• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2015 (Mar 02 - Mar 08)

sörine

Banned
if DQXI is not a 3DS game, clearly a lot of people here will freak out
Seems like a pretty standard response for if DQ were not to go to the only successful mainstream system in it's only relevant market. Unless it were a smartphone game, then people would be freaking out for other less grounded reasons.

horuhe

Presumably:

June: Yokai Watch 3
September: Yokai Watch Co-op Battler
December: Yokai Watch 3: The Ogre
March 2016: Yokai Watch Co-op Battler: The Ogre
June 2016: Yokai Watch 4

This has to be a 4DS launch title. It fits chronologically. I mean, Nintendo can't let go this franchise from its new handheld.

L~A

EOV was entering active development at the end of 2014/start of 2015, so it's definitely not this year. That's pretty much all we know.

I think Komori's comment there is too vague to really assume that. He just says that 2015 is a year where he will be focused on developing EOV. It doesn't really specify when they started, or when it is due. He says he wants to deliver it as soon as possible.

Interesting.... I really don't understand why they haven't announced the platform yet. I mean, it's most likely to be on 3DS. If not, there's really nothing preventing them from announcing the platform.... and I really doubt Atlus already got dev kits for the 4DS.

Skipping 2015 could be good for the series and alleviate franchise fatigue. If there's a release this year, it's probably going to be in november.

Presumably:

June: Yokai Watch 3
September: Yokai Watch Co-op Battler
December: Yokai Watch 3: The Ogre
March 2016: Yokai Watch Co-op Battler: The Ogre
June 2016: Yokai Watch 4

Replace June by July and you're all good methinks. I really don't think they're going to change their release pattern because of the battlers spin-off.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Did the 3DS kill your parents or something? :p

Pikachu stole the sucker from his crib when he was little, every since then, he has a profound hate for Pokemon and Nintendo.

He is now part of the Jibanyan killed Pikachu Club and holds the title as president, and ceo.

He now tackles Nintendo and its monopoly of the Japanese gaming industry. Tune in next week for a progress report.

L~A

Sorry, I forgot what month Yokai Watch actually came out in.

Ah, ok. I thought you also predicted YW2 in June in the past, so I thought it was a follow-up on that predicton.

Curious about the platform for these games. YW3 is 3DS, no doubt about that... but the Battlers game? I'm tempted to say Nintendo managed to get the game on Wii U, but in my heart I know it's probably just 3DS.

vinnygambini

Ah, ok. I thought you also predicted YW2 in June in the past, so I thought it was a follow-up on that predicton.

Curious about the platform for these games. YW3 is 3DS, no doubt about that... but the Battlers game? I'm tempted to say Nintendo managed to get the game on Wii U, but in my heart I know it's probably just 3DS.

Youkai Watch Battlers could be some elaborate amiibo game (amiibo fighter figurine).

All dat monieesssss

I hope you're right about Busters being on Wii U. I know it's not unlike L5 to put out two games so close together on one system, but still, YW2 and 2.5 are obviously similar enough. Actually YW1 and 2 were 6 months apart no?

Pikachu stole the sucker from his crib when he was little, every since then, he has a profound hate for Pokemon and Nintendo.

He is now part of the Jibanyan killed Pikachu Club and holds the title as president, and ceo.

He now tackles Nintendo and its monopoly of the Japanese gaming industry. Tune in next week for a progress report.

very funny post, I have to admit :)

but to be honest, I am
Level 5 shareholder

sörine

Banned
and I really doubt Atlus already got dev kits for the 4DS.
No one has kits yet or we'd have probably heard about it but I still suspect 4DS might be coming sooner than many expect. Even Dec 2015 in Japan wouldn't surprise me much.

Eolz

so happy that Vita is last Sony handheld so in the future this port begging "Why game X is on Vita and not on the spectacular, amazing and awesome 3DS???" will cease
It will change into why this super awesome game is on console rather than this super rad handheld then.

You mean "why is this game on mobile rather on this console/handheld?" right?

what kind of sales are expected for Mario Party 10?

has that IP lost steam yet?

Probably better than Wii Party U non-bundled. The Wii-etc IPs lost steam, not that much for the Mario spin-offs (relative to its platform/userbase obviously) since last time.

We can say for any platform really. Could imagine more people here upset if it's not on PS4, more in japan if it's not on mobile/3DS, etc.
Even S-E past hints sometimes seem contradictory and too vague to really mean something.

vinnygambini

very funny post, I have to admit :)

but to be honest, I am
Level 5 shareholder

I thank you :p

In regards to the bolded,
how could you be a Level 5 shareholder if the company is not publicly traded? Just curious.

L~A

I thank you :p

In regards to the bolded,
how could you be a Level 5 shareholder if the company is not publicly traded? Just curious.

Ha ha, I was wondering the same thing.

No one has kits yet or we'd have probably heard about it but I still suspect 4DS might be coming sooner than many expect. Even Dec 2015 in Japan wouldn't surprise me much.

My money is still on H1 2016 (probably March, April in the West). Well, before the first few weeks of 2015 and the good hold of the (N)3DS, I would have agree about a possible Dec. release, but not anymore.

Well, unless sales reall tank hard in the upcoming months... But Dec. would be too early imo, I doubt Nintendo would be ready (both hardware/software-wise)

Ok, I'm stopping here, don't want turn this MC thread into yet another 'When is Nintendo going to launch their new handheld?' thread.

Darius

Banned
Ha ha, I was wondering the same thing.

My money is still on H1 2016 (probably March, April in the West). Well, before the first few weeks of 2015 and the good hold of the (N)3DS, I would have agree about a possible Dec. release, but not anymore.

Well, unless sales reall tank hard in the upcoming months... But Dec. would be too early imo, I doubt Nintendo would be ready (both hardware/software-wise)

Ok, I'm stopping here, don't want turn this MC thread into yet another 'When is Nintendo going to launch their new handheld?' thread.

Doesn´t sound very plausible to me, I really don´t see the point in rushing a new system to the market, since the launch of the N3DS seems to be meant to extent the lifespan of the 3ds ecosystem. Like I said a few months ago the GBC to GBA timeframe seems to be the most comparable one in this case.

Eolz

Doesn´t sound very plausible to me, I really don´t see the point in rushing a new system to the market, since the launch of the N3DS seems to be meant to extent the lifespan of the 3ds ecosystem. Like I said a few months ago the GBC to GBA timeframe seems to be the most comparable one in this case.

GBC to GBA was 1998 to 2001. Fall 2014 for the N3DS and Fall 2017 for the 4DS?!
It was meant to extent the 3DS lifespan yes, but not for 3 years. Just to soften the blow of a shrinking market and saturation in some places (Japan), so 2016 is the best bet (be it early in the year or in the fall).

December 2015 in Japan would surprise me though, since that would mean they would reveal it this E3, and nothing really points to that.

Sorry L~A, you switched the topic despite any good intentions :p .

antibolo

Banned
03C8F3EB-B57D-4130-96AB-23C9A786EC1C_zpsbkayjri8.jpg

The fact that retail PSP games are still a thing in Japan is completely insane.

At least with digital PSP games you have actual forward compatibility with the current system.

I wonder how Sony can justify still running UMD manufacturing. I bet there's that one factory somewhere handled by three people.

Darius

Banned
GBC to GBA was 1998 to 2001. Fall 2014 for the N3DS and Fall 2017 for the 4DS?!
It was meant to extent the 3DS lifespan yes, but not for 3 years. Just to soften the blow of a shrinking market and saturation in some places (Japan), so 2016 is the best bet (be it early in the year or in the fall).

December 2015 in Japan would surprise me though, since that would mean they would reveal it this E3, and nothing really points to that.

Sorry L~A, you switched the topic despite any good intentions :p .

You should take a closer look. The timespan between GBC and GBA was 2 years and 5 months. The exact same timespan would mean a March 2017 launch. But what I´m talking about doesn´t necessarily mean the exact same amount of time, but something similar, which doesn´t exclude a very late 2016 launch (earliest possible date imo) if they really want to profit from the holiday season, which would be just a few months short and still over 2 years, this seems very comparable to me, expecting more or less 2 years is quite more reasonable than a Dec. 2015 launch or an early 2016 launch, considering we haven´t heard any rumours from developers nor about dev-kits. The only "information" we got is that AMD plans to supply a console manufacturer in 2016.

Takao

Banned
The fact that retail PSP games are still a thing in Japan is completely insane.

At least with digital PSP games you have actual forward compatibility with the current system.

I wonder how Sony can justify still running UMD manufacturing. I bet there's that one factory somewhere handled by three people.

When Vic Ireland was doing the Class of Heroes 2 limited run he mentioned that (presumably SCEA's) UMD printing was limited to one day a month. I imagine that's probably the same case in Asia, though maybe it's more than a single day.

The craziest part about that new Uta no Pri PSP game? It's not on PSN.

duckroll

I have been thinking about this since the N3DS announcement. Nintendo is going to launch the NFC adapter this Summer and this might coincide with an amiibo themed YW.

Level5 might want to skip Nintendo entirely and just make their own line of collectibles. That'll give them more control over what sort of product they release and keep all the profits to themselves. I don't see the benefit of using the "Amiibo" brand.

Level5 might want to skip Nintendo entirely and just make their own line of collectibles. That'll give them more control over what sort of product they release and keep all the profits to themselves. I don't see the benefit of using the "Amiibo" brand.

I didn't mean amiibo-line, but an amiibo-like-line, of course working through NFC.

duckroll

I didn't mean amiibo-line, but an amiibo-like-line, of course working through NFC.

Well, if Level5 were smart, they would be looking at games like Skylanders and Disney Infinity rather than Nintendo's use of Amiibos. Way more relevant to their business format, and it's not like Nintendo invented anything. The reason they couldn't do this before was because the 3DS had no NFC hardware.

vinnygambini

You should take a closer look. The timespan between GBC and GBA was 2 years and 5 months. The exact same timespan would mean a March 2017 launch. But what I´m talking about is not the exact same amount of time but something similar, which doesn´t exclude a very late 2016 launch (earliest possible date imo) if they really want to profit from the holiday season, which would be just a few months short and still over 2 years, this seems very comparable to me, expecting more or less 2 years is quite more reasonable than a Dec. 2015 launch or an early 2016 launch, considering we haven´t heard any rumours from developers nor about dev-kits. The only "information" we got is that AMD plans to supply a console manufacturer in 2016.

Well Nintendo have already made mention that FY16 will be the launch for QOL & console for emerging markets.

I'm in the same camp as you that Nov. 2016 will be the launch of their next console.

Vena

I mean, I thought that was a pretty obvious and harmless tongue-in-cheek joke...

Either I was wrong, or I have been spending far too many hours underground in the labs and have lost my senses.

mao2

GamesMaya's report

- Today, Yakuza 0 was completely victorious. The PS4 version was leading today.*
- Digimon Cyber Sleuth, as a Dark Horse, it sold better than expected.
- Dragon Quest Heroes for PS3 is still selling.

*GamesMaya reported that the PS4 version of DQH was leading the first day too, but on the weekend the PS3 version sold better.
Games Ma-ya also mentioned that their One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 demo event was a failure as customers quickly went home after buying games and didn't bother to play the demo. I know this is just one tiny shop, but it could be a sign that interest in Pirate Warriors series have dropped significantly.

mao2

Also reposting this here in case anyone is interested.
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO84212360Q5A310C1000000/

Some backstory regarding DQH development here.

- KT has been offering action game to SE for years (but SE was hesitating to go forward).
- Toukiden really changed SE's mind.
- KT was given 1.5 years for development.
- Horii thoroughly tested it for weekly basis.

..and more.
Just adding a bit more to this.
- It all started 5 years ago when Koei Tecmo's president Yoichi Erikawa (Kou Shibusawa) approached Yuji Horii to propose a "Dragon Quest action game" and Horii gave his consent.
- However, Square Enix hesitated because they didn't like the idea of a "Dragon Quest Musou/Warriors" game.
- Square Enix changed their mind in summer 2013 after seeing the success of Toukiden, in which players could fight gigantic monsters. They wanted elements from both Musou/Warriors (hordes of enemies) and Toukiden (gigantic monsters) incorporated.
- Square Enix set the target date to Feburary 2015. 1.5 years is an extremely short period, but producer Kenichi Ogasawara was unfazed and encouraged his team by saying "This is the only chance we have to make a Dragon Quest game at Koei Tecmo".
- Horii playtested every week and reminded the developers that they shouldn't be making a game that only suits them. "Easy Control Mode" was added for newbies who aren't familiar with games.
- Square Enix's Dragon Quest series producer Ryota Aomi praised Horii by saying "Even though Horii worked for more than 30 years in the games industry, he never forgets the gamers' point of view and that's great."

Games Ma-ya also mentioned that their One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 demo event was a failure as customers quickly went home after buying games and didn't bother to play the demo. I know this is just one tiny shop, but it could be a sign that interest in Pirate Warriors series have dropped significantly.

Then again, it's a Musou game. It probably plays exactly like the first two and from the trailers basically looks like it does. No need to demo something you already expect how it will be. ~_~

mao2

Then again, it's a Musou game. It probably plays exactly like the first two and from the trailers basically looks like it does. No need to demo something you already expect how it will be. ~_~
True, but if you're a fan, you'll probably still give it a spin to see the changes or try out new characters. I know I definitely would.

Oregano

I was thinking it could help internationally if Nintendo is going to publish the games. Of course they already have the Hasbro deal. Bit weird they didn't go with Bandai.

I did suspect Bandai had a hand in Amiibo production but there's no evidence other than them being the only third party to support it(and having developed Smash).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
There was no need to be so rude to hiska-kun.

I enjoy a lot his weekly reports about the new Japanese releases, undoubtedly one of the best features of these threads.

+1 on this. Hiska provides a great service and there are much more polite ways of getting the same point across.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"Over here at Square Enix, we weren't sure if you could deliver a quality game until we saw Toukiden, and thus didn't want you to use the Dragon Quest name. However, now that you've shown you could, we want to make sure you have as little time as possible to make this game."

I was thinking it could help internationally if Nintendo is going to publish the games. Of course they already have the Hasbro deal. Bit weird they didn't go with Bandai.

I did suspect Bandai had a hand in Amiibo production but there's no evidence other than them being the only third party to support it(and having developed Smash).

Hasbro is wildly successful in the West, so I imagine they partnered with them since they actually wanted to be successful. :p

noobie

- It all started 5 years ago when Koei Tecmo's president Yoichi Erikawa (Kou Shibusawa) approached Yuji Horii to propose a "Dragon Quest action game" and Horii gave his consent.
- However, Square Enix hesitated because they didn't like the idea of a "Dragon Quest Musou/Warriors" game.
- Square Enix changed their mind in summer 2013 after seeing the success of Toukiden, in which players could fight gigantic monsters. They wanted elements from both Musou/Warriors (hordes of enemies) and Toukiden (gigantic monsters) incorporated.
- Square Enix set the target date to Feburary 2015. 1.5 years is an extremely short period, but producer Kenichi Ogasawara wasn't unfazed and encouraged his team by saying "This is the only chance we have to make a Dragon Quest game at Koei Tecmo".
- Horii playtested every week and reminded the developers that they shouldn't be making a game that only suits them. "Easy Control Mode" was added for newbies who aren't familiar with games.
- Square Enix's Dragon Quest series producer Ryota Aomi praised Horii by saying "Even though Horii worked for more than 30 years in the games industry, he never forgets the gamers' point of view and that's great."

So 800k+ sales are going to make SE and Koei happy with the sales to green light the next title in the series? i dont know how large a team was.. but 1.5 yrs from approval to release is really not much of a time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So 800k+ sales are going to make SE and Koei happy with the sales to green light the next title in the series? i dont know how large a team was.. but 1.5 yrs from approval to release is really not much of a time.

At the rate its going this game might outsell Lightning Returns worldwide.

Not that this is an especially high bar, but to help put things in perspective in terms of where Square's Japanese development is at.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Dengeki Sales: Week 10, 2015 (Mar 02 - Mar 08)
02./00. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeo (Atlus) {2015.03.05} - 65.119 / NEW <90%>
typo on Dungeon

Btw, so Hyrule Warriors & DQHeroes were started development around about 6 months apart then and both took exactly 18 months? That's very impressive.

vinnygambini

Hasbro is wildly successful in the West, so I imagine they partnered with them since they actually wanted to be successful. :p

lol :p

Hasbro was once the master toy license for Pokemon in the Northern hemisphere, maybe Nintendo got the publishing rights for Youkai Watch...

I'm grasping at straws I know

Oregano

"Over here at Square Enix, we weren't sure if you could deliver a quality game until we saw Toukiden, and thus didn't want you to use the Dragon Quest name. However, now that you've shown you could, we want to make sure you have as little time as possible to make this game."

Oh, does Bandai not do much business in the west? Guess it's been a long time since Tamagotchi!

I would have thought with Bandai Namco already taking care of merchandise in Japan and already having a relationship in regards to publishing games they seemed like a natural partner.

EDIT:
lol :p

Hasbro was once the master toy license for Pokemon in the Northern hemisphere, maybe Nintendo got the publishing rights for Youkai Watch...

I'm grasping at straws I know

I imagine Nintendo is pretty likely to be the distributor at the very least.

vinnygambini

Oh, does Bandai not do much business in the west? Guess it's been a long time since Tamagotchi!

I would have thought with Bandai Namco already taking care of merchandise in Japan and already having a relationship in regards to publishing games they seemed like a natural partner.

Every since the Bandai Namco restructure back in 2010, the company have mostly concentrated their efforts on maintaining a strong retail presence in Japan, scaling back operations in the US & European markets - concentrated heavily on two major brands: Power Rangers & Ben 10 (their least profitable market), and have targeted Asia as their growth driver.

Bandai remains master toy license in Asia for Youkai Watch, while Hasbro is for the rest of the world.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Bandai-Namco-aims-to-double-Asia-sales

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

EDIT:

I imagine Nintendo is pretty likely to be the distributor at the very least.

It's just that Hasbro has such dominance in this comparison for the West that it's a slam dunk choice if Hasbro is interested.

Like if we view Mattel and Hasbro as Coke and Pepsi, Namco would be the Dr Pepper Snapple Group.

Now, Dr. Pepper and Snapple are good selling products, but it's just not a real comparison to the juggernauts in the room.

mao2

LOL that's one way to put it. It's great that Omega Force managed to deliver.

I sure hope they're happy and will green light the sequel.

ZhugeEX

Banned
@ZhugeEX probably has an opinion on this.

Why is Koei-Tecmo trying so hard to cultivate a Warriors fanbase on Vita when they have the 3DS? Is it simply because it's easy to port these games from PS3 and harder to make games on 3DS? The first SWC was fairly successful on 3DS, 2nd was just an expansion (I heard it sold more though... like closer to 100K), and SWC3 still sold similarly on PSV and 3DS despite the PSV clearly being the main platform.

73 3DS Samurai Warriors Chronicles 43,044 155,059 Koei Tecmo 2011-02-26
128 3DS Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd 35,806 68,360 Koei Tecmo 2012-09-13
162 3DS Dynasty Warriors VS 15,607 45,870 Koei Tecmo 2012-04-26
189 - 3DS Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 17,646 30,357 Koei Tecmo 2014-12-0

29 PSV One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 54,509 103,757 Bandai Namco 2013-03-20
31 + PSV Samurai Warriors 4 43,545 100,477 Koei Tecmo 2014-03-20
32 + PSV Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn 44,889 96,021 Bandai Namco 2013-12-19
40 PSV Dynasty Warriors Next 32,044 80,052 Koei Tecmo 2011-12-17
62 - PSV Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate 24,825 48,225 Koei Tecmo 2013-09-26
77 - PSV Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 23,644 35,109 Koei Tecmo 2014-12-04
91 PSV Samurai Warriors 4-II 21,977 30,012 Koei Tecmo 2015-02-11
153 PSV Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends 11,627 11,627 Koei Tecmo 2013-11-28

Well if you look at the list you posted. Pretty much all the games on PS Vita are straight ports of PS3 games. Where as the 3DS games are all 100% original and never been on home console.

Musou has always been a home console first experience and the portable versions are usually straight ports. This is because it's a lot easier to port to Vita from PS3. I'd say they have been trying to get fans on 3DS with the recent original titles such as VS and Chronicles but the fanbase isn't really there tbh.

ZhugeEX

Banned
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO84212360Q5A310C1000000/

Some backstory regarding DQH development here.

- KT has been offering action game to SE for years (but SE was hesitating to go forward).
- Toukiden really changed SE's mind.
- KT was given 1.5 years for development.
- Horii thoroughly tested it for weekly basis.

..and more.
- Square Enix set the target date to Feburary 2015. 1.5 years is an extremely short period, but producer Kenichi Ogasawara was unfazed and encouraged his team by saying "This is the only chance we have to make a Dragon Quest game at Koei Tecmo".

Koei have been very big on collaborations recently.

One thing that a lot of people don't know is that Koei are planning to release another collaboration title in the next 2 years with a big focus on a Western IP. Koei are yet to confirm if this is a game IP crossover, TV show crossover or movie crossover but they will be releasing a game with that western property x Musou style gameplay.

We should start to hear about it in 2016/2017.

GamesMaya's report

- Today, Yakuza 0 was completely victorious. The PS4 version was leading today.*
- Digimon Cyber Sleuth, as a Dark Horse, it sold better than expected.
- Dragon Quest Heroes for PS3 is still selling.

*GamesMaya reported that the PS4 version of DQH was leading the first day too, but on the weekend the PS3 version sold better.

Everything was positive :eek:

Wondering if this opens the doors for a FF Musou. Now that will no doubt sell gangbusters. If handled correctly it could become the best selling Musou game ever and it totally fits the IP as well.

Top Bottom