• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legacy of Kain: Defiance... -_-

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
so... I have been a fan of Legacy of Kain since Soul reaver 1 on Ps1 in 1999(?), after that I've played Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2, the only reason I haven't played Blood Omen 1 is that the only version I can get my hands on isn't compatable with xp.

So yesterday I bought alot of games, among them Legacy of Kain: Defiance. The newest LoK and appearantly the last since Amy Hennig(the director of most of the games) has gone to Naughty Dog.

This game was released in 2003, and when it came alot of people said it was the LoK game with the best gameplay. Since the series always had sub-par gameplay mechanics and relied mostly on the story. The fighting system was also revamped, and now featured launchers, combos and grapple 'n toss telekenesis. In videos the fighting seemed nice and improved.

So I fire the game up to be greeted by a recap video from the previous Soul Reaver games, since this game is a part of that story arc. When gameplay kicks in I am Kain and in the Sarafan stronghold to put some hurt on Mobieus the time-streamer.

I very quickly run into two Sarafan soldiers and try out some of the new moves, there appear 'hints' in a letterbox above my head, saying stuff like "press [] repeatedly to do a combo" and la la la... feeling pretty good about that fight I move on. the game wants me to jump onto a crate so I can reach a ledge on the other wall. So I get up on the crate and jump for the ledge and barely making it, but the camera suddenly thinks I'm an asshole and shifts to a frog's eye perspective, making me unable to see what's up on the ledge I'm walking along. But I won't be led astray, I manage to get across the ledge without the camera.

I progress through the game pretty nicely over the next hour, suffering some minor clipping issues and camera problems. But the levels... they are so disgustingly poor. There is a cheat that let's you play this game textureless, and that's how it feels all along. There isn't anything to look at. all the enivorments are just there, the wall, the floor, the snowy ground.... They all just look so uninspired.

The previous Soul Reaver games had story, puzzle gameplay and atmosphere going for it.
This game has the story and the fighting mechanics. It's a shell of itself.

I only took the time to write this because I am currently stuck. I have something called "falcon insignia" and I know it's for a door I've previously seen, but where the **** is it now? no faq is much help. This is bull. I'm very close to just reading the entire ****ing transcript online, and shelfing this game forever.

Anyone know what's gonna happen with this franchise now? hardcore fans appearantly think that the soul reaver series was one story arc and that there will be more games, but with amy hennig gone from crystal dynamics I don't see how that would work out, granted I don't know how much she actually did for the games, but when ever there is a debate over some minor things it's always her word that ends the discussion.

I know silicon knights developed the initial Blood Omen, and that it was good ol' Dennis Dyack that came up with the story consept, but didn't Amy Hennig write the story for that one too?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
There has been no indication that the LoK series will continue, I believe even the diehards at nosgoth.net have given up that hope.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I was also very disappointed with Defiance for the same reasons. The level design is garbage in comparison to the Soul Reaver titles and the focus on combat really makes for a repetitive experience.

Personally, my very favorite in the series remains Soul Reaver 2, which was GREAT fun.

DarienA

Put me in the minority then. I loved the focus on combat, loved the battle engine, and enjoyed the story.

Though it's not an end to Nosgoth's tale or Kain's tale, it is sad closure to Raziel's tale.

Brobzoid

dark10x said:
Personally, my very favorite in the series remains Soul Reaver 2, which was GREAT fun.

in-****ing-deed! Soul Reaver 2 is the shit. It's the shit, RIGHT THERE! I remember printing out a ****ing Faq for that game so I could try to speed run it. Luckily I did so at the library, since it used a shit-ton of paper.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
DarienA said:
Put me in the minority then. I loved the focus on combat, loved the battle engine, and enjoyed the story.

Though it's not an end to Nosgoth's tale or Kain's tale, it is sad closure to Raziel's tale.

I agree, I enjoyed Defiance more than Soul Reaver 2 actually. The problem I had with Soul Reaver 2 was the lack of any interesting combat, which turned combat into a pointless hassle. I was hoping for the different attributes you acquire for the Reaver to be used for more than just solving puzzles, which made me feel kind of cheated. Also, there was more variation in Defiance I thought, because you switch between characters and gain more abilites actually used in battles.

And the story was slightly more interesting in Defiance I thought, partly because it actually had a decent ending. And as interesting as Raziel is as a character (from a story point of view), it was nice to finally be able to play as Kain again. :)

DarienA

Kiriku said:
And the story was slightly more interesting in Defiance I though, partly because it actually had a decent ending. And as interesting as Raziel is as a character (from a story point of view), it was nice to finally be able to play as Kain again. :)

Kain near the end all powered up truly kicked ass. ;)

Kittonwy

Banned
Brobzoid said:
so... I have been a fan of Legacy of Kain since Soul reaver 1 on Ps1 in 1999(?), after that I've played Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2, the only reason I haven't played Blood Omen 1 is that the only version I can get my hands on isn't compatable with xp.

So yesterday I bought alot of games, among them Legacy of Kain: Defiance. The newest LoK and appearantly the last since Amy Hennig(the director of most of the games) has gone to Naughty Dog.

This game was released in 2003, and when it came alot of people said it was the LoK game with the best gameplay. Since the series always had sub-par gameplay mechanics and relied mostly on the story. The fighting system was also revamped, and now featured launchers, combos and grapple 'n toss telekenesis. In videos the fighting seemed nice and improved.

So I fire the game up to be greeted by a recap video from the previous Soul Reaver games, since this game is a part of that story arc. When gameplay kicks in I am Kain and in the Sarafan stronghold to put some hurt on Mobieus the time-streamer.

I very quickly run into two Sarafan soldiers and try out some of the new moves, there appear 'hints' in a letterbox above my head, saying stuff like "press [] repeatedly to do a combo" and la la la... feeling pretty good about that fight I move on. the game wants me to jump onto a crate so I can reach a ledge on the other wall. So I get up on the crate and jump for the ledge and barely making it, but the camera suddenly thinks I'm an asshole and shifts to a frog's eye perspective, making me unable to see what's up on the ledge I'm walking along. But I won't be led astray, I manage to get across the ledge without the camera.

I progress through the game pretty nicely over the next hour, suffering some minor clipping issues and camera problems. But the levels... they are so disgustingly poor. There is a cheat that let's you play this game textureless, and that's how it feels all along. There isn't anything to look at. all the enivorments are just there, the wall, the floor, the snowy ground.... They all just look so uninspired.

The previous Soul Reaver games had story, puzzle gameplay and atmosphere going for it.
This game has the story and the fighting mechanics. It's a shell of itself.

I only took the time to write this because I am currently stuck. I have something called "falcon insignia" and I know it's for a door I've previously seen, but where the **** is it now? no faq is much help. This is bull. I'm very close to just reading the entire ****ing transcript online, and shelfing this game forever.

Anyone know what's gonna happen with this franchise now? hardcore fans appearantly think that the soul reaver series was one story arc and that there will be more games, but with amy hennig gone from crystal dynamics I don't see how that would work out, granted I don't know how much she actually did for the games, but when ever there is a debate over some minor things it's always her word that ends the discussion.

I know silicon knights developed the initial Blood Omen, and that it was good ol' Dennis Dyack that came up with the story consept, but didn't Amy Hennig write the story for that one too?

Defiance sucks compared to the first two Soul Reavers, the change in design philosophy from action adventure to more of a DMC-clone was a huge mistake because they don't really understand how that type of combat works. The lack of a free camera along with the lack-luster levels totally destroyed the sense of exploration.

In addition to Amy Hennig leaving to join Naughty Dog, lead designer Richard Lemarchand also left to join Naughty Dog (before Amy Hennig did actually), and you can tell from Defiance that Riley Cooper as a lead designer isn't as good when both Hennig and Lemarchand were on their way out.

Amy was the design manager for Blood Omen as well, obviously an integral part of the series throughout in terms of storyline and gameplay design.

The series is dead for all intents and purposes, why would any REAL Soul Reaver fan want Crystal Dynamics to make another half-assed sequel after Defiance?

Kittonwy

Banned
dark10x said:
I was also very disappointed with Defiance for the same reasons. The level design is garbage in comparison to the Soul Reaver titles and the focus on combat really makes for a repetitive experience.

I liked Soul Reaver better probably because of better level designs, they had so many great coherent level puzzles in the first one, it was really an epic game when it first came out, Soul Reaver 2 was great too but it didn't feel as epic, great ending sequence though.

Lain

I liked Defiance, even tho it wasn't what i really wanted from a proper Kain game, at least it had a proper ending ( Soul Reaver, i'm looking at you... ) and a badass Kain.
Even tho i enjoyed the LoK:BO spinoffs and sequels, none of them ever came close to matching the awesomeness of the first one for me.

Anyways, since Hennig isn't there anymore, imho the LoK games are dead. They can make new ones, but they won't really be "proper" entries in the series in my eyes.

Brobzoid

so with the two primary designers of LoK at Naughty Dog, will Naughty Dog's games from this point on be more story centered and compelling as such? Their ps3 game seems to be able to suit this.

DarienA

Kittonwy said:
The series is dead for all intents and purposes, why would any REAL Soul Reaver fan want Crystal Dynamics to make another half-assed sequel after Defiance?

I so love when people use the word REAL, as if that makes you more of a fan than I just because you didn't like certain games in the series that I did...

:rolleyes

Amy had pretty much nothing to do with the story (No significant contributions whatsoever) - it was completed before she started at Crystal. She had little input on design as well.

Amy was the design manager for Blood Omen as well, obviously an integral part of the series throughout in terms of storyline and gameplay design.

Kittonwy - your claimed expertise on this subject is laughable.

Denis.

Kittonwy

Banned
Denis Dyack said:
Amy had pretty much nothing to do with the story (No significant contributions whatsoever) - it was completed before she started at Crystal. She had little input on design as well.

Kittonwy - your claimed expertise on this subject is laughable.

Denis.

I haven't claimed any expertise to begin with. If she was listed in the credits for story for the Soul Reaver series and she was listed as design manager for Blood Omen, then I don't see why anyone would try to take credit away from her. You might as well try to take credit for the Soul Reaver games which your own company wasn't directly involved in developing, although I do find that just a tad disingenuous. I doubt Amy would have free time to come to GAF to argue with you over a game made almost 10 years ago.

Kittonwy

Banned
DarienA said:
I so love when people use the word REAL, as if that makes you more of a fan than I just because you didn't like certain games in the series that I did...

:rolleyes

Well I apologize if I have offended you, but I wouldn't want another sequel just for the sake of having another sequel given the story has essentially wrapped itself up. Whether you liked it and I didn't like it is beside the point, Defiance was the least critically acclaimed game out of the three in the Soul Reaver series, and maybe I just don't have as much confidence that if they make another game it would be all that good, that's all.

DarienA

Kittonwy said:
Well, I wouldn't want another sequel just for the sake of having another sequel given the story essentially wrapped itself up. Whether you liked it and I didn't like it is beside the point, Defiance was the worst game out of the three in the Soul Reaver series, and maybe I just don't have as much confidence that if they make another game it would be all that good, that's all.

That's just it. Only the Soul Reaver/Raziel's tale was wrapped up, Nosgoth's final destiny is still very much up in the air. Thank goodness your opinion of Defiance is simply that, one of many opinions.

Denis Dyack said:
Is this only in relation to Blood Omen? Or does it also follow through with the following games in the series?

I haven't claimed any expertise to begin with. If she was listed in the credits for story for the Soul Reaver series and she was listed as design manager for Blood Omen, then I don't see why anyone would try to take credit away from her. You might as well try to take credit for the Soul Reaver games which your own company wasn't directly involved in developing, although I do find that just a tad disingenuous. I doubt Amy would have free time to come to GAF to argue with you over a game made almost 10 years ago.

:lol oh yes you have - especially in previous posts about this subject that I have browsed from time to time. And I was not referring to Soul Reaver, I was speaking of the original Blood Omen which we (Silicon Knights) created, wrote the story and did the game design. So stop with the disingenuous hypothetical garbage. When it come to the original game you are grossly inaccurately and uninformed, let’s just leave it at that.

Denis.

Is this only in relation to Blood Omen? Or does it also follow through with the following games in the series?
I was referring to the original game only here. The original concept for Soul Reaver did not come from Amy either but that is another story. Crystal took the series in a direction that we would have never taken it.

Kittonwy

Banned
DarienA said:
That's just it. Only the Soul Reaver/Raziel's tale was wrapped up, Nosgoth's final destiny is still very much up in the air. Thank goodness your opinion of Defiance is simply that, one of many opinions.

That's true, it's just my opinion, but I think it's a better idea to just leave Nosgoth's ultimate fate to the player's imagination, sometimes a story doesn't need to have every single loose end tied up, you know? ^__^

Brobzoid

Denis Dyack said:
I was referring to the original game only here. The original concept for Soul Reaver did not come from Amy either but that is another story. Crystal took the series in a direction that we would have never taken it.

So do you feel that the direction that crystal dynamics took it was wrong, and if so would you see them continue the design choices set by Blood Omen instead?

Also, is there a version of Blood Omen that is compatable with XP?

Denis Dyack said:
It would have been interesting to see Silicon Knights' full direction in the series. Nevertheless, I'm satisfied with Crystal Dynamics' efforts.

I liked Defiance.

Chris_C

I thought Defiance was the best game in the series, I wouldn't mind seeing more Soul Reaver, but only if they can keep the narrative quality up. That and Tony Jay passed away this year.

Kittonwy

Banned
Denis Dyack said:
:lol oh yes you have - especially in previous posts about this subject that I have browsed from time to time. And I was not referring to Soul Reaver, I was speaking of the original Blood Omen which we (Silicon Knights) created, wrote the story and did the game design. So stop with the disingenuous hypothetical garbage. When it come to the original game you are grossly inaccurately and uninformed, let’s just leave it at that.

Denis.

Really? Where did I explicitly state that I was the expert or guru of your precious Blood Omen? And when did I ever guarantee any of the information I post about the series is 100% consistent with what you perceive as facts from your side of the story? In addition, I talked much more about Soul Reaver than Blood Omen in general. Your subtle attempt to downplay Amy's contribution to the series seems pretty disingenuous to me, let's just leave it at that.

Kittonwy

Banned
Chris_C said:
I thought Defiance was the best game in the series, I wouldn't mind seeing more Soul Reaver, but only if they can keep the narrative quality up. That and Tony Jay passed away this year.

That's true, I can't believe there's no more elder god now.

Mareg

Brobzoid said:
the only reason I haven't played Blood Omen 1 is that the only version I can get my hands on isn't compatable with xp.

Hum, you have not experienced good story telling until you have experienced LOK : Blood Omen 1. It is easily comparable to the best fantasy book from your favorite author. A piece of art rarely ever seen these days.

-Rogue5-

Chris_C said:

I was about to say the same thing. I thought, as far as narrative and story is concerned, Definance was astonishingly good. It tied up quite a few loose ends, and left one last major story component wide-open (Kain fulfilling his legacy or not.)

In all honesty, I didn't even notice the repetitiveness because I was too involved in the story (how Raziel and Kain's portions would eventually collide)... The way they did it was slightly mind-blowing.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Kittonwy said:
Really? Where did I explicitly state that I was the expert or guru of your precious Blood Omen? And when did I ever guarantee any of the information I post about the series is 100% consistent with what you perceive as facts from your side of the story? In addition, I talked much more about Soul Reaver than Blood Omen in general. Your subtle attempt to downplay Amy's contribution to the series seems pretty disingenuous to me, let's just leave it at that.

[instigator]
Well, while *I* know what you were trying to convey when you said:

In addition to Amy Hennig leaving to join Naughty Dog, lead designer Richard Lemarchand also left to join Naughty Dog (before Amy Hennig did actually), and you can tell from Defiance that Riley Cooper as a lead designer isn't as good when both Hennig and Lemarchand were on their way out.

She wasn't an "integral part" when it came to the storyline and gameplay until Soul Reaver, and I'm assuming from this quote:

Denis Dyack said:
...The original concept for Soul Reaver did not come from Amy either but that is another story. Crystal took the series in a direction that we would have never taken it.

...that Denis was... lukewarm about the changes to Blood Omen Mythos that Amy may have made. You may have just touched a nerve.
[/instigator]

Getting back on topic:
Ironically I've NEVER played the original Blood Omen. I've played the 2 Soul Reavers, and didn't try Blood Omen 2 because I wanted to play the first. I didn't like Defiance. I think I was looking for something similar to Soul Reaver, and when I got more of a brawler, with a more angsty Kain, the game lost my interest.

Big fan of the LoK/Blood Omen series myself, played all but the first Blood Omen (*sob*).

The combat in Defiance was definatly an improvment, relative to other games in the series. But it lacked some of the cool environment puzzles of other games in the series. Perhaps it's the nostalgia glasses but the cathedral in Soul Reaver sticks out as being really cool.

But the story was totally worth the price of admission for Defiance. The ending was surprisingly decent. I actually came away more or less satisfied. And considering I've been following the story over 4 games, I was very happy I was not let down, since there will likely not be another its seems.

Far and away the best moment was
The fight between Raziel and Kain. Seriously after following these characters over 4 games, watching them, as seemingly everything in the world seems to be pushing them towards battleing each other, with only the two of them trying to avoid it while they try and defy fate. And then Raziel goes, '****, FINE LET'S RUMBLE YOU PANSY'. It was like watching a train wreck, as all their plans and actions seemingly were wasted. And yet, incredibly epic that these two were finally going to go at it after weaving in and out of each others lives for so long.

And the final moments of the time streamer were pretty cool too.

Chris_C

-Rogue5- said:
I was about to say the same thing. I thought, as far as narrative and story is concerned, Definance was astonishingly good. It tied up quite a few loose ends, and left one last major story component wide-open (Kain fulfilling his legacy or not.)

In all honesty, I didn't even notice the repetitiveness because I was too involved in the story (how Raziel and Kain's portions would eventually collide)... The way they did it was slightly mind-blowing.

Agreed, the way the story unfolded, and the pacing of it, as well as the magnificent voice acting by those involved easily made me overlook the game's shortcomings.

There's also the fact that I was somewhat disappointed with Soul Reaver 2 because it didn't seem to do much different than the PS1 game.

I really think they crafted a very unique tapestry for the Kain/Soul Reaver games, with a hugely rich well to draw from that's rarely seen in videogames, it'd be a shame to just let it lie stagnant.

Really? Where did I explicitly state that I was the expert or guru of your precious Blood Omen? And when did I ever guarantee any of the information I post about the series is 100% consistent with what you perceive as facts from your side of the story? In addition, blah blah blah....

LOL, you are such a tool - often, implicitly in many posts. A quick search is all it takes to find a few.

Crystal Dynamics stole the the orginal idea for Soul Reaver from Silicon Knights. Thats why they went top court and got sued. the prequel to soul Reaver was made by Silicon knights.

Interesting how Crystal Dynamics actually were the ones who ended up basically winning the suit, they were the publisher of the original Blood Omen (and thus own the publishing rights to begin with), so I wonder if maybe SK didn't really get ripped off, given the designer manager for the original Blood Omen was the director of Soul Reaver and could have generated her own ideas and creative direction for the game. Most of the original team who developed Blood Omen isn't even with SK anymore. Maybe these people split and just went and developed Soul Reaver for Eidos despite SK and Dyack not liking it even though Dyack couldn't do anything about it, because he doesn't own the IP.

Yes they are... you could not more wrong about this. BTW - the case never went to trial it was settled...

And one more thing:

Legacy of Kain begs to ****ing differ. That being said, they know a hell of alot more than the fanboys who seem to think THEY themselves do.

Design manager Amy Hennig at Naughty Dog says hi. 11 out of 12 designers and 2 out of 3 lead designers who are no longer involved with SK beg to ****ing differ. It's high time Dyack apologists stop milking a 10 year-old game for credit in a desperate attempt at damage control.

Yah....you're clearly the expert here.

Denis

DarienA

PedroLumpy said:
Far and away the best moment was
The fight between Raziel and Kain. Seriously after following these characters over 4 games, watching them, as seemingly everything in the world seems to be pushing them towards battleing each other, with only the two of them trying to avoid it while they try and defy fate. And then Raziel goes, '****, FINE LET'S RUMBLE YOU PANSY'. It was like watching a train wreck, as all their plans and actions seemingly were wasted. And yet, incredibly epic that these two were finally going to go at it after weaving in and out of each others lives for so long.

And the final moments of the time streamer were pretty cool too.

I don't know why you spoiled those considered Defiance has been out for quite awhile now.... refresh my memory who were we playing when Raziel finally fought Kain... wasn't one of them full of anger/bloodlust during the fight? I know whomever it was the computer put a stompin on my ass the first few times.

Oh and I love Mobeus death... killed by Kain... he's like no big deal I'll get my boss to revive me... then whoops.. killed by Raziel in the spirit world... sorry buddy now you're really dead.

Brobzoid

DarienA said:
I don't know why you spoiled those considered Defiance has been out for quite awhile now.... refresh my memory who were we playing when Raziel finally fought Kain... wasn't one of them full of anger/bloodlust during the fight? I know whomever it was the computer put a stompin on my ass the first few times.

Oh and I love Mobeus death... killed by Kain... he's like no big deal I'll get my boss to revive me... then whoops.. killed by Raziel in the spirit world... sorry buddy now you're really dead.

well he might have spoilered it because I have only played a couple of hours into the game, and it's my thread, sucka.

But I used a cheat to unlock all the cut-scenes and saw them instead. now there is little reason to actually play the game.

and don't you play as both in that fight since raziel wins first, then kain comes back killing him?

DarienA

Brobzoid said:
well he might have spoilered it because I have only played a couple of hours into the game, and it's my thread, sucka.

But I used a cheat to unlock all the cut-scenes and saw them instead. now there is little reason to actually play the game.

and don't you play as both in that fight since raziel wins first, then kain comes back killing him?

I can't remember I'm going to have to go look at a Faq real quick. Yup you're right... I just don't remember the storyline at this point that explains why that fight was happening... is one of them possessed by Hylden at that point?

I really loved all of them... a lot.

Well, maybe all but Blood Omen 2. I don't think I got very far in it, I don't remember. But yea, awesome series though I would have loved another like Blood Omen 1.

Brobzoid

DarienA said:
I can't remember I'm going to have to go look at a Faq real quick. Yup you're right... I just don't remember the storyline at this point that explains why that fight was happening... is one of them possessed by Hylden at that point?

No, I think raziel only wanted the heart of darkness to give to janos. But his eyes beam with green light every now and then, so perhaps.

Kittonwy

Banned
Denis Dyack said:
LOL, you are such a tool - often, implicitly in many posts. A quick search is all it takes to find a few.

Resorting to personal attacks now are ya? There's no such thing as claiming to be a knowledgeable expert or guru "implicitly", especially when I do not claim to be an expert. If someone asks me whether I'm an expert, I would have to answer "no", I guess to you somehow that would oddly imply that I'm an expert.

Yes they are... you could not more wrong about this. BTW - the case never went to trial it was settled...

Wrong about what? All I did was check the credits for the game and see who has moved on to other projects at other developers after Blood Omen was released, if they're working at other places geographically removed from Ontario Canada like Seth Carus and Riley Cooper, then maybe, just MAYBE, QUITE POSSIBLY, that they're not with Silicon Knights anymore?

Does Silicon Knight retain rights to the series? Nope. Whether you guys lost the case or had to settle, you no longer have control over the license, I guess to you that means somehow Crystal Dynamics didn't come out of it better off.

Yah....you're clearly the expert here.

Denis

Thanks for calling me an expert but I'm not an expert, and I did not claim or imply that I was an expert. :)

Iceshade

My return key is broken.
I am a huge fan of the Legacy of Kain series and I still feel Legacy of Kain:Blood Omen is the best game in the series (despite the fact I've beaten Legacy Of Kain:Soul Reaver almost 4 times). While I would love another installment in the series, the lack of Amy Hennig and the other lead designer makes me feel it's not gonna happen. Oh well, at least Legacy Of Kain Defiance had fun combat and a satisfying but sad ending to Raziel's story.

Kittonwy

Banned
Iceshade said:
I am a huge fan of the Legacy of Kain series and I still feel Legacy of Kain:Blood Omen is the best game in the series (despite the fact I've beaten Legacy Of Kain:Soul Reaver almost 4 times). While I would love another installment in the series, the lack of Amy Hennig and the other lead designer makes me feel it's not gonna happen. Oh well, at least Legacy Of Kain Defiance had fun combat and a satisfying but sad ending to Raziel's story.

Isn't Crystal Dynamics now working on the Tomb Raider series (I don't know if this is a permanent arrangement or not, since I'm NOT AN EXPERT and I AM NOT IMPLYING THAT I'M AN EXPERT :) )?

DarienA

Regardless of how we all feel about the series I think we can all agree BO2 was the worst game in the series.

But man I sure would like to know who's going to win in Nosgoth... the Hylden Lord still inhabits Janos body IIRC.

Seth Carus and Riley Cooper, then maybe, just MAYBE, QUITE POSSIBLY, that they're not with Silicon Knights anymore?
Since they were never with Silicon Knights, I think the answer would be no. LOL you're an awesome fact finder... Keep doing your credit searches - a wealth of knowledge there.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Kittonwy said:
if they're working at other places geographically removed from Ontario Canada like Seth Carus and Riley Cooper

Seth and Riley both worked at Crystal Dynamics, and were sent to Silicon Knights to help them meet deadlines.

Chris_C

ANYWAY. I really thought a great job was done with the art in Defiance, and technically it looked astounding. I also hope more devs go the route they went as far as behind the scenes content, it was amazing to see all those voice actors in the flesh delivering their lines.

FlyinJ said:
Seth and Riley both worked at Crystal Dynamics, and were sent to Silicon Knights to help them meet deadlines.

They did work at Crystal but the rest is also not accurate. Riley never came to Silicon Knights for any significant time - I think I met him once during the development. I believe he quit Crystal before we finished Kain (a year before i think) to go back to school. He also had little to do with the game. Seth did come and stay at SK for a few months near the end of the project. Saying that they came down to help SK meet deadlines is also inaccurate. Anyway, enough of this.

Just wanted to point out that Kit has no clue.

Brobzoid

Chris_C said:
ANYWAY. I really thought a great job was done with the art in Defiance, and technically it looked astounding. I also hope more devs go the route they went as far as behind the scenes content, it was amazing to see all those voice actors in the flesh delivering their lines.

whut? the art? the art design or the assets?

crunker99

Has the video game scene over the last 15 years or so taught all of you nothing??

THE GAME WILL COME BACK AT SOME POINT

jesus guys, havent you figured out by now that developers LOVE to revamp old series and push them out on consoles when they run out of original new IPs?

and Kain is a seris that coudl be milked for 5 or 6 titles at least

we WILL see a new Kain game eventually, just a matter of how long

Brobzoid

crunker99 said:
Has the video game scene over the last 15 years or so taught all of you nothing??

THE GAME WILL COME BACK AT SOME POINT

jesus guys, havent you figured out by now that developers LOVE to revamp old series and push them out on consoles when they run out of original new IPs?

and Kain is a seris that coudl be milked for 5 or 6 titles at least

we WILL see a new Kain game eventually, just a matter of how long

say that to Street Fighter.

Top Bottom