• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legacy of Kain: Defiance... -_-

Unison said:
Denis owned Kittowny. Now I feel obligated to buy Too Human...
hehe. it's nice that someone found the time to call this douche out, it should probably happen more often. ya plus points for too human in my book aswell I think. great thread in any case

Kevtones

Thanks for clearing it up Denis. I'm sure you'll have to do the some more of this when Too Human comes for out the PS4 :D

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Chris_C said:
The assets (which are also art believe it or not). The concept art itself was somewhat hit and miss.

I didn't mean that the assets weren't, they are. But The assets from Soul Reaver 1 and 2 stand out as much better compared to Defiance's.

ram

Brobzoid said:
in-****ing-deed! Soul Reaver 2 is the shit. It's the shit, RIGHT THERE! I remember printing out a ****ing Faq for that game so I could try to speed run it. Luckily I did so at the library, since it used a shit-ton of paper.

yeah, soul reaver 2 is the best in the series - even today the game looks and plays awesome.

defiance is trash. the fighting system isnt good as it should be for a action game, but the greatest downfall is the gamedesign. most of the time youre running clueless through the world. thas was really annoying to me, that in the end, i quit the game and finished the story at some internet website.

my hit list:

- soul reaver 2
- soul reaver
- blood omen 2
- blood omen (yeah, it is not a good game in my mind)
- defiance

yamaneko

Soul Reaver 1 and 2 are greatests games for ps1 e ps2

but

Legacy of Kain defiance is worst

When u control Raziel the game is good

Now when u control kain the game is very bad

plus

Raziel without habilities from the old gamers

Legacy of Kain Defiance is the Blacksheep of the family

=/

Kittonwy

Banned
Denis Dyack said:
They did work at Crystal but the rest is also not accurate. Riley never came to Silicon Knights for any significant time - I think I met him once during the development. I believe he quit Crystal before we finished Kain (a year before i think) to go back to school. He also had little to do with the game. Seth did come and stay at SK for a few months near the end of the project. Saying that they came down to help SK meet deadlines is also inaccurate. Anyway, enough of this.

Just wanted to point out that Kit has no clue.

So they listed people in the credits who have little to do with the game as designers/lead designers? Why would they even do that? What's with the whole downplaying the role of people currently and previously with Crystal Dynamics? First Amy, now Seth and Riley. It's too bad they're not here to clarify the situation about their roles with the game.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
ram said:
yeah, soul reaver 2 is the best in the series - even today the game looks and plays awesome.

defiance is trash. the fighting system isnt good as it should be for a action game, but the greatest downfall is the gamedesign. most of the time youre running clueless through the world. thas was really annoying to me, that in the end, i quit the game and finished the story at some internet website.

my hit list:

- soul reaver 2
- soul reaver
- blood omen 2
- blood omen (yeah, it is not a good game in my mind)
- defiance

completely how I felt when I was playing it. I was running around till I found a door that I had not seen before because the camera craps out alot of shit. then run till there is a cut-scene or fight. then the level ends and you change character.

edit: yamaneko, do I know you from Gamefaqs?

Mifune

Mehmber
Kittonwy said:
So they listed people in the credits who have little to do with the game as designers/lead designers? Why would they even do that? What's with the whole downplaying the role of people currently and previously with Crystal Dynamics? First Amy, now Seth and Riley. It's too bad they're not here to clarify the situation about their roles with the game.

They probably were just in charge of the game on Crystal's end.

By the way, this mislabeling of titles happens all the time in other industries. Why not video games?

Draft

the best moment in the entire LoK series is when Kain kills Moebius in the original Blood Omen. I love how he barely lets the sniveling little toad finish his little diatribe about being immortal before lopping his head off.

I still think, "Ah Nupraptor, I knew him well... well, not really." is one of the best bits of flavor text in the history of gaming.

WOW.I never realized how much of a douche bag Dennis Dyack is! I've always had respect for Silicon Knight's work, but after reading DD's responses, my opinion has completely been changed.

First of all, shouldn't you be working? I mean Too Human has only been in development for like, what, 10 years? What kind of higher-up trolls thru message boards to argue with the f*@#ing gamers? Real mature.

Second, Amy Hennig and CD should be commended for taking this series and running with it. They created a rich mythology from the working's of the original game, and introduced new characters as well as delving into events and characters barely mentioned in BO (Janos Audron). God, if Crystal hadn't taken the series, do you people really think we would've seen a sequel? I seriously doubt it. This is Silicon Knights we're talking about. How many games have they released since BO? I count 2 (if I'm wrong DD will no doubt chime in like the mature buisnessman that he is), Eternal Darkness (great game, poor character models) and Metal Gear Solid: TS (Not even their game, a remake. Also poor character models.). In the time it took them to make 2 whole games, we've received FOUR LOK titles.

Draft

Masked Devil said:
WOW.I never realized how much of a douche bag Dennis Dyack is! I've always had respect for Silicon Knight's work, but after reading DD's responses, my opinion has completely been changed.

First of all, shouldn't you be working? I mean Too Human has only been in development for like, what, 10 years? What kind of higher-up trolls thru message boards to argue with the f*@#ing gamers? Real mature.

Second, Amy Hennig and CD should be commended for taking this series and running with it. They created a rich mythology from the working's of the original game, and introduced new characters as well as delving into events and characters barely mentioned in BO (Janos Audron). God, if Crystal hadn't taken the series, do you people really think we would've seen a sequel? I seriously doubt it. This is Silicon Knights we're talking about. How many games have they released since BO? I count 2 (if I'm wrong DD will no doubt chime in like the mature buisnessman that he is), Eternal Darkness (great game, poor character models) and Metal Gear Solid: TS (Not even their game, a remake. Also poor character models.). In the time it took them to make 2 whole games, we've received FOUR LOK titles.
well, lets be honest here, one of those LOK games was pretty much the worst thing ever made, and defiance wasn't anything to write home about.

Soul Reaver 1 is like the best PSX game of all time though, so much love for Hennig and crew.

Wait all we have to do to get a tag around here is to constantly spout out horribly wrong info on a game whose designer actually visits GAF and then make a complete jackass of your self when your corrected? ....Ok here it goes.

Jaffe, I really disliked that platformer you made Gods of War. We all know the credit should have gone to Kojima for his work on Devil May Cry which you ripped off. You will never be able to copy the success of the first GoW again, especially with other Far superior games in the genre coming out like Ninja Gaiden Sigma , unless you hand the series off too a better development house like Bungie. I don’t think we will ever see a sequel. And **** you Jaffe if you think other wise!

Tag please. :lol

Ashodin

Masked Devil said:

You may be banned now, but dude:

Never question a game's OWN DESIGNERS about what goes down in their company. They will own you for all you're worth.

Kittonwy Owned. Dyack Wins. FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Pimpbaa

I loved the story of the whole series, but I haven't loved every game in the series. Soul Reaver 1 is my favorite. Soul Reaver 2 was ok but it felt like a hell of a lot of backtracking with the time travel and a lot shorter. My enjoyment of Defiance was almost totally ruined by the stupid fixed camera angles (and extreme level repetitiveness). I kinda like blood omen 2 (despite it's horrible bugginess), I dunno why people hated it so much. I never got a chance to play blood omen 1 when it first came out. I found it in a bargain bin well into the ps2's lifetime. I enjoyed it but it did have a lot of faults. Terrible graphics (even by ps1 standards), too much loading, game would freeze up on me occasionally (possibly due to compatibility issues on the ps2), the game world felt overly lifeless (doesn't help that people in the game repeat the same lines over and over). I would have liked to see a sequel in the same vain, but I felt soul reaver 1 brought the series into a better direction (only for the rest of the series to fail to be as good as it).

Alex

Legacy of Kain would've been a damn fine game (still, by modern standards, I loved it when it came out) if it were simply cleaned up.

The story line for Kain was very solid but not fantastic, however the scenario design for Blood Omen was some of the best ever, so many kickass scenes.

Gattsu25

Banned
Damn, Dyack :lol That was great reading :b

IIRC, I rented Blood Omen 1 for the PSX way back when...I remember thinking the game was fun but had to return it due to the disc being damaged. So, my first full romp through Kain's world was through the first Soul Reaver game on the PSX and then again on the DC <3

I loved the first SR, truly blew me away. I enjoyed SR2 but couldn't get over the bad ending...Defiance I liked for the story but the gameplay was the pits. I held off on playing Blood Omen 2 until I could track down a working copy of the original...but :(

mikeGFG

Banned
Maxrpg said:
Never question a game's OWN DESIGNERS about what goes down in their company. They will own you for all you're worth.

Kittonwy Owned. Dyack Wins. FLAWLESS VICTORY.
gladtomeetya.gif

GodMike

Banned
Hahaha. Its about time a gaming nerd got owned hardcore. Tools roaming the forums and spouting off about things they know nothing about like they have first hand knowledge or something. They are just as bad as those EB/GS tools who spout off nonesense like Halo being a PS3 title and shit.

Good for Denis, owning that fool. I wish I could see pwnage like that more often. That made my night.

Ashodin

GodMike said:
Hahaha. Its about time a gaming nerd got owned hardcore. Tools roaming the forums and spouting off about things they know nothing about like they have first hand knowledge or something. They are just as bad as those EB/GS tools who spout off nonesense like Halo being a PS3 title and shit.

Good for Denis, owning that fool. I wish I could see pwnage like that more often. That made my night.
I daresay Kittonwy is just about the most hated person here on GAF. He definitely is hated on quite a bit in the IRC chat.
jerkit.gif

bud

Kittonwy owned by..................................................DENNIS DYACK.....................................THE MAN WORKING ON TOO HUMAN

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom