• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 23-29 Jan

Ronok

Yes I know but in the long term, i think it's better to use Famitsu numbers which much more exhaustive. Currently, MC is good for DS fanboys to make fun of PSP but I want to go beyond this.

Oh, Famitsu numbers serve this purpose as well, just they hand out a second serving of it.. And we all know two is better then one... [/endfanboy]

Anyway, I really have to wonder if Nintendo expected these games to be the driving force of there success.... I mean they obviously released them in the first place due to them being a high profit game, but, did they expect this much?

Oh and I am right in saying that Brain Training is selling more then on it's first week out right? If so that really is incredible..... Not that it wouldn't be if it wasn't, but, this makes it even more so....

I really just want to know what must be going through Nintendo execs minds with this success, it must have changed there perspective on the video games industry as a whole.. It must be having the same effect on developers all over Japan really.... If a game which was made with such a small team and on such a low budget can get this much success, then why are they spending so much on games which do the complete opposite? [NOTE: I'm not suggesting they should stop.] Is it possible for revelations (if this word actually fits :-/) like this to change the way developers go about making games in Japan or even the rest of the world based on the success of Nintendogs? I can really see the success of these games do really good things for the industry (push innovation, give smaller companies greater possibilites for growth, etc...) or the complete opposite (a complete turn away from big budget games, downsizing of companies to focus on smaller development teams, flooding of the market with cheaper and easier to develop games to the point where the market is destroyed)....

Anyway, what I said above is kind of exaggerated I know, but, I can see some of the points I made happening to some extent....... Go Brain Training....... :-/

:-/

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Ronok said:
Is it possible for revelations (if this word actually fits :-/) like this to change the way developers go about making games in Japan or even the rest of the world based on the success of Nintendogs?

I think a telling statistic was the number of DS 3rd party software sales (~95k), which is only some 30k above PSP 3rd party sales...and yet DS total software sales were around ~710k. Clearly, Nintendo have put software out there that is far more successful than most 3rd party stuff. Obviously, Nintendo have their franchises and brand name, but most sales seem to be in new "genres" and approaches - Brain Training, Nintendogs, new environment for Animal Crossing.

Surely as a 3rd party you have to be aware of what approach is producing results. If the DS is attracting a new audience, and this type of software is selling astonishing amounts (and can be created with smaller, cheaper, quicker development), then 3rd parties would be mad NOT to be influenced into pursuing the same kind of strategy.

I guess we'll see how DS development has changed (if it has) at E3 and the remainder of 2006.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Selling what, 12k in Japan and like 15k in Europe?
(I'm just guessing here)

And Sonic Rush LAUNCHED terribly in the US, it only managed to hit 130k because of December holidays sales, so I don't see it increaseing too much more that the holidays is over.

Considering this is *the best* Sonic in years, and the console versions still sill SIGNIFICANTLY more, to me, is not much of a success - its kinda sad really.

Selling 134k in the USA in 7 weeks is terrible? In what freaking world do you live?

Btw. I'm also just guessing, but I guess that Sonic Rush has already sold 100k+ in Europe.

Version 2.0:

dsmoneyfastv21tv.gif

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Tabris said:
Anyone who is cheering on the success of Brain Training no longer deserves to be called a gamer.
I'm actually looking foward to Brain Age/Training so I'm no longer a gamer?

whatever the fuck a gamer means

Joe Molotov

Tabris said:
Anyone who is cheering on the success of Brain Training no longer deserves to be called a gamer.

Non-games are the future. Get on the bandwagon now while you still get a free t-shirt. When Sony & Microsoft are both defunct, it will be too late.

mj1108

Tabris said:

I'm sure you'll be cheering them on when Sony and MS start making them -- right?

Jonnyram

Tabris said:
A little story now...

My wife doesn't really play games because she got too addicted to Famicom as a kid, but we've been playing the brain training games together quite a bit. Anyway, last night, I come downstairs at 2am and find she's playing the Dr.Mario game that comes on Brain Training 2. She's already been playing for more than two hours at this point, and she didn't complain that I was late to bed, but just let me fall asleep next to her. I wake up this morning and she's drained the DS's battery! I only charged it a couple of days ago!! Non-games, eh?

Tabris

Because, at least in the Japanese market, they threaten the development and selling power of actual games.

Sales have lessened for games across the board (PS2, GCN, PSP, 3rd Party DS games) ever since the non-game craze.

Less sales means less money towards the developer for actual games, which means less money to invest in development.

polg

Jonnyram said:
A little story now...

My wife doesn't really play games because she got too addicted to Famicom as a kid, but we've been playing the brain training games together quite a bit. Anyway, last night, I come downstairs at 2am and find she's playing the Dr.Mario game that comes on Brain Training 2. She's already been playing for more than two hours at this point, and she didn't complain that I was late to bed, but just let me fall asleep next to her. I wake up this morning and she's drained the DS's battery! I only charged it a couple of days ago!! Non-games, eh?

that's an awesome story... :)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Frankfurter said:
Selling 134k in the USA in 7 weeks is terrible? In what freaking world do you live?

Btw. I'm also just guessing, but I guess that Sonic Rush has already sold 100k+ in Europe.

I feel like you never really read my entire posts.

I said it LAUNCHED terribly in the US - and it did launch pretty badly - but it got a big boost in December because of the holidays - I didn't say the overall NA sales were terrible. I said on a world wide basis, its total is pretty damn sad, considering the shoddy console versions sell so so so much better.

There, I edited my post above to make that a little more 'clear' for you.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Tabris said:
Because, at least in the Japanese market, they threaten the development and selling power of actual games.

Sales have lessened for games across the board (PS2, GCN, PSP, 3rd Party DS games) ever since the non-game craze.

Less sales means less money towards the developer for actual games, which means less money to invest in development.

That's stupid. I could say the same thing about GTA, and how its sales threaten other genres and can cause an increase in thug sims.

mj1108

Tabris said:

If people didn't want these "non-games", they wouldn't be buying them. Simple as that.

(translation: you're an idiot)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Tabris said:

Are you kidding?? Gamers today are so obsessed lately with games that have giant budgets, sixty billion polygons, realistic textured skin, hundreds of enemies on the screen, and amazing breast physics that they are forgetting the whole reason people buy games! To have fun! Everything listed above are merely tools to possibly add to the fun of a game! Nothing more. If a game can be extreemly fun and rewarding without a million individuals each with thier own bodyshape and textures then more power to it!

Tabris

Oblivion said:
That's stupid. I could say the same thing about GTA, and how its sales threaten other genres and can cause an increase in thug sims.

...and I agree. GTA hurt the industry for the type of games I prefer.

Same with Madden.

Jonnyram

Tabris said:
I would argue the exact opposite. High sales of non-games means there's more money to spend on development of real games. For example, Nintendo's success with Brain Games will be more than enough to cover any losses they make from risky new IP such as Giftpia or Chibi Robo. If other companies have the same success, I think it works out well for gamers and non-gamers alike.

Tabris said:

:lol :lol :lol Right, I forgot that the only games on the DS are third party games, and Nintendo games are non-games.

John Harker said:
I said it LAUNCHED terribly in the US - and it did launch pretty badly - but it got a big boost in December because of the holidays - I didn't say the overall NA sales were terrible. I said on a world wide basis, its total is pretty damn sad, considering the shoddy console versions sell so so so much better.

Eh? I thought sales were really good in Europe.

Tabris

Jonnyram said:
I would argue the exact opposite. High sales of non-games means there's more money to spend on development of real games. For example, Nintendo's success with Brain Games will be more than enough to cover any losses they make from risky new IP such as Giftpia or Chibi Robo. If other companies have the same success, I think it works out well for gamers and non-gamers alike.

...but why would they spend the money to develop games like that when they can just make another Brain Training game?

Tabris

mj1108 said:
What type of games do you prefer?

Japanese RPGs (Final Fantasy, Suikoden, etc), Stealth-Action (Metal Gear), Adventure (Zelda), or just "artistic" games (Ico).

All of which sales have been changed or will be changed in one way or another by GTA, Madden and non-games.

Jonnyram

Tabris said:
...but why would they spend the money to develop games like that when they can just make another Brain Training game?
Because gamers don't care about non-games. Why kill an audience that is already spending cash on your games?

There are actually companies out there that don't go for the max profit all the time. I know EA is not one of them, but look at some of the other companies. SCEI is a great example. They make really niche titles that they know won't sell, but they make them to improve the image of the company, so it's not all GT sequels and HSG sequels. You won't find EA doing that kind of thing because they only care about getting the most money possible. Nintendo is also pro-active in releasing niche titles without caring about massive profits. Look at Ouendan, Famicom Wars DS, Super Princess Peach... even with the massive success of non-games, they still make actual games.

Leonsito

yoda.h1.jpg

Brain Training leads to Nintendogs, Nintendogs leads to Tetris, Tetris leads to Dr. Mario, Dr. Mario leads to Super Mario Bros.

Tabris said:

Why would Nintendo make any other games if they could just piggyback on Pokémon?

That situation applies to all major games, not just "non-games".

cvxfreak

Tabris said:

Because growth has a limit and ceiling to it. Market saturation with Brain Trainings is not a good thing.

...and we have real world evidence thanks to the fact Nintendo hasn't stopped developing new versions of their main franchises and embarked on new endeavours like Odama.

Tabris

I dunno, I just see non-games becoming the EA of the japanese market.

I mean if you dig non-games, that's cool and all, but I think they're a bad thing.

RaijinFY

Tabris said:

Because it's much less risky. The main philosophy of DS is there, to keep dev. cost low to allow the creation of new franchises. You can develop new concept without fearing to see your game bombing because you invest so much in it that It wont be profitable. Here's the deal.

But you know, it's the same thing with Sony and, well say Gran Turismo. Thx to the GT success, we can see games like ICO or Shadow of the Colossus, even if i'm sure, they arent profitale at all.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Tabris said:
Japanese RPGs (Final Fantasy, Suikoden, etc), Stealth-Action (Metal Gear), Adventure (Zelda), or just "artistic" games (Ico).

All of which sales have been changed or will be changed in one way or another by GTA, Madden and non-games.

Glad we're on the same side, at least. :p

Leonsito said:
yoda.h1.jpg

Brain Training leads to Nintendogs, Nintendogs leads to Tetris, Tetris leads to Dr. Mario, Dr. Mario leads to Super Mario Bros.

And Super Mario Bros leads to WOW!

liquify-execs-money-bin.gif

Posted this last nite my time which seems to be when the forum is least busy, so here it is again so you can all enjoy :)

ThirdEye

Jonnyram said:
We'll see less Mario whoring, which is a good thing. But more risky IP? I doubt it. "Let's train your brain with Pokemon" "Mario Brain Training" are on the way. Oh wait.

olimario

Banned
the androgyne said:

Posted this last nite my time which seems to be when the forum is least busy, so here it is again so you can all enjoy :)
With our powers combined :lol

polg

the androgyne said:

:lol wins

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
ThirdEye said:
We'll see less Mario whoring, which is a good thing. But more risky IP? I doubt it. "Let's train your brain with Pokemon" "Mario Brain Training" are on the way. Oh wait.

But you're forgetting, before last year, there was no Brain training. It was originally a risky IP, why would they suddenly stop after it?

donny2112

Jonnyram said:
Anyway, last night, I come downstairs at 2am and find she's playing the Dr.Mario game that comes on Brain Training 2.

Cool! Is it an unlockable/extra like in Wario Ware? Do you actually get a Brain Age score on how well you do in Dr. Mario?

ThirdEye said:

That's right, go ahead and ignore some of the games Nintendo has brought out the past genre or so such as Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Quedan, Chibi Robo, Band Bros., Giftpia, and so forth. You also have to remember that the Brain Training games were a risk themselves.

Then you have the Revolution which has a vastly different controller scheme than the norm which might come back to bite them in the ass.

Jonnyram

donny2112 said:
Cool! Is it an unlockable/extra like in Wario Ware? Do you actually get a Brain Age score on how well you do in Dr. Mario?
The Brain Training games start off with 4 or 5 different training exercises. Each day, you put a stamp on the calendar, and when you've collected a certain number of stamps, extra exercises open up. The Dr.Mario "exercise" is a bonus, since Professor Kawashima says it's better for your brain if you relax with a game after you've been studying. I think you get it after about 10 or 15 days.

This version of Dr.Mario has really chilled out music, and you can move the pills with the touch pen. Also (I think this was not in other versions of the game), when 4 parts match and disappear, if any bits drop because of that, you can move them with the touchpen while they are dropping.

ethelred

Tabris said:

Japanese RPGs, adventure, and artistic games are my favorite types of games, too... but I don't see them as having been hurt.

GTA achieved enormous success this generation, and the Madden-style franchise games have encountered continued success; because of that success, plenty of companies like EA and Activision have put resources into making more games that fit that mold. But I don't think it HAS hurt the games I like (as listed above), because there has still remained a market for those things. Take a look at the PS2 RPG library, which is huge, even bigger than the PSX"s was. And look at the GameCube RPG library, which is a complete turnaround from the abyss that was the N64 RPG library. ICO was hardly a huge financial success, but it got a successor despite the proliferation of thug games and yearly-updated sports games.

These genres of gaming have caused the industry to grow, but it *hasn't* hurt the genres I like; those, in fact, have grown and expanded right alongside the genres I don't like. Growth in the industry is a good thing, period, because it leads to all of the different genres expanding. And the success of "non-games" on the DS (which Brain Training is not, and I'm so tired of people calling it that) is not destroying the system as a home for more traditional games such as the Japanese RPGs. The DS already has an enormous announced lineup of RPGs, with well over thirty either already available or in development. More are absolutely certain to come. And even despite the continual success of these non-games, new projects are being started and new games are being announced for North American localization -- such as Tao's Adventure and Lost Magic both being announced within the past week, and the rumors of Slime Morimori 2 (which has managed to rack up impressive under-the-radar sales rivaling its GBA predecessor despite the Animal Crossing / Brain Training craze) being picked up by Nintendo of America.

Monorojo

Banned
oh man, thank god i dont live in Japan or even have to associate mysekf with that place, its shameful really.

Millions of them buy "games" like English Training and Brain Training and completely ignore brilliant games like Exit and Lumines solely for the reason its not a nintendo handheld....Truly a sad state of gaming over there.

CoolTrick

Banned
Millions of them buy "games" like English Training and Brain Training and completely ignore brilliant games like Exit and Lumines solely for the reason its not a nintendo handheld....Truly a sad state of gaming over there.

Congrats on the Retarded Comment of the Day award!

G4life98

the funniest thing about the "non-game" hate is that so-called non-games cost so little in time & money to produce that it enables nintendo to fund more big projects like zelda.metroid and mario.

and the simple fact it that BT is game and to say otherwise makes you a douche :lol

Monorojo said:
oh man, thank god i dont live in Japan or even have to associate mysekf with that place, its shameful really.

The same thing was said when PS2 dominated the Top 10 week-over-week. "The Japanese just blindly buy anything with 'Sony' slapped on it".

Joe Molotov

Tabris said:
I dunno, I just see non-games becoming the EA of the japanese market.

I mean if you dig non-games, that's cool and all, but I think they're a bad thing.

What does that even mean? That Brain Training is going to buy up exclusive rights to sports franchises, and buy out smaller developers and force them to churn out endless expansion packs until they finally go out of business?

Top Bottom