• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 3 - 9 July

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Scalemail Ted said:
NSMB is a beast. If these numbers are correct what would its current totals be at now?
2.257m :D
It will surpass Brain Age, More Brain Age and Animal Crossing soon. :)

jesusraz

Netrunner said:
jesusraz: More like Loco Choke-o...

Very nice!

Thank you very much *bows* ;)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
LocoRoco is really dissapointing, it had a lot of advertising didn't it? :(

Indeed it did - all over Japanese subway stations. There's a pic somewhere, is someone can be bothered digging it up.

As for bit Generations, Skip told me that it looks like they won't be ending any time soon. Adding to that the fact that Matt C of WiiIGN is currently harping on about Nintendo creating original titles for distribution over the Virtual Console, perhaps that will be the new home for future bit Gs?

Shiggy

jesusraz said:
Thank you very much *bows* ;)

Indeed it did - all over Japanese subway stations. There's a pic somewhere, is someone can be bothered digging it up.

As for bit Generations, Skip told me that it looks like they won't be ending any time soon. Adding to that the fact that Matt C of WiiIGN is currently harping on about Nintendo creating original titles for distribution over the Virtual Console, perhaps that will be the new home for future bit Gs?

They even said that they might intend to start development of the now cancelled 'Eyeball' in future again. (originally shown at E3 2005)
But at this point they are busy with Chibi Robo DS, although projects of the other two divisions are unannounced.

Burnst

jesusraz said:
It's on Kotaku:

locorocostation1.jpg

locorocostation2.jpg

locorocostation3.jpg

http://kotaku.com/gaming/psp/the-locoroco-train-station-187999.php

jesusraz

Thanks Burnst - looks like good advertising, doesn't it? But then again the ones plastered across nearly every bus in Manchester LOOK effective...Clearly they aren't, though.

Shiggy said:
They even said that they might intend to start development of the now cancelled 'Eyeball' in future again. (originally shown at E3 2005)
But at this point they are busy with Chibi Robo DS, although projects of the other two divisions are unannounced.

Yeah, three divisions - '1 Department' has just finished the bit Generations games, '819 Department' is working on Chibi DS (without Nishi-san this time) and '24 Department' has a project that will be announced in 2007.

Amir0x

Banned
jesusraz said:
Thanks Burnst - looks like good advertising, doesn't it? But then again the ones plastered across nearly every bus in Manchester LOOK effective...Clearly they aren't, though.

NOTHING is effective unless the game is on DS. That's seriously how it is in Japan atm.

king zell

more on advertising for Loco Choke-o here :

Sony has given elaborate promotional campaigns to many PSP titles to date, but none so much as with LocoRoco. Commercials for the game started airing months before release as Sony pushed PSP owners to download demo copies from the PlayStation Spot download service. Sony even used the game to usher in a new form of PSP demo: downloadable from your PC directly to Memory Stick.

http://insider.ign.com/articles/719/719380p1.html

jesusraz

Got my copy a couple of days ago, but not had much chance to play on it...So far:

- I love the 'touch-screen for everything' control system
- Battles aren't too dissimilar to Magical Vacation GBA
- The graphics are gorgeous, but not quite on the same level as Children of Mana
- Soundtrack is so melodic and catchy. First game in a while that I've bothered using my earphones for to get the full effect.

Shame I don't understand a word of Japanese. But thankfully I found a nice translation on *a website* to help out.

I'm actually enjoying it more than MV GBA so far... :)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
jesusraz said:
Got my copy a couple of days ago, but not had much chance to play on it...So far:

- I love the 'touch-screen for everything' control system
- Battles aren't too dissimilar to Magical Vacation GBA
- The graphics are gorgeous, but not quite on the same level as Children of Mana
- Soundtrack is so melodic and catchy. First game in a while that I've bothered using my earphones for to get the full effect.

Shame I don't understand a word of Japanese. But thankfully I found a nice translation on *a website* to help out.

I'm actually enjoying it more than MV GBA so far... :)
I heard the game is decent, but the standard controls are poor, if you don't want to play this game with the touch-screen alone, you're kinda outa luck.

Loco Roco isn't my kind of game, but those sales aren't necessarily bad if it can remain on the charts with "Legs". Otherwise, that's pretty unfortunate, it was getting good impressions from GAF and looked interesting.

Rock_Man

«þ» said:
If those numbers are correct, Animal Crossing has finally dropped out of the charts... after 7 months!

Don't know since we don't have the number for AC. It's probably still in the top ten!

donny2112

PSP
5 Jun - 11 Jun - 21,656
12 Jun - 18 Jun - 24,653
19 Jun - 25 Jun - 24,737
26 Jun - 2 Jul - 25,935
3 Jul - 9 Jul - 31,959

neo2046 said:
unconfirmed
PSP - 35,283

Interesting, again.

neo2046 said:
unconfirmed
NDS Brain Age - 31,000

That's the lowest for Brain Training in almost 8 months.

DSXBoy

donny2112 said:
PSP
5 Jun - 11 Jun - 21,656
12 Jun - 18 Jun - 24,653
19 Jun - 25 Jun - 24,737
26 Jun - 2 Jul - 25,935
3 Jul - 9 Jul - 31,959

Interesting, again.

That's the lowest for Brain Training in almost 8 months.

If after Sony's best release of games plus expansive advertising, PSP can still only manage less than 25% of NDS sales then SONY might as well admit defeat and give up now.

With the upcoming release of Nintendo's & some 3rd party big guns plus Pink and Jet Black DSL, it's downhill from now on for PSP:lol

«þ»

Rock_Man said:
Don't know since we don't have the number for AC. It's probably still in the top ten!

I just assumed the list neo posted was the Top 10 for July 10-16... my bad

Joe Molotov said:
Proof that the numbers aren't correct?

?

Well apparently they're unconfirmed...

There are many new titles in the charts. Titles w/o legs I think, so I expect AC to be back next week. But it would be no shame if it would stay outside the Top 10.

ethelred

jesusraz said:

Yeah, three divisions - '1 Department' has just finished the bit Generations games, '819 Department' is working on Chibi DS (without Nishi-san this time) and '24 Department' has a project that will be announced in 2007.

I did not realize Skip had an unannounced project in the works.

New quirky RPG for the Wii, please.

JavyOO7

8. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing: Wild World - 26234 / 2911295

How much more units does Animal Crossing need to surpass DQ8? Another half million?

jesusraz

So it looks like the PSP hardware is continuously on the rise...

ethelred said:
I did not realize Skip had an unannounced project in the works.

New quirky RPG for the Wii, please.

I've got an interview with them that I'll put up live tomorrow, probably. Nishi says he might get a tattoo saying 'Nintendo' in the future :lol

duckroll

I have the prelimanary numbers from Media Create! :D

Power Baseball XIII - 151,000
NSMB - 119,000
Persona 3 - 116,000
Million Monkeys - 57,000
More BT - 52,000
Project Hacker - 37,000
LocoRoco (incld bundle) - 31,000
BT - 31,000
Naruto RPG 3 - 26,500
Quiz Gundam - 23,700

Edit: Woohoo! Only beaten by neo by FOUR hours! :lol

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
I have the prelimanary numbers from Media Create! :D

Power Baseball XIII - 151,000
NSMB - 119,000
Persona 3 - 116,000
Million Monkeys - 57,000
More BT - 52,000
Project Hacker - 37,000
LocoRoco (incld bundle) - 31,000
BT - 31,000
Naruto RPG 3 - 26,500
Quiz Gundam - 23,700

Read the thread, dude! :lol

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Although I didn't expect much from Loco Roco, I thought there was a slight chance of it taking off in Japan. Guess not. :/
Which sucks, because it deserves it, moreso than a lot of other games IMO. Maybe the game will have legs (Loco Rocos don't have legs though).
I guess the Japanese don't want good games for their PSP. Heck, maybe they don't want any games at all. :|

ethelred

jesusraz said:
So it looks like the PSP hardware is continuously on the rise...

I've got an interview with them that I'll put up live tomorrow, probably. Nishi says he might get a tattoo saying 'Nintendo' in the future :lol

So is Nishi is still with them, then? I remember Jonnyram posted some news a while back saying that he had left Skip and formed his own new company and was working on a new game, Lack of Love, for the DS

Either way, I desperately wanted Giftpia in English and I absolutely loved Chibi Robo (even though I was a bit meh on what I played of Chibi Robo DS at E3), so I'm glad they've got another project in the works. Like I said, a new quirky Wii RPG in the style of Giftpia and Chibi Robo would make me quite happy.

Very nice Mario numbers again, with the Pink DSL released this week it may even get a boost next week. Not bad for Loco Roco either, in fairness it was never going to do huge numbers, but hopefully it'll show some nice legs and get over 100k.

ethelred

duckroll said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh well, you win some, you lose some! :lol

Wow, Brave Story PSP might have legs!

Yeah, looks like it. Based on this week's performance, it seems that Brave Story will be joining Suikoden I+II, Twelve, Princess Crown, Breath of Fire III, and Monster Kingdom in the Elite PSP RPG 20K Sellers Club.

:(

Oh, and to offer some serious commentary on the sales:

Fantastic opening for Persona 3. Very pleased with that one. That puts it over DDS2's LTD, and if it performs well in the coming weeks (or even decently), it should pass DDS1's LTD easily.

Good first week for Naruto RPG. It'll probably end up with lifetime sales about equal to the other two.

Likewise, good numbers for Project Hacker. I guess we'll see it in the ~100k range in the end, which is not bad at all; about the same numbers Another Code pulled in.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
At last, baseball outsold Persona 3 as I expected, although 150k opening isn't that good compared to other years. Persona 3 digestibility sounds very good, maybe it skips the inmense drop-offs of VPS and X3 thanks to that.

Good/normal numbers for Tekken, Million Monkeys, Project Hacker, Gundam, Naruto...LocoRoco is really dissapointing, it had a lot of advertising didn't it? :(

Yeah baseball is HUGE in Japan, so this is no surprise. But Persona 3's 116k is pretty amazing since it's better than the debut of P2 Eternal Punishment, and twice that of Raidou's opening. This is a great thing for Atlus. LocoRoco totally bombed, no excuse for that, while Project Hacker's numbers are pretty impressive for the genre. I hope Tekken DR has good legs, and it's nice to see such a tiny drop off for Brave Story PSP.

Busaiku

Project Hacker certianly did better than I was expecting, maybe it'll have some legs.
Hopefully Rockman ZX did alright as well.
And wow at only 5 Nintendo DS games on the top 10. Isn't that like the lowest this year?

cvxfreak

Busaiku said:
Project Hacker certianly did better than I was expecting, maybe it'll have some legs.
Hopefully Rockman ZX did alright as well.
And wow at only 5 Nintendo DS games on the top 10. Isn't that like the lowest this year?

Well, we didn't get Animal Crossing and English Training numbers I don't think, and they may still be in there.

Deku

Banned
If the unofficial numbers are true, PSP got a nice boost from LocoRoco.

RE: low 1st week sales. The game could have legs much like Brain Training and start our slow. That said, after having played it, LocoRoco is pretty representative of what you'd expect from the PSP. Great visuals and sound, but somewhat lacking in the gameplay department. It's not that greaty of a game, unfortunately so intereset may wayne depending on how word of mouth is on the street.

jesusraz

I'm hoping Project Hacker has strong enough legs to carry it over to the US, at least...

ethelred said:
So is Nishi is still with them, then?

He own Route24 AND is still with Skip...wait for the interview ;)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
«þ» said:
I just assumed the list neo posted was the Top 10 for July 10-16... my bad
The numbers neo posts are often most of the top 10 plus a few from throughout the top 30.

Busaiku said:
*copy/paste same answer*

Big surprise on the Project Hacker sales. The game had like no hype and a pitiful Famitsu score as well. Loco Roco sales are a bit dissapointing when considering how much advertising went into it and that the PSP has a bundle. However, I think it will have semi-decent legs and will probably hit 125 - 150k which is good for a PSP title. While the PSP has been showing an upward trend, I think it's a hopeless fight. A summer of Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable, Tekken: DR, Sega's Brain Training 2, and Loco Roco have only managed to boost the system 10k (and that's with the Loco Roco bundle). I'm not sure who said it (it was in a sales thread sometime after christmas, I think it was the guy who used to due the French charts until the DS started to dominate), but he claimed that summer 2006 was going to be the big PSP push and everyone would be surprised.

duckroll

parathod said:
but he claimed that summer 2006 was going to be the big PSP push and everyone would be surprised.

Hey, it's true! Summer 2006 has been a HUGE PSP push in terms of quality games! And everyone is surprised at how poorly they're doing! He was right! :D

donny2112

DSXBoy said:
If after Sony's best release of games plus expansive advertising, PSP can still only manage less than 25% of NDS sales then SONY might as well admit defeat and give up now.

With the upcoming release of Nintendo's & some 3rd party big guns plus Pink and Jet Black DSL, it's downhill from now on for PSP:lol

If the PSP can keep up weekly sales of 30K+ in the summer, I'd say it's in pretty good shape to remain a viable platform. 30K/week is sluggish, but it's not dead.

The DS is in the unknown as far as its sales go. Nothing has done this well for this long. Therefore trying to determine how good the PSP is selling by comparing it to current DS sales isn't a great idea. Besides, it seems like PSP and DS sales are quite insulated from each other, i.e. a rise in one doesn't mean a fall in the other.

Jiggy

Oblivion said:
Sorry guys, I don't want to make another thread, but that video of Pokemon Battle Revolution....was that real time?
Considering that the Pokemon games don't give you any sort of control whatsoever over the Pokemon and that they can make completely pre-canned animations for whatever attacks you select, in the same vein as Mistwalker is doing with ASH, I say yes.

Rock_Man said:
Assuming the unconfirmed numbers are true (they have been every week):

dspsp6lg8.png
Speaking of Pokemon...
I can't wait to see what this chart looks like from September 28th straight through to the end of the year.

Jiggy37 said:
Speaking of Pokemon...
I can't wait to see what this chart looks like from September 28th straight through to the end of the year.

Unless Nintendo figures out a way to start ramping up production, it's going to look the same.

Top Bottom