• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Ya...rain tanks the frame rate too. I was getting what felt like sub 30 fps with hitches in parts of the tutorial during rain (docked).

How can all the reports we've been getting be so off? All I've been hearing is a super locked 60fps 'even in splitscreen'.

baconcow

In docked mode? If I had to guess, maybe somewhere in the middle. 900p.

Edit: Unsourced on the Minecraft Wiki, it says 720p in docked.
It was announced 720p docked and undocked on the dev stream (reddit thread with Twitch source video).

Not seeing the framrate dropping at all. Even in rain.

From the Time review:
time.com said:
Performance is still fantastic here, the exception being large jungle biomes, where the frame rate appears to drop by half (I'd wager 30 frames per second, though still on the side of acceptable).

Ok the controls are really, really not jiving with me at all. I'm trying to get used to them (I've only played for like... less than an hour so I'm sure I'll get used to the layout eventually) but I hate them so far and it's making one of my favorite games a total struggle to play which is really frustrating and bumming me out in a big way.

Is there ANY way to get the PC version of the crafting table in the console versions? I get that for the majority of people, using a joystick to control a cursor on screen to craft things and manage inventory would be boring or cumbersome but honestly I would prefer that so so much over having to go through menus and submenus trying to find the thing I want to craft instead of just letting me fucking craft it! Haha! Fuck!

Also, gyro controls for looking around would be a godsend since the JoyCons are so small and sometimes it feels like I'm cranking my thumb unnaturally to use the right stick. I imagine if I ever get a Pro Controller that would be a non-issue but I don't know that I want to spend another $70 right now when I just spent $30 for the game. That'd be $100 just to play Minecraft. Ughhhh...

People who started out on the PC version of Minecraft and then went on the the PS3/PS4/X360/Xbone/Vita versions, how did you cope with the control and crafting changes? Any advice you could give to make it more manageable?

golem

People who started out on the PC version of Minecraft and then went on the the PS3/PS4/X360/Xbone/Vita versions, how did you cope with the control and crafting changes? Any advice you could give to make it more manageable?

You can select classic crafting in the options, ui menu

And personally I swap A/B under controls to make my mind work better with the buttons, since my last long minecraft sessions were on xbox

Ok the controls are really, really not jiving with me at all. I'm trying to get used to them (I've only played for like... less than an hour so I'm sure I'll get used to the layout eventually) but I hate them so far and it's making one of my favorite games a total struggle to play which is really frustrating and bumming me out in a big way.

Is there ANY way to get the PC version of the crafting table in the console versions? I get that for the majority of people, using a joystick to control a cursor on screen to craft things and manage inventory would be boring or cumbersome but honestly I would prefer that so so much over having to go through menus and submenus trying to find the thing I want to craft instead of just letting me fucking craft it! Haha! Fuck!

Also, gyro controls for looking around would be a godsend since the JoyCons are so small and sometimes it feels like I'm cranking my thumb unnaturally to use the right stick. I imagine if I ever get a Pro Controller that would be a non-issue but I don't know that I want to spend another $70 right now when I just spent $30 for the game. That'd be $100 just to play Minecraft. Ughhhh...

Unfortunately it just kinda sucks compared to the PC version, I went through exactly what you're going through when I went from the PC version to the 360 version when it came out, it's just not great, but you sort of get used to it after a while but even though it's nothing in comparison to the PC version in terms of precise and fast controls, you can still make some awesome shit in it.

I am tempted to pick up a copy for my Switch but at $40 (AUD) I might have to give it a pass as I've already spent way too much on Minecraft in the past and I can't really justify that price tag at the moment.

Omerta

Spent a little time with it and I found the controls much easier to work with when I swapped the A and B buttons around making them much closer to the PS4 control scheme (which I'm used to).

And personally I swap A/B under controls to make my mind work better with the buttons, since my last long minecraft sessions were on xbox

OH MY GOD THANK YOU

I'm willing to bet future Switch games would also be compatible with the Switch Pro Controller. :)

True! I do eventually want one, I just mean the cost to me right now today. Maybe once my tax refund finally gets to me and I've moved into a new place (gotta be out of my current place by the end of the month) I'll feel a little more comfortable putting the money down on it.

Unfortunately it just kinda sucks, I went through exactly what you're going through when I went from the PC version to the 360 version when it came out, it's just not great, but you sort of get used to it after a while but even though it's nothing in comparison to the PC version in terms of precise and fast controls, you can still make some awesome shit in it.

I am tempted to pick up a copy for my Switch but at $40 (AUD) I might have to give it a pass as I've already spent way too much on Minecraft in the past and I can't really justify that price tag at the moment.

I'm gonna try the classic crafting option golem suggested but yeah I'm hoping that I eventually get used to the button layout. I wish it was fully customizable, I'd rather open my menus with the shoulder buttons and punch/place things with the face buttons.

OH MY GOD THANK YOU

True! I do eventually want one, I just mean the cost to me right now today. Maybe once my tax refund finally gets to me and I've moved into a new place (gotta be out of my current place by the end of the month) I'll feel a little more comfortable putting the money down on it.

I'm gonna try the classic crafting option golem suggested but yeah I'm hoping that I eventually get used to the button layout. I wish it was fully customizable, I'd rather open my menus with the shoulder buttons and punch/place things with the face buttons.

WAIT WHAT?!?!?!?, When did they add this?...............please don't tell me it was there all along.....because if so....my god.

AGoodODST

I just had to delete my first game to make room for the required 2.1GB save. I need an SD card :p

I haven't played this since the 360 but I'm looking forward to playing it with my wee boy.

Nakasan

Never played Minecraft... Is this a good jumping on point? Might be a silly question but I honestly don't know anything about Minecraft and with sooooo much media out there for it I don't know where to begin!

My biggest gaming blind spot for sure.

Still struggling with the controls but having classic crafting is a game changer. Thank you so much golem!

Never played Minecraft... Is this a good jumping on point? Might be a silly question but I honestly don't know anything about Minecraft and with sooooo much media out there for it I don't know where to begin!

My biggest gaming blind spot for sure.

Any version is a good place to jump in! Depends on if you're more comfortable with mouse and keyboard or controller controls maybe, but if you haven't played one before then it's not like you're gonna have to get used to the other. Console versions appear to have much more hand-holding when you start out than the PC version, with hints and tips to help first timers.

Wil348

The performance issues definitely sound like bugs to me. Happens with every Minecraft console launch and they are usually fixed (with the exception of PS4's screen-tearing and stuttering).

Nakasan

Still struggling with the controls but having classic crafting is a game changer. Thank you so much golem!

Any version is a good place to jump in! Depends on if you're more comfortable with mouse and keyboard or controller controls maybe, but if you haven't played one before then it's not like you're gonna have to get used to the other. Console versions appear to have much more hand-holding when you start out than the PC version, with hints and tips to help first timers.

Handholding! In this instance, just what I was after and wanted to know. Cheers

Seems like many PC people are having problems with controls? If I come from PS4/Xbox controls, will it be fine?

Probably!

Left stick moves you, click in to change to 3rd person camera. R1 and L1 scroll through your inventory, L2 is "use", R2 is "hit", A is jump, B is drop, X is inventory, Y is... I can't remember. Right stick controls your view, click it in to crouch. That the same?

So I havent played any Minecraft yet, just once watched my brother play it on XBox One...

Is there a video or something that explains me, what this is about? And what I need to know? :D

Thank you :)

So I havent played any Minecraft yet, just once watched my brother play it on XBox One...

Is there a video or something that explains me, what this is about? And what I need to know? :D

There's like a million of those video.

The game begin in the morning, start gathering some soil and some wood. When the night (and monsters) is approacching go for an hole in the terrain and wait until the morning (don't worry about that, when you can craft a bed and properly slip, there's no downtime 'till morning).

Now you can start experimenting freely, build some wooden tools and enjoy yourself, and don't forget to keep improvong your shelf/cavern/house/castle!

A good strategy is exploring in the morning and build/craft in the night.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Tips for a relatively smooth first night. Might be worth just trying to figure stuff out as those very first attempts can be fun as you're flailing around being chased by monsters with no clue what you're doing :)

First day go punch some trees, make a wooden pick, a crafting table and mine 11 stone blocks. From that make a furnace and a stone pick (much more efficient than a wooden one.

Dig a hole into the side of a hill for a makeshift shelter. Drop the furnace and crafting table into it.

Use the furnace to burn a block of wood and turn it into charcoal. Use that to make some torches and put on the wall. Now when night comes you can fill in the entrance with dirt or whatever and still see what you're doing (I've spent many first nights in literal pitch black and it isn't fun). Leave one block open so you can see when it turns to day again (be ready to fill it in if you start getting shot at by skeletons..)

ASTROID2

Have devs ever said anything about updating console versions with the new mechanics that are in the PC version. Consoles are still on 1.8 mechanics.

First time playing playing Minecraft. I'm actually quite liking it. Survival mode is great just to explore the world. I keep dying tho and probably skipped some tutorials accidentally like how to get weapons. But I'll figure it out. Create mode is also nice. And the battle mode while not much depth, is also a great experience.

One question (for now) in create mode why do the enemies I put down just...vanish after awhile? I also selected a blank world but it spawned a village aways away from me with a whole bunch of zombies. Went to kill them since I didn't want them there but then they respawned. >_< (I have the game set to always night if that makes a difference. But they vanish while in create mode so idk.)

Also after Mario Maker, not being able to test something then have it rewind is annoying. But overall having alot of fun. Was worried I'd regret the purchase but even if I can't get into create mode I think its wirth it for the others. Too bad you can't play/create with randoms online outside of the battle modes, i'll have to add some of yall soon! :D

Glen Tennis

Neo Member
Coming from the pc version the controls sure feel strange at first but otherwise this seems like a good port. The framerate seems fine but I haven't seen the jungle biome yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Monsters spawn if the light level is too low - so at night if you haven't lit up an area, or indoors if you don't have lighting

If create is set to peaceful then I think you get no monsters so that might be the cause of your manually created ones disappearing

Monsters spawn if the light level is too low - so at night if you haven't lit up an area, or indoors if you don't have lighting

If create is set to peaceful then I think you get no monsters so that might be the cause of your manually created ones disappearing
I haven't seen a peaceful option. Only easy, which I have it set. I'll look into the options next time I start it since I'm going to bed now.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to light up some areas or switch it to daytime I guess. I just like the look of nightime more. :p

So if I've understood correctly, there's no way to have a 24/7 server available in this version (without keeping the game running on a Switch)?

Top Bottom