• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6 Mar ~ 12 Mar

jarrod

Banned
Archie said:
BT 1 and 2 combined compared to Ruby and Sapphire combined.
Ruby/Sapphire are essentially the same game though. For a fair comparison, you'd have to compare Brain Training 1+2 with Pokemon RS+Emerald.

Does Nintendo make software forecasts as well? I'd love to see what they originally thought Animal Crossing and Brain Training would do.

ioi

Banned
jarrod said:
Hey ioi, how about doing a list of worldwide DS/PSP million sellers?

It already exists:

DS
http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/worldtotals.php?name=&console=DS&publisher=&sort=Total

Name Console Publisher Japan America Others Total
Nintendogs DS Nintendo 1.18 1.89 1.97 5.04
Mario Kart DS DS Nintendo 1.21 1.24 1.02 3.47
Super Mario 64 DS DS Nintendo 0.93 1.54 0.95 3.42
Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Nintendo 2.17 0.45 0.00 2.62
Wario Ware Touched DS Nintendo 0.98 0.45 0.38 1.81
Brain Training DS Nintendo 1.80 0.00 0.00 1.80
Brain Training 2 DS Nintendo 1.54 0.00 0.00 1.54
Brain Flex DS Nintendo 1.14 0.00 0.00 1.14

PSP
http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/worldtotals.php?name=&console=PSP&publisher=&sort=Total

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories PSP Take 2 0.00 0.82 0.85 1.67

:D :D

A month or two out of date now though...

jarrod

Banned
ioi said:
It already exists:

DS
http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/worldtotals.php?name=&console=DS&publisher=&sort=Total

Name Console Publisher Japan America Others Total
Nintendogs DS Nintendo 1.18 1.89 1.97 5.04
Mario Kart DS DS Nintendo 1.21 1.24 1.02 3.47
Super Mario 64 DS DS Nintendo 0.93 1.54 0.95 3.42
Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Nintendo 2.17 0.45 0.00 2.62
Wario Ware Touched DS Nintendo 0.98 0.45 0.38 1.81
Brain Training DS Nintendo 1.80 0.00 0.00 1.80
Brain Training 2 DS Nintendo 1.54 0.00 0.00 1.54
Brain Flex DS Nintendo 1.14 0.00 0.00 1.14

PSP
http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/worldtotals.php?name=&console=PSP&publisher=&sort=Total

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories PSP Take 2 0.00 0.82 0.85 1.67

:D :D

A month or two out of date now though...
Indeed... Tamagotchi DS should be up there now. I'd have thought Ridge Racer PSP had passed a million worldwide though?

Monorojo said:
Really people, DS Lite seems to be bringing so many people to the stores and with the shortages and all, PSP console sales saw a 33% boost last week and now we have 2 PSP titles in the top 10 when one fell off last week.

DS Lite isn't killing PSP like you all thought it would, its boosting its sales. Very ironic

To his defense, a competitor's surge (especially if supported with lots of marketing communication) can actually boost the whole category of a product (ie handhelds in our case). This is classic marketing theory - competition is not only the zero-sum game of marketshare.

Also imagewise in Japan it seems that all of a sudden it is "ok" to bring out a handheld on the train (I see this *a lot* more than I used to - in all age groups, mostly DSs (old style) but including some white PSPs...)

Monorojo

Banned
Ridge Racers PSP is at 260k US, and just around the same amount in Japan.

So it would have do have done 500k~ in Europe, dont think thats happened.

ethelred

Children of Mana is not a bomb; if it ends up with only around 200k sales in Japan, that is still a success. I would consider any game that has sold 200k in only region to have achieved a successful number of sales; note that while they are not truly outstanding numbers, and no one will confuse the game for a blockbuster game of BT/AC levels, they're still good, solid numbers.

The main reason disappointment is creeping in is because, while it is a success, I think there's a very justified train of thought that it could have and should have been a bigger success than what it's turning out to be. I'd say there are two things which hurt its sales potential: first, that it wound up being a different sort of game than what most had expected it to be (a dungeon crawler versus a standard Mana game); and second, the DSL shortages. If everyone who had lined up to buy a DSL on DSL/CoM launch day had succeeded in being able to get one -- or, at the very least, a substantial percentage of those who had done so -- I think it's certain that CoM would've launched far, far higher than it did.

It's unfortunate that the latter factor depressed the game's launch sales and ultimately limited its lifetime selling potential... and it's unfortunate that the game won't sell (in Japan) what many of us hoped it would (though yes, there is still the possibility, though faint, that it could demonstrate long legs and sell more than we're expecting right now). Regardless, though, 200k is still a success. Once worldwide figures get added in, Square Enix will likely be quite happy.

jett

D-Member
A Link to the Past said:
Yeah, I forgot, not saying that it is definite fact that Children of Mana will show long legs is the same as saying it will have long legs, period.

I said that people are assuming it will not have long legs, ignoring reality. Yeah, remember when the exact same thing was said with Slime MoriMori 2? No? Well, typically, Tools don't like to acknowledge reality. :)

Except that it dropped 80% in sales this week. I'll remember this post. :p

ioi

Banned
Unfortunately, CoM will not have any legs. It's a Square Enix game released during a non-holiday period. If it does 20k the next couple of weeks while DS Lite sales steady then that will be a bonus. I'm sorry people but it's gonna be 200k tops.

Jiggy

If I had the skills, I'd make a picture of the male character in the GBA Mario Tennis with a 20/20 stat in Side Spin and stick Monorojo's name on it. And/or an animated GIF involving the screw-spinning minigame.
He really makes me laugh every time, though. Thanks, man.

neo2046 said:
01 NDS Animal Crossing WW - 82,000 (2,117,000)
02 NDS Brain Age 2 - 71,000 (1,505,000)
03 PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 (Samurai Warrior) - 49,000 (474,000)
04 NDS English Training - 42,000 (617,000)
05 NDS Brain Age - 41,000 (1,683,000)
06 PS2 Gundam Climax UC - 34,000 (191,000)
07 NDS Seiken Densetsu CHILDREN of MANA - 27,000 (129,000)
08 PSP Valkyrie Profile Lenneth - 21,000 (91,000)
09 NDS Mario Kart DS - 19,000 (1,171,000)
10 PSP Monster Hunter Portable - 17,000 (558,000)
AC, Brain Age 2, English Training, Brain Age - yeah, just wow.

Children of Mana's performance is disheartening, but I'm guessing it has something to do with a lack of faith from the public in the series after they saw how Sword of Mana turned out. In that case, I can't blame them. It was better off on the GB classic.

Monorojo said:
show me someone who doesnt want a PSP, ill show yo someone who hates gaming period. Its just that they may be a bit suspicious of the product and when a much safer (and perhaps more fitting to their tastes) DS is avialable they will likely go with that instead.
Fitting tastes is the whole point. I don't care about realistic sports titles, racing, stealth action, or FPS games that rely almost completely on multiplayer. Once you take all that away, the PSP has Lumines and that's about it.

LanceStern said:
The only 3rd party game to break 300k in the US is Spider Man, and that was a launch title. That's horrible. Castlevania, Yugioh, Madden, Trauma Center (at least 200k), SOnic Rush, Kirby, Advance Wars, Tony Hawk, Phoenix Wright (at least 50,000), etc. should have done that. Though some of those I listed may not be EXTREMELY high quality or even on there, it would give the developers the idea that diverse and mainstream games can sell well, not just Nintendo's games.
Kirby and Advance Wars are Nintendo games. o_O

...And Kirby didn't deserve 300k anyway. *runs*

CoM is still the biggest "game" game to hit the DS in awhile, and with the sure to be huge DS sales coming in the next few weeks(DS lite actually becomes available) to help push DS software sales, I don't see why it shouldn't stick around on the charts for a bit longer.

And as the first Squeenix game to hit the DS in America, its going to kick some serious tail in the states, and Europe. Maybe it won't ever outsell Slimemorimori, but Squeenix can actually sell it outside of Japan, so its got that going for it.

Mrbob

Stopsign said:
Do I have to say anything?

PSP hardware sales are about to double when the crystal white PSP is introduced at 19,800 yen on April 15?

I wonder how much over the next couple weeks PSP hardware sales will slow down in anticipation of the pricedrop and new model and price drop.

Mrbob

Xbox 360 seems to be staying at a solid, if not spectacular, rate of around 1200 to 1300 sold per week for awhile now. Momentum?

Are psp sales up? Wasnt it selling an average of 25,000 units weekly before?

Yeah, PSP hardware sales have been slowly climbing. Last week it was around 41K, so about the same amount this week.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
tbh if it weren't for the incredible success the DS is riding now, the PSP is selling very well 40k units a week is not bad.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Error2k4 said:
tbh if it weren't for the incredible success the DS is riding now, the PSP is selling very well 40k units a week is not bad.
It doesn't really make sense to be honest considering the terrible software sales.

Beowvlf

Banned
Glad to see I.Q Mania and XI Colosseum make the Top 50. Barely made it, but it's looking more and more likely that this is the best we'll see many PSP games perform, no matter how good they are.

Monster Kingdom is still hanging on too; hopefully enough to secure an NA localization.

Top 50 System Breakdown:
DS -- 18 (note: 16 of these are in the Top 30... o_O)
PS2 -- 14
PSP -- 12
GBA -- 5
GC -- 1

Mrbob

Roders5 said:
It doesn't really make sense to be honest considering the terrible software sales.

PSP software sales are not terrible in Japan. They just aren't extraordinary like Nintendo developed and published DS software titles. That is the real star imo, how much software Nintendo themselves are selling on the DS.

Yamauchi said:
So when is the next DSL shipment coming? I thought it was supposed to be 400,000 for the first month.

The next shipment probably arrived yesterday (Thursday). We'll be able to better judge if Nintendo is going to meet their shipping target (it was 450k btw. ^^) with the next MC charts (when we'll see how much units Nintendo was able to ship).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
First 10 weeks.
DS '05 - 407,099
DS '06 - 549,429 (707,657 including DSL)

Error2k4 said:
Well it's doing worse than last year.

First 10 weeks.
PSP '05 - 536,476
PSP '06 - 452,626

Monorojo

Banned
Probationsmack said:
Are psp sales up? Wasnt it selling an average of 25,000 units weekly before?

Yes they are, and the primary reason? DS Lite.

No other reason, VP fell back a whole lot, yet PSP stays around the same....hmmm

BTW its pretty unfair to compare PSP this time last year vs this year. Last year PSP was riding the shortage from launch and the hype from launch.

Thbis time its riding just games alone and the amount of gamers brought in by the DS Lite.

Fuzzy

Monorojo said:
BTW its pretty unfair to compare PSP this time last year vs this year. Last year PSP was riding the shortage from launch and the hype from launch.

Thbis time its riding just games alone and the amount of gamers brought in by the DS Lite.
It's unfair? Then let me fix that for you and add the last four weeks of '04 to the first 10 weeks of '05 and add the last 4 weeks of '05 to the first 10 weeks of '06.

14 weeks
'04-'05 - 1,018,728
'05-'06 - 906,791

As you said, the PSP had shortages at launch and it still sold ~112K more than the last 14 weeks. :)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Fuzzy said:
It's unfair? Then let me fix that for you and add the last four weeks of '04 to the first 10 weeks of '05 and add the last 4 weeks of '05 to the first 10 weeks of '06.

14 weeks
'04-'05 - 1,018,728
'05-'06 - 906,791

As you said, the PSP had shortages at launch and it still sold ~112K more than the last 14 weeks. :)
[Monologic]But that was during the launch window where demand is going to be higher[/Monologic]

Fuzzy

Archie said:
[Monologic]But that was during the launch window where demand is going to be higher[/Monologic]
DS 5 weeks of December '04 - 1,495,596
DS 5 weeks of December '05 - 1,872,865

Damn the DS for bucking the trend.

It's amazing how consistent sales of the regular DS have been. Four weeks ago it was 52K, three weeks ago it was about 47K, two weeks ago it was about 47K, last week it was about 49K, and then this week it came in at around 48K. It hasn't dropped a bit in the last month, even with the release of the DSL.

Fuzzy

Great Rumbler said:
It's amazing how consistent sales of the regular DS have been. Four weeks ago it was 52K, three weeks ago it was about 47K, two weeks ago it was about 47K, last week it was about 49K, and then this week it came in at around 48K. It hasn't dropped a bit in the last month, even with the release of the DSL.
Because it's still selling every one Nintendo can ship.

Monorojo

Banned
DS is the exception. As you poeple have informed me its the best selling system practically in the history of Japan. If you compare any system to DS its going to look horrible, be it PSP this far in, GBA, or PS2.

You are raising your expectations for what DS is doing, and thats unfair for PSP which is in it's own right doing VERY well when the majority of this board and media said it was dead in the water in Japan.

The simple fact is PSP is simply following trends, launch = huge sales and demand = ultra high, be it shortages or not.

Also the difference isnt that big(especially considering DS sales that December), PSP said to have lost almost all of its momentum from laucnh is barely underperforming to what it did last year.

It shows PSP has more strength than anything else.

Stop trying to spin this into a bad sign for PSP.

Raw64life

Yea. Seems like Nintendo keeps producing 50k regular DS systems a week and they're constantly selling out regardless of the release of the DS lite.

Mrbob

Fuzzy said:

14 weeks
'04-'05 - 1,018,728
'05-'06 - 906,791

It is ok. PSP hardware sales are about to spike. :)

Leonsito

Code:
2 - 8 JAN	132.757
9 - 15 JAN	57.686
16 - 22 JAN	38.271
23 - 29 JAN	30.657
30 - 5 FEB	25.905
6 - 12 FEB	24.977
13 - 19 FEB	27.430
20 - 26 FEB	31.742
27 - 5 MAR	43.110
6 - 12 MAR	40.091

What I don't understand is what boosted the PSP last weeks, DSLite ??

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Leonsito said:
Code:
2 - 8 JAN	132.757
9 - 15 JAN	57.686
16 - 22 JAN	38.271
23 - 29 JAN	30.657
30 - 5 FEB	25.905
6 - 12 FEB	24.977
13 - 19 FEB	27.430
20 - 26 FEB	31.742
27 - 5 MAR	43.110
6 - 12 MAR	40.091

What I don't understand is what boosted the PSP last weeks, DSLite ??

The extra people in the stores from the DS Lite and Final Fantasy I would imagine.

Top Bottom