• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/1 - 10/7 2007

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Miniboss1232 said:
I'd say the PS3 hasn't been that platform either, so for the moment there's no good place for third parties to go, unless they just rely on userbase. Which the Wii still leads in.

OR they could put high profile stuff on DS.....which they've already started to do.

Chumly

Im guessing that Nintendo is going to finish off the year pretty strong along with early next year.

November we have SMG to help with sales

December you have Wii Fit in addition to the christmas bump

January you have Brawl

Nintendo should be doing fine

AniHawk

I think third parties fucked up, and that Nintendo didn't do enough to get them on board. I think it's possible Nintendo believed third parties would see the DS's success and expected they'd just jump on board.

Anyway, I think most third parties are switching over to handhelds anyway. I thought the Wii would perform similarly, but I guess it won't (at least in Japan).

tanod

when is my burrito
Did the PS3 price drop happen in Japan this week (and I mean "this" week, not this MC week)?

It wouldn't make much sense to announce a price drop for a month from now and wait for the new hardware to drop it.

AniHawk said:
I think third parties fucked up, and that Nintendo didn't do enough to get them on board. I think it's possible Nintendo believed third parties would see the DS's success and expected they'd just jump on board.

Anyway, I think most third parties are switching over to handhelds anyway. I thought the Wii would perform similarly, but I guess it won't (at least in Japan).

Well the Wii could never hope to do DS numbers, I mean everyone in a household might want their own DS but why would a household need more than one Wii?

It should still be doing better than it is, especially with third party games. I guess the MH3 announcement is signs of things to come though.

ccbfan

At this point, I'd hate to be in third party's shoes.

Their old money tree playstation systems are near dead.

Now they're back in Nintendo's rule which while the demise of third party games on Nintendo system are often over-exaggerated. No Nintendo system has ever been as kind to third parties as PS1 and PS2 and it not even close. Strangely the 360 seems to the heir to the playstation 3rd party sales dominance (as seen with its ridicules attach rate and the fact that both Fifa and Madden sold by far the best on the 360 among the 3 system). Sadly this does nothing for Japanese third parties for 360 is dead in Japan.

Seriously where do you go? Do you try to milk as much on the PS2 as possible or do you take a blind leap of faith and hope the Wii's 3rd party software doesn't continue to sell like crap. I mean there advantages and disadvantages to each.

If you stay on the PS2, you guarantee at least short term success but if the Wii's traditional gaming does pick up then you're really behind the 8 ball.

On the other hand if you support Wii and sales are way under expectations you take major lose and if console gaming is dead in Japan then you are in real big trouble. But if Wii rebounds and start commanding PS2 rate 3rd party sales then the company is way behind.

Tough decisions. Thankfully they have DS to fall back on and from the looks of how Japan is going, a lot of third party are playing this wild card. Square-Enix is a clear example. All big games on portables,with the exception of a big game trying to grab the western audience of the 360. The PS3 projects have been missing in action for quite a while and all looks like at least 2009 releases. Tough times.

biocat

Innotech said:
ASH didnt seem to have much marketing.
Does Japan buy anything anymore that isnt DQ, FF or MH?

Living in Tokyo and watching Japanese TV, I've seen commercials for ASH close to a dozen times already. I think it was marketed pretty well.

schuelma

AniHawk said:

Well, the DS didn't start off as hot as the Wii did initially right?

I still think its up in the air. If Wii sales after Galaxy, Wii Fit, and Brawl are consistently solid and 3rd party games like RE:UC and NiGHTS do well, I think Wii will be fine.

schuelma

biocat said:
Living in Tokyo and watching Japanese TV, I've seen commercials for ASH close to a dozen times already. I think it was marketed pretty well.

What's your opinion on the Wii downturn? Is it temporary until Galaxy/Wii Fit/Smash hits, or is there real sign of concern?

Jcgamer60

ccbfan said:
At this point, I'd hate to be in third party's shoes.

Their old money tree playstation systems are near dead.

Now they're back in Nintendo's rule which while the demise of third party games on Nintendo system are often over-exaggerated. No Nintendo system has ever been as kind to third parties as PS1 and PS2 and it not even close. Strangely the 360 seems to the heir to the playstation 3rd party sales dominance (as seen with its ridicules attach rate and the fact that both Fifa and Madden sold by far the best on the 360 among the 3 system). Sadly this does nothing for Japanese third parties for 360 is dead in Japan.

Seriously where do you go? Do you try to milk as much on the PS2 as possible or do you take a blind leap of faith and hope the Wii's 3rd party software doesn't continue to sell like crap. I mean there advantages and disadvantages to each.

If you stay on the PS2, you guarantee at least short term success but if the Wii's traditional gaming does pick up then you're really behind the 8 ball.

On the other hand if you support Wii and sales are way under expectations you take major lose and if console gaming is dead in Japan then you are in real big trouble. But if Wii rebounds and start commanding PS2 rate 3rd party sales then the company is way behind.

Tough decisions. Thankfully they have DS to fall back on and from the looks of how Japan is going, a lot of third party are playing this wild card. Square-Enix is a clear example. All big games on portables,with the exception of a big game trying to grab the western audience of the 360. The PS3 projects have been missing in action for quite a while and all looks like at least 2009 releases. Tough times.

Most informative, well written post yet.

tanod

when is my burrito
Seeing where hardware sales are now, introducing the PSP was seriously the smartest thing that Sony has ever done. They'd be almost completely irrelevant in Japan at this point without it.

donny2112

Going by NPD weeks to determine months ...

1. This is the lowest month for the DS since the introduction of the DS Lite.
2. This month is higher than every non-December month for the DS before the introduction of the DS Lite.
3. This is the highest month for PSP ever. It even bests the previous three Decembers for the PSP.
4. This is the first month that the PSP has outsold the DS since the DS's first Easter.

PSPvsDSMonthly.png

JPNConsole_Monthly.png

biocat

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Are they counting all the PSPs together instead of splitting up the PSP slim and PSPs like they do with the DS and DSL?

I'm really not happy with the DS's new 70k to 80k selling rate. It's been above 100k for so long, this just seems wrong.

Hopefully the PSP will bottom out higher than 50k so all can see the superiority of handhelds over the stationary consoles.

I've been walking around Tokyo game stores a lot lately and the DS areas have been seriously quiet lately. PSP is more often than not sold out, but the DS seems to have lost its spotlight and are sitting packed high in used game shops. I used to see a few DS systems being played most anytime I got on a busy train, but nowadays I at times see more PSPs and only older women and men playing the DS. I was talking to a high school student the other day and he was actually ashamed he had a DS and not a PSP. Of course it's only one kid, and in the market share where the PSP is really going strong, but it somewhat telling of the current atmosphere.

My theory is that the DS trend is starting to die out in Tokyo but may still be going strong in other areas of Japan. Trends tend to swell and fade in Tokyo before they can even fully take hold in other regions. I'm not saying that means it will totally fail, but just that maybe its days as the stand-out king are beginning to end.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Jcgamer60 said:
Anyone have the numbers for Monster Hunter sales on ps2?

Totals in Japan for the three PS2's Monster Hunter games (Famitsu numbers from Moor's website) are at

(Monster Hunter: 288,559; Monster Hunter G: 232,239; Monster Hunter II:576,510)

Jcgamer60

biocat said:
I've been walking around Tokyo game stores a lot lately and the DS areas have been seriously quiet lately. PSP is more often than not sold out, but the DS seems to have lost its spotlight and are sitting packed high in used game shops. I used to see a few DS systems being played most anytime I got on a busy train, but nowadays I at times see more PSPs and only older women and men playing the DS. I was talking to a high school student the other day and he was actually ashamed he had a DS and not a PSP. Of course it's only one kid, and in the market share where the PSP is really going strong, but it somewhat telling of the current atmosphere.

My theory is that the DS trend is starting to die out in Tokyo but may still be going strong in other areas of Japan. Trends tend to swell and fade in Tokyo before they can even fully take hold in other regions. I'm not saying that means it will totally fail, but just that maybe its days as the stand-out king are beginning to end.

Dragon Quest will make DS "cool" again.

biocat

schuelma said:
What's your opinion on the Wii downturn? Is it temporary until Galaxy/Wii Fit/Smash hits, or is there real sign of concern?

I would say it's just temporary, but the days of it being a super seller are perhaps over. People are starting to realize what the waggle controls entail.

Hanging out in one game store the other day I heard people seriously bash the Wii version of the newest Dragonball Z game for its controls and then go on to purchase the PS2 version.

schuelma

biocat said:

Edit- nevermind, asked and answered.

Jcgamer60

Dash Kappei said:
Totals in Japan for the three PS2's Monster Hunter games (Famitsu numbers from Moor's website) are at

Thanks!

Monster Hunter 2 sold pretty well, not as much as the PSP one though. I think it should do alright on Wii.

biocat said:
I would say it's just temporary, but the days of it being a super seller are perhaps over. People are starting to realize what the waggle controls entail.

Hanging out in one game store the other day I heard people seriously bash the Wii version of the newest Dragonball Z game for its controls and then go on to purchase the PS2 version.
Show them MP3 when its out!

Gaborn

donny2112 said:

Yep, Wii looks totally doomed with this graph. I mean, you can just SEE how Wii is the only one that has any substantial drops, right? Right? and I mean, it's obvious that the PS3 is ready to break out right NOW. Nintendo should just give up and go third party, the PS3's era of domination is about to begin. Or not.

Tiktaalik

Weak sales for ASH. Especially considering that it's published by Nintendo. You'd think that logo would have some effect on sales.

schuelma

Gaborn said:
Yep, Wii looks totally doomed with this graph. I mean, you can just SEE how Wii is the only one that has any substantial drops, right? Right? and I mean, it's obvious that the PS3 is ready to break out right NOW. Nintendo should just give up and go third party, the PS3's era of domination is about to begin. Or not.

I don't think anyone is saying Wii is doomed, just that its in reality competing with the DS to some extent...and right now isn't giving 3rd parties much incentive to choose Wii over DS/PSP/PS2.

biocat

Dash Kappei said:

The portable versions are where it's at. I had high school students ditch class for the day MHP2 was released. The last home version, Monster Hunter II, had a small fraction of the hype.

Mashing

How does Nintendo get people to buy 3rd party games? The only thing I can think of is that they must start making the games that 3rd parties generally make to jump start a fanbase for those types of games. I really don't know how they can fix this conundrum that they've always had. I guess there really is some truth in the opinion that 3rd parties just can't compete with Nintendo's games. As a Nintendo gamer (first), I'm always open to 3rd party efforts. I also don't shy away from other consoles, but I'm guessing that I (like most of us here) are in the minority.

So basically Nintendo is damned if you do, damned if you don't regarding 3rd parties.

schuelma

The Faceless Master said:
a statistical dead heat!!!

Automatic recount.

Will take weeks to complete.

A nation waits with baited breath.

Gaborn

schuelma said:
I don't think anyone is saying Wii is doomed, just that its in reality competing with the DS to some extent...and right now isn't giving 3rd parties much incentive to choose Wii over DS/PSP/PS2.

I'm not so sure about that. I think Nintendo's smart enough that this year they're going to start stressing connectivity between the DS and the Wii, that was their intent in the beginning anyway. Remember too that the Wii since it is a console is inherently going to cater to a slightly different market to hand helds.

Mashing said:
How does Nintendo get people to buy 3rd party games? The only thing I can think of is that they must start making the games that 3rd parties generally make to jump start a fanbase for those types of games. I really don't know how they can fix this conundrum that they've always had. I guess there really is some truth in the opinion that 3rd parties just can't compete with Nintendo's games. As a Nintendo gamer (first), I'm always open to 3rd party efforts. I also don't shy away from other consoles, but I'm guessing that I (like most of us here) are in the minority.

So basically Nintendo is damned if you do, damned if you don't regarding 3rd parties.
I don't believe that, look at the SNES days. 3rd parties made some excellent games and it payed off for them. 3rd parties need to do this again, make a good game and put in the effort/money/dev skills to make it happen. Nintendo games will almost always sell more, it is a Nintendo console after all, but there is plenty of room for 3rd party. About 50% on the DS, don't know about Wii.

I also think that Nintendo is doing a good job of 1st party game pacing, they're only sending out a couple of games a month (Ya, I know it's bad for us gamers). They're also releasing games like WiiFit to expand the audience. The spreading out of 1st party games, like they just did with SSBB, and releasing nongames like WiiFit is giving 3rd parties room to sell their games and not compete with Nintendo. So far, 3rd parties are still a little scared, but they will probably come to Nintendo eventually.

Zynx

Gaborn said:
Well, before DS and (early) Wii domination, consoles slowed down after launch and then set a pace from there. Instead of seeing the Wii as slowing down from 'normal levels' to suboptimal, I see it in that the post-launch period is finally over. Does anyone even remember weekly hardware sales pre-DS? They were totally different. (And the threads were 100 times shorter, too.)
OliveJuice said:
I don't believe that, look at the SNES days. 3rd parties made some excellent games and it payed off for them. 3rd parties need to do this again, make a good game and put in the effort/money/dev skills to make it happen. Nintendo games will almost always sell more, it is a Nintendo console after all, but there is plenty of room for 3rd party. About 50% on the DS, don't know about Wii.
Yep - there's not much in great 3rd party sales because 3rd parties haven't brought their 'A' game/blockbusters to the table.

Mashing

Well, another thought is that Nintendo is currently making money hand over fist so perhaps they could give 3rd parties incentives? Free/reduced licensing costs, more involved development support. Perhaps they could hold training classes for interested 3rd parties? Have EAD Tokyo staff show 3rd parties how it's done. Or they can just fund some 3rd party games to kick start 3rd party Wii efforts? Perhaps Nintendo could help market 3rd party exclusive games (because a 3rd party game is almost never going to steal from Nintendo's game sales). In effort, go out of their way to get the 3rd parties on the fence to commit and commit fully (not halfassed efforts we've seen thusfar for the most part). Once the 3rd party games start selling then they can scale back some and let the ball roll down hill so to speak.

I dunno, that's probably all absurd from a business perspective, it's just a thought.

Gaborn

Zynx said:
Well, before DS and (early) Wii domination, consoles slowed down after launch and then set a pace from there. Instead of seeing the Wii as slowing down from 'normal levels' to suboptimal, I see it in that the post-launch period is finally over. Does anyone even remember weekly hardware sales pre-DS? They were totally different. (And the threads were 100 times shorter, too.)

Yep - there's not much in great 3rd party sales because 3rd parties haven't brought their 'A' game/blockbusters to the table.

Well, I think it's way too early to tell, but I still think in reality that either way we're just in a natural pre holiday lull, all consoles are in a slump right now (except the PSP for obvious reasons). I don't think the Wii has settled at this new level around 20-25k, I think it's just here till the holidays and then it'll resettle (eventually) at a different level. As soon as Galaxy hits of course all bets are off.

Lucky

Lobster said:
Nintendo not bothering maybe?
That makes NO sense!

Looks like the J release is typically 3 to 6 months after NA release. How interesting. Hopefully it will provide a boost in Q1.

Satter

Banned
Jasoncheng said:
MediaCreate-Ranking
http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

DSL 87,445
PSP 86,895
Wii 20,704
PS3 10,822
PS2 10,446
Xbox360 1,547
GBASP 195
GC 109
DS 90
GBM 47
GBA 0

TOP50
NDS:23
PS2:10
Wii:7
PSP:6
PS3:3
XBOX360:1

Seems to me that the PSP surge might be over while DSL sales have remained constant or even picked up a little. Console sales seem to have stablized as well.

ethelred

AniHawk said:

Third parties fucked up software-wise, but Nintendo massively fucked up here, too (and not just in failing to push and prod and pay out for more strong third party support out of the gate). I'll be frank, all the problems the Wii is seeing right now are Nintendo's fault.

The company essentially ceased GameCube development in late 2004 to mid 2005, and from the moment the Wii was unveiled Iwata and his cronies were hyping up its potential for easier, quicker development due to the similarity (lol) architecturally to the GameCube. They had well over a year with which to devote their vast first and second party dev resources (not to mention using some of the cha-ching to fund some outside stuff) in order to prepare for the Wii's launch... but in the end, they had practically zilch to show for that.

Now another year has passed (meaning it's now been three years since the GameCube was killed off) and... what? We've gotten Mario Party, Mario Strikers, and the just-announced Mario Baseball, and precious little else. They could have, and should have had a pretty damned impressive lineup of games over the past year and a fairly hefty lineup ready to go for 2008, but it hasn't been the case at all. It's been a pretty pathetic performance all around.

AniHawk said:
Anyway, I think most third parties are switching over to handhelds anyway.

Really? It doesn't seem that way at all. Certainly not when looking at Konami, Sega, Atlus, or Capcom. A thin case could be made for Square Enix and Namco Bandai, but that's about it as far as the big publishers go.

kamikaze

Lucky said:
That makes NO sense!

Looks like the J release is typically 3 to 6 months after NA release. How interesting. Hopefully it will provide a boost in Q1.

i was under the impression that metroid was never that big in japan (relative to the u.s.) so i'm not surprised by such a big delay in release dates...wouldn't expect anything special sales wise.

i'm sure someone on the sales-age team can confirm (or deny) this.

ethelred

kamikaze said:
i was under the impression that metroid was never that big in japan (relative to the u.s.) so i'm not surprised by such a big delay in release dates...wouldn't expect anything special sales wise.

i'm sure someone on the sales-age team can confirm (or deny) this.

Metroid was big in Japan. FPSroid is not.

EDarkness

biocat said:

I haven't heard any "bashing" yet, but I do get the impression that these crappy ports with uninspired controls are starting to get on people's nerves here in Japan. There hasn't been much in the way of innovative controls or fresh games. Rehashes of old games and PS2 ports are all over and some people are like they are in the States where they would rather have the old controls and move forward.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out, but I also think this is just temporary. As more big games come out, then we'll see things pick up. At least that's my opinion.

ethelred said:
Metroid was big in Japan. FPSroid is not.

Speaking of classic Metroid, it's baffling to me that Nintendo hasn't made a new 2D metroid for any console since Super Metroid. I don't know a better way to kill a successful franchise in Japan by making it an FPS,
other than putting it on the PS3.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
BishopLamont said:
Speaking of classic Metroid, it's baffling to me that Nintendo hasn't made a new 2D metroid for any console since Super Metroid. I don't know a better way to kill a successful franchise in Japan by making it an FPS,
other than putting it on the 360.
Fixed. PS3 hasn't killed any franchises yet, actually Bandai-Namco has had more success on the PS3 than Wii. I'm sure Koei will as well.

AniHawk

ethelred said:
Third parties fucked up software-wise, but Nintendo massively fucked up here, too (and not just in failing to push and prod and pay out for more strong third party support out of the gate). I'll be frank, all the problems the Wii is seeing right now are Nintendo's fault.

The company essentially ceased GameCube development in late 2004 to mid 2005, and from the moment the Wii was unveiled Iwata and his cronies were hyping up its potential for easier, quicker development due to the similarity (lol) architecturally to the GameCube. They had well over a year with which to devote their vast first and second party dev resources (not to mention using some of the cha-ching to fund some outside stuff) in order to prepare for the Wii's launch... but in the end, they had practically zilch to show for that.

Now another year has passed (meaning it's now been three years since the GameCube was killed off) and... what? We've gotten Mario Party, Mario Strikers, and the just-announced Mario Baseball, and precious little else. They could have, and should have had a pretty damned impressive lineup of games over the past year and a fairly hefty lineup ready to go for 2008, but it hasn't been the case at all. It's been a pretty pathetic performance all around.

That's also true. 2008 is wildly unknown for anyone, but Nintendo's fallen way back into that Mario extravaganza shit. We'll probably see Tennis and Golf come back as well as Animal Crossing and Pikmin and all the safe bets. Music and Fit will probably wind up being the big new IPs.

I voiced a little disappointment and worry a couple months ago when the Wii began taking off, and I wasn't joking around. It's pretty much a continuation of the GC's life (except EAD's now back in form), and it looked like everyone was caught with their pants down.

Really? It doesn't seem that way at all. Certainly not when looking at Konami, Sega, Atlus, or Capcom. A thin case could be made for Square Enix and Namco Bandai, but that's about it as far as the big publishers go.

I'm just looking at release lists. The DS is the biggest surefire bet for a nice little profit now the PS2 is fading away, and if you're a third party, there's a chance your big 3D game might get some good sales on the PSP too.

ethelred

jj984jj said:
Fixed. PS3 hasn't killed any franchises yet, actually Bandai-Namco has had more success on the PS3 than Wii. I'm sure Koei will as well.

Koei already has. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI (Wii Version) and Katana Musou both bombed horribly, whereas Bladestorm did quite well.

AniHawk said:
I'm just looking at release lists. The DS is the biggest surefire bet for a nice little profit now the PS2 is fading away, and if you're a third party, there's a chance your big 3D game might get some good sales on the PSP too.

Well, that was my point. Most of the third parties aren't releasing particularly big games on handhelds right now. Square Enix is (DQ9/Crisis Core/KH/DQ remakes/FF remakes), and Namco Bandai is (Tales series). Konami's got... well, I guess Portable Ops counts, but that's it; nothing especially big on the DS at all. Koei has nothing big. Atlus just has EO. Tecmo has one notable handheld game. Capcom just has the continuation of the GS series, really low budget/outsourced MegaMan shit, and some ports. There's not a whole lot handheld-wise from Sega. That's all there is.

Most of the third parties haven't made a big shift to handhelds.

Lobster

Banned
jj984jj said:

What has Namco released on the Wii?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
Koei already has. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI (Wii Version) and Katana Musou both bombed horribly, whereas Bladestorm did quite well.
Yeah, and SM5 will undoubtedly do well. I'm interested in how Opoona does though, I've seen a lot of interest in it on 2ch, not sure if it'll translate to success. :lol

Lobster said:
What has Namco released on the Wii?
Bandai-Namco is one company dude, didn't you get the memo?

Top Bottom