• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

Already been said a few times, but loosus, when I talk about legs, I look at raw numbers, not rank orders. Seeing as how one means something, and the other means very little. SMG has stayed at the same level for three weeks in a row now, and Mario & Sonic's 2nd week drop is quite small compared to most games. That would be "legs".

cvxfreak

CoolS said:
It actually was but I don't think that's the single reason y the PS2 version sells better ...

The game was an expanded version of the original Basara 2 and such caters to fans of the original version which was on PS2. Therefore there will be less fans on the Wii and thus it sells considerably less.

gconsole

creamsugar said:
Others
12.WE2008 PS3 31000(176000)
14.Wii Sports 27000(2162000)
15.Wii Play 26000(1707000)
18.Musou5 PS3 15000(295000)
19.がんばる私の家計ダイアリー (DS) 14000(310000)
21.REUC 13000(147000)
22.Mario Kart DS 13000(2566000)
24.Layton1 12000(696000)
26.Pokemon dungeon  12000(1076000)
27.MHP2 11000(1387000)

New Games
11.Assassins Creed 34000
16.Natuto2 Wii 20000
17.Disgaea PSP 17000
25.Precure5 DS 12000
外.BASARA2 Heroes Wii 8600
外.Izuna2 6500
外.Super Swing Golf Season 2 6500
外.GUILTY GEAR 2 -OVERTURE- 5300
外.Another Century's Episode 2 Special Vocal Version 4900
外.Kabutore Next 3400
外.Tony Hawk's Project 8 PS3 1800
外.Tony Hawk's Project 8 360 1100

Wow! at Layton 2 boosting Layton 1 sale.
MHP2 : It's a beast. At this point, anything can happen (2M?)
REUC : Go go go RE. Hope this is because of supply constrain.

Crusade

Segata Sanshiro said:
Already been said a few times, but loosus, when I talk about legs, I look at raw numbers, not rank orders. Seeing as how one means something, and the other means very little. SMG has stayed at the same level for three weeks in a row now, and Mario & Sonic's 2nd week drop is quite small compared to most games. That would be "legs".
Mario and Sonic didn't have that great numbers to start with, so the drop would be minimal

Busaiku

Layton 2 is doing great numbers, but wasn't the shipment like huge though? In any case, it'll probably outdo the first.
WiiFit is also doing great and keeping up Wii game legs, which is nice.

Frillen

Layton 2 = Awesome
Dragon Quest seems to have the drop off like the other DQ titles.
WiiFit = Awesome
Galaxy = Three straight weeks now with 35-40k

Wii bumps up to 71k. I think it will stay above 60k until we hit the holidays.

Crusade said:
Mario and Sonic didn't have that great numbers to start with, so the drop would be minimal
Not neccessarily. Lots of games that debut at around 60k sales go straight into the shitbin the next week. Heck, lots of games that open higher than that have weaker 2nd weeks than 42k. First week was obviously pretty bad, but I don't see how anyone can be disappointed with the second week sales given that.

gconsole

Crusade said:

Then why PN03 sale at 30k first week but drop to something like 0.5k in the second week? Is this the same situation?

Crusade said:
Yeah but I wasn't talking about legs, I was talking about how much it dropped from it's first week

You said the drop in the second week is small because of the game's small debut, which is not true. Games usually have big drop offs in the second week, no matter how much it debuts at, unless it has legs.

donny2112

SovanJedi said:
I think this is the best of both worlds here - Wii Fit definitely did the big numbers for its 2-day debut, but it still didn't take the number 1 slot from a very deserving sequel to a promising IP. In other words, gaming is FAR from dead. :D

QFT

ShmarthurShmooner said:
- wiifit's next 2-3 weeks will be decisive, if it drops below 100-150k it's not gonna be the hit everybody thought it would be.

No. It depends on if it sells well and is actually available for purchase.

GreenNight said:
Spaces work some ... wonders people.

Yeah, creamsugar! If you can't format it nicely, we don't want to see these early Famitsu numbers at all. Hmph.

Obviously, I'm not serious, creamsugar. You could post just the Japanese with the sales numbers, and I'd be happy. Keep doing what you're doing. :D

Crusade said:

No. When you start off with poor numbers due to being unpopular, the second week numbers usually drop off even more (%-wise). Mario & Sonic is showing legs.
Sonic. Legs. :lol

jgwhiteus

The thing about Mario & Sonic - I can see it having healthy (if not amazing) sales through the holidays. I know Amazon (US) isn't a reliable indicator of sales position, but it's been in the top 10 for a while now, and it wasn't when it opened. It also went up the charts in the UK, right? (though I guess that could be due to a big advertising push).

Maybe it's finally caught on with the casuals (or at least parents and kids) - who aren't the type who'd buy it the first week, etc.

Crusade

Segata Sanshiro said:
Not neccessarily. Lots of games that debut at around 60k sales go straight into the shitbin the next week. Heck, lots of games that open higher than that have weaker 2nd weeks than 42k. First week was obviously pretty bad, but I don't see how anyone can be disappointed with the second week sales given that.
I agree it has some decent legs, I'm just saying 42k shouldn't exactly blowing any doors off when there were no front-loaded sales to begin with

Then why PN03 sale at 30k first week but drop to something like 0.5k in the second week? Is this the same situation?

What has PN03 got to do with anything?

donny2112

がんばる私の家計ダイアリー = My Housekeeping Diary

creamsugar seems to consistently have trouble getting an English translation for that one with the early data.

Laguna

Banned
It seems that now even Famitsu hates PS3. Oh bitter fanboys tears, what happened with PS3s comeback and WiiFits irrelevance? Next week should be interesting it´s possible that WiiFit will do at least one or two 100k+ weeks.

gconsole

Crusade said:
I agree it has some decent legs, I'm just saying 42k shouldn't exactly blowing any doors off when there were no front-loaded sales to begin with

PN03 is an example of the game that didn't has leg. You can replace PN03 with anything that doesn't has leg.

Rocksteady33

BishopLamont said:
Just because you don't understand doesn't mean it's a fucking random comparison.

What's there to understand? He's comparing first week sales of a new IP on what was a dead system of the generation to a game that features two of the industries biggest properties together in one game on this generations most popular system. Please tell me how the fuck is that a good and logical comparison?

Crusade

Laguna said:
It seems that now even Famitsu hates PS3. Oh bitter fanboys tears, what happened with PS3s comeback and WiiFits irrelevance? Next week should be interesting it´s possible that WiiFit will do at least one or two 100k+ weeks.
Wii just had it's biggest release of the year. You think tracker's "hating" a system has anything to do with it? Fanboys :lol

Crusade said:

How the hell is a new IP going to have front-loaded sales? I think you're using all these terms without even understanding them. That PN03 comparison shows exactly how games drop off in the second week.

Rocksteady33 said:
What's there to understand? He's comparing first week sales of a new IP on what was a dead system of the generation to a game that features two of the industries biggest properties together in one game on this generations most popular system. Please tell me how the fuck is that a good and logical comparison?

They're both new IP's, one shows small drop off while the other shows a huge drop off. A comparison between the two games is bad, but it's a perfect example of how most games drop off in the 2nd week.

Crusade said:
But it's not the same situation :lol

No it shows how PN.03 dropped off in the second week, nothing more. It's not the same genre, not the same system, and never had any steep sales expectation like M&S

Ok that comparison with PN03 is bad, but I was disputing your earlier point that M&S had a small drop off because of the small debut, which is not true.

Crusade

gconsole said:
PN03 is an example of the game that didn't has leg. You can replace PN03 with anything that doesn't has leg.
But it's not the same situation :lol

BishopLamont said:
How the hell is a new game going to have front-loaded sales? That PN03 comparison shows exactly how games drop off in the second week.

No it shows how PN.03 dropped off in the second week, nothing more. It's not the same genre, not the same system, and never had any steep sales expectation like M&S

donny2112

Crusade said:

NDS Brain Training 44K 33K 30K 33K 34K ... 3.5 million

No, I don't think Mario & Sonic will break even 1 million. However if it catches on with the Wii Sports/BT crowd, it could sell "just okay" for quite a long time.

Laguna said:
It seems that now even Famitsu hates PS3. Oh bitter fanboys tears, what happened with PS3s comeback and WiiFits irrelevance?

That's too much.

Crusade

donny2112 said:
NDS Brain Training 44K 33K 30K 33K 34K ... 3.5 million

No, I don't think Mario & Sonic will break even 1 million. However if it catches on with the Wii Sports/BT crowd, it could sell "just okay" for quite a long time.
That's exactly the crowd it's selling to, that's how these games sell and they're even more popular than when Brain Training debuted. I don't know why you people were expecting it to drop to some abysmal "PN.03" numbers this week :lol

Laguna

Banned
Crusade said:
Wii just had it's biggest release of the year. You think tracker's "hating" a system has anything to do with it? Fanboys :lol
It was an ironic post. Last week there were alot of Sonyfanboys whining about MediaCreate sales just because it was some thousand units below Wii. The same people who claimed Sonys comeback. There were also alot of people saying that WiiFit won´t have an effect on Wiis hardware sales. As expected none of these statements were well-thought.

Crusade

Laguna said:
It was an ironic post. Last week there were alot of Sonyfanboys whining about MediaCreate sales just because it was some thousand units below Wii. The same people who claimed Sonys comeback. There were also alot of people saying that WiiFit won´t have an effect on Wiis hardware sales. As expected none of these statements were well-thought.
I'm pretty sure everybody, even the most ardent PS3 fanboy, was aware that PS3 wouldn't outsell Wii when it had no releases this week and Wii had it's biggest.

donny2112

Rocksteady33 said:
He's comparing first week sales of a new IP on what was a dead system of the generation to a game that features two of the industries biggest properties together in one game on this generations most popular system.

Just addressing the bolded part for comparison.

Percent of 1st week sales:
PS3 Gundam Musou 100% 28% 11% 7%
WII Mario & Sonic 100% 63%

Layton 1 selling 12K this week with the release of Layton 2 is AWESOME. :D

Grampasso

I was expecting PS3 numbers to be early caught in the holiday rush starting now, but they actually went down from the previous week (or maybe it's just Famitsu/MC discrepancy?). Should we expect GT5P for PS3 to get a significative bump with staying power?

bigfurb

Grampasso said:
I was expecting PS3 numbers to be early caught in the holiday rush starting now, but they actually went down from the previous week (or maybe it's just Famitsu/MC discrepancy?). Should we expect GT5P for PS3 to get a significative bump with staying power?

I think it'd be silly not to expect it. Big titles move systems, and they don't get much bigger than GT5P

donny2112

bigfurb said:
they don't get much bigger than GT5P

Huh? GT4P was the 27th best-selling title on the PS2 in Japan. Looking at already released series and PS2 sales, Gundams, Musous, MNGs, and WEs were all bigger.

Loudninja

Laguna said:

Why in the hell are you trying to start crap?Anyway, good softwar numbers this week!The Wii got a nice boost, and the PS3 is still doing pretty good

iidesuyo said:
BASARA2 Heroes PS2 94000
BASARA2 Heroes Wii 8600

I have no clue what this game is about, but Wii has a HUGE problem when it comes to multiplatform releases. Was the PS2 version cheaper?
It's essentially an expansion to a PS2 game that came out earlier in the year. The PS2 version of Heroes was just the expansion part, the Wii version was both parts bundled at a higher price.
CoolS said:
It actually was but I don't think that's the single reason y the PS2 version sells better ...
Multiplatform sequels to PS2 games with PS2 as lead console tend to to best on PS2.

I wonder what would be the case with an original game? DQ Swords did well, but it wasn't a multiplatform version competing with the PS2 userbase, either.

PS2 games of 2007, in descending sales order. I think the highest up that isn't a sequel to an earlier PS2 game is "Fate/stay night".
stilgar said:
Wow, did the previous Tony Hawk bomb like that in Japan?
Probably. From all the info in my database, the only Tony Hawk game to even make the charts was the PS2 version of THPS3, which hit #30 its launch week with 3,938 sold. I couldn't tell you if the PS1/DC predecessors made a mark.
gconsole said:
Then why PN03 sale at 30k first week but drop to something like 0.5k in the second week?
According to Famitsu, P.N.03 also only made the charts one week. 10,569 at place #26. To hit #30 the following week, it would've needed at least 4,679.

Hmmmm, good week pretty much all around. Layton 2 is kicking ass and taking names, of course -- Level 5 are really on a roll here. SMG and M&S are both hiking their skirts up a little here, which is a (good) surprise.

The DQ4 numbers don't seem bad to me -- but then I don't have the PS1 version's numbers on hand, so I can't see how it's tracking relatively. At least it doesn't look like it's been completely choked off by a lack of supply.

Wii Fit blew way past my sarcastic prediction. As many suggested, this game is going to be a monster.

bigfurb said:
I think it'd be silly not to expect it. Big titles move systems, and they don't get much bigger than GT5P

GT5P isn't even a full game. :lol GT is the king shit of PlayStation franchises, which is why even a paid preview of it is a big event, but it isn't going to be as big as many other full games, and certainly not close to the real GT5.

Sharp

Come on SMG, just keep selling like that for another year and you might get damn close to the first-day numbers you deserved!

tanod

when is my burrito
Great Wii numbers. Healthy PS3 numbers. If the PS3 can stay close to or above 40k-50k, that's what I would consider healthy.

I was only 4,000 off on my prediction for Wii Fit and that was before we even knew the rumored shipment numbers. I'm glad that every once in a while reality decides to bend to my will. :p

I'm waiting to see what GT5P does and how much/if Wii Fit continues to affect hardware sales. Interesting times.

spwolf

Sharp said:
Come on SMG, just keep selling like that for another year and you might get damn close to the first-day numbers you deserved!

QFT :).

So how are Fit numbers and Wii hardware - good as expected or less?

Busaiku

Is Dragon Quest IV having shortages? This is a normal drop off for a DQ game, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't, but I still remember the first day sales were like 300k, which was 70% of the shipment then.

Loudninja

tanod said:
Great Wii numbers. Healthy PS3 numbers. If the PS3 can stay close to or above 40k-50k, that's what I would consider healthy.

I was only 4,000 off on my prediction for Wii Fit and that was before we even knew the rumored shipment numbers. I'm glad that every once in a while reality decides to bend to my will. :p

I'm waiting to see what GT5P does and how much/if Wii Fit continues to affect hardware sales. Interesting times.

I know this is crazy to ask, but how popular are GT games in Japan?

1.5 million. Yeah I know I know 700k shipment etc. Still would have happened if there were any justice in the world.

That will take awhile :D

QFT :).

So how are Fit numbers and Wii hardware - good as expected or less?

People had some crazy high numbers for Wii Fit, but it did good anyways

Top Bottom