• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Polari

I didn't own a PS3 this time around, but I'll have no hesitation going PS4 over Durango if this is indeed the case. It sounds like the better system anyway, and I've seen enough of Microsoft's anti-consumer bullshit in the past.

Also, how big of an idiot is this guy? Massive PR own goal right here.

Miles X

You know you can run the games without an internet connection and they are only set to expire when your subscription does?
So in theory, you can buy enough time to last a life-time and it should still work.

Besides, it is not like this is really comparable. One is an optional service that's main purpose is provide more while the other one is required and locks all games out.

Is what I was getting at, is a PSN+ subscription going to be across PS3 + PS4 simultaneously?

I know the xbox thing is more serious, I was replying to that guys post about not getting the next xbox because he essentially doesn't own the games.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Their silence will only serve to make it worse. The ball is in your court, Microsoft. If it was not true, you would think they would be quick to deny and douse the flames. As this has turned into a PR nightmare that is taking on a life of it's own.
They've got about a week (their FY13 Q3 earnings conference call is the week after next) to fix this madness before things begin to go really haywire. Though it's only day one so they could issue a "no comments" statement in a few hours. Such a statement won't be much of a cure though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is swelling so big that they really should come out and say no comment instead of nothing.

This is only hurting them.

Into

La maledizione della Terza Generazione can't stop, won't stop.

tumblr_ly6di1Sb7n1r1sf81.gif

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I don't think the vast majority of Xbox owners know or understand what DRM is suppose to be. It's not gonna effect the next Xbox as much as you guys think.

They don't have to understand it, they can just negative feedback from friends, family or sales people and choose not to buy it.

If this continues to develop into a Class 5 shitstorm AND the always-online rumors are true, don't think MS can just throw the big OFF switch on the idea and release the console on schedule. It is likely fundamental to the console's design, functionality, and business model. So if this all bears out in a few months and you're wondering how MS could have been so bullheaded, it's because their only options were to push this through and hope everyone just sucks it up, or make a new console and release it closer to 2015 than 2013.

Is what I was getting at, is a PSN+ subscription going to be across PS3 + PS4 simultaneously?

I know the xbox thing is more serious, I was replying to that guys post about not getting the next xbox because he essentially doesn't own the games.

From what I understand, keep yer PS3 if you want to play your Plus games.

That said, they should keep adding new games to the PS3 rotation for quite a few months after the PS4 launch, and they won't start the PS4 selection for a year until after release.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If this continues to develop into a Class 5 shitstorm AND the always-online rumors are true, don't think MS can just throw the big OFF switch on the idea and release the console on schedule. It is likely fundamental to the console's design, functionality, and business model. So if this all bears out in a few months and you're wondering how MS could have been so bullheaded, it's because their only options were to push this through and hope everyone just sucks it up, or make a new console and release it closer to 2015 than 2013.

Agreed. This always online thing had to have the support of major third party publishers, and cutting the requirement could damage that relationship.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It will once people experience it. It may not dent day 1 or even day 60 sales, but by day 365 people will know.

This is what I expect too. This holiday will be still a sellout but there may end up being huge numbers of returns and complaints once the issue starts seriously effecting people.

Miles X

Wow, no. I imagine MS have already created the ability to switch it off (if this is true)

How does it affect anything inside the box?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So the lesson is don't tweet shite on a quiet news day.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
They don't have to understand it, they can just negative feedback from friends, family or sales people and choose not to buy it.

That or they return it to the store day one because the servers are fucked (as all launch servers are) and pick up a PS4 instead.

triggaz

Banned

Be careful any comments seen as pro MS or anti sony leads to bans

It'd only be fitting that MS also knew how much of a dumbass he is, hence not sharing any of their plans with him.

How the fuck he got hired though, I don't know.

watership

How does greenberg not know who the creative director at Microsoft studios is?

SIGH. Because he's not "THE" creative director of MGS. I've been bitching about this bit of misinformation. He's 'a' creative director. They probably have many dozens of these guys at MGS. He's probably also just working on a single game within the division. Some sites have been calling him an executive within Microsoft, which is also pretty far from the truth. It makes my brain hurt.

Microsoft job postings really give clarity to this. In fact, this posting just went up yesterday for 343 industries.

http://www.microsoft-careers.com/job/Redmond-CREATIVE-DIRECTOR-Job-WA-98052/1733849/

Top Bottom