• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

onQ123

iZ4Xc7uzxvJUA.gif

LOL

Einbroch

Banned
Thing is people should always have the option. Not everyone wants to play the game with other people. Want to enable that feature? Sign in online. It's not hard and gives someone the choice.
I agree, but forcing online DOES have an upside to a developer because if they KNOW someone has to be online, then they can implement neat features that may be central to the experience.

I'm totally against always online, by the way.

Okay. Shinobi hears that a dev at MS doesn't have a problem with an always online device. He goes "oh shit". And then the dev says something that might or might not be stupid on his Twitter account, followed by a clarification that it was not meant to be a negative comment. I reckon lots of people on GAF have a Twitter account. Lots of casual stupid things are said on Twitter every single day. Some are said by people who are more well known, some are said by people who are less well known but have many detractors, some are said by absolute nobodies.

At some point we have to ask ourselves why this matters so much, and why we want to give importance to it. If someone says something on this forum which is frowned upon, we can deal with it on this forum. If someone says something which is actually newsworthy, there could be something to discuss. But there has to be a line somewhere right? Let's be rational and sane people here. There's no story here, there's no scandal here, and there is nothing to discuss here really.

If there is nothing to discuss why is every single major gaming outlet discussing it?

We know it's not 'proven'. They haven't announced it, but if I go outside to get in my car and see bird shit all over it, I can assume there were probably birds.

I don't think anybody is denying the fact that this is still rumor and that we are all still waiting on the official announcement. But multiple leaks from different sources all pointing to the same thing and then a CD working for the same company along with an ambiguous tweet from another developer ... come on man.

This IS newsworthy. There is a reason that there is a quote from almost every single gaming news site running with this. That doesn't happen often when there is 'no story'.

It's already a huge thread on major forums such as here (biggest gaming forum), reddit (biggest 'forum') and tons of comments in all the respective websites running with the story.

So tell me, how is this NOT something worth discussing if EVERY SINGLE GAMING SITE is discussing it?

It was a joke that most didn't really get. My fault for being too obtuse.

Jesus. I just wasted a few minutes of my life typing that.

Sid

This is providing so much bad press for MS' next console that (if false) by the time they announce that it is false it simply wouldn't matter.

Ingeniero

LOL, M$ is really rolling the anti-hate machine.

M$ boss : Always online is a must
M$ slave: Ppl will not like this boss, even more after Failablo 3 and DisconnectCity 5
M$ boss : then we will CHANGE THEIR MINDS.

Brace yourselves.

LOL, is this a serious post? come on man....

massoluk

Banned
Well shits, things sure escalated. I didn't think it's that such a big deal, he was just trolling around with this pal on twitter. Internet is scary.

sneaky77

If there is nothing to discuss why is every single major gaming outlet discussing it?

Well to call those "articles" discussing it or even journalistic is a bit too much, I clicked on a couple of those but is basically taking this thread and putting it as click bait headline. But thats just the impression i got in the couple I read

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I like the Wii U and I laughed out loud at the end of that gif, Sunhi. Brilliant stuff.

At Gooster's post, too. This thread is delivering.

After looking at Adam Orth's LinkedIn profile, I simply can't be the only one who can see he is a Creative Director for an unannounced title. The way some of these posts are coming across, you'd get the impression he is the Creative Director for all of Microsoft Game Studios.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So he just confirmed on twitter he was trolling. I'm guess that's going to get little news on GAF though. Continue everyone.

Yeah, that couldn't be damage control at all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

We know it's not 'proven'. They haven't announced it, but if I go outside to get in my car and see bird shit all over it, I can assume there were probably birds.

I don't think anybody is denying the fact that this is still rumor and that we are all still waiting on the official announcement. But multiple leaks from different sources all pointing to the same thing and then a CD working for the same company along with an ambiguous tweet from another developer ... come on man.

This IS newsworthy. There is a reason that there is a quote from almost every single gaming news site running with this. That doesn't happen often when there is 'no story'.

It's already a huge thread on major forums such as here (biggest gaming forum), reddit (biggest 'forum') and tons of comments in all the respective websites running with the story.

So tell me, how is this NOT something worth discussing if EVERY SINGLE GAMING SITE is discussing it?

Sorry man. It is worth discussing, and I appreciate your writeup, I really do.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thank you sir. Thank you.

Well played indeed. Made me laugh out loud at work.

Looks like it time.....................................

to hold on to your butts /yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

So he just confirmed on twitter he was trolling. I'm guess that's going to get little news on GAF though. Continue everyone.

You may as well go back to the safe haven of Xbox threads that aren't this one if you're going to not read some of the details that have been uncovered.

Also, highly doubt Microsoft would even say anything about this at e3. They'll probably show the benefits of an online console like always instantly being able to connect to friends or whatever or get skype video calls, but they definitely won't mention the downsides like games shutting off without an internet connection or not being able to run without one.

Top Bottom