• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 22 - 28 May (kay, real this time)

4. (PSP, Square Enix) Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable - 48,342

11 - PS2 - Tsuyo Kiss: Mighty Heart (PrincessSoft)
12 - NDS - Pokémon Ranger (Nintendo)
13 - NDS - Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
14 - PS2 - .hack//G.U. Vol.1 (Bandai-Namco)
15 - PSP - Brain Training Portable 2 (SEGA)
16 - NDS - Touch Panic (Nintendo)
17 - PS2 - Street Fighter Zero: Fighter's Generation (Capcom)
18 - PS2 - Space Detective Spirit (Bandai-Namco)
19 - GCN - Jikkyou Powerful Major League (Konami)
20 - PSP - Magna Carta Portable (Banpresto)
21 - NDS - Kanji Training DS (Nintendo)
22 - GBA - MOTHER 3 (Nintendo)
23 - NDS - Yawaraka Atamajuku (Big Brain Academy) (Nintendo)
24 - NDS - SIMPLE DS Series Vol.8: The Kanshikikan - Kinkyuu Shutsudou!! Jiken Genba wo Touch Seyo (!) (D3 Publisher)
25 - PS2 - Dragon Quest Yangus (Square-Enix)
26 - PS2 - Soshite Kono Uchuu ni Kirameku Kimi no Shi (Datam Polystar)
27 - NDS - Right Brain Training: Point Blank Trainer (Bandai-Namco)
28 - PSP - Kamaitachi no Yoru 2 (SEGA)
29 - NDS - Children of Mana (Square-Enix)
30 - PS2 - Mystereet (First Print Limited Edition) (Yeti)

As I expected, third party PSP sales continue to impress. Sega is the big winner this week, with two great selling PSP titles. They need all the money they can get. If Sega comes out and announces Shenmue III next week, they can thank the PSP for selling their real games.

Mario selling 800,000 copies is far from impressive; Mario has always been a top seller, and I'm sure only hardcore DS gamers bought it. It will be interesting to see how far this game drops next week. Based on my research, there are only about 1.1 million real DS gamers in Japan. The rest are one time software buyers who happen to be "non gamers". So a woman might buy Nintendogs, an elderly man might buy Brain Training, etc. They are one and done customers, and I expect that to show up next week in the charts.

Celebrating over the DSL's sales are just like celebrating the PStwo's sales. Both systems only appeal to current owners who want to upgrade. So, until the DSL outsells the regular DS' LTD numbers, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that new gamers are buying it.

Razoric said:
anyone else think its fucking awesome that a brand new 2D (ish) Mario platformer can pull in almost 1 million sales in just one week in one territory? Nintendo is back bitches. :D :D :D

Yeah, it has already has surpassed Mario Sunshine. Nintendo had BETTER start working on a new entry.

And...Ha ha, yeah right, non-games are killing traditional games. -_-

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
PhoenixDark said:
As I expected, third party PSP sales continue to impress. Sega is the big winner this week, with two great selling PSP titles. They need all the money they can get. If Sega comes out and announces Shenmue III next week, they can thank the PSP for selling their real games.

Mario selling 800,000 copies is far from impressive; Mario has always been a top seller, and I'm sure only hardcore DS gamers bought it. It will be interesting to see how far this game drops next week. Based on my research, there are only about 1.1 million real DS gamers in Japan. The rest are one time software buyers who happen to be "non gamers". So a woman might buy Nintendogs, an elderly man might buy Brain Training, etc. They are one and done customers, and I expect that to show up next week in the charts.

Celebrating over the DSL's sales are just like celebrating the PStwo's sales. Both systems only appeal to current owners who want to upgrade. So, until the DSL outsells the regular DS' LTD numbers, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that new gamers are buying it.
:lol you are better at this than me by a country mile.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The game is fucking great, a demonstration of Nintendo savoir faire on every levels.
And DS Lite should have won the Best Hardware award at E3. Playing Mario on it is pure pleasure.

Archie said:
:lol you are better at this than me by a country mile.

iraqi_information_minister.jpg

You and me both, my friend, you and me both.

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Very impressive sales with Mario. What does everyone think of the possibilities of the DS hitting sales of 20M before the DS' two year 'anniversary' (November 21)? Right now sales stand at 16M, rite?
If it was 16 million after 18 months, 4 million more in the next 6 months is easy peasy considering current Japanese sales and upcoming DS Lite launches around the world.

Lunney

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Best idea ever, neoGAF bet section needed.

I wonder how many fanboys'd put their money where their mouths are, twould be entertaining, how would you organise it? paypal?

ioi

Banned
Razoric said:
anyone else think its fucking awesome that a brand new 2D (ish) Mario platformer can pull in almost 1 million sales in just one week in one territory? Nintendo is back bitches. :D :D :D

I think it is insane that there hasn't been a new 2D Mario game for well over 10 years even though demand was obviously there. Maybe as everone keeps saying, 2D Mario is back again now!

To be fair though, I don't think it is entirely a 2D vs 3D thing. Mario 64 sold nearly 2m on a 5.5m N64 userbase, and its sales were hurt by the severe lack of N64 titles in Japan through 97 which slowed everything to a halt.

It's one of these things, partly due to the title itself and partly to do with the system it is on and so forth. New Mario Bros has outperformed all the other recent Mario games for a combination of reasons. Had the title been released on Gamecube I do think it would have been a slightly different story. I guess what I am getting at is that people keep saying "Mario is back" which is true, but I don't think it is a sudden reinvigoration of interest in Mario, just that there has been such a lack of new Mario games for so long now. I think Mario Galaxy will also do extremely well.

Lunney said:
I wonder how many fanboys'd put their money where their mouths are, twould be entertaining, how would you organise it? paypal?

If people are seriously interested I could always look into setting something up on E&N where people can make actual bets and so on, maybe for actual money or just fictional money for the pride of it.

Jiggy

jesusraz said:
A newly themed Super Mario Underground would be interesting, to go alongside Galaxy Wii.
Wow... no kidding. Now you've got me wondering why it hasn't happened already. Edit: Especially since the underground Mario theme seems to be the one they use more consistently than any other. Even in games like Sunshine and NSMB where there's either sporadic or no usage of the main SMB1 theme, the underground music is used in full.

Also, now I'm dying to know how well NSMB did in the US.

Jiggy37 said:
Also, now I'm dying to know how well NSMB did in the US.

Considering what it's done in Japan in the first 4 days, I would guess 400k is possible for the month of May, but 200-250k seems more likely.

koam

Danthrax said:
Oh yeah. Put the crow in the oven and break out the fine china. Here comes last week's sales thread:

And then there were PhoenixDark's Monorojo impressions:

I give the "I was right last week" award to Rlan:

Fantastic job, everybody. Much better than Wedbush could have done. :lol

I never said it would sell LESS than that number in that thread.

Enjoy parting with 600 bones Koam.

Again read that thread, i said it wouldn't sell exactly that much :)

Is it just Canadian TV or is Nintendo running the NSMB TV commercial a lot?

The one where it starts off as Super Mario Bros. on the NES and then morphs into NSMB?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
koam said:
I never said it would sell LESS than that number in that thread.

Again read that thread, i said it wouldn't sell exactly that much :)

Yeah Koam's right, he bet that NSMB wouldn't sell exactly 637k. And it didn't, so technically ioi owes Koam a Wii60! =P

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
PhoenixDark said:

Phoenix Dark is Monorojo confirmed, now the question is Phoenix Dark and Monorojo = whose's joke accounts?

koam

Danthrax said:
Yeah Koam's right, he bet that NSMB wouldn't sell exactly 637k. And it didn't, so technically ioi owes Koam a Wii60! =P

Heh i like how the bet was $600 but people are saying wii60 instead of ps3. :p

The bet was off anyway in that same thread.

Lunney

ioi said:
If people are seriously interested I could always look into setting something up on E&N where people can make actual bets and so on, maybe for actual money or just fictional money for the pride of it.

I personally wouldn't as I dont really know enough about the subject but certainly it would be entertaining to speculate, which is mostly what I do on this forum anyway. Sort of forum credits would be good, one could put theirs on the line, winning or loosing would depend whether a certain situation happens or whatever eg. "nsmb2 announced before christmas" "daimond/pearl breaks a million in one week" etc etc

posters would really need to question their motives :)

fuck i just realized i spend way too much time on an internet videogame forum. i don't see how to delete your account from neogaf.. how do you do that? anyone?

oh by the way great mario sales. excellent game too.

Deku

Banned
Lunney said:
I personally wouldn't as I dont really know enough about the subject but certainly it would be entertaining to speculate, which is mostly what I do on this forum anyway. Sort of forum credits would be good, one could put theirs on the line, winning or loosing would depend whether a certain situation happens or whatever eg. "nsmb2 announced before christmas" "daimond/pearl breaks a million in one week" etc etc

posters would really need to question their motives :)

That would encourage forum posters to sound like politicians hedging their bets every which way so they can get partial credit whatever happens.

I sort of enjoy the retarded, but heartfelt and honest bickering over predictions that goes on here and on occasion participate in them. The people who hate something enough to be so vitriolic as to wager their account on a prediction should be free to do so. For most of us, being honest and admitting we made a bad prediction(s) is enough. Then of course there are those who make predictions and don't own up to them when they are wrong.

Lunney

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that people bet their accounts, and hedging bets would be annoying.

It would also be alot of admin for the mods, unless of course someone wrote a programme to do it. (would that even be possible? would it depend on th nature of the bet?)

a fun game would be everyone puts in a prediction of how much a game will sell on say, week one and however many thousands far away you are from the correct figure you are you loose that many credits, the person who wins (predicts closest) gets the sum of all lost by other players.

(of course the first poster to make it to 600 is winner) :lol

jax (old)

Banned
isn't it wrong to get banned and then get a new account?

LOL @ phoenixdark/monorojo's 50k NSMB 1st week sales + PSP defence.

Axord

soundwave05 said:
It's *crazy* that Nintendo makes so few main Mario games.
I see it as being part of the secret sauce of their franchises.
1. Things that are rarer are more valued.
2. A backlog of great game ideas can be concentrated in one game rather than spread out over several.
3. Developers and directors don't get burned out from working full-steam on one game type constantly.

ratcliffja said:
It's hilarious how many people don't realize that PD is a Nintendo fan.
He's a great troll in the classic Usenet sense.

Deku

Banned
Nintendo is as guilty as the EAs and Activisions of milking their franchises. That's where a lot of the hostility towards them come from. I mean, Pokemon is a giant cash cow for them precrisely because they can reuse the same content with slight upgrades and sell a ton of games and the whole idea of releasing numerous versions of the same game (Nintendogs/Pokemon) is a great profit center. And there's the whole business with re-issuing Mario ALL-Stars games as standalone Mario games for the GBA. The fact that the GBA didn't have a marquee original Mario title of its own always annoyed me.

People are being disingenous when they say Nintendo is special and unique. That said, I have to agree that there's some truth to what makes Nintendo better as a software company than EA or your normal major publisher. They handle their franchises with better care, and don't mind holding back releasing a game until a better idea comes along to do something with it.

Unlike Sqare-Enix which seems to just spin around doing DQ and FF spin offs and remakes, hey also have sufficient depth in their catalog to alternate their milking of franchises. They've milked Pokemon, Mario Party, and other games in recent memory, but their major 3D and 2D mario titles have been so rare, you see these kinds of pent up demand for a new one.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Very impressive sales with Mario. What does everyone think of the possibilities of the DS hitting sales of 20M before the DS' two year 'anniversary' (November 21)? Right now sales stand at 16M, rite?
It was 16 million as of the end of March, add to that what it has done in just Japan since then (~1.29 million + 300K? for this week) and you realize it'll pass 20 million WW way before the 2-year anniversary.

cvxfreak

Deku said:
Unlike Sqare-Enix which seems to just spin around doing DQ and FF spin offs and remakes, hey also have sufficient depth in their catalog to alternate their milking of franchises. They've milked Pokemon, Mario Party, and other games in recent memory, but their major 3D and 2D mario titles have been so rare, you see these kinds of pent up demand for a new one.

Pokemon is its own company for a reason. It's become its own franchise, its own brand and the different products of Pokemon suit different needs, really. It's like Disney in a way, with the movies, toys, games and at one point even a theme park.

Don't get me wrong, instances like Pokemon Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen are still milking, but I don't find it nearly as bad as what EA does every year.

Jiggy

Deku said:
Nintendo is as guilty as the EAs and Activisions of milking their franchises. That's where a lot of the hostility towards them come from. I mean, Pokemon is a giant cash cow for them precrisely because they can reuse the same content with slight upgrades and sell a ton of games and the whole idea of releasing numerous versions of the same game (Nintendogs/Pokemon) is a great profit center.
The difference, of course, being that there have been three new Pokemon games in ten years (starting from the original Japanese releases) and they always have new features, as opposed to EA releasing new sports games every single year with little more than a roster update, graphics upgrade, and maybe some AI tweaks--and then, IIRC, dropping online support for games prior to the current year's version.

verplant

PhoenixDark said:

899.518 = 800.000 ???

Mario has always been a top seller? Have u ever seen this chart?

nsmbw19wc.gif

Poor boy...

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is it me or does like half of the top 20 consists of Brain training-esque games? Anyway cool numbers of Mario, next week we will see how frontloaded the game is.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
verplant said:
899.518 = 800.000 ???

nsmbw19wc.gif

Poor boy...
Your nickname says it all ;P

cvxfreak

Jiggy37 said:
The difference, of course, being that there have been three new Pokemon games in ten years (starting from the original Japanese releases) and they always have new features, as opposed to EA releasing new sports games every single year with little more than a roster update, graphics upgrade, and maybe some AI tweaks--and then, IIRC, dropping online support for games prior to the current year's version.

You don't count Pokemon Blue/Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen and the inevitable Pokemon Platinum (?) re-release milking?

There ARE new features in many of EAs year releases just like the Pokemon re-releases have new content. It's still milking.

lancubap

PhoenixDark said:

A masterpiece. :lol :lol :lol :lol

lancubap

Days like these... said:
Phoenix Dark is Monorojo confirmed, now the question is Phoenix Dark and Monorojo = whose's joke accounts?

I agree that these joke accounts are really terrible. But they are even amusing ! :lol

verplant said:
899.518 = 800.000 ???

Poor boy...

Attention verplant: they are joke accounts.

ioi

Banned
RamzaIsCool said:
Is it me or does like half of the top 20 consists of Brain training-esque games? Anyway cool numbers of Mario, next week we will see how frontloaded the game is.

Another 400k

zou

lancubap said:
I agree that these joke accounts are really terrible. But they are even amusing ! :lol

Attention verplant: they are joke accounts.

You and verplant both don't get it.

fresquito

How many million-sellers are there in Japan on the DS? Is there a precedent of so many million-sellers in a console in a year and half?

Top Bottom