• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes July 15th

Countdown until PR tends to start

t1405636200z1.png

copy for the new page

(inb4 50 ppp/100 ppp arguments)

Discomurf

Xbox One Sales More Than Double In June Thanks To Price Drop

Microsoft's Xbox One more than doubled in sales for the month of June the company announced.

This comes one day before the release of NPD numbers for the video game industry.

Microsoft has not released actual sales data, so it’s impossible to know the exact number of units sold.

“Since the new Xbox One offering launched on June 9th, we’ve seen sales of Xbox One more than double* in the US, compared to sales in May, and solid growth in Xbox 360 sales,” Microsoft said in a statement.

Microsoft says the information is based on internal data for the calendar month and sold through numbers.

already posted?

Xbox One Sales More Than Double In June Thanks To Price Drop

Microsoft's MSFT +0.71% Xbox One more than doubled in sales for the month of June the company announced.

This comes one day before the release of NPD numbers for the video game industry.

Microsoft has not released actual sales data, so it’s impossible to know the exact number of units sold.

“Since the new Xbox One offering launched on June 9th, we’ve seen sales of Xbox One more than double* in the US, compared to sales in May, and solid growth in Xbox 360 sales,” Microsoft said in a statement.

Microsoft says the information is based on internal data for the calendar month and sold through numbers.

already posted?

What do you think? :p

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I see Wii U predictions are pretty low, thought this was supposed to be the month where Mario Kart gives a big boost.. or was that just a rumor?

BlackJace

If the Xbox One did win this month the thread will cause 3 days of this site being unable to load. Maybe more so if Wii u outsells both.

Well, that would total out to mid/upper 100k, which doesn't strike me as a number to beat the PS4, which has seen 200k+months so far.

BlackJace

I don't think you properly read the post. I was speaking just in general, not the guesses in the thread.

Er, then what's the point of even entertaining such a notion when it has next to no chance of happening? Might as well add the Ouya into the mix too :p

And I don't think you can blame me for reading your post in relation to the predictions in this thread...since it's a prediction thread.

Well, they have active relationships with all of the major retailers.

Call up Wal-Mart corporate and talk about how Xbox One sold at the retailer this month. Then call up GameStop corporate and talk about Xbox One there as well.

If they both give you approximate sales then boom, you have 55% of NPD sales right there.

Besides that, they can estimate Xbox One sales through new consoles activated in the USA in June. And they can also extrapolate out of precedent from shipments.

MIcrosoft has direct relationships with the corporate teams at all the stores (Gamestop, Amazon, Walmart, BB, Target, etc...)... They know better than NPD what they sold in the 5 week period. They don't need shipments.

What NPD does though is provide that for all HW and all SW for everybody, so while Gamestop will tell Microsoft exactly what they sold in terms of Xbox ones, they likely don't normally tell Microsoft exactly what Sony, Nintendo, and various competitive driving titles sold.

So, NPD is great for everybody to know everything, but there is regular reporting already built into retail for the big platforms. I'm sure they're actually tempted to correct NPD from time to time when the extrapolation is somewhat off, but NPD is really close on HW numbers and unless it makes a difference in the tone of the report (e.g. XBone vs PS4) there's no real value to doing so.

Salex_

lol. Amazing. I remember when I saw that "Help" gif I couldn't stop laughing.

I don't think we'll see another NPD that entertaining for awhile. Maybe if the Wii U outsells the X1 today? Or if the Wii U outsells the PS4 and/or X1 this holiday when Smash Bros comes out.
Not in a million years, WiiU isn't capable of pushing 800k+ which XB1 and PS4 will easily do in the holiday with all those games.

Ah. I forgot about the ridiculous amount of AAA multiplatforms games coming out this holiday.

Is NPD always this hyped?

Not always. If you look at the NPD archives, a few stand out:

November 2006: Most hyped NPD ever, with its own movie trailer
July 2007: PS3 price cut fails to make a dent, Sony fans suicide en mass
September 2007: Halo 3 releases, 360 tops console charts
April 2008: Release of GTAIV, Wii destroys the PS3 and 360 combined
January 2013: Death of the Wii U
November 2013: Record breaking PS4 sales
March 2014: Titanfall releases, PS4 still beats Xbone

I'm sure I'm missing a few.

phanphare

Banned
lol. Amazing. I remember when I saw that "Help" gif I couldn't stop laughing.

I don't think we'll see another NPD that entertaining for awhile. Maybe if the Wii U outsells the X1 today? Or if the Wii U outsells the PS4 and/or X1 this holiday when Smash Bros comes out.

I could see that happening

phanphare

Banned
More than double.

that wouldn't even put X1 sales above PS4 sales for May. June also has an extra week of tracking. it ain't happening man. if it did happen the MS PR would have been much different.

Not in a million years, WiiU isn't capable of pushing 800k+ which XB1 and PS4 will easily do in the holiday with all those games.

yeah but what about this year?

:p

Serenity

NPD PR comes out at 6:30 PM, so the Big 3 are usually respectful and wait until NPD PR comes out before saying something.

PR usually starts coming out 6PM EDT at earliest with 6:30 PM being more usual

Albeit we've already gotten some MS PR

Edit: Or like what Aqua said....

Thanks. Was just wondering because I remember we would get tweets from MS before 630 about how they were number 1. The slowly came later and later in the day and its how we began to figure out that Ps4 would win a month and now we don't get them at all.

Bruno MB

Yesterday's Microsoft press release spoiled me the fun for tonight's NPD since I had predicted that 3DS would outsell Xbox One.

It certainly was a risky gamble but I thought it might be possible, now I'm hoping for a miracle :p

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
But not triple, so under 210k which is what PS4 roughly did last month without the extra week.

Why would the XB1 or PS4 necessarily hit 800K this holiday? That was launch hype last year. We'll see what the real holiday demand is this year. I really doubt both will hit those numbers. Nintendo typically gets a bigger boost in the holiday compared to Sony or MSFT and I'm pretty sure the Wii U will have all the big family friendly third party games (Disney, Skylanders, Lego, Just Dance, etc.) + their 1st party titles.

Lefein

Banned
Well, I can see why this NPD is so important. The de-bundle of Kinect should supposedly lure people back to the XBox. That was a major gripe about it at launch.

Not sure it will be enough, though. People sure got burned by that initial reveal. It's like trying to trust a girlfriend who cheated on you.

Top Bottom