• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 1 - 7 August

Dalthien

Was anyone able to get the actual Media Create software numbers for the week? Or are the rounded off numbers all that is available?

sonycowboy said:
Besides Winning Eleven and the white PSP, is there anything big on the horizon for the PSP in Japan.

US has Burnout, GTA, Medievil, Socom, Virtua Tennis, Daxter, and alot of other "western" oriented titles, but is there anything big for the land of the rising sun?

Cause the WE & White PSP will be a nice bump for a week or two, but they needs some software pretty badly.

I'd say quite a few games are on the herizon. We just don't know how close to the herizon they are. I've been expecting to hear a lot of announcements at TGS.

Games like: Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Naruto, Super Robot Taisen, Devil May Cry, a couple untitled capcom games, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Pawaru Pro Baseball, couple untitled sega games, Harvest Moon, Shinobido, and possibly Hot Shots Tennis.

I don't think Super Robot Taisen has been announced for the PSP. But if it is/was it is a step in the right direction in Japan. The rest are all moderate sellers. I heard it was some spin off of Dragon Ball. Spin-offs never sell quite as much. The main big games will be Winning Eleven, Gran Turismo, and Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core.

But those are nothing to compare to the sales of what Pokemon Diamond & Pearl will do or even Final Fantasy 3.

jarrod

Banned
Stopsign said:
I don't think Super Robot Taisen has been announced for the PSP. But if it is/was it is a step in the right direction in Japan.
It's been announced for both DS & PSP. In fact, so has almost most of the games MasterOrion mentioned.

I wonder if Jarrod has a point...

Stopsign, you should check out how well DBZ sold on PS2. As for spinoff, wtf are you talking about?

And you're kidding if you think FF3 is going to sell all that well, its a good joke. i'll have to write it down, and have a good laugh later tonight.

Oh I think I was thinking of the Gundam Strategy game thing that was announced.

Edit: Oh yeah the Final Fantasy 3 is high in Famitsu rankings. I know those always the most acurate things. But they are good guide lines. What good selling DS games are coming out in 2006? I'm pretty sure all the big games (besides Pokemon) are coming out sometime this year right?

jarrod

Banned
MasterOrion said:
I wonder if Jarrod has a point...
Always. ;)

MasterOrion said:
Stopsign, you should check out how well DBZ sold on PS2. As for spinoff, wtf are you talking about?

And you're kidding if you think FF3 is going to sell all that well, its a good joke. i'll have to write it down, and have a good laugh later tonight.
Well, looking at other comparative sales between PS2 and PSP versus DS and GBA I'd say...

DBZ PSP~ 100-200k (if it's a 3D fighter, if it's something else then half that)
FF3 DS~ 300-400k

If Bandai can release a game of the quality of Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 or the new DBZ fighting game for PS2 on PSP, it could very well generate extreme amount of interest on the PSP.

You can't simply compare it to

a) console version sales (look at pokemon which is more popular on handhelds than on consoles)

b)previous handheld version sales (PSP is not on the same scale as previous handheld games).

c)DS games being released of the same title (PSP has proven to have more potent titles when it comes to multiplatform releases, and thus you can have two completely different scenarios with games of the same title. The DS title could be like the GBA games, while the PSP version could be like the PS2 games, and that is extremely different).

Stopsign said:
Oh yeah the Final Fantasy 3 is high in Famitsu rankings. I know those always the most acurate things. But they are good guide lines.

I'll tell you right now that those are NOT good guidelines, and if you've been using those as any guide to what will or will not sell... then you should stop now. That's my first and best advice to you.

jarrod said:
Always. ;)

Well, looking at other comparative sales between PS2 and PSP versus DS and GBA I'd say...

DBZ PSP~ 100-200k (if it's a 3D fighter, if it's something else then half that)
FF3 DS~ 300-400k

FF1 and 2 on GBA sold 270,789 (that's two final fantasy games completely remade on a system with a far larger userbase, compared to 1 game that we don't have much detail on, but seems like is only being tweaked on a system with a relatively small userbase....)

MasterOrion said:
c)DS games being released of the same title (PSP has proven to have more potent titles when it comes to multiplatform releases, and thus you can have two completely different scenarios with games of the same title. The DS title could be like the GBA games, while the PSP version could be like the PS2 games, and that is extremely different).

Actually there has been 3 released games that are on both systems that I can remember. Puyo Pop Fever, Some Majong game, and a Fist of the North Star game. 2 of those sold better on the DS. Fist of the North Star sold better on the PSP.

Edit: Wow that was a triple post by you.

jarrod

Banned
MasterOrion said:
FF1 and 2 on GBA sold 270,789 (that's two final fantasy games completely remade on a system with a far larger userbase, compared to 1 game that we don't have much detail on, but seems like is only being tweaked on a system with a relatively small userbase....)
Sure... but those were the 4th consecutive rereleases for FF1+2. Demand for FF3 DS should be a degree higher given fans couldn't buy it on WonderSwan, PlayStation or their mobiles a for a few years earlier. ;)

jarrod

Banned
Stopsign said:
Actually there has been 3 released games that are on both systems that I can remember. Puyo Pop Fever, Some Majong game, and a Fist of the North Star game. 2 of those sold better on the DS. Fist of the North Star sold better on the PSP.

Edit: Wow that was a triple post by you.
Not only that, buy Puyo Fever and Mahjong Takai on DS both doubled their PSP sales, while Pachislot PSP only marginally outsold the DS release.

Stopsign and what do all of those games have in common...

Want a hint?

They are low profile franchises with little selling potential.

Dragon Ball Z is extrememly popular, and a game that delivers on what makes the series so popular on a handheld, may yield great response. A mahjong game isn;t going to do that. Neither is Puyo Puyo Fever.

jarrod said:
Sure... but those were the 4th consecutive rereleases for FF1+2. Demand for FF3 DS should be a degree higher given fans couldn't buy it on WonderSwan, PlayStation or their mobiles a for a few years earlier. ;)

I still wouldn't get your hopes up that high. As FF3 isn't THAT popular compared to other Final Fantasy games in the franchise. I don't see it selling much more than 250k copies.

Edit: I posted and then read yours and jarrods posts and responded.

jarrod

Banned
MasterOrion said:
Stopsign and what do all of those games have in common...

Want a hint?

They are low profile franchises with little selling potential.

Dragon Ball Z is extrememly popular, and a game that delivers on what makes the series so popular on a handheld, may yield great response. A mahjong game isn;t going to do that. Neither is Puyo Puyo Fever.
Puyo Fever PS2 broke 200k iirc (it was the first release). the GBA DBZ fighters meanwhile never broke 100k, and the action RPG spinoffs all bombed outright in Japan iirc (they're million sellers in the west though). If DBZ PSP is based off Budokai it has a decent shot, if not I doubt it breaks 100k.

jarrod

Banned
MasterOrion said:
I still wouldn't get your hopes up that high. As FF3 isn't THAT popular compared to other Final Fantasy games in the franchise. I don't see it selling much more than 250k copies.

Edit: I posted and then read yours and jarrods posts and responded.
FF1 WSC sold 400k (then 150k on PS1, then 250k on GBA iirc). All totaled it managed 800k across platforms in Japan (not counting mobiles)... I think FF3 can do at least half that given it's the only 2D FF to never see any sort of rerelease yet.

Jarrod the point is the gba dbz games, simply suck...

None of them are really even worth playing let alone buying. That's the difference.

Why does pokemon sell so well on handheld and yet so poorly (relatively) on n64 and cube?

Not just the userbase, but because the game comes out properly on the handheld. It works. And if they wanted to do what they do on the gb on the cube, it would have to be revamped and it would take major resources.

You look at the GBA DBZ games, and you have to realize that they are a joke. No where near the production value as the PS2 DBZs. They still sell because its dragon ball, but their is potential in a high value game.

Look at GTA3 and GTA2 for further understanding of what I am talking about. A game that only became popular when it's production values increased.

I'm not saying that the DBZ game coming out for the PSP won't sell. I'm just saying I'm expecting it to be outsold by FF3. Also the FF3 has a better chance of selling well because the DS has a much larger userbase already. The gap between the two systems is going to get much larger during the holidays. Nothing Sony can put out can stop the mountain of games that is coming out for the DS.

New Mario Bros, Mario & Luigi 2, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, and many more.

jarrod

Banned
MasterOrion said:
Jarrod the point is the gba dbz games, simply suck...

None of them are really even worth playing let alone buying. That's the difference.
Hardly. The GBA fighter by Arc System Works (of Guilty Gear fame) is lightyears better than Dimps' PS2 trilogy of turds.

And worldwide, the crappy western made GBA ARPGs have sold the best. Sales rarely have much to do with quality.

jarrod said:
FF1 WSC sold 400k (then 150k on PS1, then 250k on GBA iirc). All totaled it managed 800k across platforms in Japan (not counting mobiles)... I think FF3 can do at least half that given it's the only 2D FF to never see any sort of rerelease yet.

#1 I don't remember it selling so well on WSC, but if it did, I would attribute it to being one of the only games worth having on WSC.

#2 PS1 had a much larger userbase than GBA and especially DS.

#3 See 2 but GBA to DS.

#4 Take into account that a lot of people probably bought the same game 2-3 times.

#5 I still wouldn't put too much faith in the ability for a 15 year old game to sell well. Look at the remake of SoM on GBA which didn't fair all that well.

Stopsign, it wasn't until probably two months ago iirc that the DS started outselling the PSP weekly. This is because the DS started getting a steady stream of software while the PSP did not. The PSP has higher resources and is on a completely different development period than DS. It will have more titles by the end of the winter, and I wouldn't say the gap will grow significantly unless the DS has software that will push it during the winter.

Many of the games you've listed aren't huge sellers at all. For the DS software sales I would say look at the GBA software sales and expect less. If they are gamecube ports/sequels or gba ports expect even less.

Hardly. The GBA fighter by Arc System Works (of Guilty Gear fame) is lightyears better than Dimps' PS2 trilogy of turds.

And worldwide, the crappy western made GBA ARPGs have sold the best. Sales rarely have much to do with quality.

I'd disagree, I'd probably say DBZ3 is by far the best dbz game to date. And I believe Budokai is the best selling western dbz series.

This is the only 2d Final Fantasy that has never been remade. That means people probably haven't boughten this game 2-3 times. Also if the PS1 has a much larger userbase than the GBA and DS then why did those games sell better on the GBA than the PS1. I'm not to sure about the WSC. I didn't wait for sales data until a few years ago. But I do know a lot about the PS1.

jarrod

Banned
MasterOrion said:
#1 I don't remember it selling so well on WSC, but if it did, I would attribute it to being one of the only games worth having on WSC.
Over half the sales came with the WSC hardware bundle iirc. The game actually sold the WSC to new fans, not the reverse.

MasterOrion said:
#2 PS1 had a much larger userbase than GBA and especially DS.
PSone was in it's budget cycle when the games released though, which expalins how it had the weakest sales between it, WSC & GBA.

MasterOrion said:
#3 See 2 but GBA to DS.
See #1. This is a series that's proven to move hardware in the past, not simply sell to the captive base. Besdies, the GBA game was the 4th consecutive release.... the FF1 remake was old news by then.

MasterOrion said:
#4 Take into account that a lot of people probably bought the same game 2-3 times.
A lot wouldn't mean everybody though, especially given WSC's low userbase. I wouldn't doubt the FF1 remake sold to 600k individual customers.

MasterOrion said:
#5 I still wouldn't put too much faith in the ability for a 15 year old game to sell well. Look at the remake of SoM on GBA which didn't fair all that well.
Seiken Desnestu is a niche seller on all platforms, yet it still managed 250k+ on GBA. What makes that comparison more valid than the previous FF remakes though?

You seem pretty set in your views though so how about we make it more interesting? If DBZ PSP outsells FF3 DS in Japan it's first week on market, I'll be permabanned from GAF. If the reverse happens, you're permabanned. Deal?

Stopsign said:
This is the only 2d Final Fantasy that has never been remade. That means people probably haven't boughten this game 2-3 times. Also if the PS1 has a much larger userbase than the GBA and DS then why did those games sell better on the GBA than the PS1. I'm not to sure about the WSC. I didn't wait for sales data until a few years ago. But I do know a lot about the PS1.

Final Fantasy 1 and 2 were both released in 2002 and were released seperately. Not only was this way past the systems prime, but buying either would have been more expensive than buying it on the gba. The GBA also allows you to play it anywhere you want, and without the same sort of load times...

MasterOrion said:
Many of the games you've listed aren't huge sellers at all. For the DS software sales I would say look at the GBA software sales and expect less. If they are gamecube ports/sequels or gba ports expect even less.

Well Mario & Luigi sold around 400,000 for the GBA back in 2003. Maro Kart Double Dash sold around 800,000. Animal Crossing GC sold around 600,000 in 2002 (Might have been even more). The New Mario Brothers is the first origanal 2d Mario game in over 10 years. Who says that is going to sell badly.

I wasn't sure when the PS1 version was released. So I guess those sales are actually impressive.

jarrod said:
Over half the sales came with the WSC hardware bundle iirc. The game actually sold the WSC to new fans, not the reverse.

PSone was in it's budget cycle when the games released though, which expalins how it had the weakest sales between it, WSC & GBA.

See #1. This is a series that's proven to move hardware in the past, not simply sell to the captive base. Besdies, the GBA game was the 4th consecutive release.... the FF1 remake was old news by then.

A lot wouldn't mean everybody though, especially given WSC's low userbase. I wouldn't doubt the FF1 remake sold to 600k individual customers.

Seiken Desnestu is a niche seller on all platforms, yet it still managed 250k+ on GBA. What makes that comparison more valid than the previous FF remakes though?

You seem pretty set in your views though so how about we make it more interesting? If DBZ PSP outsells FF3 DS in Japan it's first week on market, I'll be permabanned from GAF. If the reverse happens, you're permabanned. Deal?

That doesn't really change anything... It was a new handheld, and it was the only game worth having on it, it being bundled gives it an even bigger reason for selling as well as you said it did.

Seiken Densetsu didn't sell to the same level of FF1-3, but it was hardly niche.

And I didn't say that DBZ PSP would outsell FF3. Especially without hearing any of the details of DBZ PSP.

Stopsign said:
Well Mario & Luigi sold around 400,000 for the GBA back in 2003. Maro Kart Double Dash sold around 800,000. Animal Crossing GC sold around 600,000 in 2002 (Might have been even more). The New Mario Brothers is the first origanal 2d Mario game in over 10 years. Who says that is going to sell badly.

I wasn't sure when the PS1 version was released. So I guess those sales are actually impressive.

400k on GBA = much less on DS.

Mario Kart advance sold about 560k in 01, im sure the series would sell less on gba now, especially on ds.

Animal Crossing is a cube franchise, and it's definitely not guaranteed to cross over well.

As for Mario... compare mario's handheld sales to console sales throughout the mario franchise... they've always been less.

Super Mario Advance 747,792
Super Mario Advance 2 335,846
Super Mario Advance 3 396,322
Super Mario Advance 4 457,095

Super Mario Sunshine 677,440
Super Mario 64 1,252,051

Super Mario Kart Advance 567,312

Super Mario 64 DS 721,616

Well I did some digging. It didn't really help me but here is some data of Mario games in recent years. But like I said the New Super Mario Bros. title is new. Not a port.

I couldn't find there sales data. There is no sales data past 1996. I'm using the Magic Box as a source.

Edit: I lied...

Super Mario World 3.55m
Super Mario All-Stars 2.12m
Yoshi's Island 1.77m

Super Mario Land 4.10m
Super Mario Land 2 2.68m

AniHawk

Stopsign said:

In Japan, with both AF+ and AF+e, Animal Crossing has sold over 900,000 copies and is either the second or third best-selling GC game there.

@MasterOrion
Stopsign, it wasn't until probably two months ago iirc that the DS started outselling the PSP weekly.

The DS started to outsell the PSP this year in the week ending 3/27, which is a bit more than four and a half months ago(since that the only week the PSP outsold the DS was the week before Nintendogs, Naruto and the second wave of two new colors were released).

It will have more titles by the end of the winter, and I wouldn't say the gap will grow significantly unless the DS has software that will push it during the winter.

I'm sorry, but do you have any insider info or sth. like that? The PSP gets WE and the new color until the end of the year(+ a few titles capable of selling ~300k at best), the DS gets a fucking crazy stream of titles like New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, FFIII(I'm not sure if it'll release in 2005), Castlevania, Tamagotchi(I'm optimistic that it will sell quite good ;) ), Phoenix Wright, Dynasty Warriors, Super Princess Peach, Sonic Rush and a dozen others. I would seriously eat my 19" TFT if the gap wouldn't grow atleast 500k from now until the end of the year.
The beginning of 2006 is also DS country as Pokemon D/P will release in the first or second quarter and will sell a shitload of soft- and hardware for many weeks.

Many of the games you've listed aren't huge sellers at all.

If games like New Mario Bros, Mario & Luigi 2, Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing aren't "huge sellers", than wtf should be considered a "huge seller"? Probably all of them will sell atleast 400k, AC and Mario Kart could perhaps even break a million as online support could help a bit.

CVXFREAK said:
OK, I have a feeling MasterOrion is Galian Beast... please correct me if I'm wrong.

WE HAVE A WINNER!

MasterOrion will be enjoying a GAF-paid exclusive package vacation to

banned.jpg

LAND OF THE BANNED!

Mashing

CVXFREAK said:
OK, I have a feeling MasterOrion is Galian Beast... please correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Guess I was right :lol

What was your first clue? The quoting or the back and forth arguing with him and Jarrod?

Anyway on topic: the charts sure will be interesting.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Ok. We should get the numbers tomorrow. August 8th - 14th. That's a full six days. Prediction time. How much do you think JSS sold in those six full days?

I'm guessing ~400k-500k...

cvxfreak

Mashing said:
What was your first clue? The quoting or the back and forth arguing with him and Jarrod?

Anyway on topic: the charts sure will be interesting.

Just the posting style. Jarrod's been in debates with lots of people, but Galian Beast has such a peculiar style of posting, and having known him since 2001, he definitely can't hide from ME. :D

Frankfurter said:
The DS started to outsell the PSP this year in the week ending 3/27, which is a bit more than four and a half months ago(since that the only week the PSP outsold the DS was the week before Nintendogs, Naruto and the second wave of two new colors were released).
So MasterOrion is long gone, but I still think it would be interesting to split things into 4 periods.

Period 1: The week before DS launch. Week of 11/29/2004
DS: 468,883 (100%)
PSP: 0

Period 2: PSP is launched, DS is outselling it. Weeks of 12/06/2004-01/03/2005
DS: 1,135,274 (67.6%)
PSP: 544,304 (32.4%)

Period 3: PSP is outselling DS. Weeks of 01/10/2005-03/14/2005
DS: 320,984 (38.3%)
PSP: 518,068 (61.7%)

Period 4: DS is outselling PSP, except for one week. Weeks of 3/21/2005-08/01/2005
DS: 849,400 (62.0%)
PSP: 521,332 (38.0%)

Top Bottom