• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2015 (Mar 30- Apr 05)

Not surprising that the 3DS was back on top. The N3DS had what may well me its only ever major exclusive release this week. And the 3DS line as a whole

With that said, I find it a bit odd that there is a rush to say Bloodborne crashed from these numbers, yet somehow Xenoblade is anything other than a disappointment. It may not be a total bomba in terms of sell-through(40%-60%), but that just goes further to show that Nintendo already had pretty low expectations for it. Which probably means the prospects for future N3DS exclusives are pretty low.

It also probably reinforces the WII U's death. If Xenoblade is struggling to move units on already sold hardware, how on earth does anyone expect Xenoblade X to move any console hardware?

Vena

I'll have the updared handheld charts a little later after this meeting.

Xeno did well enough considering its exclusive. I wonder if it will have legs, do we have a sell-through % on it?

A.J.

Banned
Please note that this was before DQH2 announcement.

All they mentioned is the possibility to have online multiplayer element. However DQH bosses are really like Toukiden bosses, so..

Interesting. Then again SE also felt like they were dabbling in hunting action with FFXV

sörine;159315829 said:
I see you've already revised down from 25k+ weekly but you need to go farther than that.

lol, why should I go further down? If April was empty sure but there are still some releases, 20k baseline is very standard since January, 20k+ when 2 or more titles release.

Alrus

Xenoblade did okay, not great but not horrible either. Not much to say about it, it's unfortunate that the OG 3DS couldn't handle it, it might have done quite a bit more and raised more awareness for its sequel.

SRW doing business as usual.

Steep drop for Bloodborne but that's to be expected, the game had a high sell through and is in a genre that is relatively frontloaded. Now the sold out thing shouldn't have been a problem, if demand was really high, Sony could have done an urgent shipment, which they apparently didn't.

Garou

ZQWDDzI.png

;P

One shop might have been sold-out, but the game is available at every major online-shop. Shortages usually look different.

Ventara

That's a decent number for Xenoblade, right? Considering it was exclusive to N3DS and all.

And did Rodea really release last week? Damn, it didn't chart at all. Was there no interest for it in Japan? I guess it was a bad idea to delay it and port it to the WiiU/3DS.

Also sad the Disgaea 5 has dropped off the list. Not surprising, as niche game like it make most of their sales during the first week, Still disappointing regardless. I wonder if there will be a Disgaea 6. Is it even viable if sales that low?

Takao

Banned
Famitsu seems to have an axe to grind with Bandai Namco:
http://www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking/

SRWZ3 PS3 - 105k
SRWZ3 PSV - 98k
SAO PSV - 149k
One Piece PS3 - 104k
One Piece PSV - 58k
SAO PS3 - 54k
Digimon Vita - 86k (MC had it at 110k last week)

Wait, SE said DQH2 would be a hunting action game instead of a musou?

Square Enix allowed Omega Force to make DQH after seeing how high quality Toukiden is. They wanted them to mix Toukiden and Dynasty Warriors together. The first game looks more Dynasty Warriors than Toukiden. Maybe it'll be reversed for the sequel?

sörine

Banned
Interesting. Then again SE also felt like they were dabbling in hunting action with FFXV
Well they went all in with hunting action before (Lord of Arcana/Apocalypse, FF Explorers). A DQ hunting action game could be huge but they sort of got the platform/s wrong for a real blockbuster.

sörine;159316540 said:
Is a game you can already play on Wii or Wii U really an exclusive?

Sort of proves the point regarding the prospects for N3DS exclusives. If the closest thing to one is a port, and there hasn't been a rush to announce anymore.

That's a decent number for Xenoblade, right? Considering it was exclusive to N3DS and all. /QUOTE]

Well one hand it was a port and exclusive, and is most certainly not Disgaea 5. On the other, the N3DS is around 2 million units right now, it is the only exclusive(so far), and it seems to have sold around or below Legend of Legacy.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, it's funny to read all people writing "sold-out" when we have a title that actually went sold-out such that supply couldn't meet the demand (Etrian Mystery Dungeon, which came back in the chart last week, after two weeks of disappearance).

In the vast majority of cases, a high sell-through might simply signal that demand has been fully satisfied.
Only in the Famitsu chart Top 30. It charted within the Top 30 in the 2nd and 3rd week both in Media Create and Dengeki. It seems that it had supply problem though, but it wasnt completely sold out (at least according to Media Create and Dengeki. Dengeki listed it as 6.350 copies for the 2nd week and 4.694 copies for the 3rd week).

Not surprising that the 3DS was back on top. The N3DS had what may well me its only ever major exclusive release this week. And the 3DS line as a whole

With that said, I find it a bit odd that there is a rush to say Bloodborne crashed from these numbers, yet somehow Xenoblade is anything other than a disappointment. It may not be a total bomba in terms of sell-through(40%-60%), but that just goes further to show that Nintendo already had pretty low expectations for it. Which probably means the prospects for future N3DS exclusives are pretty low.

It also probably reinforces the WII U's death. If Xenoblade is struggling to move units on already sold hardware, how on earth does anyone expect Xenoblade X to move any console hardware?

I hardly believe Nintendo would use X3D as a barometer for the development of N3DS-exclusive games. A Pikmin game would have been more appropriate (Miyamoyo once said that Pikmin on 3DS would have not been possible due to hardware).

sörine

Banned
lol, why should I go further down? If April was empty sure but there are still some releases, 20k baseline is very standard since January, 20k+ when 2 or more titles release.
I'm just messing with ya. I think it'll sink quite a bit lower (Jan was coming off holidays, Feb/Mar had crazy release schedules) but you're not being at all unreasonable here. :)

I hardly believe Nintendo would use X3D as a barometer for the development of N3DS-exclusive games. A Pikmin game would have been more appropriate (Miyamoyo once said that Pikmin on 3DS would have not been possible due to hardware).
Except the hardware issue Miyamoto was talking about is unchanged on n3DS (screen resolution). We'll probably have to wait until NX for portable Pikmin.

Only in the Famitsu chart Top 30. It charted within the Top 30 in the 2nd and 3rd week both in Media Create and Dengeki. It seems that it had supply problem though, but it wasnt completely sold out (at least according to Media Create and Dengeki. Dengeki listed it as 6.350 copies for the 2nd week and 4.694 copies for the 3rd week).

The point is, sold-out is relevant as long as demand is not fully satisfied. With EMD, this was quite clear, since the game increased a lot over the previous weeks by re-entering in the Top 30. Same goes for The Seven Deadly Sins. This meant that initial supply could not meet initial demand.

Well one hand it was a port and exclusive, and is most certainly not Disgaea 5. On the other, the N3DS is around 2 million units right now, it is the only exclusive(so far), and it seems to have sold around or below Legend of Legacy.

Famitsu reports a sellthrough around 40-60%, anyone else was so slow last week except for Theatrhythm DQ

for me it's not a great result, especially considering how much it was pushed (I saw CM on Yamanote since last month) and shops were pointing out it was the first n3DS exclusive, and as you said there are already 2mln n3DS around Japan, almost as much as Wii U

crinale

In general mask ROMs takes much longer to re-print than flash (the major difference between 3DS and Vita). This has been primary reason Nintendo carts takes a bit time to re-stock but I'm not so sure Vita's carts being flash is helping to shorten the leadtime (in general it should help but there should be other factors to count in).

sörine;159318823 said:
I'm a bit surprised at how bad Theathrythm DQ is doing. Did Heroes steal it's thunder or something?

I wonder what happened with DQMJ3 too? It was all but confirmed last summer but not a peep since.

Isn't Theathrythm DQ selling comparable to previous entries though? As for DQM3 I think they'll announce it sometime this year..

sörine

Banned
I'm a bit surprised at how bad Theathrythm DQ is doing. Did Heroes steal it's thunder or something?

I wonder what happened with DQMJ3 too? It was all but confirmed last summer but not a peep since.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Continuing from the last thread:

They also announced Chikyū Kaimetsuteki B-kyū Kanojo for mobile phones... Has this game disappeared as well?
If that's what 地球壊滅的B級カノジョZ 宇宙大戦 is ( seemingly http://www.level5.co.jp/products/b-kano/ ), then it released and was taken down.

1) to be honest, L5 Vision 2015 just showed a general increase in output, not a different ration 3DS / mobile with respect to L5 Vision 2013; back then, we had announced Wonderflick and the two other mobile games, along with Layton 7 on 3DS / mobile and Inazuma Eleven Go 3 for 3DS and IE Online for browsers. Actually, this L5 Vision had much more on 3DS than the previous one. It seems clear that L5 has been trying to move towards mobile since many years ago, but since then it has yet to succeed. L5 Vision 2013 was quite clear in stating Hino's strategy, but all those mobile efforts bombed, while the success was found on 3DS. L5 wants to refocus in the mobile industry, but everything showed how actually it is not able to do so, but can succeed to a great extent on traditional platforms (Ni no Kuni also sold notably well worldwide)

2) The fact is, FL2 might be more riskier on mobile than on 3DS, given past history of the company. L5 already attached one of its popular IPs on a mobile game, and I don't think it went well; perhaps this time it might go better but when the company already showed to be strong on 3DS (and now they could have also advertised the game in light of YW) this seems a big risk to take. Of course the game looks so cheap that development costs will be lower than developing a full-fledged sequel.
I was probably insufficiently clear here. What I mean was that with Level 5 Vision 2013 and Level 5 Vision 2015, they showed a clear switch to viewing mobile as a critical part of their corporate vision instead of a side effort like it was in 2012 and before.

They had that JAVA/Brew platform with things like the hostess game and the feature phone version of Ni no Kuni before, but these days their message seems to be that the two platforms they really pay attention to are 3DS and mobile.

Mobile hasn't worked out for them yet, but that seems to have no real discouraging impact on their output, since mobile itself is a proven market. As you said, there's actually more mobile games now than before via the increase in output.

This isn't super uncommon though. Most of the mobile titans of today actually failed for quite a long time before finding a hit, since mobile is cheap enough to invest in that if you can wade through 20 failure and then finally get a major hit, it actually still works out very, very well in your favor. It's a scenario that hasn't existed in the games industry in quite some time. An extreme example is that DeNA has 114 iOS apps, but that one that makes the significant majority of their smartphone revenue is Final Fantasy Record Keeper, and they're a company that noted native apps (modern smartphone games) as a big part of their strong quarterly profit.

But yes, outside of a few companies that really seem to have a strong grasp on the market (I'd submit COLOPL, Supercell, and King as companies able to continually repeat success with a very strong hit rate without being a platform vendor), it's certainly harder to project success than in the dedicated market.

For a traditional publisher who is a risk averse company, I feel it makes more sense to release a dedicated device game instead since it's easier to project success and budget accordingly. However, Level 5 isn't a risk averse company, and frequently shoots for the stars in terms of both financial success and ROI, so this fits their business model.

test_account

XP-39C²
The point is, sold-out is relevant as long as demand is not fully satisfied. With EMD, this was quite clear, since the game increased a lot over the previous weeks by re-entering in the Top 30. Same goes for The Seven Deadly Sins. This meant that initial supply could not meet initial demand.
Fair enough. I'm not sure if it increased a lot though, or maybe in Famitsu. In the 4th week, it increased about 1400 copies in Dengeki, and in Media Create it dropped on place in the chart (it could still be an increase in numbers over previous week though). I think it shall be interesting to see what Dengeki has it at in it's 5th week.

I mostly wanted to say that copies were available, so i dont see why its more funny to say that Bloodborne had some sell-outs compared to Etrian Mystery Dungeon? Afterall, its possible to see a decrease week over week and still be "sold out". If for example 50k people wanted something one week, but only 35k copies were available. The next week, it could end up selling 15k to the remaining people. In that situation, it was "sold out" (or had stock problems) even with a big decline. Its harder to show to more concrete proof of demand per week in those cases though, but its fully possible at least :)

EDIT: I added some text.

L~A

sörine;159318823 said:

Hmm? Looks on par with the other two TFF games. Maybe someone has a nice chart for comparison?

test_account

XP-39C²
In general mask ROMs takes much longer to re-print than flash (the major difference between 3DS and Vita). This has been primary reason Nintendo carts takes a bit time to re-stock but I'm not so sure Vita's carts being flash is helping to shorten the leadtime (in general it should help but there should be other factors to count in).
Yeah, that is true. I just wanted to say that copies of Etrian Mystery Dungeon were sold in the 2nd and 3rd week as well, so there were at least some copies available :) I think the game had supply problems based on what i read from reports though.

sörine

Banned
In general mask ROMs takes much longer to re-print than flash (the major difference between 3DS and Vita). This has been primary reason Nintendo carts takes a bit time to re-stock but I'm not so sure Vita's carts being flash is helping to shorten the leadtime..
Nintendo doesn't use mask ROM anymore. 3DS cards use NROM (Nitride ROM) which has a transfer process comparable to normal flash memory.

The issue with 3DS card turnaround isn't with technology limitations but a problem with Nintendo/Macronix's overall production capacity and scheduling afaik.

sörine

Banned
Hmm? Looks on par with the other two TFF games. Maybe someone has a nice chart for comparison?
I know but I expected it would do better than the FF installments. I mean DQ is more popular than FF after all, moreso today than at any point since the Famicom.

Interesting pie chart, do we have the Playstation family as the new Pacman now?
Maybe a yawning Pacman. He must be bored.

crinale

sörine;159320254 said:
Nintendo doesn't use mask ROM anymore. 3DS cards use NROM (Nitride ROM) which has a transfer process comparable to normal flash memory.

The issue with 3DS card turnaround isn't with technology limitations but a problem with Nintendo/Macronix's overall production capacity and scheduling afaik.

Ah thanks for the information. So it should be different from DS carts..

sörine;159321418 said:
There were also actually two different types of DS cards; traditional mask ROM and 1T-EPROM. The latter had to be used for larger capacities (over 64MB), was more expensive but also used a different writing process (flashing the EEPROM) which sped up production cycles significantly.

Edit:
Again, thank you for even more knowledgeable & insightful info :D

sörine

Banned
Ah thanks for the information. So it should be different from DS carts..
There were also actually two different types of DS cards; traditional mask ROM and 1T-EPROM. The latter had to be used for larger capacities (over 64MB), was more expensive but also used a different writing process (flashing the EEPROM) which sped up production cycles significantly.

Darius

Banned
2nd week comparison (handheld)

10./03. [3DS] Senran Kagura 2: Crimson # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.08.07} (¥6.998) - 9.624 / 56.119
20./10. [PSV] Senran Kagura Estival Versus # <ACT> (Marvelous) {2015.03.26} (¥7.538) - 8.297 / 52.845

Good call from Marvelous to make it multiplatform (handheld/console).

Xeboblade is only olayable on new 3ds. Not sure what kind of expectations there are here.

Not huge as 40-60% implies around 100K copies or so shipped. In that sense I don't think it became a failure at retail per se(though I don't think it was particularly successful either), but before, since Nintendo evidently had relatively low expectations for it, given that they made a it a center-piece of their announcement for the N3DS and have Xenoblade X as a high-profile title for the spring.

It is admittedly a port, but again it is also the only major N3DS exclusive and it appears to have achieved a 2.7% attach rate.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm Impressed that 3DS sales aren't tanking just yet and is selling almost as "good" as last year. I was hoping that Vita hardware sales would be better with that many software out but the gap is increasing a bit week after week. Think it's possible for it to sell better than last year or is it impossible if they don't cut the price or release a new revision?
PS4 sales seem to slow down a bit, but I think it will be around 19-21k a week when stabilized

source : japanltdranking (Famitsu numbers)

so retail + DD 300k, still 100k to become the top seller

if this happens, it will be the first time that a system in Japan has a western title as top seller

I think their digital numbers don't include February where it sold ~33k. I have Minecraft as follows:

Retail 77,619(Famitsu) + 264,324(Digital) = 341,943

Or 337,424 if you use Media Create for retail.

2nd week comparison (handheld)

10./03. [3DS] Senran Kagura 2: Crimson # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.08.07} (¥6.998) - 9.624 / 56.119
20./10. [PSV] Senran Kagura Estival Versus # <ACT> (Marvelous) {2015.03.26} (¥7.538) - 8.297 / 52.845

Good call from Marvelous to make it multiplatform (handheld/console).

So is there a reason why you ignore PS4 version? With it it's still substantially ahead of SK2. Probably did better than SK2 also digitally but for that data we have to wait.

09./14. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 15.880 / 73.100

I can see Minecraft becoming the best selling Vita title in Japan (and WW as well), after all is the real portable version of Minecraft and children love Minecraft, Japanese children are no exception to that. I wonder what its baseline will look like in Japan after some weeks after launch, 5K a week or more?

So is there a reason why you ignore PS4 version? With it it's still substantially ahead of SK2. Probably did better than SK2 also digitally but for that data we have to wait.

It doesn't fit the narrative he is trying to push, I was worry about the franchise before the release of the game, now I can safely see a new game on the future, thought I have my doubts regarding the mainland series on 3DS.

Top Bottom