• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/30 - 8/5

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Japan. Not that it bombed there, but I have strong doubts it's ever going to pass WW there.

yea. but in the end, $ = $ right?

Miyamoto can say ZTP was 'dissapointing' in japan, but 'dissapointing' != poor

Especially considering its still the highest selling game on the Wii in Japan right now, over 500k cannot be deemed a failure by any means. Especially since its still full priced world wide, and WW has cruised at discounted price for awhile, no?

ZTP's overall success really can't be diminished

John Harker said:
yea. but in the end, $ = $ right?

Miyamoto can say ZTP was 'dissapointing' in japan, but 'dissapointing' != poor

Especially considering its still the highest selling game on the Wii in Japan right now, over 500k cannot be deemed a failure by any means. Especially since its still full priced world wide, and WW has cruised at discounted price for awhile, no?

ZTP's overall success really can't be diminished
Um. It's not the highest selling game on the Wii. It's like 3rd or 4th and it'll be 6th in a few weeks. I mean yeah, the game's obviously a worldwide success, but I think some people had higher hopes for it in Japan. As to whether any of those people are Nintendo execs, I haven't the slightest clue.

John Harker

Segata Sanshiro said:
Um. It's not the highest selling game on the Wii. It's like 3rd or 4th and it'll be 6th in a few weeks. I mean yeah, the game's obviously a worldwide success, but I think some people had higher hopes for it in Japan. As to whether any of those people are Nintendo execs, I haven't the slightest clue.

except Zelda is the number 1 selling Wii game in Japan by a pretty decent margin

http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/wii.php

So as far as game sales are concerned, I can't see them being that dissapointed considering it's their best game. Maybe they need to re-evaluate how games sell to the Wii marketbase in Japan ::shrug::

selig said:
Unexpected high sales for It´s a wonderful world. Thought it would do around 50k, being a brand new ip.

mutsu said:
I still don't quite understand how 110K in sales in its 2nd week can be considered a bomb. Fair enough their estimate is 200K but come on, this is a brand new franchise.

Baby Milo said:
Baby Milo
nice 2nd week for MnG

[QUOTE =C4Lukins]
Yay for Hot Shots. Boo for Oblivion. [/QUOTE]

Lucky said:
Wow, awesome results. IAWW, PH and DQS are all doing well this week!

Link316 said:
you're gonna do this again this week? look, publishers have their own sales expectations, its really not up to us to decide what's a failure or a success

I say again, WHERE WERE ALL OF YOU LAST WEEK IN THE MC THREAD? All this time i get jumped, and there's silent forumers nodding their head in agreement but not speaking up... madness I tell you!

Moku, I admit, I laughed.

John Harker said:
except Zelda is the number 1 selling Wii game in Japan by a pretty decent margin

So as far as game sales are concerned, I can't see them being that dissapointed considering it's their best game. Maybe they need to re-evaluate how games sell to the Wii marketbase in Japan ::shrug::
I-I don't get it? Are you doing that fucking annoying thing where Wii Sports and Wii Play don't count as games?

John Harker said:

Of course you'd have to be trying to make a pretty obvious point there by posting that link clearly showing Zelda at #3...

KINGMOKU

LanceStern said:
I say again, WHERE WERE ALL OF YOU LAST WEEK IN THE MC THREAD? All this time i get jumped, and there's silent forumers nodding their head in agreement but not speaking up... madness I tell you!

Moku, I admit, I laughed.

I try.
and fail most of the time

Link316

Banned
LanceStern said:

I was eating popcorn

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
John Harker said:

John, Nintendo Zelda sold pretty good in Japan, it's obvious Nintendo was expecting way more. In the very least, I bet they were thinking they would surpass WW's LTD (In Japan) without much difficulty.

I think it's pretty much safe to conclude Nintendo will never attempt a TP level project ever again.

Segata Sanshiro said:

If I may....

Zelda TP is the best selling game on Wii. By game we mean, "not a non-game" or "not a $10 collection of minigames bundled with controllers, which has a genre of non-game".

So technically yes, Zelda TP is the best selling Wii game in Japan. And I didn't mean to say it bombed, it just sold drastically less than expected. It still did over 500k, which I'm happy with. Considering once again, it's the highest selling GAME on the Wii so far in Japan

*famitsu number

Oblivion said:
I think it's pretty much safe to conclude Nintendo will never attempt a TP level project ever again.

Which I think is the one true example a person who says "non-games are destroying our industry" has. A high budget, huge development cycle, nigh-perfect game developed and marketed for the Wii did drastically less than it's predecessors and expected.

it is then promptly embarassed because a $10 game and another Non-traditional game come and currently are outselling it 4 to 1. Nintendo sees this, and in turn releases a press statement on how they may need to consider the type of games they make. Effectively killing epic, long-development titles and opening the path to shorter, more casual, non-traditional games or different takes on beloved franchises.

Yes?

LanceStern said:
If I may....

Zelda TP is the best selling game on Wii. By game we mean, "not a non-game" or "not a $10 collection of minigames bundled with controllers, which has a genre of non-game".

So technically yes, Zelda TP is the best selling Wii game in Japan. And I didn't mean to say it bombed, it just sold drastically less than expected. It still did over 500k, which I'm happy with. Considering once again, it's the highest selling GAME on the Wii so far in Japan

*famitsu number
albundyscreamjh4.gif

ginban_kaleidoscope.gif

42ktws5.gif

killerbunnies.gif

sonicr.gif

Joe Molotov

LanceStern said:
If I may....

*famitsu number

Which I think is the one true example a person who says "non-games are destroying our industry" has. A high budget, huge development cycle, nigh-perfect game developed and marketed for the Wii did drastically less than it's predecessors and expected.

it is then promptly embarassed because a $10 game and another Non-traditional game come and currently are outselling it 4 to 1. Nintendo sees this, and in turn releases a press statement on how they may need to consider the type of games they make. Effectively killing epic, long-development titles and opening the path to shorter, more casual, non-traditional games or different takes on beloved franchises.

Yes?

massiverolleyes.gif

LanceStern said:
If I may....

*famitsu number

Yes?

yes. just had to stop by to support this idea

AniHawk

LanceStern said:
If I may....

68220r6.gif

4y0k3v4.gif

4or46f6.gif

Sharp

Hey guys? Zelda:TP was not a bomb anywhere, it has sold considerably more than ****ing Gears of War and Wind Waker. In what world is over five million copies worldwide in nine months without a price cut "bomba"? Seriously.

John Harker

Oblivion said:
John, Nintendo Zelda sold pretty good in Japan, it's obvious Nintendo was expecting way more. In the very least, I bet they were thinking they would surpass WW's LTD (In Japan) without much difficulty.

I know, that's why I'm in denial :(

I think the 'hiatus' of Project HAMMER - while not as big a budget title by any means - and the focus of E3 on Wii Fitness and that ilk is another strong indicator that your statement holds a lot of water.

bummer. As big of a fan of Nintendo products as I am, the Wii's still failed to live up to its promises (so far) as far as I'm concerned ::shrug::
And after getting unfiltered access behind doors at E3, the future aint look too rosy neither

Sharp said:
Hey guys? Zelda:TP was not a bomb anywhere, it has sold considerably more than ****ing Gears of War and Wind Waker. In what world is over five million copies worldwide in nine months without a price cut "bomba"? Seriously.
A) Not a bomba, but underperformed.
B) IN JAPAN. THE TERRITORY THIS THREAD IS CONCERNED WITH.

Sharp said:

Since WiiFit all Wii games have been a bomb, obviously...

DISCLAIMER:

I don't fully support the kind of thinking the "non games are killing games" people have, but I was just saying, if there was a good example for them to support their argument with, the Zelda TP/Wii Sports/Play is a good one.

Speevy it's funny, because just last generation I was doing this for Nintendo, only to an extent where I was making topics about it, and spinnning numebrs in favor of Nintendo (By the Numbers it was called on GameFAQs). And I'm still a Nintendo-only system guy.

I like supporting the underdog I think. And I don't have much problem expressing the dissenting opinion.

Sharp

Segata Sanshiro said:
A) Not a bomba, but underperformed.
B) IN JAPAN. THE TERRITORY THIS THREAD IS CONCERNED WITH.
Elebits is a bomba. Zelda is not. And people are trying to say that Nintendo won't attempt an epic project like TP again because of the sales, but Nintendo is a worldwide operation.

Yeah, didn't see that coming...

I expect Nintendo's market cap to keep doubling over the next few years as long as they can get some people here to keep twisting themselves into a ball like this.

So how about this serious question.

If showed anyone in the real world a video of Wii Sports, or even had them play Wii Sports, and then asked them "is this a game" what percentage of them do you think would say yes?

And alternatively, how many people in Japan do you think bought Wii Sports because they thought it wasn't a game?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
LanceStern said:

Yes?

Wait what? No, they'll still continue Zelda but not on the scale of TP. Probably half of the dungeons, give or take a dungeon.

John Harker

AceBandage said:
Since WiiFit all Wii games have been a bomb, obviously...

Isn't it great that Big Brain Academy Wii has done poorly in both NA and Japan?
Ha! take that, Nintendo. Keep your trainers for your casual DS gamers

Speevy

Banned
I love supporting the underdog too.

But for one system to win a region, there have to be a number of "pieces" in place.

Systems that dominate the hardware charts in Japan typically hold the majority of software slots with consistency from week to week.

KINGMOKU

Oblivion said:

Holy SHIT. Please tell me your joking.

PLEASE.

Well when it was first out in it's upcoming months it was STRUGGLING to do 350k. This was the time where this massively hyped game was supposed to usher in the Wii age, and the first time Nintendo launched with a Zelda title. It was supposed to sell millions.

It struggles for 350k, and a lot of people say it's a bomb, and a lot of people justified its sales. It was 50/50 I think. I was disappointed if it mattered. All this in the face of Wii Sports and Wii Play outselling it week after week. Embarssaing it.

They were just laughing an dmocking, mocking and laughing at Zelda, as it ate their dust. Now he'll never be launched with a Nintendo sysem again. He had a chance to prove his worth as Mario has done so many times and as Luigi proved for the Gamecube. And he disappointed.

Outrageous, scandolous, disgusting.

But now it's crawled it's way to a very respectable 500k. Considering it was supposed to sell a million or more it's still a disappointment, not a bomb. But I'm happy with it now, because half a million is still good for Japan only, considering how the market is right now: obsessed with non-traditional games

sphinx

the piano man
I somehow believed Dewy would make an appearance but no, the bomba was for real.

and it is frightning, how hard can a solid effort bomb.

at this point I guess it hasn't passed 5k.

:(

Zelda has just made a comeback in Japan, amazing. It may surpass ocarina of time, right?

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know, I actually just fucking give up trying to explain this one.

In TP's defense, as a launch title it was left in the shadow of Wii Sports, and since sales in Japan tend to be very front-loaded, it was left trying to get as many sales as possible to an anemic userbase.

AniHawk

sphinx said:
I somehow believed Dewy would make an appearance but no, the bomba was for real.

and it is frightning, how hard can a solid effort bomb.

at this point I guess it hasn't passed 5k.

:(

Zelda has just made a comeback in Japan, amazing. It may surpass ocarina of time, right?

If it has Mario Kart legs, I can see it happening.

LanceStern said:
Well when it was first out in it's upcoming months it was STRUGGLING to do 350k. This was the time where this massively hyped game was supposed to usher in the Wii age, and the first time Nintendo launched with a Zelda title. It was supposed to sell millions.

It struggles for 350k, and a lot of people say it's a bomb, and a lot of people justified its sales. It was 50/50 I think. I was disappointed if it mattered. All this in the face of Wii Sports and Wii Play outselling it week after week. Embarssaing it.

They were just laughing an dmocking, mocking and laughing at Zelda, as it ate their dust. Now he'll never be launched with a Nintendo sysem again. He had a chance to prove his worth as Mario has done so many times and as Luigi proved for the Gamecube. And he disappointed.

Outrageous, scandolous, disgusting.

But now it's crawled it's way to a very respectable 500k. Considering it was supposed to sell a million or more it's still a disappointment, not a bomb. But I'm happy with it now, because half a million is still good for Japan only, considering how the market is right now: obsessed with non-traditional games

facepalm.jpg

Speevy

Banned
Also, belittling titles like Wii Sports as something less than actual games has the opposite effect than the detractors are intending.

It actually makes games like Hot Shots Golf 5 look like stale, forced remnants of an era in which sequels were expected to reinvigorate Playstation hardware sales.

It's never, ever going to happen. Not in Japan.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
rakka said:
Nongame, minigames, same thing.

But minigame collections have been around since before the NES! Did you tell the makers of the Atari game that was baseball/football/and basketball that their creation couldn't be counted as a game?

Top Bottom