot. I appreciate the story developpments every season. But that's a bonus.

Fecking hell. Even The Division 2 has matchmaking for raids.
Matchmaking would never work for raids in destiny. Hell, hero nightfalls, the lower nightfall tier sometimes takes forever to beat because the other bluberries just try and rush as if it was a strike. Or they don't have the proper champion mods/weapons.

Last edited:
Dinklebot was trash. And no you're not smarter than anyone else if you liked him ffs :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I'm not saying I'm smarter than anyone. I'm just saying he was a much better character. It's similar to the Peter Parker "new face" situation in Spiderman.

Replacing established characters in the same game is horrible.

diffusionx

I just can't imagine trying to play this soulless, exploitative loot grind as a single player FPS when there are literally hundreds of excellent singleplayer FPS games released over the years. Like go try Amid Evil bro.

Top Bottom