• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

duckroll

Finished Episode 6. Wow. I'm impressed. Marvel finally made a Netflix series which didn't feel dragged out. All it took was to make it a 6 episode series! That was funny, entertaining, and pretty satisfying. It was pretty low key for a Marvel series, but it had good vibe.

Wait... why is Netflix trying to load another episode. There's an episode 7? Wut? Noooooooooooooo.

I wish he worked out a little bit for the role

If he's got a body like that at his normal weight, imagine how brolic he'd be if he worked out for a month

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Finished Episode 6. Wow. I'm impressed. Marvel finally made a Netflix series which didn't feel dragged out. All it took was to make it a 6 episode series! That was funny, entertaining, and pretty satisfying. It was pretty low key for a Marvel series, but it had good vibe.

Wait... why is Netflix trying to load another episode. There's an episode 7? Wut? Noooooooooooooo.
Thats marvel shows. Strong beginnings, middling middles, great(?) endings.

This is your fault

Forward. Always.

KidJr

Sooo much to like a lot to dislike. Coming off of narcos season 2 which may be top ten in all time television seasons for me, luke cage's weak points are therefore amplified. However it does a lot well, stylish, music is exceptional, the tone of Harlem and the black lives matter social notes are great. But Luke himself is pretty shit and where Jessica jones can get away with having incredibly average action scenes I don't get why they're so bad in Luke cage. I get they didn't want to make this all about action but thought some of the editing was really nice. Some really good story archs (Mariah) but didn't enjoy
diamond back
at all.

asagami_

Banned
I am at 3 episodes to finish and I love how Luke changes through the series.
Funny Luke is better than Sad Luke.

Oh and Mariah mentions someone from certain series :p
I would like to see what happened to Jessica, but between DDS2 and Luke Cage I get the idea she is at the eye of the hurricane.

kswiston

I am currently on Episode 10, and am starting to see where the complaints are coming from.

Why did the writers think that Diamondback was a good idea?

Just finished, overall thought it was pretty good (and that MUSIC baby that MUSIC)

I think they could've done Diamondback better, definitely wouldn't have minded them going a different direction with Cottonmouth cause BOY I liked him better as a villain than Diamondback who, while not shoehorned, did feel like he just popped into existence a little too quick. Like his backstory/intro needed more time in the oven.

Not nearly enough love in here for Shades. Holy shit I was basically cheering for him, loved it!

Christine

Shades was great. Diamondback, eh, well, let's just say that at no point did I ever find it even slightly verging on plausible that this dude ever ran a criminal organization. I have a hard time imagining him managing a 7-11 for 24 hours without
murderizing everyone. Slurpee? You buy or you die.

Forward. Always.
Ha, that's good.
Shades was great. Diamondback, eh, well, let's just say that at no point did I ever find it even slightly verging on plausible that this dude ever ran a criminal organization. I have a hard time imagining him managing a 7-11 for 24 hours without
murderizing everyone. Slurpee? You buy or you die.

Diamondback was there to spout off movie references and act like a gangster from Black Dynamite living in the real world. I just dismissed all sense of belief and went with it.

GeeTeeCee

Just finished episode 12.

The whole episode
and the ending in particular
feels like a bad parody of the genuine quality and tone the show was working with earlier on in the season.

Blader

About halfway through the show. Not as good as DD, and probably the slowest of the Marvel Netflix series (I've never had a problem with the pacing in these shows the way others do, but I'm feeling it here). But overall I like it. Colter is great in the role, and I'm loving Misty Knight and Cottonmouth. Some of the supporting cast is incredibly paper thin, and it's starting to grate in the same way that the support group characters in JJ did. Like Bobby Fish. Does this guy just live in the barbershop and play chess with himself all day?!

The music is dope af. Love the soundtrack.

It's funny how divisive opinions of these netflix shows get. To a near 1-1, I've heard so far:

Luke/Colter is great in the role and totally captures the character. He's a terrible, wooden actor that can't act for shit.
Diamondback fucking sucks. Diamondback was fucking awesome.
Misty Knight is fantastic. Misty Knight is dull.
Mariah Stokes/Alfre Woodard did horrible. She's the best character on the show.
Shades is unbearable. Shades is top 3 character.
Even the side characters are great. All the side characters are paper-thin.
The writing is superb. The writing is sooo bad, someone needs to hire new writers.
Much faster pace than DD/JJ. I'm really feeling how this show drags compared to DD/JJ.

Only consistent thing I've heard is the adoration of Cottonmouth.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's funny how divisive opinions of these netflix shows get. To a near 1-1, I've heard so far:

Luke/Colter is great in the role and totally captures the character. He's a terrible, wooden actor that can't act for shit.
The writing is superb. The writing is sooo bad, someone needs to hire new writers.
Much faster pace than DD/JJ. I'm really feeling how this show drags compared to DD/JJ.

WHAT ASSHOLES ARE TALKIN SHIT ABOUT MISTY?!

FIGHT ME!

in this thread i've seen the vast majority not really digging diamondback.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Finished the show and it was okay. Misty Knight and Shades were the highlights, plus Cottonmouth (shame he
was killed off not even halfway through)

Luke Cage himself has zero charisma and the multiple attempts at coining his... catchphrase I guess, "Sweet Christmas" was incredibly embarrassing. Mariah was also really poorly acted. Diamondback was okay but a bit too hammy, like he literally stepped out of the 80s.

It was better than Daredevil (which isn't saying much) but Jessica Jones remains the only truly great Marvel Netflix show so far. Hopefully Luke Cage Season 2 is better, because so far he was better off as a side character on Jessica Jones.

Devil

I watched up to ep 7 and haven't read any opinions on the show yet.

Personally, I have really mixed feelings about it up until now. Is it just me who has a "style over substance" feeling? I really love the style of filming, music, talent and swag of the actors.
But the plot has a lot of "Why doesn't he just do xy?" moments and doesn't feel as well thought out as some other Marvel Netflix seasons.
Some of the dialogues also feel a little too forced "black". A little cringeworthy at times, imo.

duckroll

yes but in the bad way :<

cottonmouth > diamondback

Is there really a bad way on this show? I mean I just keep watching it because the villains are just a bunch of hilarious crazy losers. They're really bad at their jobs, and they're up against a hero who is invincible. It's the ultimate comedy.

Rymuth

I'm in Episode 4. Have yet to share my thoughts on the plot and characters --- just to here to say - this series' music is good, damn good.

and they keep shooting him. (kinda of a spoiler but not really=>
council woman once mentioned "why not drown him?' and never followed up on it. just drop him in a pool of water then drop a hair dryer to electrocute him. done. lool

So I don't even know where popular opinion falls on this, or if there even is one, but I am I think 11 episodes in and this is the first time I have felt like one of these Marvel Netflix shows have really dragged for no reason. I know that plenty of other people have had that opinion of the other shows, but this is the first one where I really felt like it meandered a ton in the middle.

Again, maybe I am the only one with this opinion but I really feel like it was a mistake to bring out the
judas/silver bullet/kryptonite plot point and basically null Luke's awesome power set so early in his story.

I would have rather seen that sort of plot point in season 2 after watching him kick a bunch of ninjas asses in random hallways throughout season 1. Honestly. Maybe I am a bad person for just wanting some fun popcorn action but it feels like I saw him bust up like 2-3 gang hideouts before spending a long period bleeding out in various locales.
The last episode picked up quite a bit, so I am just hoping it ends on a strong note here.

I appreciate the amount of attention they are trying to give his backstory, but I just am not enjoying this show as much as I want to. I don't really care that much about how he got his powers I guess and never have. Maybe that problem is on me in that case though as they definitely didn't do a horrible job fleshing it out.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
and they keep shooting him. (kinda of a spoiler but not really=>
council woman once mentioned "why not drown him?' and never followed up on it. just drop him in a pool of water then drop a hair dryer to electrocute him. done. lool

there's a 6' bulletproof dude with immeasurable strength, how are you going to drown him?

devilhawk

Both seasons of Daredevil easily eclipse this, but I'm not sure that JJ does.

I thought Luke and Misti were great, but Diamondback could have been cut and probably for the better. They missed a chance to complete an arch for Mariah that I thought was very well setup.

Is there really a bad way on this show? I mean I just keep watching it because the villains are just a bunch of hilarious crazy losers. They're really bad at their jobs, and they're up against a hero who is invincible. It's the ultimate comedy.

hahah yes

i love that, tbh

they turned that usual dynamic between main char vs villain upside down. in most cases, the villain is overpowered and the main char has to grind or level up to be able to meet the villain at the end game stage

but luke cage. ... XD i always find it hilarious that the bad guys are like >___<;;;; and they donno what do, so they just kept shooting at him (even though it's ineffective) but i really find that aspect of luke cage cute :>

however, yes. there is a bad way. you will see diamondback and you will see how he is badly written :<

still, there's a lot of other characters that picked up the slack in the second half, and i really enjoyed, in particular, some of the women characters who don't need no superpower to matter in the story and they did matter.

diamondback still sucks tho :x

I wonder if it's a cultural thing that makes some people like it more. It would be interesting to see some demographics attatched to those oppinions.

Gorger

Confused by Episode 8:

This has probably been mentioned, but what happens with Claire's friend who was driving the emergency ambulance when it crashed and titled? The friend is never seen and they completely abandon him without even checking up on him seeing if he is alright. I am completely confused by this scene, looks like a huge oversight by the director.

Confused by Episode 8:

This has probably been mentioned, but what happens with Claire's friend who was driving the emergency ambulance when it crashed and titled? The friend is never seen and they completely abandon him without even checking up on him seeing if he is alright. I am completely confused by this scene, looks like a huge oversight by the director.
there was a quick scene just after the ambo crashed and claire asked if he was hurt and he said he was fine and that they should bail because of the dangerous person that had attacked the ambo was still in the area and was after them. but it was a rapid sequence, and i can see how it could have been missed easily.

Takuan

I enjoyed it more than JJ and felt it was more consistent than S2 of Daredevil (although DD S2 had better highs). I do agree that none of the villains ever looked like they had much of a chance against Luke, but I think the point was that they could beat him by gaming the system.

I really liked Shades and felt he was the most interesting of all the villains.
During the elevator scene I was like "NOOO" but then they drew it out so long I knew he was gonna pull through.
Fuck Zip.

Misty Knight gets all the
kttcolinoah
kttcolinoah
kttcolinoah

I felt pretty mediocre about the series as a whole.
Bring da Ruckus
was a nice surprise though.
They censored it tho. Kinda dampened the effect for me, personally.

Top Bottom