• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

jaypah

No biggie but I would like to know the PS4 price. I understand that it won't be on the market for months but it would still be cool to let me know how much I'm going to spend.

LMAO, wow Cliff is cold blooded.

Not even cold blooded, just honest. I'd be pissed if that happened to me. MS had better have some kind of constantly saving game state shit figured out because if it's one thing gamers hate it's losing hours of progress and having to play through the exact same shit immediately.

edit: different tweet. That one was cold blooded, lmao

woodypop

I would hope most people are aware that with news this big, the OP is constantly updated. It's a great way to stay informed without having to ask repeated questions or post content that originated on this thread in the first place.
That's subjective and not always true.

My point is that ShadowFox08's mistake wasn't as egregious, nor was it as clearly out of line, as you make it out to be. But hey, if you wanna pounce on an opportunity to wag your finger and accuse someone of not reading the OP, well, whatever floats your boat.

/derail

Oh shit.... lol.

mO6z2KE.png

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/320620609296027648

I'm glad to see he is no longer ashamed of that awesome backstreet boys look.

Into

I'm glad to see he is no longer ashamed of that awesome backstreet boys look.

He Wants It That Way

This thing blew up more than anyone could have imagined and we still do not have the official stamp that this entire online only thing will go through, i can only imagine the reaction if its confirmed.

ironcreed

Banned
As if I needed further proof: my normally very stable internet was down for 15 minutes this evening and was quite unstable.

You could have the world's best connection and you would still be fucked if they had server issues on their end. That is why this is such a horrible idea. Imagine being booted out of a single player game because they are having server issues.

i-Lo

Good lord this thread got crazy. Last time I checked, Orth was making excuses and now the man is fired, always online Durango is sounding more and more confirmed, and MS is doing nothing to stop the wildfire. These next few months leading up to E3 are going to be amazing.

Because in the end, even if it is true, there will buyers for it. Publishers will support this model and potential customers who want to play games like Halo or Forza will be without option.

Ask yourself, how many people really given a damn about the long term and unforeseen consequences if their principles are can altered for the right value? We have even had a thread here proclaiming always online be beneficial to gamers.

If it comes to pass and the model is successful, we'll only have ourselves to blame for it.

Into

The technical aspects i can handle, my internet cuts out maybe once...every 20 days? And maybe for 20-30 min, its not a big problem i can read a book or play my 3DS

That is not my major issue, the issue is that my games would require Microsofts servers, which means that in 5-6 years after Halo 5 is a old game, i will never be able to play it again. Because i have no doubt they would shut the servers down to save money and make me buy Halo 8 instead. They yanked the servers of Halo 2 despite it at the time being pretty popular, at least i can still play Halo 2 LAN or single player today in 2013, but had it been online only that game would essentially cease to exist, that is scary

I think for a lot of people, the fact that their ownership of games would suddenly change to where you feel like you are lending them over a period of time is the one thing they will never accept or buy into. It is indefensible

I just played The Suffering on my PS2, nobody denied me access to the game, the game will work as long as i take care of the disc and my console, just like my sofa, bed, shoes and everything else that does not require a external server to function.

Yeah maybe i am old fashioned but i am not ready to pour hundreds of euros into something, for someone in a couple of years to flip a switch and tell me to F off and buy their newest games.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I thought the whole point of the gif was Durango related? I mean, wasn't it edited to a connection drop punch line in this thread because of this Durango news?
"Hey guys have you heard about the Durango requiring an 'always-online' connection? Would be funny if someone made a gif!"
HcT37l.png

Yes, the gif was specifically created as a response to this rumor.

Revven

I thought the whole point of the gif was Durango related? I mean, wasn't it edited to a connection drop punch line in this thread because of this Durango news?

Yeah it was created from this fiasco because it's an offline tournament match from many years ago and that's what makes it funny; you could be in the GFs for the biggest fighting game tournament of the year and start making this amazing comeback only to have it get interrupted by the internet cutting out at the venue.

Fake edit: beaten

Eusis

Ugh the celebrations in here of him losing his job are not nice to read, even if he was acting like a dick on twitter.
I have to admit a chuckle escaped me when the news he MIGHT have been fired came out, but that was probably more at how the whole thing blew up. It's really not ideal for anyone to lose their jobs, but as EatChildren noted you have to realize how these social services change the dynamic.

njean777

I'm sorry but the man deserved to lose his job after the way he treated potential or existing customers. You don't do that to people and not expect a consequence. I hope he did lose his job as maybe it will teach him some respect for your customer base. Even at the jobs I have hated I always treated the customers with respect as most of the time if you do they will reward you 10 fold, but if you are gonna be an outright dick and mock them or insult them then you deserve to lose your job.

Eusis

Ok, so Durango may have cloud saves exclusively? Perhaps you cannot save anything on your harddrive, only to the cloud? :D
That's kind of worth boycotting the system over in and of itself anyway. I love having the feature, and wished it existed in the 90s when I needed it most (on PC), but that doesn't mean I want to do that exclusively on non-online focused games.

jaypah

Yeah it was created from this fiasco because it's an offline tournament match from many years ago and that's what makes it funny; you could be in the GFs for the biggest fighting game tournament of the year and start making this amazing comeback only to have it get interrupted by the internet cutting out at the venue.

Fake edit: beaten

Right, i understand/know all of that. i was questioning why that poster wanted a .gif that was altered to be about durango already to be altered to be about durango. I was just saying i thought it already was.

It would be funny if someone edited this gif to something Durango related

ibwI1puhNCjqAg.gif

just for the lulz

it just confused me, that's all.

It's a shame that Orth has been fired (if true) especially considering that whatever he was working on at MS is probably just weeks away from being shown to the public, he must be feeling really shitty right now.
Unfortunately when it comes to things like this, there's really no second chances, it's pretty much a given across all different industries to avoid doing what he did.

Dahbomb

I honestly thought that among stuff like Sim City, the MC weighted average change and Aliens Colonial Marines that one of those would be fail of the year. Looks like this year is just getting started.

gazele

Banned
I agree with the people saying that "if" this is what they were planning all along, that it's probably too late to change it now

jaypah

I agree with the people saying that "if" this is what they were planning all along, that it's probably too late to change it now

yup, pretty much everything about the console feature wise is probably centered around that idea.

Also, drinking game idea for the 720 reveal. Take a shot every time someone says the word "connected".

j/k, I don't want to be responsible for people dying.

yup, pretty much everything about the console feature wise is probably centered around that idea.

Also, drinking game idea for the 720 reveal. Take a shot every time someone says the word "connected".

j/k, I don't want to be responsible for people dying.
hSSbxwr.jpg

itsgreen

Anyone else finding shinobi602's avatar strangely appropriate with what has happened because of him XD

I don't think its fair to shinobi to say this happened because of him, he might feel uncomfortable with that. In the end it's Orth who demeans his customers and their valid concerns and objections.

I don't think its fair to shinobi to say this happened because of him, he might feel uncomfortable with that. In the end it's Orth who demeans his customers and their valid concerns and objections.

I'm not blaming shinobi for what has happened, Orth should have been careful with his tweets, it's just the avatar is strangely appropriate fo the thread XD

Top Bottom