• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create: PS5 sales hit 3 million in Japan, ahead of PS3 and PS4

John Wick

Japan barely had a PS5 to sell because Sony wasn't even properly sending stock there. Yes, everyone was having trouble manufacturing.But I'm sorry, the PS5 had some weeks that it barely sold 2k, and considering the sales trajectory the PS5 had worldwide, it was not because they couldn't produce 10k more for Japan, and more because Sony ignored Japan until they couldn't sell *instantly* the stock they sent elsewhere(mostly US and Europe).

And while I do favor Nintendo, I'm also a Sony fan, thank you very much.
Stop spouting rubbish. Nintendo never had the supply shortages anywhere near what Sony and MS have faced. Nintendo weren't in competition with phone manufacturers for 7nm node. You need to take those biased glasses off.

SkylineRKR

With the PS2 Japan didn't have a problem with buying a console. It since the PS3 that it all went to shit over there. And there isn't even a Nintendo console anymore either, the Switch mostly catches on because its handheld utility. So the home console market in Japan has to be relatively small.

Airbus Jr

Litigate my emotions, daddy!
Seriously impressive. They still have a lot of work to do to catch PS2's numbers (23.18 million), but they can actually get within Super Famicom's 16.4 million, I feel. They should have no problem outdoing PS4 or even PS3 Japan lifetime sales.

A particular boon for PS5 would be if the Switch 2 doesn't light the Japanese market up quite as much as the first one did. Which I wouldn't say has a good probability of happening, but there is a non-zero chance that could end up being the case. If so, that gives quite a lot of breathing room for PS5 to expand in the market, especially if Sony were to somehow find a way to make a portable or slim laptop-sized PS5 later in the generation specifically for markets like Japan.

I think them doing that would be a neat idea anyway, if it's technically possible, but at least given the trajectory right now they should be able to get between PS3 and Super Famicom Japan #s, leaning closer to the latter (something around 12 - 14 million lifetime).
You also have to remember that PS2 were sold at $299 and PS5 at $499

PS5 are a more luxurious product compared to PS2

Cheaper systems sold more

Last edited:

Nautilus

Stop spouting rubbish. Nintendo never had the supply shortages anywhere near what Sony and MS have faced. Nintendo weren't in competition with phone manufacturers for 7nm node. You need to take those biased glasses off.
There is no bias here, just the truth. That "competition" and severe supply shortages didn't stop the PS5 to break record and outpace the sales of PS4 worldwide. So much so that the PS5 already sits at around 30 million worldwide in about 2 years, but somehow Sony could only send 10k PS5 every week, because of "reasons". So while supply constrained, its not like they were making few consoles. Nintendo had similar issues but Japan never had an issue as bad as PS5 had of being sent basically nothing, because Nintendo values the japanese market.

So what happened? Simple: Whatever production Sony had, it was sent elsewhere, because they don't care about Japan. Now that elsewhere is well stocked, the countries that they deem secondary or terciary can be sent stock to.

That's just the raw truth. If you wish to see it or not, that's your problem. But I'll be here regardless discussing these stuff, because I find it engaging. Anyway, let's see for how much longer can Sony sustain this momentum, which is clearly being lead by 2 years worth of surpressed demand.

Tsaki

Not as much as they are (possibly) overtracking Xbox Series X|S. Xbox S|X is 225K (Media Create) vs. 429K (Famitsu)
429k as of Feb 20-26 week, so basically 2x higher

So I'm not at all well versed in the Media Create/Famitsu entities. Are they like the NPD Group for the US? And why are their numbers so divergent? Such a big gap means that one of them is dead wrong about their numbers, so why are they even brought up as a sales authority? Also, why would you give more credence to the MC number and not Famitsu regarding the Xbox sales? I'm genuinely curious.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
SE has a bunch of system sellers for the next few years at least: XVI, FFVIIR-2, KH4, DQXII, and FFVIIR-3.

Do you ever make posts that don't mention Jim Ryan
not a crime to worship a great person

So I'm not at all well versed in the Media Create/Famitsu entities. Are they like the NPD Group for the US? And why are their numbers so divergent? Such a big gap means that one of them is dead wrong about their numbers, so why are they even brought up as a sales authority? Also, why would you give more credence to the MC number and not Famitsu regarding the Xbox sales? I'm genuinely curious.
They are like NPD of Japan, yes.

Famitsu and Media Create both track console sales. And not sure why there is such a gap between the two estimates.

At the moment, I'm not giving more credence to MC than Famitsu, which is why I used the word "possibly". But the general consensus is that MC is more reputable and credible than Famitsu.

Tsaki

Famitsu and Media Create both track console sales. And not sure why there is such a gap between the two estimates.

At the moment, I'm not giving more credence to MC than Famitsu, which is why I used the word "possibly". But the general consensus is that MC is more reputable and credible than Famitsu.
Thanks! I guess when we get Sony's official numbers in their next report (we won't get Microsoft's as per usual), we can dismiss one of the two entities, because a gap of 100% is unacceptable in my opinion. Hell, even a 30% gap would put them into question.

John Wick

There is no bias here, just the truth. That "competition" and severe supply shortages didn't stop the PS5 to break record and outpace the sales of PS4 worldwide. So much so that the PS5 already sits at around 30 million worldwide in about 2 years, but somehow Sony could only send 10k PS5 every week, because of "reasons". So while supply constrained, its not like they were making few consoles. Nintendo had similar issues but Japan never had an issue as bad as PS5 had of being sent basically nothing, because Nintendo values the japanese market.

So what happened? Simple: Whatever production Sony had, it was sent elsewhere, because they don't care about Japan. Now that elsewhere is well stocked, the countries that they deem secondary or terciary can be sent stock to.

That's just the raw truth. If you wish to see it or not, that's your problem. But I'll be here regardless discussing these stuff, because I find it engaging. Anyway, let's see for how much longer can Sony sustain this momentum, which is clearly being lead by 2 years worth of surpressed demand.
You mest be severely limited? So what your saying is there was no stock shortage but Sony refused to send stock to Japan and instead diverted it to the US and Europe? So how come you could never walk into a store in the US or Europe and walk out with a PS5?
Clearly your deluded because Sony could have sold 20 million+ PS5’s every year if they could manufacture them. Instead of 30 million they would now be on 40-45 million easy.

Nautilus

You mest be severely limited? So what your saying is there was no stock shortage but Sony refused to send stock to Japan and instead diverted it to the US and Europe? So how come you could never walk into a store in the US or Europe and walk out with a PS5?
Clearly your deluded because Sony could have sold 20 million+ PS5’s every year if they could manufacture them. Instead of 30 million they would now be on 40-45 million easy.
Yes? Both can be true. There WERE supplies issues, but instead of supplying more equally between all regions, Sony chose to let the situations in certain parts of the world(like Japan) be more severe so that other parts of the world be less severe(US, Europe). Doesn't mean that demand was fully met in regions that had better supply, just less bad.

But in turn,places like Japan suffered worse, because it was seen as less of a priority. I mean, sales just proves that. You don't break sales record worldwide, but is "unable" to ship more than 10k to the second BIGGEST market for videogames in the world.

I feel like culturally it has no resonance. There isn't a piece of software that defines it yet.

Home consoles are no longer viable in Japan...It is about mobile and portable platforms now; There is nothing Sony can do to change the consumption pattern.

zedinen

Famitsu : LTD (Launch Aligned)

V969cSU.jpeg

Famitsu : (Week 102 - 121)

wIwUEFj.jpeg

TLZ

Yes? Both can be true. There WERE supplies issues, but instead of supplying more equally between all regions, Sony chose to let the situations in certain parts of the world(like Japan) be more severe so that other parts of the world be less severe(US, Europe). Doesn't mean that demand was fully met in regions that had better supply, just less bad.

But in turn,places like Japan suffered worse, because it was seen as less of a priority. I mean, sales just proves that. You don't break sales record worldwide, but is "unable" to ship more than 10k to the second BIGGEST market for videogames in the world.
I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here in all honesty. Your main post was that it took them so long to get to this number compared to Switch, which was also supply constrained according to you, to which I responded both weren't the same cases.

But then your point now is that Sony deprived Japan of PS5s to satiate other supply constrained territories. You said it yourself. That proves to you they were heavily supply constrained globally. So they had to sacrifice some territories, and that still was nowhere near enough. If they weren't constrained they wouldn't have to do that.

So are you just mad at Sony for having deprived Japan?

Last edited:

Nautilus

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here in all honesty. Your main post was that it took them so long to get to this number compared to Switch, which was also supply constrained according to you, to which I responded both weren't the same cases.

But then your point now is that Sony deprived Japan of PS5s to satiate other supply constrained territories. You said it yourself. That proves to you they were heavily supply constrained globally. So they had to sacrifice some territories, and that still was nowhere near enough. If they weren't constrained they wouldn't have to do that.

So are you just mad at Sony for having deprived Japan?
That's what I have been saying all along...

I don't know what you want me to to tell you. And no, I'm not mad, I'm just explaining that hardware sales so far have been terrible because Sony has been ignoring Japan, not just because of supply constrains as many delusional people wanted us to believe was the case.

These last 4 months(give or take) sales have been the surpressed demand that Sony caused by ignoring Japan, not the "organic" demand, for a lack of a better word, that the PS5 has.

Tripolygon

I don't know what you want me to to tell you. And no, I'm not mad, I'm just explaining that hardware sales so far have been terrible because Sony has been ignoring Japan, not just because of supply constrains as many delusional people wanted us to believe was the case.

These last 4 months(give or take) sales have been the surpressed demand that Sony caused by ignoring Japan, not the "organic" demand, for a lack of a better word, that the PS5 has.
They were supply constrained, so they focused on other markets. They are now supplying Japan more as they switched to another node and producing more PS5, the sales in many territories which were supplied constrained grew up to 200%. Japan being one of those territories because they have fixed their supply issues as of now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If they continue to do those 300k numbers every month, I think there's a good chance for the PS5 to top 6 million sales by the end of this year. FFVII Rebirth following FFXVI will certainly help a lot.

Has anybody considered what happens if the only PS5 console that's on sale later this year is the disc-less version, but with the external disc drive for sale for $99. That would make the default PS5 $399 for everyone worldwide. I'd think this would increase sales in a real way.

Kokoloko85

What GAF read: "Sony redeemed"
What I read: "slightly ahead from two console which sold poorly in Japan"

PS3 didnt really sell poorly in Japan. Maybe compared to PS2.
It was like 2 million units behind Wii in Japan, which is Nintendo’s best selling console and was a 3rd of the price. Even Grandma’s had it.

Generally, they are. People have to pay for MC data, whereas Famitsu's is free.

Not saying that automatically means MC is more credible, but Famitsu's the one who's had to adjust their numbers, not Media Create's. That speaks a lot.

You also have to remember that PS2 were sold at $299 and PS5 at $499

PS5 are a more luxurious product compared to PS2

Cheaper systems sold more

True. That's a big help for why PS2 did its 23 million in Japan. Also I think PS3's soft launch helped sell more PS2's, FWIW.

I think what some have an issue with is that, at least given your wording in other posts, you may be implying the "organic" demand is significantly lower than the "boosted" demand (think that works better describing it).

If PS5 is doing 80K - 90K in "boosted demand", what do you think the "organic" demand level is?

Last edited:
Top Bottom