• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/10-9/16 2007

ethelred

Vic said:
You forgot Atlus...

No I didn't.

charlequin said:
This is reeeeeeeally dependent on supply. FF4 is, I suspect, a more popular game than FF3, and FF3 itself would have sold dramatically better had the supply been available for it to do so.

They're also doing a lot more for the remake of 4 -- voice acting, better graphics, more involvement from veteran developers within Square Enix (where FF3 was mostly Tanaka, 4 has Ito and Tokita working on it), etc.

I expect a bigger marketing push (and FF3's was nothing to cough at) and I think with all they're doing, it'll be more popular, too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Pureauthor said:
Enjoy? Man, some of you have really personal stakes in the whole system wars thing, huh?
I'm not the one saying PSP will be bombarded in the future. All I said is let's enjoy the point of this topic, PSP SALES. Nothing more, nothing less.

EDIT - Of course this is the whole of Japan, and PSP did well. So most will talk about that.

ziran said:
Amazing PSP sales, and very good CC:FF sales, but lower than expected for the amount of hw sold. It should get to ~800K pretty easily, and could sell a million, but it's going to need legs.

Strikers has sold poorly and will be lucky to break 100K, unless it gets some staying power as the end of year approaches. Housekeeping Diary is doing well and could be a big holiday gift.

I think the most interesting thing the recent Japanese charts have shown is the need for Nintendo's internally developed sw in Japan. 3rd parties can create games for specific markets, but, overall, are useless at bridging the gap the way Nintendo does to create the broad appeal, consistent system sellers, even though Nintendo has shown them the way, so to speak.

Without new titles from their internal teams their platforms stagnate, it really is that simple. Nintendo cannot rely on 3rd parties because they just don't get it, to the extent left to 3rd parties, market expansion wouldn't happen.

I think PS3 WE and DW could struggle. WE because it's available on PS2 and DW because that kind of gaming is continuing to decline. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo release something big, like Wii Fit or SSBB, on Nov 22 to take the attention away from Sony as much as possible.

I don't think PSP Slim has given the system much momentum in sw sales. It looks like it's primarily selling to existing PSP owners, which is expected with every revision to an extent.

Also, I can't see CC:FF being any kind of incentive for developers because it's too specific a title. It's a new game, with a big budget, 2-3+ years in development and is based on a hugely popular PS1 franchise (within a franchise). Most developers will be put off by this rather than encouraged when DS sw sales are good for 3rd parties and the system is so much cheaper and quicker to develop on.

PSP is suffering from the same sw problems GC had, certain titles sell well, but overall sw sales are poor and the competition is much more viable. There's no question about PSP being a success, just not so much as a gaming handheld for UMD titles.

Good analysis, as always. Next week will be the REAL test. If PSP is really, as you said, selling primarly to old PSP owners, then it will slow down very fast. Otherwise, its market is definitely in expansion.

My guess is something in the middle. There are 250k+ PSP sold this week and ~180k CCFF7 and ~80k MGSO+. The latter make me thing that old owners bought it alongside with the new PSP (because it's an expansion). CCFF7 probably is not only selling to old PSP owners, but to new one too.

Next week, probably PSP will still be above 100k and under 150k, which is still impressing. Software will slowly slow down either. And then, if nothing new will come out, DS and Wii will not change or they should not change.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
LiquidMetal14 said:
All I said is let's enjoy the point of this topic, PSP SALES. Nothing more, nothing less.
The problem with this though is that there is absolutely nothing software wise to keep it up, it'll just drop back down to it's usual rate. We're just being the logical pessimistics / Nintendo fanboys (on how you determine it) and looking 2-3 weeks into the future.

LiquidMetal14

speedpop said:
The problem with this though is that there is absolutely nothing software wise to keep it up, it'll just drop back down to it's usual rate. We're just being the logical pessimistics / Nintendo fanboys (on how you determine it) and looking 2-3 weeks into the future.
I don't know what causes people to put down another systems success but I can agree with your point to an extent. And piracy really kills too. It needs those high profile games, like CC. If anything, games like Crisis Core prove that the PSP can produce a fast mover.

test_account said:
Since Media Create list the 2 Pokémon games as 2 separate games FF will still be #1 on Media Create tho ;) (unless one of the Pokémon games sold more than FF of course).

You're right, but, at the end, they're the same games...

teepo

speedpop said:

mina golf 2 comes out oct 4th i believe.

These PSP numbers could have a funny side effect. For a while I've been watching the PS3/Wii numbers in relation to the PSP/DS numbers, to see when their ratios match up. With some recent decent PS3 weeks and mediocre Wii weeks, it hasn't been moving towards the PSP/DS ratio. However, now the PSP/DS ratio has reversed its direction for a few weeks. So perhaps the meetup will happen soon after all, but closer to 24.5/75.5 than 23.5/76.5 like I was expecting.
Smiles and Cries said:
its kinda sad because PSP could have finally had its own PAC-MAN chart
Ooh, yes, I'll be sure to post one tomorrow.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Let people enjoy PSP success.
Yes, guys, stop the regular speculation and predictions so those reading a sales thread to bask in a number don't have to face shadows.

mepaco

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm not the one saying PSP will be bombarded in the future. All I said is let's enjoy the point of this topic, PSP SALES. Nothing more, nothing less.

EDIT - Of course this is the whole of Japan, and PSP did well. So most will talk about that.

The point of this topic is sales, not just PSP sales. Every platform will have its high weeks (and many "good for _____" remarks) and they will have their down weeks (with many DOOM predictions) but there isn't anything wrong with somebody predicting it won't have many high weeks between now and the end of the year. There would be very little point to these threads if all we did was congratulate the leader for that week. The discussion and predictions are what make it interesting.

jarrod

Banned
slaughterking said:
And Level 5?
And MMV? And Takara Tomy?

Atlus has done okay on DS so far though, both Trauma Center and Etrian Odyssey being decent successes for new IPs (and much moreso worldwide). The real test will be when they finally deliver a full fledged Megaten though...

speedpop

teepo said:
mina golf 2 comes out oct 4th i believe.
True but I've had my fill of golf games for the time being.

Another question I want to raise is this:

Are Sony going to get rid of the old PSP design or sell it alongside the Slim PSP? As piracy isn't viable on the Slim as far as I know (yet). Surely it might incorporate some sense of software spikes on certain titles for those virgins jumping in on their first PSP and opting for a Slim.

Laguna

Banned
charlequin said:
This is reeeeeeeally dependent on supply. FF4 is, I suspect, a more popular game than FF3, and FF3 itself would have sold dramatically better had the supply been available for it to do so.

You can argue that FF3 was it´s first re-release after the original game on NES. On the other hand we have FFIV that was redone for Wonderswan(?), PSX and GBA.

I won´t deny its potential to sell more than part 3 but I´m not an optimist. It may achieve FF3 level of sales (800k-1mio maybe even less 600k-750k). This time around there is just to much competition - DQ4 and ToI say hi, let alone other consoles.

LiquidMetal14

mepaco said:
The point of this topic is sales, not just PSP sales. Every platform will have its high weeks (and many "good for _____" remarks) and they will have their down weeks (with many DOOM predictions) but there isn't anything wrong with somebody predicting it won't have many high weeks between now and the end of the year. There would be very little point to these threads if all we did was congratulate the leader for that week. The discussion and predictions are what make it interesting.
Great points. The only thing I was pointing out was that there are those who do not like other competing platforms, and those are easier to spot here.

Jokeropia

ethelred said:
Nope and nope. Based on the bar being set for success vis a vis that PSP comment, neither of these companies are successful. Not a shock, though.
Rocket Company, Level 5 and IE Institute would still qualify given that bar of success, though. Throw in Koei in the PSP camp and you can give DS another half a dozen.

speedpop

Laguna said:
You can argue that FF3 was it´s first re-release after the original game on NES. On the other hand we have FFIV that was redone for Wonderswan(?), PSX and GBA.
I hate to pick on you again, but there's a difference between "port" and "remake". Most people are banking on FFIV to do extremely well merely because of it's remake status, coupled that with the developers stating they are wanting to invest a lot of the material they had to cut from the final product back in for the remake.

As for Level 5's success. Wait for Inazuma and Layton sequel to hit and see what damage they do.

donny2112

Great numbers for the PSP! The chart will probably look like December sales at the end of September. :lol CC:FF7, if Jonnyram's numbers are correct, looks to be finishing right around my 750K prediction or a tad higher. :) The earlier, false, numbers were making me think I way underpredicted CC:FF7. :p

Wii numbers are very disturbing. Software slump, slow month, whatever. To me it just looks like Japan is getting tired of Wii Sports at the moment. The hardcore games (SMG, SSBB) will help it the way hardcore games usually do (bump for a few weeks; see: GameCube and PS3), but Nintendo really needs Wii Fit to take off to bring the Wii back to former, soldout, levels. The expanded audience stuff is what will propel the Wii most consistently and not the next iterations of GameCube titles. Nintendo did a Brain Training 2 within a year of Brain Training 1, so I think Iwata made a really dumb mistake to forego a "More Wii Sports" title coming out this fall. It would be "easy," yes, but it would also serve well to prop the expanded audience on the Wii in case Wii Fit isn't an instant hit.

PS3, PS2, 360; nothing new here. I find it interesting that sinobi wonders whether the PS3 will get back to 4-digit sales again. I had thought it found a new "floor" in the 12-13K range.

Raw64life

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Sept 17-23:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1210814_1124.html

1. [NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2
2. [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7
3. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid PO +
4. [Wii] Mario Strikers Charged
5. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn!!
6. [Wii] Mario Party 8
7. [PS2] Kiniro no Corda 2 Anchor
8. [PS2] Another Century's Episode 3: The Final
9. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid PO + (Deluxe Pack)
10. [NDS] Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Ring of Fates

Has to be some kind of record for fewest DS titles in the top 10.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
Wii numbers are very disturbing. Software slump, slow month, whatever. To me it just looks like Japan is getting tired of Wii Sports at the moment. The hardcore games (SMG, SSBB) will help it the way hardcore games usually do (bump for a few weeks; see: GameCube and PS3), but Nintendo really needs Wii Fit to take off to bring the Wii back to former, soldout, levels. The expanded audience stuff is what will propel the Wii most consistently and not the next iterations of GameCube titles. Nintendo did a Brain Training 2 within a year of Brain Training 1, so I think Iwata made a really dumb mistake to forego a "More Wii Sports" title coming out this fall. It would be "easy," yes, but it would also serve well to prop the expanded audience on the Wii in case Wii Fit isn't an instant hit.

To me that's the bottom line. The Wii went through a big lull earlier in the year with little or no releases and sales were still stellar, so I don't completely buy the no games excuse- I think you're correct that after nearly a year the audience wants something new besides Wii Sports.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Nope and nope. Based on the bar being set for success vis a vis that PSP comment, neither of these companies are successful. Not a shock, though.
What PSP comment? What's the benchmark?

Laguna

Banned
speedpop said:
I hate to pick on you again, but there's a difference between "port" and "remake". Most people are banking on FFIV to do extremely well merely because of it's remake status, coupled that with the developers stating they are wanting to invest a lot of the material they had to cut from the final product back in for the remake.

As for Level 5's success. Wait for Inazuma and Layton sequel to hit and see what damage they do.

Yes there can be a huge difference between ports and remakes especially for older Final Fantasys. That´s the reason why I and many other fans will buy Final Fantasy 4. But regardless if FF3 or FF4 will actually sell more in the end FF3 took advantage of the simple fact that it wasn´t released for consoles/portables past NES and was completely new for many people including myself. I agree that FF3 could have sold alot more if SQEX didn´t underestimate demand but we´ll never know for sure what impact this mismanagement had on FF3 LTD in reality.

ethelred

One thing we know is that FF4 needs to sell more than FF3 to be considered as successful. FF3 set the bar -- with FF4, Square Enix is raising that bar. There's a much higher money and staff commitment involved this time around, and I think there'll be a much stronger marketing push, so they're going to expect commensurate sales increases. It needs to move more than a million.

If it fails, we might not get that Ito-directed & -designed Final Fantasy V. And no one wants that to happen, right?

The aniticpation level for FFIII DS was particularly high because it was the sole FF game not to have been revisited out of the Famicom/Super Famicom ones, so its release was a big deal. I think that's one advantage it has over FFIV (which saw a GBA re-release not too long ago); still I think FFIV is more in line with what people expect out of a FF game these days and like you say, it should be given a bigger marketing push and likely won't suffer from the shortage problems of FFIII, so it should sell at the very least as much as FFIII.

Unless of course, Tales of Innocence steals its thunder. I kid, I kid.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
There's a lot of "Final" in that charts.
I think theres some irony to be found there.

Did FFCCROF surpass the original yet?

Laguna said:

Given how thorough this remake is, I don't actually think that matters at all. FFIVDS is practically a brand new game, is lovingly re-rendered in 3d, has a new battle system design by Ito and a story fleshed out based on excised portions of the original script -- it's definitely enough that fans of the game will feel compelled to give it a try.

I won´t deny its potential to sell more than part 3 but I´m not an optimist. It may achieve FF3 level of sales (800k-1mio maybe even less 600k-750k). This time around there is just to much competition - DQ4 and ToI say hi

ToI is from a much less popular series and coming off the bad vibes of TotT. DQ4 will do well but I really don't see any reason why it and FF4 can't coexist -- people regularly buy more than one game during the holiday season, and these are probably the DS' two biggest titles.

600k-750k is crazy talk. There's no way (barring, once again, supply shenanigans) it'll sell that little.

let alone other consoles.

:lol at the idea that "other consoles" are going to compete with the DS' AAA holiday titles.

ethelred

John Harker said:
There's a lot of "Final" in that charts.
I think theres some irony to be found there.

Did FFCCROF surpass the original yet?

Nope. Very close, though, and it'll definitely wind up a good 30, 40k (maybe more) above it in the end.

Code:
Crystal Chronicles		GCN  	355,470
Crystal Chronices: RoF		NDS	353,000

charlequin said:
ToI is from a much less popular series and coming off the bad vibes of TotT.

Yeah.. though on the topic of Tempest: just like FFIV ups the ante over FFIII, so does Innocence. It needs to perform substantially better than Tempest for Namco's investment here to be worthwhile. I mean, they're not just saying "Here's another real Tales game," they're saying this is the franchise's new system (and based on the trailer, doing a good job delivering on this being a true Tales game) -- it needs to deliver in sales.

Anything under 500k is very very bad.

charlequin said:
:lol at the idea that "other consoles" are going to compete with the DS' AAA holiday titles.

FFIV, DQIV, Tales of Innocence, ASH, FFT A2, Professor Layton 2... it's a killer lineup. Absolutely the tops across all the systems through the end of the year.

donny2112 said:
Wii numbers are very disturbing. Software slump, slow month, whatever. To me it just looks like Japan is getting tired of Wii Sports at the moment.

I think that's a reasonable conclusion, yes.

Nintendo really needs Wii Fit to take off to bring the Wii back to former, soldout, levels.

Pretty much. It's good for them that they have Wii Fit.

I think Iwata made a really dumb mistake to forego a "More Wii Sports" title coming out this fall. It would be "easy," yes, but it would also serve well to prop the expanded audience on the Wii in case Wii Fit isn't an instant hit.

I'm surprised that more of the compilation projects we saw at e3'06 aren't ready to hit yet. I expect Wii Music, Wii Motorsports, etc. to all do a lot to boost the system, and I honestly expected to see at least one of them already out well before the Wii's one-year anniversary.

PS3, PS2, 360; nothing new here. I find it interesting that sinobi wonders whether the PS3 will get back to 4-digit sales again. I had thought it found a new "floor" in the 12-13K range.

If the 360 and the GC are any indication, the floors on underperforming systems degrade reasonably quickly in the absence of new desirable titles.

ethelred said:
Yeah.. though on the topic of Tempest: just like FFIV ups the ante over FFIII, so does Innocence. It needs to perform substantially better than Tempest for Namco's investment here to be worthwhile. I mean, they're not just saying "Here's another real Tales game," they're saying this is the franchise's new system (and based on the trailer, doing a good job delivering on this being a true Tales game) -- it needs to deliver in sales.

Anything under 500k is very very bad.

I agree, and (assuming the game actually reflects the serious effort Namco claims it does) I'm definitely hoping it will put up such numbers. Given that Tempest hit 200k I think 500k is doable with a good marketing push. Though Tales has had a lot of spinoffs and remakes, this is the first "real" "new" "full" game since Abyss in December 2005.

But, yeah, I don't think it's "competition" for FF4.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
One thing we know is that FF4 needs to sell more than FF3 to be considered as successful. FF3 set the bar -- with FF4, Square Enix is raising that bar. There's a much higher money and staff commitment involved this time around, and I think there'll be a much stronger marketing push, so they're going to expect commensurate sales increases. It needs to move more than a million.

If it fails, we might not get that Ito-directed & -designed Final Fantasy V. And no one wants that to happen, right?
You think they put more money into that than CC:FFVII?

iidesuyo

charlequin said:
Pretty much. It's good for them that they have Wii Fit.

I don't think WiiFit will have the same impact as WiiSports. Nintendo should bundle WiiSports with the console and/or lower the price. They need to sell as many Wii now as they can, the PS3 won't stay in a state of apathy forever. Sooner or later the PS3 price drops and high quality games arrive.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
charlequin said:
I agree, and (assuming the game actually reflects the serious effort Namco claims it does) I'm definitely hoping it will put up such numbers. Given that Tempest hit 200k I think 500k is doable with a good marketing push. Though Tales has had a lot of spinoffs and remakes, this is the first "real" "new" "full" game since Abyss in December 2005.

But, yeah, I don't think it's "competition" for FF4.

Bingo, this is the first real tales game since Abyss and it is on the highest selling platform at the moment. It would be a shame if it didn't do 500k.

jj984jj

Pureauthor said:
Maybe not, but wouldn't FFIIIDS be the better comparison regardless?
No, like many have pointed out, FFIII hasn't even been ported or remade in 20 years while FFIV has. I'm sure the success of FFIII is what caused this remake of FFIV, but I'm not sure why they would expect it to sell 1 million knowing the amount of versions they've released over the years, especially with the GBA port just being released 2 years ago. That said, I'm also betting that this game doesn't have a higher budget than CC:FFVII and that similar success should be more than enough to satisfy S-E to give the go to another project. Unlike with CC I hope we get shipment numbers beforehand though, so we have a better idea of how S-E expects it to perform them-selves.

Lightning

Banned
jarrod said:
Current JP lineups for the rest of the year...

Nintendo DS
09.27 Bartender DS (EA)
09.27 Eiken DS (Rocket Company)
09.27 Itsudemo Doko Demo: Onita Atsushi no Seiji Quiz DS (Milestone)
09.27 Jigoku Shoujo: Akekazura (Compile Heart)
09.27 Kokoro o Yasumeru Otona no Nurie DS 2 (Ertain)
09.27 Mitsukete! Keroro Gunsou: Machigai Sagashi Daisakusen de arimasu! (BNGI)
09.27 Picto Image DS (SEGA)
09.27 Simple DS Series Vol. 23: The Puzzle Quest: Agaria no Kishi (D3)
09.27 Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisecchi: Mina San Kyu (BNGI)
09.27 Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin: KanKen DS 2 + Jouyou Kanji Jiten (Rocket Company)
10.04 ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat (Nintendo)
10.04 DS:Style Series: Anata Dake no Private Lesson: DS de Hajimeru: Tipness no Yoga (Square Enix)
10.04 DS:Style Series: Chikyuu no Arukikata DS: Hawaii-Hen (Square Enix)
10.04 DS:Style Series: Chikyuu no Arukikata DS: New York-Hen (Square Enix)
10.04 DS:Style Series: Chikyuu no Arukikata DS: Taiwan-Hen (Square Enix)
10.04 Koharu no DS Uchigohan. Shokuji Balance Guide Tsuki (Comolink)
10.04 Oshare Koinu DS (MTO)
10.04 Simple DS Series Vol. 24: The Sensha (D3)
10.10 Tashiten: Tashite 10 ni Suru Monogatari (Nintendo)
10.11 DS Nishimura Kyotaro Suspense Shin Tantei Series: Kyoto Atami Zekkai no Kotou: Satsui no Wana (Tecmo)
10.11 Koukou Juken: Eitango Get Through 1900: Eitan Zamurai DS (Educational Network)
10.11 Namco Museum DS (BNGI)
10.11 Osumitsuki Series: Matsuda Tadanori Onsen Kyouju Kanshuu: Zenkoku DokoDemo Onsen Techou (MMV)
10.11 Osumitsuki Series: Shokusai Roman Katei de Dekiru! Chomeijin: Yuumei Ryourinin no Original Recipe (MMV)
10.11 Otona no DS Mystery: Idumi Jiken File (Interchannel)
10.11 Oubunsha Deru-Jun: Koumin DS (IE Intstitute)
10.11 Oubunsha Deru-Jun: Sansuu DS (IE Intstitute)
10.18 Banushi Life Game: Winners Circle (Genki)
10.18 DS Bunagku Zenshuu (Nintendo)
10.18 Saeki Chizu Shiki Yumemihada: Dream Skincare (Konami)
10.18 Sansuu Puzzle de Migaku: Gakken Otona no Shikou Sense (Gakken)
10.18 Sonic Rush Adventure (SEGA)
10.25 Apathy: Narugami Gakuen Toshi Densetsu Tantei Kyoku (ASN)
10.25 Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch (BNGI)
10.25 Crossword DS + Sekai 1-Shuu Cross (Hudson)
10.25 DS Dengeki Bunko: Iria no Sora, UFO no Natsu I-II Complete Box (Media Works)
10.25 DS Dengeki Bunko: Iria no Sora, UFO no Natsu II (Media Works)
10.25 Dungeon Maker: Mahou no Shovel to Chiisa na Yuusha (Global A)
10.25 Eigo o Taberu Fushigi na Ikimono Marsh (Dimple)
10.25 ESSE Shikkari Kakeibo DS (IE Institute)
10.25 Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Fuuketsu no Grimoire (Square Enix)
10.25 Illust Logic DS + Colorful Logic (Hudson)
10.25 Keiba Navi: Uma no Suke 2 (Starfish SD)
10.25 Kouenji Joshi Soccer 2: Koi wa Nebagiba Kouenji (Starfish SD)
10.25 Mainichi Happy! Ayanokouji Kimimaro no Life Kit (Doart)
10.25 Maru Kaite DonDon Oboeru: Kyoui no Tsugawa Shiki Kanji Kioku Jutsu: Kiso Gakushuu Hen (Ertain)
10.25 Mensetsu no Tatsujin: Tenshoku-Hen (Success)
10.25 Sekai no Shougi (Success)
10.25 Simple DS Series Vol. 25: The Koushounin (D3)
10.25 Sugar Bunnies DS: Yume no Sweets Koubou (Takara Tomy)
10.25 Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (Koanmi)
10.25 The Frogman Show: DS Datte, Shouganaijanai (Compile Heart)
10.25 Tomodachi Tsukurou! Mahou no Koukan Nikki (Ertain)
11.01 Dragon Tamer: Sound Spirits (BNGI)
11.01 San Goku Shi DS 2 (Koei)
11.01 Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Koushiki Soft: 250-Mannin no KanKen (IE Institute)
11.08 Katei no Igaku: DS de Kitaeru Shokuzai Kenkou Training (Rocket Company)
11.08 Mario Party DS (Nintendo)
11.08 Ryoukiki no Susume (Taito)
11.08 Yosumin. DS (Square Enix)
11.11 Kodai Ouja: Kyouryuu King: 7-tsu no Kakera (SEGA)
11.15 Cooking Mama 2 (Taito)
11.15 Dungeon Explorer: Jashin no Ryouiki (Hudson)
11.15 Famista DS (BNGI)
11.15 Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou (BNGI)
11.15 HameKomi Lucky Puzzle DS (Yuke's)
11.15 Karada Yorokobu Shokuji & Exercise: Kenkou Kentei (Yudo)
11.15 Snoopy to Issho ni DS Eigo Lesson (Interchannel)
11.22 Japan Chou Kantan Boki Nyuumon DS (IE Institute)
11.22 Dragon Quest IV: Michibikareshi Monotachi (Square Enix)
11.22 Harry Potter to Fushichou no Kishidan (EA)
11.22 Juushin Enbu DS (D3)
11.22 Nazotte Oboeru Otona no Kanji Renshuu Kanzenhan (NOW)
11.22 Nounai Aesthe: IQ Suppli DS 2: Sukkiri King Ketteisen (Spike)
11.22 Ryuusei no RockMan 2: Berserk x Dinosaur (Capcom)
11.22 Ryuusei no RockMan 2: Berserk x Shinobi (Capcom)
11.22 Sankei Sports Kanshuu: Wi-Fi Baken Yosou Ryoku Training: Umania 2007 Nendo-Han (Dimple)
11.22 Tornado (Success)
11.22 Unou Ikusei: IQ Breeder (MegaHouse)
11.22 Wantame Music Channel: Doko Demo Style (Capcom)
11.29 Catz 2: Daisuki Nyon Nyon Pack (Ubisoft)
11.29 Disney Princess: Mahou no Jewel (Disney)
11.29 Fukoumori: Moririi no Unhappy Project (BNGI)
11.29 Gouma Reifu Den Izuna Ni (Success)
11.29 Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore! Next (Konami)
11.29 Layton Kyouju to Akuma no Hako (Level 5)
11.29 Mainichi Shinbun 1000 Dai-News (SEGA)
11.29 Rekishi Gunsou Presents: Monoshiri Sengoku Ou (Global A)
11.29 Simple DS Series Vol. 26: The Quiz 30000-Mon (D3)
11.29 Tank Beat 2 Gekitotsu! Deutch-Gun vs. Rengougun (Milestone)
11.29 Yes! PreCure 5 (BNGI)
11.29 Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters: World Championship 2008 (Konami)
12.06 Arkanoid DS (Taito)
12.06 Boku to Sim no Machi: Resort ni Genki Otorimodosou! (EA)
12.06 Dai Zemi no Center Shoujun Series: Eigo Hen (ASK)
12.06 Gintama: Gin-Oh Quest (Banpresto)
12.06 Pororon! Dokomodake DS (AQI)
12.06 Power Pro Kun Pocket 10 (Konami)
12.06 Tales of Innocence (BNGI)
12.13 Daigaku Ekiden 2008 Hakone (SNK Playmore)
12.13 Ookiku Furika Butte: Honto no Ace ni Narerukamo (MMV)
12.20 Final Fantasy IV (Square Enix)
12.20 Tennis no Ojousama: Driving Smash! Side Genius (Konami)

PSP
09.27 Coded Arms: Contagion (Konami)
09.27 Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki SC (Falcom)
09.27 Simple 2500 Series Vol. 11: The Puzzle Quest: Agaria no Kishi (D3)
09.27 Wangan Midnight Portable (Genki)
09.27 Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force 2 (Konami)
10.04 Gundam Battle Chronicle (BNGI)
10.04 Minna no Golf Jou Vol. 3 (SCEI)
10.18 Kaitou Apricot Portable (Takuyo)
10.25 Air (Prototype)
11.08 Akumajou Dracula X Chronicle (Konami)
11.08 Minna no Golf Jou Vol. 4 (SCEI)
11.08 NBA Live 08 (EA)
11.15 Anata o Yurusanai (AQI)
11.15 Dungeon Explorer: Meiyaku no Tobira (Hudson)
11.29 Makai Senki Disgaea Portable: Tsuushin Taisen Hajime Mashita (NIS)
11.29 Xyanide Resurrection (Ertain)
12.06 Chronicle of Dungeon Maker 2 (Global A)
12.06 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (Capcom)
12.06 Silent Hill Zero (Konami)
12.20 Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku (BNGI)

Wii
09.27 Bass Fishing Wii: Rokumaru Densetsu (ASN)
09.27 Boku to Sim no Machi (EA)
09.27 Kekkaishi: Kokubourou no Kage (BNGI)
10.04 Dragon Ball Z: Sparking Meteor (BNGI)
10.04 Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2 Wii (Konami)
10.25 Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party (Konami)
10.25 Ghost Squad (SEGA)
10.25 Gintama: Banji Oku Chuubu (BNGI)
10.25 Simple Wii Series Vol. 1: The Minna de Kart Race (D3)
10.25 Simple Wii Series Vol. 2: The Minna de Bass Tsuri Taikai (D3)
10.25 Takarjima Z: Barbaros no Hihou (Capcom)
11.01 Opoona (Koei)
11.01 Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
11.08 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 (EA)
11.15 Biohazard: The Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom)
11.22 Dragon Blade (D3)
11.22 Gegege no Kitarou: Youkai Daiundoukai (BNGI)
11.29 Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX2 (Takara Tomy)
11.29 Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (Capcom)
11.29 Swing Golf Pangya 2nd Shot! (Tecmo)
12.06 Doraemon Wii: Himitsu Douguou Ketteisen! (SEGA)
12.06 Jinsei Game Wii (Takara Tomy)
12.06 No More Heroes (MMV)
12.13 Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure No Meikyuu (Square Enix)
12.13 NiGHTS: Hoshi Furu Yoru no Monogatari (SEGA)
12.13 Puchi Copter Wii: Adventure Flight (ASN)
12.13 Shikigami no Shiro 3 (ASN)
12.20 Deca Sporta (Hudson)
12.20 Lewis to Mirai Dorobou (Disney)

PlayStation 3
09.27 Agarest Senki (Compile Heart)
09.27 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Spike)
10.04 Warhawk (SCEI)
10.11 Rise from Lair (SCEI)
10.11 The Godfather: The Don's Edition (EA)
10.17 Spider-Man 3 (Spike)
10.25 Imabi Kisou (SEGA)
10.25 The Eye of Judgment: Bioloth Rebellion - Set.1 (SCEI)
11.01 G1 Jockey 4 2007 (Koei)
11.01 Railfan: Taiwan Takatetsu (Ongakukan)
11.08 NBA Live 08 (EA)
11.08 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (Ubisoft)
11.11 Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (SCEI)
11.15 Heavenly Sword (SCEI)
11.22 Remy no Oishii Restaurant (THQ)
11.22 Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Koei)
11.22 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami)
11.29 Tony Hawk's Project 8 (Spike)
12.06 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Disney)
12.07 Conan (THQ)
12.13 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (SCEI)
12.13 Stuntman: Ignition (THQ)
12.20 Medal of Honor: Airborne (EA)
12.20 Time Crisis 5 (BNGI)

Xbox 360
09.27 Halo 3 (MGS)
10.11 Operation Darkness (Success)
10.11 Project Gotham Racing 4 (MGS)
10.18 Beautiful Katamari Damacy (BNGI)
10.18 Zoids Alternative (Takara Tomy)
10.25 Blade Storm: Hyakunen Sensou (Koei)
10.25 Gundam Musou International (Koei)
11.01 Ace Combat 6: Kaihou e no Senka (BNGI)
11.08 Just Cause: Viva Revolution (EA)
11.08 Major League Baseball 2K7 (Spike)
11.08 Medal of Honor: Airborne (EA)
11.08 NBA Live 08 (EA)
11.22 Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Koei)
11.22 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami)
11.29 Apocalypse: Desire Next (Idea Factory)
11.29 Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
11.29 Guilty Gear 2 Overture (ASN)
11.29 Tony Hawk's Project 8 (Spike)
12.06 Conan (THQ)
12.06 Lost Odyssey (MGS)
12.06 Virtua Fighter 5 LIVE Arena (SEGA)
12.13 Shikigami no Shiro 3 (ASN)
12.13 Smash Court Tennis 3 (BNGI)
12.13 Stuntman Ignition (THQ)
This is very interesting but isn't Assassins Creed releasing on the PS3 as well in Japan? I only see it listed under the 360 line-up.

jarrod

Banned
Lightning said:
This is very interesting but isn't Assassins Creed releasing on the PS3 as well in Japan? I only see it listed under the 360 line-up.
It is, but there's no set date yet (unlike the 360 rev).

Maybe Microsoft bought a JP exclusivbity window on it? :lol

Lightning

Banned
jarrod said:
It is, but there's no set date yet (unlike the 360 rev).

Maybe Microsoft bought a JP exclusivbity window on it? :lol
Oh ok, don't know how that is meant to help 360 in Japan. The game is going to bomb in Japan no matter what console it's released on. :lol

The sales would have been better on the PS3 though, albeit only just, since the title is not one that appeals to Japan.

tehbear

charlequin said:
If the 360 and the GC are any indication, the floors on underperforming systems degrade reasonably quickly in the absence of new desirable titles.

I think you mean they hit their floor quicker? The 360 seems to floor at around 2000 units, this is true pre Blue Dragon, and post Blue Dragon. The PS3's seems to hover around its floor also. Unless an overwhelming incentive comes to bear, it will not change its floor levels. I still don't think either 360/PS3 floors are going to get any lower though, until a significant abandonment message comes through. It seems overoptimistic to even think one of the HD consoles can hit into the 40k a week range this holiday.

Wii titles' must-have presence allows to float above its floor levels for much longer durations and other factors gives it much higher ceilings. While Mario Party doesn't have the same long term boosting prowess of Wii Sports, it certainly last much longer than any title on the other two consoles. But I wouldn't think WiiFit is even necessary as I suspect Galaxy would have much much longer boosting powers than Mario Party. This is the one hardcore title that can last whereas Zelda/Metroid may not.

I wonder if Japan will truly wait until next generation to get on the HD bandwagon. It appears that way right now.

ksamedi

I'm curious how the DQ remake is going to do, it will probably move a lot of DS units even though 1/6 of Japan bought one already.

I think DS is losing steam because everybody has one already and it needs a price cut to maintain 100k -150k levels for next year. Wii just needs new games and it will probably stay this way till those games release. Smash and Wiifit combo could cause Wii to reach a steady 60 - 100k weekly numbers again.

tehbear said:
I think you mean they hit their floor quicker? The 360 seems to floor at around 2000 units, this is true pre Blue Dragon, and post Blue Dragon. The PS3's seems to hover around its floor also. Unless an overwhelming incentive comes to bear, it will not change its floor levels.

No, I mean that the floor level sinks away over time. After the Blue Dragon bump the 360 "stabilized" at a rate in the 3000s, and that's slowly eroded down to its current performance level. If it weren't for Lost Odyssey I expect it would continue to sink down even further.

Similarly, the "floor" for PS3 is at least as low as 9000; without new worthwhile releases I don't see any reason it wouldn't trend back down to that figure.

Eteric Rice

ksamedi said:
I'm curious how the DQ remake is going to do, it will probably move a lot of DS units even though 1/6 of Japan bought one already.

I think DS is losing steam because everybody has one already and it needs a price cut to maintain 100k -150k levels for next year. Wii just needs new games and it will probably stay this way till those games release. Smash and Wiifit combo could cause Wii to reach a steady 60 - 100k weekly numbers again.

I agree with this.

jj984jj said:
No, like many have pointed out, FFIII hasn't even been ported or remade in 20 years while FFIV has. I'm sure the success of FFIII is what caused this remake of FFIV, but I'm not sure why they would expect it to sell 1 million knowing the amount of versions they've released over the years, especially with the GBA port just being released 2 years ago.

Because those other rerelease versions didn't actually sell that much, being rereleases rather than actual upgraded remakes?

FFIVa sold less than 150k copies over its lifetime. So even if nobody who bought FFIVa buys the remake (an unlikely proposition) that's only 150k lost sales.

I think it's quite reasonable to suggest that the greater popularity of IV, the increased DS userbase, and the promise of huge amounts of brand-new content could counteract a <150k change in sales.

jj984jj

charlequin said:
Because those other rerelease versions didn't actually sell that much, being rereleases rather than actual upgraded remakes?

FFIVa sold less than 150k copies over its lifetime. So even if nobody who bought FFIVa buys the remake (an unlikely proposition) that's only 150k lost sales.

I think it's quite reasonable to suggest that the greater popularity of IV, the increased DS userbase, and the promise of huge amounts of brand-new content could counteract a <150k change in sales.
It's more hopeful thinking than it is reasonable thinking, I stand by what I said.

I don't think it'll reach the million mark, or if it does it won't be any faster than FFIII did.

Top Bottom