• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create: PS5 sales hit 3 million in Japan, ahead of PS3 and PS4

zedinen

1. Media Create: YTD, LTD

jT2Uk8W.jpeg

6ISg1Di.jpeg

2. LTD: Launch Aligned

6WEogeK.jpeg

June, I wonder if it will be the first game to get a console with custom faceplates.
Now that the shortages are almost over there should be room to do these special edition consoles again.
If not FFXVI, spider-man certainly will

I would definitely buy EIKON edition ps5 plates with Amano style Ifrit and Phoenix 🤤

Last edited:
i always heard the Japanese aren't buying consoles because they are too big and couldn't fit in their apartments.
Kind of... It's more like, yeah they prefer smaller, portable hardware. But since there hasn't been a home console launch basically since the PS4 in Japan 9 years ago, they are starved for new hardware. And PS5 is clearly really good hardware, so now that they're able to produce more, there's that latent demand that needs to be satisfied before we see where a new baseline can be established.

nial

If they continue to do those 300k numbers every month, I think there's a good chance for the PS5 to top 6 million sales by the end of this year. FFVII Rebirth following FFXVI will certainly help a lot.

What are the Famitsu's LTD numbers for Series X|S?

IIRC, they are significantly different than these. Anybody has that data?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nice. It's exciting to see a little change of scenery once in a while. Switch still doing well, despite saturation.

Nautilus

The PS5 hit 1 million units in Japan faster than the PS4, but then fell behind, and now has overtaken it again. Would you like to venture a guess what may have happened in the last couple of years to cause it to fall behind?
And? Passing the PS3 and PS4 launch alligned isn't something to be that proud about(just 3 million while your competition was around 10 - 12 million in the same timeframe), on top of simply having Abysmal software sales, which puts into question how many PS5 are staying on Japan.

Plus, the recent well performance is exactly because of the reason of the stuff you implied: Repressed demand. Once that demand is satisfied, it begs the question: What is the PS5's true demand? I guess only time will tell.

I think the ps5 will have good legs in Japan, it's graphics are not being challenged by Nintendo and PC gaming is still niche, also the console runs way quieter than previous generations.

The results are good, honestly, in the sense that it gives Sony a valid reason to keep investing over there. Having said that, they need a slimmer version of the console asap.

vivftp

And? Passing the PS3 and PS4 launch alligned isn't something to be that proud about(just 3 million while your competition was around 10 - 12 million in the same timeframe), on top of simply having Abysmal software sales, which puts into question how many PS5 are staying on Japan.

Plus, the recent well performance is exactly because of the reason of the stuff you implied: Repressed demand. Once that demand is satisfied, it begs the question: What is the PS5's true demand? I guess only time will tell.

And the PS5 started off hot out the gate and got immediately kneecapped by supply shortages. They're finally over those shortages and have begun to make up ground by catching up to and passing their last 2 home consoles in the region. That's a noteworthy data point and that's what's being discussed here. It's especially noteworthy given the narrative that's been spread over the last while that PlayStation is no longer relevant in Japan. They don't need to surpass the Switch to be relevant. By selling faster than the PS4 and PS3 it shows us that they're trending upwards versus their last 2 models. We'll have to wait and see how they do against the PS1 and PS2.

Indeed, time will tell how things go as we're still at the very beginning of their renewed push and we can only guess how far they'll go.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And the PS5 started off hot out the gate and got immediately kneecapped by supply shortages. They're finally over those shortages and have begun to make up ground by catching up to and passing their last 2 home consoles in the region. That's a noteworthy data point and that's what's being discussed here. It's especially noteworthy given the narrative that's been spread over the last while that PlayStation is no longer relevant in Japan. They don't need to surpass the Switch to be relevant. By selling faster than the PS4 and PS3 it shows us that they're trending upwards versus their last 2 models. We'll have to wait and see how they do against the PS1 and PS2.

Indeed, time will tell how things go as we're still at the very beginning of their renewed push and we can only guess how far they'll go.
Anyone downplaying the fact that a global pandemic happened isn't worth arguing with.

Stock is finally better, amazing results since basically late last year...and its meh to some ppl. lol

Kerotan

According to some sales age clowns on other sites the PlayStation home console was on terminal decline last Gen. Despite the fact ps4 outsold the ps3 for much of it's Gen and only fell behind in the end because it didn't get one final price drop or adequate supply.

Now have the ps5 and it's proven after the massive decline ps3 suffered Vs ps2 the market has stabilized. Not only that but the ps4 and 5 in Japan are making Sony so much more mullah compared to ps3 which was losing profits.

Good times ahead!

leo-j

According to some sales age clowns on other sites the PlayStation home console was on terminal decline last Gen. Despite the fact ps4 outsold the ps3 for much of it's Gen and only fell behind in the end because it didn't get one final price drop or adequate supply.

Now have the ps5 and it's proven after the massive decline ps3 suffered Vs ps2 the market has stabilized. Not only that but the ps4 and 5 in Japan are making Sony so much more mullah compared to ps3 which was losing profits.

Good times ahead!
Sony slowing down ps4 was very detrimental….. it’s clear there is demand as it’s selling thousands in year 10 in Japan, hopefully ps5 sales continue to do crazy numbers and it cruises past 10 million in Japan for the generation, PlayStation needs a resurrection post psp/ps3.

TLZ

i always heard the Japanese aren't buying consoles because they are too big and couldn't fit in their apartments.

Yeah, thats why the series s is doing do well in japan, they fit in their tiny little capsule apartments

The PS4 sold 9m in Japan.
That is a lot of consoles for country with small apartments.

surprising, taking into account that it takes 40% of the space in most Japanese homes.
They opted to live inside them now.

9dc978119390725.609c50677029a.jpg

Eddie-Griffin

Cancer the womens baby so we can pregnant the panda, we are looking for igloos tonight Are you sexy?
EXCUSE ME, But I recall a leak from a professional expert in mathematics here on this very forum that suggested, after measuring 400% of the circumference of a triangle divided by the square root of 7, that the PS5 was shrinking at an alarming rate that should cause panic, and was falling behind PS4???

Was it not 100% confirmed on the invisible charts they posted? Who does Media Create think he is?

Top Bottom