• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 21-27 Feb

Amir0x

Banned
DarthWufei said:
Link me, I missed this. Doesn't change my statement any though.

Here.

It says "With 1.18 million PSPs shipped to date." The numbers we got are, what, 942,000 total? So there's several hundred thousand missing, which we came to assume are either Sony extrapolating numbers from somewhere like the website or is a frabrication.

Amir0x said:
Here.

It says "With 1.18 million PSPs shipped to date." The numbers we got are, what, 942,000 total? So there's several hundred thousand missing, which we came to assume are either Sony extrapolating numbers from somewhere like the website or is a frabrication.
No need for an explanation, I fully realize this and knew about this since the first launch day when people were doing the whole PSP preorder from Sony's site. I'm not trying to combat what you're saying here at all. I just missed the news, thanks though.

Edit: Wait this is shipped units, not sold, where did you get the 1.13 million number?

Amir0x

Banned
almokla said:
so its so clear that people are not buying the PSP for games ..

will the UMD movies be a success ?

No, I actually don't think it's clear. If someone did the math right now, I do not think proportionately it would be worse for PSP then DS or GBA. In fact, I think someone did it before and found the ratio to be almost exactly the same.

Oogami

Banned
Once more, I like the concept behind Pokemon. I think if done right, it would be great. I have a lot of faith in Nintendo. So each time, I give the next Pokemon a chance. Maybe Diamond/Pearl will be the one they actually improve things in. Someone in this thread suggested as much. If they improved it dramatically and I avoided it, wouldn't I be missing out on something I potentially like?

Hmm I would say you shouldn't take that chance AGAIN. After getting pissed off by the same series over 3-5 times is WAYYYYYYYYY enough. It's seriously not good for your health.

It's like you've asked the same hot girl out 5 times, and keep getting rejected mercilessly EVERY SINGLE TIME. Heartbroken and every single tears have been dropped.......would you ask her out again for the 6th time.........? I would say no. Yeah you might get lucky and one day you could score. But it's not worth it. It's not like she's the only hot girl in the block. Try someone else, someone who wouldn't reject you 5 times!

So yeah, give up on Pokemon. It's hurt you way too many times. Let the bitch go.

Raymond

I think, the most potentual DS buyer wait now for the new colours.
If its launched, will the ds numbers brake out =)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
almokla said:
so its so clear that people are not buying the PSP for games ..

will the UMD movies be a success ?
What's the tie-ratio for the PSP? The DS had a tie-ratio of 1.3:1 in Japan three weeks ago (1.2:1 in the US up to the end of January).

Amir0x

Banned
Oogami said:
It's like you've asked the same hot girl out 5 times, and keep getting rejected mercilessly EVERY SINGLE TIME. Heartbroken and every single tears have been dropped.......would you ask her out again for the 6th time.........? I would say no. Yeah you might get lucky and one day you could score. But it's not worth it. It's not like she's the only hot girl in the block. Try someone else, someone who wouldn't reject you 5 times!

So yeah, give up on Pokemon. It's hurt you way too many times. Let the bitch go.

Haha, after a long, tedious debate you have broke the ice. I literally laughed out loud. :lol :lol :)

Thanks for that, it was cooool.

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Tie ratio for PSP is higher than DS.
PSP is about 1.8, DS is about 1.4

Ok. So now, once and for all, that puts to rest the "PSP Software obviously isn't selling" thing. Next that needs to go: "DS is next virtual boy" and "DS is only mini-gamez!"

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The difference in sales between the two per month is 66K and its like that every month. Nintendo really need to change before next gen or else the next gen will be their last

why are people ignoring the fact that Nintendo overal are AHEAD interms of the DS vs PSP to the tune of about 600k units!?!?!?

Every month - it's been like that for TWO months out of THREE!!! Sony got SPANKED in the first month....

jesus fucking christ.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DCharlie said:
why are people ignoring the fact that Nintendo overal are AHEAD interms of the DS vs PSP to the tune of about 600k units!?!?!?

Every month - it's been like that for TWO months out of THREE!!! Sony got SPANKED in the first month....

jesus fucking christ.

MC numbers puts the DS lead at 925,611 in Japan.

MC's LTD figures
DS - 1,850,399
PSP - 924,788

Oogami

Banned
DCharlie said:

jesus fucking christ.

Because of the momentum. Which the DS doesn't have. The market is all about this. Now they're ahead 600k units. Next month 500k. Next 400k. Next 300k. Next 200k. Next 100k. Next 0k. Next PSP is leading just like that!

And with PSP launching here in the US and will already have a better lineup than DS, the DS is a lost cause. :(

Sho Nuff

Banned
Do you know what other console was ahead of a Sony console for a few months?

sega_saturn.jpg

Odnetnin

Banned
so according to this numbers

THe PSP will take

---------

to catch up. = 51 weeks (of course that's if DS stops selling right off) about 12 months.

Oogami said:
Because of the momentum. Which the DS doesn't have. The market is all about this. Now they're ahead 600k units. Next month 500k. Next 400k. Next 300k. Next 200k. Next 100k. Next 0k. Next PSP is leading just like that!

And with PSP launching here in the US and will already have a better lineup than DS, the DS is a lost cause. :(

Its actually 900k ahead
The DS has the new colours coming, so Every Japanese person will buy another one of each most likely. we all know they love this type of thing. Then the DS will be WAAAAAAAY Ahead

Odnetnin

Banned
Oogami said:

DS already has a rather massive userbase in the US and well, its also got more room to price cut. And Japan? Its got JSS, Nintendogs, two foreseeable MEGA smash

Sho Nuff said:

sega_saturn.jpg

They wheren’t Nintendo.

This is Nintendo, this is a different Nintendo.
They have money to burn Sega didn’t

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Because of the momentum. Which the DS doesn't have. The market is all about this. Now they're ahead 600k units. Next month 500k. Next 400k. Next 300k. Next 200k. Next 100k. Next 0k. Next PSP is leading just like that!"

And with PSP launching here in the US and will already have a better lineup than DS, the DS is a lost cause. :("

The PSP is pushing 40k units at the moment - as much better than DS sales as that is at the moment, that's not setting the world alight.

The assumption is that the DS isn't going to sell anymore than 20k from now to eternity and if anything it'll go down. But what makes people so certain that the PSP won't slow down when it gets double it's current user base?

The market is about user base - at the moment, the DS has around 1.8 million (figures not confirmed), Sony are playing catch up. Will DS sales go back up when games get released - i'm pretty sure they will, just the same as PSP sales will go up and down too.

At current rates, Sony's momentum will give them an equal footing with nintendo in 15 months - against inferior hardware that is apparently a lost cause

Jonnyram

Thank god the pokemon argument has finished :)
Wait, Saturn? Why didn't that kill Sony's attempts in the console market anyway? I don't understand.

AniHawk

Jonnyram said:
Thank god the pokemon argument has finished :)
Wait, Saturn? Why didn't that kill Sony's attempts in the console market anyway? I don't understand.

Jonny, check your PMs, please..

duckroll

ThongyDonk said:
They wheren’t Nintendo.

This is Nintendo, this is a different Nintendo.
They have money to burn Sega didn’t

But is Nintendo even burning money? Each DS is sold for a profit and all the top selling DS games are first party. Contrary to popular belief, Nintendo does not lose money everytime the PSP outsells the DS in a week, the only people losing money are those putting money on the table at some bar with a bunch of geek friends betting that the DS will outsell the PSP next week. Every time Nintendo sells 21k units of the DS, they're making a profit off all 21k of those units.

That being said, it's still funny to make fun of Nintendo for losing market share! So bring on the photoshops! :lol

wazoo

For some, the Ds does not sell enough.

for Nintendo, it sell enough such that they have to up their sales prediction every month from 4M to (now) 6M by March 2k5.

I wonder how many more Ds could they ship considering their manufacturing capabilities ?

even if Ninty made just $10 off every DS sold (Which i presume they make more)
they will have made an additional $60million more than had they not released the DS!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
duckroll said:
But is Nintendo even burning money? Each DS is sold for a profit and all the top selling DS games are first party. Contrary to popular belief, Nintendo does not lose money everytime the PSP outsells the DS in a week, the only people losing money are those putting money on the table at some bar with a bunch of geek friends betting that the DS will outsell the PSP next week. Every time Nintendo sells 21k units of the DS, they're making a profit off all 21k of those units.

That being said, it's still funny to make fun of Nintendo for losing market share! So bring on the photoshops! :lol

Yeah, it had me thinking...even if DS falls behind PSP in terms of sales, are Nintendo going to burn money? Did they burn money when they fell behind with N64/GC saleswise? I don't think they care too much about being "market leader" as long as they're making money. Although at the same time I'm sure they're still taking safety precautions since the handheld market has been a tremendous source of income for Nintendo these past years...I mean, they're probably keeping Sony and PSP in check just in case.

Hero

For a system that's generationally inferior and 'gimmicky' the fact that the DS is still ahead is pretty amusing.

Both systems are selling fine.

At the end of the month Nintendo will launch in colors (good ones to boot) and Nintendogs, which is the Pokemon equivalent for girls and dog lovers.

Not to mention the inevitable Shonen Jump Super Stars and Pokemon Pearl/Diamond.

What does PSP have on the horizon? Bleach PSP? GTA?

Izzy

Banned
Hero said:
For a system that's generationally inferior and 'gimmicky' the fact that the DS is still ahead is pretty amusing.

Both systems are selling fine.

At the end of the month Nintendo will launch in colors (good ones to boot) and Nintendogs, which is the Pokemon equivalent for girls and dog lovers.

Not to mention the inevitable Shonen Jump Super Stars and Pokemon Pearl/Diamond.

What does PSP have on the horizon? Bleach PSP? GTA?

GTA, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo - to name a few.

Jacobi

Banned
Izzy said:
But...Final Fantasy will release in late 2006 so that doesn't actually count (which sucks for me too, I'd buy the PSP if FF7CC would release earlier.

duckroll

Jacobi said:
But...Final Fantasy will release in late 2006 so that doesn't actually count (which sucks for me too, I'd buy the PSP if FF7CC would release earlier.

Late 2006? Where did you hear that? It's slated for early 2006 from the official site. Oh and why doesn't it "count" when there isn't even a release date for Jump Super Stars and any DS Pokemon? I hate double standards. :lol

Celicar

Banned
Oh man, I am going to make a killing selling these PSPs on ebay!!! :lol

Maybe more than I made selling the Ds's. Hmm....

Odnetnin

Banned
Amir0x said:
It is definitely entertaining! That's why I love debates on the internet, it's almost addicting.

a debate only happens when both sides actively discuss the merits/cons. You saying "I hate I hate" isn't a debate

jarrod

Banned
Sho Nuff said:

sega_saturn.jpg
Nope, Sega just shipped more Saturns and media outlets used shipped figures rather than sold. Turns out both machines were neck and neck in 1994 and most of 1995 (basically until SCE pulled the Square card), but Saturn never held a 900k lead over PlayStation at any time.

duckroll said:
Late 2006? Where did you hear that? It's slated for early 2006 from the official site. Oh and why doesn't it "count" when there isn't even a release date for Jump Super Stars and any DS Pokemon? I hate double standards. :lol
A GameFreak interview revealed Pokemon DP would release this fall in Japan. JSS looks pretty far along though, I'd expect a release this year definitely, likely this summer. By comparison the 'big' PSP games mentioned (CCFF7, GTA SC, GT4mobile) haven't even been shown yet. Though GTA is confirmed for fall now I guess, GT4 was promised for near launch, now it's 'spring' but I sort of doubt that even.

Amir0x

Banned
Odnetnin said:
a debate only happens when both sides actively discuss the merits/cons. You saying "I hate I hate" isn't a debate

Correction: Just because you don't think someone actively discussed the merits of cons does not mean it wasn't a debate.

It was. You just happened to be on the opposite side.

duckroll

jarrod said:
A GameFreak interview revealed Pokemon DP would release this fall in Japan. JSS looks pretty far along though, I'd expect a release this year definitely, likely this summer. By comparison the 'big' PSP games mentioned (CCFF7, GTA SC, GT4mobile) haven't even been shown yet. Though GTA is confirmed for fall now I guess, GT4 was promised for near launch, now it's 'spring' but I sort of doubt that even.

Double standards again. So Pokemon DP has no date nor has it been shown yet but yet "Fall" is a given and hence it "counts". Yet GTA has a "spring" and GT4 has an "April", but both haven't been shown so therefore you doubt that? JSS will definitely be out this year, but the same can be said for GT4 and GTA. As far as I'm concerned it's double standards unless GT4, GTA, CCFFVII, JSS and Pokemon DP are ALL counted, or *just* JSS is counted and none of the others. :p

duckroll said:
Double standards again. So Pokemon DP has no date nor has it been shown yet but yet "Fall" is a given and hence it "counts". Yet GTA has a "spring" and GT4 has an "April", but both haven't been shown so therefore you doubt that? JSS will definitely be out this year, but the same can be said for GT4 and GTA. As far as I'm concerned it's double standards unless GT4, GTA, CCFFVII, JSS and Pokemon DP are ALL counted, or *just* JSS is counted and none of the others. :p

I agree. Jarrod is selective in his considerations and GTA PSP is not a fall release, it's a May-July release, with expectations of mid-to-late May.

Odnetnin said:
so according to this numbers

THe PSP will take

---------

to catch up. = 51 weeks (of course that's if DS stops selling right off) about 12 months.

This is sooo freaking tiresome and a lame argument to boot. Let's use:

1) wayyy early numbers and
2) the slowest time of the year and
3) a system still in it's launch and
4) systems that still have very little software

to predict how things will sell for the rest of the year. :|

I swear it's like someone thinks of an argument 2 months ago and the lemmings hold on to it like it's thier religion. It was an intereresting, but flawed look back then. Now it just shows that many of you can't develop your own analysis and rehash the same thing over and over and over again.

This week to week analysis is a killer. Fun, but a killer. Let's see how numbers work out for a couple of weeks, maybe months before we call it a trend.

NOTE: Odnetnin, this isn't against you, just against this ridiculous argument.

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
Difference being, a game not shown yet could still concievably make a fall release. Meanwhile, a game due in 2-3 months that hasn't been shown at all yet... that seems a bit less likely, no? Also, I'm guessing GTA will make it's revised date.... I do think GT4 will make it by year's end too most likely, though I'd be more definite if we'd see at least something. No way it makes it before summer though.

Also, there were no double standards present. I was simply correcting you that Pokemon DP did indeed have a confirmed release this year. Then I brought up JSS, which I compared to the big 3 PSP no-shows.

sonycowboy said:
I agree. Jarrod is selective in his considerations and GTA PSP is not a fall release, it's a May-July release, with expectations of mid-to-late May.
Speaking of selective, looks like someone needs to start reading their own threads...

Rockstar is introducing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for Xbox and PC in the third quarter of fiscal 2005. Also planned for release in the third quarter is an all new Grand Theft Auto title, set in Liberty City, for the highly anticipated PSP handheld entertainment system.

Edit~ Ack I misread. Thanks Gamespot. :/

Still, I'd expect GTA PSP to make whenever Rockstar says. Mobius has been working round the clock on it since they were bought out last year. GT4 though I'm less sure of, given all the delays GT4 PS2 went thropugh a PD probably starting hard R&D after that version released. :/

jarrod said:

Ooops. Jarrod. Do you know when Take-Two's Q3 is??? Haven't you heard the release date of GTA:SA for Xbox/PC is both Q3 and June 6th??

Q1 = Nov-Jan
Q2 = Feb-Apr
Q3 = May-Jul :lol
Q4 = Aug-Oct

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Ooops. Jarrod. Do you know when Take-Two's Q3 is??? Haven't you heard the release date of GTA:SA for Xbox/PC is both Q3 and June 6th??

Q1 = Nov-Jan
Q2 = Feb-Apr
Q3 = May-Jul :lol
Q4 = Aug-Oct
I realized my mistake (and edited) before you replied. Neener! :p

Link1110

GTA isn't popular in Japan, and Gran Turismo isn't the huge 4 million seller there like it is here (Though it did reach a million, and GT PSP probably won't reach that because theres like 30 PS2s for every PSP) Out of these 3, the only real blockbuster is going to be Final Fantasy, and even that remains to be seen as Square-Enix floods the market with Final Fantasy 7 cash-ins.

Top Bottom