• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/21 - 5/27

Evlar

Banned
Innotech said:
With those Forza sales.....crossing the streams anyone?
Doubt it. It would probably take a game selling three or four times that much, and a bad week for the PS3.

Evlar

Banned
Rlan said:
NSMB looks to hit 4.5 million next week, and it's been a year since it's release! Does anyone know how many weeks in the past year has NSMB NOT been in the top 10? Has it at all? Any links to said week MC topics?

Rediculous. There is absolutely no need to release another 2D Mario anytime in the future, or at least, not until the next hardware revision.
It's been bouncing in and out of the top ten frequently the past couple months. I don't know any exact number.

TJ Spyke

It actually dropped out of the top 10 for a couple of months IIRC, but stayed in the top 30.

Yet another week with no PS3 games in the top 30, how many weeks has it been now?

justchris

Wow, nice numbers for Forza 2. Maybe it's not so ridiculous that 360 might outsell PS3 this week.

And yeah, Kekkaishi came out of nowhere.

v1cious

Banned
see what happens when you put out games the userbase actually wants? they need more psp titles like ths, even if they don't sell overseas. otaku dorks will buy anything that's anime related.

Avalon

Poor Odin Sphere. I knew it would drop until Oblivion pretty fast, but damn... I was hoping it would be a real success.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
TJ Spyke said:
Wow, was that the largest single week for a game in Japan? Has any game (and I stress game, not combining 2 Pokemon games) ever sold 1 million in Japan in any single week?

As long as it can continue at this steady pace, I think NSMB has a real possibility of outselling SMB (in Japan, I don't see it outselling SMB's 30+ million worldwide since SMB was bundled with the NES).

Dragon Quest normally does like 3-4 million first day.

Mirimar

Avalon said:
Poor Odin Sphere. I knew it would drop until Oblivion pretty fast, but damn... I was hoping it would be a real success.

Supply constrained, like Ouendan, right? Isn't that what we're saying now adays?

Harrywink2.gif

I honestly believe the Japanese didn't buy Forza 2 for the driving, but for the decal artist subculture. Seriously, take a gander at the Forza topic, or the Japanese fansites that have cropped up.

leah.jpg

This shit is just made with layers of geometric shapes stacked on top of each other!
(Che even went and confirmed it to be legit because he didn't believe it at first)

Vinnk

justchris said:
Wow, nice numbers for Forza 2. Maybe it's not so ridiculous that 360 might outsell PS3 this week.

It's still a bit ridiculous. If every one of those Forza 2 buyers also bought a new Xbox 360 to play it on, then yes it's possible. But more than likely its the people who already have the system are buying a god game to play on it. The sales might double this week, but not quadruple which is what would be needed to beat the PS3... then again... if the PS3 numbers drop a ton this week..

Anyway, if this was Trusty Bell I think the beams would cross, but Forza 2, not so much.

apujanata

TJ Spyke said:
Wow, was that the largest single week for a game in Japan? Has any game (and I stress game, not combining 2 Pokemon games) ever sold 1 million in Japan in any single week?

We got this 1 Million+ first week games (not a complete list, Famitsu based) :
Code:
Game Title	Publisher	System	Genre	Released	Since	Total Sold
Dragon Quest VIII	Square Enix	PS2	RPG	27-Nov-04	  2,236,881
Final Fantasy XII	Square Enix	PS2	RPG	16-Mar-06	  1,840,397
Dragon Quest V	Square Enix	PS2	RPG	25-Mar-04	  1,048,925

and some of the close call :
Code:
Game Title	Publisher	System	Genre	Released	Since	Total Sold
Kingdom Hearts II	Square Enix	PS2	RPG	22-Dec-05	  916,569

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
a Master Ninja said:
I honestly believe the Japanese didn't by Forza 2 for the driving, but for the decal artist subculture. Seriously, take a gander at the Forza topic, or the Japanese fansites that have cropped up.

leah.jpg

This shit is just made with layers of geometric shapes stacked on top of each other!
(Che even went and confirmed it to be legit because he didn't believe it at first)

Link to these Japanese sites please?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Ouendan 2 was pretty much sold out everywhere last week. This is most likely a supply problem.

Avalon

Mirimar said:
Supply constrained, like Ouendan, right? Isn't that what we're saying now adays?

I don't visit MC threads much so I'm not familiar with the jargon. Is that what people say when a game obviously just doesn't click with people? :)

Mirimar

Avalon said:
I don't visit MC threads much so I'm not familiar with the jargon. Is that what people say when a game obviously just doesn't click with people? :)

Doubt it, sadly. Anyone see Odin Sphere sold out in Akihabara?

jimbo

Banned
Vinnk said:
It's still a bit ridiculous. If every one of those Forza 2 buyers also bought a new Xbox 360 to play it on, then yes it's possible. But more than likely its the people who already have the system are buying a god game to play on it. The sales might double this week, but not quadruple which is what would be needed to beat the PS3... then again... if the PS3 numbers drop a ton this week..

Anyway, if this was Trusty Bell I think the beams would cross, but Forza 2, not so much.

Agreed. Forza 2 is the set-up though. It gets the buzz going a couple of weeks before Trusty Bell hits. Of course the biggest chance the 360 has of pulling it off is the bundle. If its going to do it, it's going to be because of that.

Another thing to keep in mind, and I realize that Amazon is not really a solid indicator of what's going on, but Forza 2 actually only made #1 Xbox game spot for 1 day while Trusty Bell has been in and out of the top 10 to as high as #2 for overall Amazon games sales for the past 3 weeks now.

If there's any correlation, TB should do really well.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Avalon said:

eeeehhhh not so much.

justchris

Vinnk said:

The problem with that is, doesn't Trusty Bell release the same week as Minna no Golf? Otherwise I'd say that would be the time when 360 bypassed PS3, but with that type of competition, it's difficult to say.

PS3 has been on a steady decline, and with no new software released, I could believe that people could just not be interested right now. This is a pretty slow week all around, it looks like.

jimbo

Banned
justchris said:
The problem with that is, doesn't Trusty Bell release the same week as Minna no Golf? Otherwise I'd say that would be the time when 360 bypassed PS3, but with that type of competition, it's difficult to say.

PS3 has been on a steady decline, and with no new software released, I could believe that people could just not be interested right now. This is a pretty slow week all around, it looks like.

Is Minna no Golf, Hot Shots? If so, then no. Hot Shots comes out in July. Ninja Gaiden comes out same week as TB though.

Innotech

Banned
icecream said:
Talk about your slow week...

luckystar2903fu0.jpg

Think of it as a bunch of homework problems you had to do in elementary school, except with cute anime characters.
I dont know about the game, but the Lucky Star anime is great.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Jonnyram said:
Forza sold about 10k by Sunday apparently (edit: seems like 15k from its chart position). There's been another 4 days pass since then, and word of mouth seems to be good, so it may have picked up a bit this week.

mbcq, I had posted that before the updated that put it at 11. I guess we'll see where it ends up next week to see what word of mouth did.

Vinnk

justchris said:

I'm saying if Trusty Bell was released this week. Yeah, Sony would be stupid to not put something up against it.

kassatsu

Banned
rs7k said:
No PS3 game in sight, yet the 360 makes an appearance. I know Forza 2 is a big release, but WTF is Sony doing? I wonder if the PS3 didn't even outsell the 360 by 2 to 1.
Folks Soul is coming out soon, I expect that to do well in Japan.

Jonnyram

justchris said:
No. Trusty Bell releases the same week as Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

Jiggy

icecream said:
[Lucky Star pic]

Think of it as a bunch of homework problems you had to do in elementary school, except with cute anime characters.
Homework problems like Brain Age or homework problems like homework problems? I'm shameless enough to say I'd probably consider getting it if the former was true and I spoke Japanese.

jimbo

Banned
The most amazing thing to me is that they are actually releasing Oblivion in Japan. How in the hell did they translate all that text?

Innotech

Banned
Branduil said:
If by "great" you mean "pandering garbage."
yeah. I like everything from Shinkai to Satoshi Kons work and Studio 4C to run of the mill light comedy fanservice like Lucky Star and Azumanga. I like a wide variety of stuff.

jimbo

Banned
pilonv1 said:
That week is going to be epic.

It should deffinitely sell more bundles that week than what the PS3 is currently averaging right now. The only thing in question is if NGS can boost hardware sales of the PS3. I don't know what the original Ninja Gaiden did for the Xbox back when it was released, but I don't think it was much, so I doubt a port will do much for the PS3. It will be close either way.

Innotech said:
I dont know about the game, but the Lucky Star anime is great.
Not to mention that they advertised the game in the anime. The sales should not be suprising. :3

Sad to see Ouendan drop. Hope we see it in the Top 10 next week.
I still haven't beat "Sekai wa Sore wo Ai to Yobundaze" on Cheerleader mode yet. =(

Branduil

Innotech said:
yeah. I like everything from Shinkai to Satoshi Kons work and Studio 4C to run of the mill light comedy fanservice like Lucky Star and Azumanga. I like a wide variety of stuff.

I like a wide variety of stuff too. I watched the first two episodes, and didn't find anything worthwhile at all. Meh.

lupin23rd

I think the real epic week is going to the July 26th week. I believe Minna no Golf and Wangan are coming for PS3, Oblivion for 360, and Guilty Gear, Puyo Puyo, and Dewy's Adventure for Wii. Hmm I think Gundam for Wii as well but I don't see that one on Nintendo's site.

There is one other PS3 game coming out on the same day as Sigma, is it CoD3 or R6?

m

lupin23rd

jimbo said:
It should deffinitely sell more bundles that week than what the PS3 is currently averaging right now. The only thing in question is if NGS can boost hardware sales of the PS3. I don't know what the original Ninja Gaiden did for the Xbox back when it was released, but I don't think it was much, so I doubt a port will do much for the PS3. It will be close either way.

It's not going to save the PS3 for sure, but it will do better than ****ing Rygar on PS2.

I'm hoping to see at least VF5 numbers, but we shall see.

Let's not forget the original NG came out on XBox in Japan. XBox. :lol

I am curious what it could have done on PS2.

m

justchris

jimbo said:
Is Minna no Golf, Hot Shots? If so, then no. Hot Shots comes out in July. Ninja Gaiden comes out same week as TB though.

Jonnyram said:
No. Trusty Bell releases the same week as Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

Ah, I got my release dates mixed up then. Point still stands, though I don't think Ninja Gaiden is as strong a property as Hot Shots Golf. Trusty Bell will certainly do good things for 360 sales that week, but it's hard to say it'll push past PS3 with any kind of competition.

The 360 is slowly getting a decent collection of JP friendly titles.
At some point it might actually reach critical mass, where there are enough games to actually get decent 360 sales.

Though saying the 360 could sell like the PS3 in JP just doesn't have the same shock value now as if you said that a year ago.

Top Bottom