• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft E3 2006 Conference Thread

sangreal

FiRez said:
well the teaser of H2 indeed used the same engine that the final. The problem was that nothing from that footage appeared on the final game.

bungie scrapped h2 engine halfway through development

Catchpenny said:
Good conference, but not mindblowing and a little overhyped by fanboys. Same goes for Nintendo.

To be fair, Sony lowered the bar so I can see why people are thrilled.

They didnt lower anything. They just raised the price

mikeGFG

Banned
Theres also some other interesting things I havent seen mentioned yet:

Xbox 360 Memory Unit (256MB). With four times more capacity than the original, gamers can easily store and transfer even more Xbox 360 saved games, Xbox Live profiles, full Xbox Live Arcade titles and other entertainment content downloaded from Xbox Live Marketplace.

The Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows connects existing and future Xbox 360 wireless accessories to the PC, allowing gamers to enjoy the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, Xbox 360 Wireless Headset and Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel on a second platform.

Lo-Volt

Mike G.E.D. said:
Theres also some other interesting things I havent seen mentioned yet:

Now that's just silly. Announce a larger memory card before you announce a larger HDD. With all the Marketplace demos Live has been offering, isn't it time to keep that bigger HDD promise?

mikeGFG

Banned
Lo-Volt said:
Now that's just silly. Announce a larger memory card before you announce a larger HDD. With all the Marketplace demos Live has been offering, isn't it time to keep that bigger HDD promise?

Shameless move to increase the XBLA size limit? I think so. :lol

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Mike G.E.D. said:
I dunno if this is news or not but, Unreal Tournament is coming to 360.

I expected it, but the recent IGN Feature on UT2K7 for "PC and PS3" had me a little worried.

EDIT: Source. It's in there.

It's good news as far as I'm concerned. I thought I was going to have to miss out on it because I'm waiting for a PS3 price drop now.

PhatSaqs

Banned
DopeyFish said:
burn! Unreal Tournament 07 for 360! AWESOME :D
:lol

I remember when the Sony worshippers were touting this as launch killer app :lol
The lack of anything about it at thier E3 conf. was telling.

I just woke up in Japan after a late night of watching the Nintendo conference until 3am, I kinda forgotten that the MS show was on the same day, so I ate my breakfast and turned on my 360 to play some BF.

HOLY FUCK 32 of my 45 buddies are online... usually it's around 4. "Why?" Checked Market place "OMG" etc. Checked GAF "OMG2" etc

Been said many time in this thread before but 360+Wii for the motherfucking win. Bye bye Sony, maybe if you weren't resting on you laurels and being so arrogant (ala N64 era Nintendo) you might have had a chance.

woodchuck

m0dus said:
I AM THE NIGHT.

but seriously, stealth edit? where, exactly? and how long between your post and mine? :lol

You edited with that information from gamespot saying it was realtime. I meant I was impressed by the Halo 3 trailer not your editing skills.

GhaleonEB

Himuro said:
Lost Planet (awesome)
Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis :)lol)
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (zzz)
Mass Effect (awesome)
NHL 2k7 (eh)
Fear (zzz)
Too Human (awesome)
Viva Pinata (wtf)
Moto GP 06 (eh)
Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth (cool)
Sonic the Hedgehog (I hate you)
Madden NFL 07 (zzz)
World Series of Poker: Tournament of Champions (cool)
Saints Row (lol gta clone)
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (eh)
John Woo whatever (zzz)
Enchanted Arms (AWESOME jrpg get)
Test Drive Unlimited (zzz)
NCAA Football 07 (zzz)
Dead Rising (cool)
Dance Dance Revolution Universe (meh)
Prey (cool)
Superman Returns (cool)
NBA 2k7 (eh)
Crackdown (zzz)
Ninety Nine Nights (cool)
Gears of War (badass)
Pro Evolution Soccor
Fable 2 (awesome trailer)
Forza Motorsport 2 (AWESOME)
You forgot all the Live updates Lumines + Contra FTW

Aryuken

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
I don't know guys.....the Shadowrun stuff I saw in the conference stream was pretty damn tight. I think its got a ton of promise.

The game is probably gonna be fun stuff fo sho.

But why the graphics look so shitty? I don't understand.

Jax said:
the conference had way too much CGI. I would say more than Sony considering how much inengine Sony showed. Forza/Fable 2 might as well not been shown.

I thought the vista/mobile bit at the end with gates was terribly boring.

Highlights:

GOW

HALO3 teaser.

I think MS came off worst in the end. There was no surprises. And nothing new in the end that wasn't a CGI movie.

How old is this?

:lol :lol :lol

the exclusivitiy lasted all 15 minutes before the rockstar PR hit the internet

the whole conference's impact fell apart when that news was announced. Makes you wonder why moore bothered to waste time getting "inked"

Dear Jax,

On behaf of the NeoGaf board, we implore you to start seeing a doctor regarding your current state of mental health.

We implore you to seek help and fast.

Thanks.

Signed,
-NeoGaf Board-

Okay, i left GAF for work, and the last thing i read was that GTA4 was 360 exclusive on nov. 17

not only did i fucking think it was exclusive, but i thought it was THIS YEAR. now it's 2007, and a simultaneous release with ps3/360? gaf had me worried.

btw, we're getting calls all day about ps3 pre orders, and most say theyre getting the $600 version

3rdman

VictimOfGrief said:
Dear Jax,

On behaf of the NeoGaf board, we implore you to start seeing a doctor regarding your current state of mental health.

We implore you to seek help and fast.

Thanks.

Signed,
-NeoGaf Board-

When I read Jax's posts, its hard not to imagine him typing that while holding back his tears. :(

Aryuken

Banned
HEY BlimBlim...what about that U3 game?????

The mere notion now that a game in the works for the 360 right now looks better than Gears of war is well....unreal.

<nu>faust

Himuro said:
Good conference but not great like some fanboys made you believe. Sony's and Nintendo's conferences were much more omfg worthy, it's just that Sony's was ruined because of the price.
i do agree that nintendo had a solid if not spectacular show just like ms did but sony's conference was just plain bad...........it was extremely uninspiring and dissapointing in so many different ways (2 skus,downgradeatons,20 mins of hd gt..etc)....it was truly the one of the worst moments in sony history..sad, really

Vormund

I think Nintendo's conference just beat Microsoft's personally. Wii games just looked like fun. I'll also be picking up a DSlite when it's available here. So they sold me on that as well.

Nintendo>>MS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sony

I was interested in the Windows/Mobile/Xbox360 Live features however. I see a lot of potential there.

Oh btw ignore the sig. I was more in MS's camp prior to E3.

HokieJoe

Whoa at Live Anywhere!

I mean, Jesus, they covered every angle. You can tweak your freaking car configuration in Forza from your cell phone. And this feature is just bad-ass: you’ll be able to tweak your paint job in Vista. :D

GhaleonEB

Kuroyume said:
I'm sure. I already saw the H3 trailer before seeing this stream and I wanted to hear the reactions. :/
Thanks for saving me some time. Watching the reactions to The Trailer was my entire motivation for watching the conference.

I'll probably watch it anyways, tho.

Joe

i really urge you to watch the conference for the bill gates live anywhere pieces. you really cant get an idea of it when you read it, seeing it is a whole other thing. im not saying its mindblowing but their vision for it is very cool and worth checking out.

Joe

not sure if its been posted but the new 1up podcast is up

Shane goes MIA today, so I hop in as we evaluate Nintendo and Microsoft's big press conferences earlier in the day. What do we think of the Wii (and why is Nintendo downplaying a new Mario game?), just how much does Halo 3 excite us, (a lot), and Shane sends his love via text messaging, with his letter grades for both publishers.

Download today's show here, and head on over to the show's official message board to give us feedback and answer our E3 Question of the Day.

Tomorrow: hands-on with the PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 games. You know, the real reason why we're here.

HMMMMMMMM.....

http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/050906.mp3

11.6mb, 31mins

Overreacting about Shadowrun I expected, I'm disappointed they don't have a gameplay trailer up on shadowrun.com yet. I've been lucky to have seen this game beforehand and the gameplay will not let you down.

I can only describe the game like this: Think of Halo 2 or PDZ multiplayer, but mix in the customization of a game like Tribes, add the force type magic from KOTOR, and then to make things really interesting add a bunch of things which have never been done in FPS games before:

- Magic such as resurrecting dead bodies to fight for you, throwing people against walls KOTOR style, teleporting through walls
- Tech upgrades you can buy which make you do cool stuff like see through walls or jump 100 feet in the air.
- Elves running with katanas and chopping people in half, nuff said.

The graphics they are working hard to revamp - they have until next January. It has the same problem that PDZ had - it was originally an Xbox 1 game and I believe it was originally targetted for 2005 before the push for 360 started. I expect it will look very nice when it comes out, considering it needs to handle large amounts of characters jumping around the screen without unfair slowdown on the 360 version.

By the way, technically this is very true:

http://shadowrun.com/behindthescenes/teamblog/carroll_3-31-06_blog.htm
"Most games I’ve worked on in the past only got fun right at the end of the project, but our approach on this one was “prove the gameplay now”, and make it look pretty later. The game is rock-solid, and now that we have a team of artists cranking out the next-gen content, it’s starting to look awesome."

FASA is a very programmer-heavy company - they did a great job making a great game, and the game isn't going to change very much between now and January so I expect them to be cranking 100% on making it look as nice as possible.

This will be the #1 which people come away saying about Shadowrun - possibly the most fun game at E3:

"One thing that’s great about Shadowrun? It’s fun as hell to play. We’ve been playing this game in one form or another for quite a while now. Still fun."

VALIS

Joe said:
not sure if its been posted but the new 1up podcast is up

Shane goes MIA today, so I hop in as we evaluate Nintendo and Microsoft's big press conferences earlier in the day. What do we think of the Wii (and why is Nintendo downplaying a new Mario game?), just how much does Halo 3 excite us, (a lot), and Shane sends his love via text messaging, with his letter grades for both publishers.

Download today's show here, and head on over to the show's official message board to give us feedback and answer our E3 Question of the Day.

Tomorrow: hands-on with the PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 games. You know, the real reason why we're here.

HMMMMMMMM.....

http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/050906.mp3

11.6mb, 31mins

They're making fun of Shane on the podcast for being a chicken and not showing up! :lol :lol

golem

CountZeroInt said:

"Most games I’ve worked on in the past only got fun right at the end of the project, but our approach on this one was “prove the gameplay now”, and make it look pretty later. The game is rock-solid, and now that we have a team of artists cranking out the next-gen content, it’s starting to look awesome."

FASA is a very programmer-heavy company - they did a great job making a great game, and the game isn't going to change very much between now and January so I expect them to be cranking 100% on making it look as nice as possible.

This will be the #1 which people come away saying about Shadowrun - possibly the most fun game at E3:

"One thing that’s great about Shadowrun? It’s fun as hell to play. We’ve been playing this game in one form or another for quite a while now. Still fun."
good to hear.. needs some dystopian urban environs though

GhaleonEB

CountZeroInt said:

This gives me quite a bit of hope. It's not like PD0, which was heading for a November launch. Shadowrun is a 2007 game, so there's time.

Joe

all it took was that little paragraph now im hyped for the game

edit: thanks to g4 i now know too human 4 player co-op on xbl. thats gonna be fun.

Top Bottom