• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Battletech

Thanati

So I was perusing Gamepass last night and came across Battletech. (https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/battletech/about).

In all honesty, I'd never heard of this before (I know, I apologize) and, I have to say, this title is amazing! The atmosphere they manage to build and create is incredible and the intro is one of the most beautifully crafted things I've seen in a long time. I'm really enjoying it, so if anyone was curious, give it a go. It's a damned fine title!

Last edited:

Crayon

Have you ever heard of BattleTech at all? I mean the franchise or universe?

It's near and dear to my heart and quite old. It was (still is, check it out) a tabletop war game. There haven't been many video game adaptations but there's a pretty good track record there.

Thanati

Have you ever heard of BattleTech at all? I mean the franchise or universe?

It's near and dear to my heart and quite old. It was (still is, check it out) a tabletop war game. There haven't been many video game adaptations but there's a pretty good track record there.
I've "heard" of it but never looked into it. I know of Mechwarrior and Mechcommander games etc. but never saw this.

I'm tempted to try out the tabletop version now as well. Thanks for the heads up!

ANDS

Thought gaf was racist. Now knows better, honorary gaffer 2022
I've "heard" of it but never looked into it. I know of Mechwarrior and Mechcommander games etc. but never saw this.

I'm tempted to try out the tabletop version now as well. Thanks for the heads up!

Apparently those are two sides of the same coin. MW5 is also a decent enough game (no where close to the writing quality of BT though), but BT - which I haven't finished - really scratches that "merc life" itch. Both have everlasting company modes though they achieve it with varying levels of success.

Crayon

If you're looking at the table top game, check out the product "a game of armored combat". It's a very complete set and I think it's about 50 bucks. It's got everything you need in there to have a game.

Unlike a lot of tabletop games, the rules never change. So it's kind of like having a chess set. A Sci-Fi nerd chess set.

Last edited:

Thanati

Apparently those are two sides of the same coin. MW5 is also a decent enough game (no where close to the writing quality of BT though), but BT - which I haven't finished - really scratches that "merc life" itch. Both have everlasting company modes though they achieve it with varying levels of success.
I played MW5 and, had to admit, I just couldn't get into it. There was something about it I just didn't like. I might give it another go.

I played Mech Commander to death though, back in the day :)

But I love the care and attention they put into Battletech. The way they tell the story is truly phenomenal.

Thanati

If you're looking at the table top game, check out the product "a game of armored combat". It's a very complete set and I think it's about 50 bucks. It's got everything you need in there to have a game.
Ah, brilliant. Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated!

Wildebeest

It was a controversial game on release because the Unity engine had a lot of problems and the game was a pig to play. Yeah, it is much closer to the original tabletop game than any of the older spin-offs.

Crayon

The intro is especially good by the standards of that style. It's not cheap looking or out of place. Feels perfect.

Top Bottom