• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest is the PlayStation of the VR era

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wouldn’t be my main platform that way but it’s better than how it’s now at least. I played some Moss 2 now but last time was probably in the summer. It’s collecting dust no doubt.

What I truly want is some proper goodbye real world type of games, like Skyrim and Elden Ring, long ass 100+ hours games, the real deal.

But tbh the hardware isn’t there yet for that. They need to be much more comfortable, lighter and without having to have them on so tightly, and better battery life of course.

Meta wanting people to wear Quest 3 all day sounds awesome to me, not because I want to play all day but because it says they’ve cracked the discomfort problem.
But I’m highly sceptical… Is it possible that they’ve evolved it that much from their current headset? X for doubt

It says they're marketing has worked on you. That's all.

Romulus

The games library is really the problem. I don’t know how Meta can fix that but in the end I think that’s what will make or break their whole investment in VR. I’ve been using my Quest 2 the last couple days (playing the lovely Moss 2) and looking at the store is kinda depressing, it has sold a lot but calling it the Playstation of VR is completely ignoring that the big dev houses are still just sitting on the fence. I plan to get Red Matter 2 though, looked cool, but other than that I didn’t see anything really interesting.

What else have you played?

Kev Kev

dont you put that evil on me GIF

Lol jk. PS was legendary but I don't see any VR headset having that title, not yet. With a couple more killer apps and games, it'll be closer, but then some people just don't want to wear the headset. They'll need to get smaller and lighter first. I also believe we will transition out of using so many motion controls. It makes sense and can be fun for some things, like how they use it in Half Life: Alyx, but it shouldn't be everything you do. For example, pumping your arms when you want to sprint in a game 🤦‍♂️ Either way, I'm excited to see where it goes, and see which one truly breaks out with the kind of success that PS had in it's early days.

Last edited:

Fredrik

What else have you played?
Recently?
Nothing except Moss 2, which isn’t really new now.

Back when the excitement was the highest I played a lot, most talked about stuff, beat saber, superhot, moss, the vaders, space pirate, room, some smaller focused vr experiences, etc. I went back in for RE4 but fell out quickly. Moss 2 was there as well, doing that again now. Put some hours into drop dead too which was cool. Hmm trying to remember what else there is. If you have recommendations, post please! Oh I played some ancient dungeon, unfortunately got motion sick fast for some reason, seemed great though. And I’ve used it on PC, lots of Skyrim, No Man’s Sky, Alyx, Flight Sim. I do think SteamVR compatibility is going to be Quest’s biggest strength going forward unless Sony and Apple also step in there. But in the end I still think it’ll be niche, if I can use that word.

Last edited:

Minsc

dont you put that evil on me GIF

Lol jk. PS was legendary but I don't see any VR headset having that title, not yet. With a couple more killer apps and games, it'll be closer, but then some people just don't want to wear the headset. They'll need to get smaller and lighter first. I also believe we will transition out of using so many motion controls. It makes sense and can be fun for some things, like how they use it in Half Life: Alyx, but it shouldn't be everything you do. For example, pumping your arms when you want to sprint in a game 🤦‍♂️ Either way, I'm excited to see where it goes, and see which one truly breaks out with the kind of success that PS had in it's early days.
Yeah, the pumping the arms in Horizon I tried for a few minutes, it made no sense to me other than perhaps a way to help ease in for new VR people then I turned on analog movement and don't miss that one bit. Sure in Beat Saber or whatever using an analog stick wouldn't work as well, but as long as you have options that's great.

Did you need to pump arms in Alyx to move around? That sounds hard to believe given how loved it is or where you referring to another popular game?

Kev Kev

Did you need to pump arms in Alyx to move around? That sounds hard to believe given how loved it is or where you referring to another popular game?
I've never played Alyx but from the videos I've seen it appears to be minimal hand/arm movement while looking interesting and fluid. But still, I really prefer not requiring motion controls at all, so if given the option I wouldn't use them.

Romulus

Recently?
Nothing except Moss 2, which isn’t really new now.

Back when the excitement was the highest I played a lot, most talked about stuff, beat saber, superhot, moss, the vaders, space pirate, room, some smaller focused vr experiences, etc. I went back in for RE4 but fell out quickly. Moss 2 was there as well, doing that again now. Put some hours into drop dead too which was cool. Hmm trying to remember what else there is. If you have recommendations, post please! Oh I played some ancient dungeon, unfortunately got motion sick fast for some reason, seemed great though. And I’ve used it on PC, lots of Skyrim, No Man’s Sky, Alyx, Flight Sim. I do think SteamVR compatibility is going to be Quest’s biggest strength going forward unless Sony and Apple also step in there. But in the end I still think it’ll be niche, if I can use that word.

Asgard's Wrath, Stormland, HL2 mod(equal to Alyx for me) Elite Dangerous, Project Wingman, RE2,3 and 8 mod are fantastic. Iracing. Tales from the Galaxy edge is superior to Vader Immortal. Outer Wilds and Firewatch are both great. On Quest 2 native, into the Radius and Lies Beneath are a couple of gems. Team Beef has fantastic native quest ports of Doom 3, Jedi Outcast(full motion control force powers and saber) Wolf, and several more. The OG Doom ports are the definitive version of the games IMO, it's just so well done with Brutal Doom add ons.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Vr gaming is on life support now. From twitch numbers, I'm pretty certain that this has been the worst launch ever for a Sony Franchise (Horizon) and the worst selling peripheral... and PC/Quest vr is surviving on comunity mods (Beardo youtuber said it himself).

Fredrik

Asgard's Wrath, Stormland, HL2 mod(equal to Alyx for me) Elite Dangerous, Project Wingman, RE2,3 and 8 mod are fantastic. Iracing. Tales from the Galaxy edge is superior to Vader Immortal. Outer Wilds and Firewatch are both great. On Quest 2 native, into the Radius and Lies Beneath are a couple of gems. Team Beef has fantastic native quest ports of Doom 3, Jedi Outcast(full motion control force powers and saber) Wolf, and several more. The OG Doom ports are the definitive version of the games IMO, it's just so well done with Brutal Doom add ons.
Thanks I’ll look into some of those 👍 I have Elite Dangerous, not sure I would be able to handle it without motion sickness though, had issues with No Man’s Sky. RE2,3, do they have 1st person VR mods or is it a 3rd person VR mod?

Last edited:
I think OP ignores Sony's inherent advantage over pretty much any other competitor when it comes to VR.

First off they make their own AAA games but also have relationships with other publishers who put out AAA games.

The ability to add a VR mode to an already existing VR game is going to be significantly cheaper and less risky than building a AAA stand-alone VR title.

Since Meta doesn't have a stand-alone platform, they're not going to be able to absorb this the same way. In this sense Valve has an upperhand, but their games don't drive Steam sales like Sony games drive PlayStation sales.

Think Sony is in a unique position to drive VR.

Vr gaming is on life support now. From twitch numbers, I'm pretty certain that this has been the worst launch ever for a Sony Franchise (Horizon) and the worst selling peripheral... and PC/Quest vr is surviving on comunity mods (Beardo youtuber said it himself).

Is PSVR2 selling worse than PSVR1?

What were the PSVR1 launch titles? Are you comparing Horizon sales to these games or Sony 1st party flat games? Pretty obvious that you're disingenuous here..

Fredrik

I think OP ignores Sony's inherent advantage over pretty much any other competitor when it comes to VR.

First off they make their own AAA games but also have relationships with other publishers who put out AAA games.

The ability to add a VR mode to an already existing VR game is going to be significantly cheaper and less risky than building a AAA stand-alone VR title.

Since Meta doesn't have a stand-alone platform, they're not going to be able to absorb this the same way. In this sense Valve has an upperhand, but their games don't drive Steam sales like Sony games drive PlayStation sales.

Think Sony is in a unique position to drive VR.
Problem for Sony is that they’re selling a pheripheral and not a complete VR setup like Meta. In my country it’s a $1400 investment if you don’t have a PS5. Their walled-garden approach isn’t helping either, if they unlock it for PC and SteamVR it would increase the potential userbase a bit.

lukilladog

Is PSVR2 selling worse than PSVR1?

Yes I would guess.

What were the PSVR1 launch titles? Are you comparing Horizon sales to these games or Sony 1st party flat games? Pretty obvious that you're disingenuous here..

I don't think there are any sales numbers to compare. I cannot pull any twitch data from 2016 but I remember that lots of people were trying the thing, and you would think that fans of the Horizon and GT franchises would be very interested on watching how they are on VR but that doesn't seem to be the case. GT7 peak numbers dropped from 3k in January to 2.7k in February and the average remains the same, so the GT7 VR mode introduction made no difference in the interest of viewers. Horizon call of the mountain is doing far worse numbers than any other horizon game ATM despite being on newly released technology.

https://twitchtracker.com/games/1575120516
https://twitchtracker.com/games/490374
https://twitchtracker.com/games/518015

For reference Alyx on PC peaked at 300k 3 years ago but it seems that Valve has abandoned VR now, so I think that PSVR2 is dead on arrival.

I’ll just say it, VR will never take off and become mainstream, it’s the modern equivalent of 3D, as good as the technology is nothing that requires glasses never mind a VR headset will reach critical mass.
VR and Gaming won't be main stream. However, there are other applications that can make it main stream.

Problem for Sony is that they’re selling a pheripheral and not a complete VR setup like Meta. In my country it’s a $1400 investment if you don’t have a PS5. Their walled-garden approach isn’t helping either, if they unlock it for PC and SteamVR it would increase the potential userbase a bit.

I mean, I think you'd have a point if it wasn't for the fact that the PS5 has a good chance to be a top 5 all-time selling console... That being said, I do think they need to open up to PC.

You have to look at what the break-even point is for Sony on this and I'd expect that it isn't that high.

Yes I would guess.

I don't think there are any sales numbers to compare. I cannot pull any twitch data from 2016 but I remember that lots of people were trying the thing, and you would think that fans of the Horizon and GT franchises would be very interested on watching how they are on VR but that doesn't seem to be the case. GT7 peak numbers dropped from 3k in January to 2.7k in February and the average remains the same, so the GT7 VR mode introduction made no difference in the interest of viewers. Horizon call of the mountain is doing far worse numbers than any other horizon game ATM despite being on newly released technology.

For reference Alyx on PC peaked at 300k 3 years ago but it seems that Valve has abandoned VR now, so I think that PSVR2 is dead on arrival.

You've literally made up everything you've said.

You would guess?

twitch numbers?

Did anyone think that a VR horizon that can only be played on psvr2 was going to sell as well as console horizon games with much larger userbases? That's patently ridiculous.

How many platforms/devices support playing half life alyx? but yes, let's compare it to a launch title on a peripheral that just launched... you're not even trying here...

Romulus

Yes I would guess.

I've told you this several times but streaming VR is a ridiculous concept. You have almost no idea what the user is seeing in VR. 2d streaming works because it's an actual representation.

And it's funny you say valve has abandoned VR when they're working on another headset. Lol

Last edited:

Fredrik

I mean, I think you'd have a point if it wasn't for the fact that the PS5 has a good chance to be a top 5 all-time selling console... That being said, I do think they need to open up to PC.

You have to look at what the break-even point is for Sony on this and I'd expect that it isn't that high.
100 mil PS5 or not, they’re asking people to buy a fairly expensive peripheral for a closed platform. Getting mainstream appeal will be a struggle.

100 mil PS5 or not, they’re asking people to buy a fairly expensive peripheral for a closed platform. Getting mainstream appeal will be a struggle.

1) PS5 is going to sell more than 100m units, but nice try on the short change there, didn't go unnoticed though
2) This is the launch of the unit, it's not going to be 550 forever. Sony at one point had a 200-dollar PSVR bundle going and this was less than 2 years after launch.
3) I don't think you know what the goals are for the PSVR2. I think your definition vs what it would take to break even or profit from the endeavour are two different things.

DaGwaphics

All Sony has to do is make an all-in-one headset for like $399 and have better games/apps.

Is that all, they should have done that yesterday.

Seriously though, hopefully Sony will invest in full scale quality content. The smaller, tech-demo like VR experiences are specifically the ones that can impress when VR is new but get old rather fast once the initial thrill wears off.

Games with the detail level to really transport you places are the ones that will remain interesting even once you adjust to VR. UE5 should help too, with the way it allows so much detail.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Quest is like Wii to me. Most people get it to play beat saber (wii sports).

I'm no fanboy for PSVR but I feel like it has better games. Or at least more games that appeal to me. Also, PSVR has Astrobot: Rescue Mission.

I feel like PSVR2 will have better games, PSVR was already dated when it released. PSVR2 is gonna be wild if developers really take advantage of it.
Quest 2 as a standalone is never going to have AAA games like PSVR2 due to hardware limitation, you are right, it does feel like the Wii as far as the type of games and graphics it can run. PSVR2 is really competing with PCVR not Quest imo. The advantage that Quest 2 has is that it is PCVR capable and playing those high fidelity PCVR games wirelessly. Since building a new PC and using my Quest 2 for PCVR, I will never go back to playing native Quest 2 games, it's a night and day difference. If the PSVR2 could also be capable of PCVR, it would kill the Quest.

DaGwaphics

Not when that wireless 'cutting edge of VR tech' can only deliver mobile like games it isnt.

Sony is making a lateral move, one away from cheap, experimental games and instead focusing on bring high quality AAA like experiences (hopefully). Wireless isnt everything, in fact, wireless stand alone is the current step backwards in my opinion. When standalone can deliver games that look like Horizon, GT7 and Resident Evil 8 then I'll be impressed, as it stands I'd rather have AAA quality games and wired thank you very much. (and yes, I am fully aware that Horizon isnt really AAA gameplay, but it certainly looks AAA)

You should be able to do wireless and use a powerful PC/Console. Quest can already do that with airlink and that and similar tech will continue to improve over time.

Crayon

We need to get a little farther along in hardware for a playstation of vr. Quest 2 sells really well but ps1 had a steady procession of must have games from beginning to end. The tech baseline will be raised with quest 3 and psvr2 will be an interesting experiment to see if sony can make waves with any first party releases that are up to that GT7/RE8/Horizon standard of graphics. Then we'll see if psvr2 and deckard can boost interest in hi-end enough for any games to skip quest 3 and go for that higher bar.

That's the software side. Hardware has to come a little farther, too. That tiny headset from big screen is the first I've seen that has the low size and weight to make a leap in comfort. Then we need dedicated wireless solutions (not people's comcast routers) with the throughput of a displayport cable, standard eye tracking, and prices like 299 console and 399 standalone. All that will get us to where the hardware itself is not a big hurdle to adoption.

If all that goes well, we might get the playstatoin of vr that sells alot, builds a library with some truly impressive games for everyone, and actually makes money.

Gerdav

VR and Gaming won't be main stream. However, there are other applications that can make it main stream.
Absolutely, it has its purpose, new stadiums are using it to sell season tickets and hospitality boxes etc, architecture and medical training etc etc, but in terms of consuming any form of entertainment it will never be mainstream.

And several racing games, flight simulator, Skyrim...
As I said, how many AAA that are not modded to work in VR, in other words had VR in mind while the game was being made. My point was not many AAA games on PC have been developed, not even hybrid games.
For racing games adding the VR mode afterwards has worked well (such as AC), but Skyrim VR is horrible.
GT Sport on PSVR wasn't a great experience as it was just patched in afterwards, whereas GT7 had VR developed at the same time as the flat version.
(Also, MS flight sim in VR is a mod is it not?)

Psvr 2 must be selling worse than psvr 1 launch aligned right, just down to the fact that it's only available from sony directly in most places outside of the US?

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Can't buy it from places like amazon, or retail in general in the UK.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Psvr 2 must be selling worse than psvr 1 launch aligned right, just down to the fact that it's only available from sony directly in most places outside of the US?

Maybe I'm aroma though.

It’s available everywhere in Sweden, but at $700 so I doubt it’s selling much, I don’t know anyone who bought it.

rofif

Maybe I'm aroma though.

725$ for horizon bundle in Poland.... that's like... whole month of salary for many people here lol.
It is everywhere in stock. It's the only electronic that's in stock

Resenge

You've literally made up everything you've said.

You would guess?

twitch numbers?

Did anyone think that a VR horizon that can only be played on psvr2 was going to sell as well as console horizon games with much larger userbases? That's patently ridiculous.

How many platforms/devices support playing half life alyx? but yes, let's compare it to a launch title on a peripheral that just launched... you're not even trying here...
Dude has the same old tired arguments from years ago. He has a real hate boner for VR.

rodrigolfp

Gamepads 4 Life
As I said, how many AAA that are not modded to work in VR, in other words had VR in mind while the game was being made. My point was not many AAA games on PC have been developed, not even hybrid games.
For racing games adding the VR mode afterwards has worked well (such as AC), but Skyrim VR is horrible.
GT Sport on PSVR wasn't a great experience as it was just patched in afterwards, whereas GT7 had VR developed at the same time as the flat version.
(Also, MS flight sim in VR is a mod is it not?)
ah yes. Only AAA counts, mods don't count, Skyrim is horrible, bla bla bla. And MS FS is oficial, yes.

Lunarorbit

Errr... OK.

I'm excited to buy a psvr2. I never want to give Facebook any money or any more of my data.

One is a electronics/game company and the other is data harvesting sketchiness wrapped up like its an entertainment experience.

ah yes. Only AAA counts, mods don't count, Skyrim is horrible, bla bla bla. And MS FS is oficial, yes.
Now you get it, well done.

(My point still stands, how many AAA PC games have been developed with VR in mind, the answer... Not many. This isn't PC versus PlayStation, this is the state of VR games in general, but at least Sony is going to attempt to change that if they keep their word on hybrid games)

Last edited:

rofif

Wow! $725 and that's retail pricing, not scalping?
Normal media markt pricing. Cheapset there is with horizon bundle... Every retailer got the same price. No scalping since it is plentiful
...so you might imagine why I am returning mine since I dont find it comfortable and poor optics.

Non AAA games and mods are games too. if you only care about AAA, your loss.
I don't think you understand what I am saying. I am saying that the VR games industry needs to change, it needs to get away from short, cheap looking, experimental VR games and make proper AAA type VR games. Unfortunately stand alone VR in its current form cannot handle those types of games and so standalone VR (in my opinion) is holding back VR game development. However, it is the future of VR but only when it can produce much higher quality games.

rodrigolfp

Gamepads 4 Life
I don't think you understand what I am saying. I am saying that the VR games industry needs to change, it needs to get away from short, cheap looking, experimental VR games and make proper AAA type VR games. Unfortunately stand alone VR in its current form cannot handle those types of games and so standalone VR (in my opinion) is holding back VR game development. However, it is the future of VR but only when it can produce much higher quality games.
Agreed, but what I first quoted was you saying about the Quest being able only to be used for wireless mobile games. The device doesn't need to change to receive AAA games. If you are hopping for it receiving "AAA looking" games standalone, very good luck putting a 200W PS5 like APU using a battery on a tiny hot device on your face.

Last edited:

Romulus

Quest 2 as a standalone is never going to have AAA games like PSVR2 due to hardware limitation, you are right, it does feel like the Wii as far as the type of games and graphics it can run. PSVR2 is really competing with PCVR not Quest imo. The advantage that Quest 2 has is that it is PCVR capable and playing those high fidelity PCVR games wirelessly. Since building a new PC and using my Quest 2 for PCVR, I will never go back to playing native Quest 2 games, it's a night and day difference. If the PSVR2 could also be capable of PCVR, it would kill the Quest.

There were a few exceptions. This game absolutely blew my mind for its capabilities for native Quest 2. It even had RT. It looked like something that should be running on a 1060ti at least, not mobile.

Justin9mm

There were a few exceptions. This game absolutely blew my mind for its capabilities for native Quest 2. It even had RT. It looked like something that should be running on a 1060ti at least, not mobile.

I looked at this game but the average and small amount of combat put me off especially at the price it is right now on the Quest store. But yeah I would assume this is one of the best production quality native run Quest 2 games.

Top Bottom