• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

DD

Scary shit at the Italian Formula 4 with the 18 years old Brazilian driver João Vieira.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96tefD7y2E

And here's the onboard camera where you can actually hear the driver screaming.

https://www.facebook.com/sitegp/videos/1051728568210040/

He's screaming because he was being burned and tought that the car was on fire. What happened is that a broken radiator hose ended up inside the cockpit driping boiling water over his lap. Thank God he's okay. His career is uncertain, though.

"I race without sponsorships, only with the effort of my dad and some friends who help me. The team itself was helping me a lot, charging me a lower price than they would charge other drivers and letting me work in the workshop to help with expenses, but it's us who pay for the expenses in case of a crash. And that one was huge. I don't know how much it will cost, but I know it won't be cheap. I honestly don't know how we will do it."​

Broken car and broken dreams.

B.K.

Jeff Gordon is in the 88 AT LEAST the next two races. Concussions are going to end Dale Jr.'s career eventually. He's had too much trouble with them.

Chris R

Oh, and I think I'll be able to get to Talladega for the fall race this year... Sweet!

edit: 'Dega ticket purchased, shame rental cars and hotel prices mean sticking around in the South for a few extra days and going to Martinsville is a no go.

xrnzaaas

:D

111oqsu5.jpg

Jamesways

Alright, pics from the IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship race weekend at Road America last weekend.

Had a fantastic time, we got interviewed by Justin Bell and made it on tv, we chatted with a ton of teams and drivers, I got plenty of selfies with my favorite drivers, and the weather couldn't have been better. We camped out there this year, I've never done that before, and it was a blast. I doubt I'll do a hotel weekend again.
And the main race had an absolutely crazy finish, a full course yellow then green with 3 laps left for a mad dash with multiple incidents which turned the GT order completely upside down.

I also did the charity bike ride around the track Friday night. All I can say is the games I've played for years lie. I could not believe how narrow the track is and the elevation is really lost on many of the corners in the games. It's pretty much all uphill from Canada Corner to the finish.
On the track-
28787773372_4838ba054f_b.jpg

The Patron Porsche GT3 Cup series was there as usual, and once again gave some very entertaining racing.
28787781832_cd08726119_c.jpg

And the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo series was there as well. Huracan GT3s, amazing looking cars.
28277506913_78a436a88b_b.jpg

28274798724_6b2af58e1c_b.jpg

28274804734_8515c3b45d_b.jpg

And a few pics of the main Weathertech series cars-
28274824984_91ee4c7a37_b.jpg

28274829384_e36cc62f1a_b.jpg

28274837634_8659e9f993_b.jpg

28861389146_1444f301fd_b.jpg

28787799512_1fc63a2cea_b.jpg

28817098511_36b2b52332_b.jpg

28274834794_b1588d3c4d_b.jpg

28275713684_827a7f03ae_b.jpg

28608532890_1864fe1015_b.jpg

28607556720_4878a2e40e_b.jpg

If you've never been to a Daytona or American LeMans format race, go! Everyone is super friendly, and the environment is wide open for the fans to create a great experience. The paddock is open and if you ask when it's not terribly busy they'll let you in the garages.

And of course I try to take a pic with Bibendum every time I go.
They changed his eyes this year, kinda odd now.
28277181443_167775cf43_z.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
MotoGP riders blasting Red Bull Ring as dangerous track for motorcycle racing

Scott Redding said:
"It's the problem with all the tracks now, everything's f**king designed for cars that don't want to go in the gravel,"
"And they put walls everywhere. Not having gravel is okay, but then we need to have a f**king long run-off."

Jezbollah

Lorenzo must be pretty happy with direction which Ducati is going

Let's not kid ourselves, this track was tailor made for Ducati. If they do the same at Motegi (where everyone else knows) then I'll start to think that they're really getting close to Yamaha.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lorenzo probably cried in the morning when he saw rain falling down. He is totally lost in the rain since that horrible Assen crash

Yamaha do seem to be on the wrong rear tire. Playing the long game I suppose, hoping the others tear up the softs and have to swap bikes.

TJP

Cal saved his season with that ride. Amazing to watch and first Brit to win a premier class race in 35 years. Currently laughing and shaking my head at the Odd comments in the post race interview; don't know if I'd call other riders whimps but whatever.

Rossi did what Lorenzo couldn't; many words will be written about Jorge's odd decision to pit when doing 2:08's along with Cal and Rossi at the time of the race. Yamaha will be pissed...the chief mechanic for Lorenzo sure was.

Marc managed his tyres and loses just 4 points to Rossi and is still 2 wins and change ahead in the championship.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Holy crap at Iannone's front. All the centre tread is just gone, a hollow groove, and most of the rest is barely there.

He was lucky that he was even able to finish with that damage

Marquez surprised me the most. He did not gamble and he nicely hold advantage in WC standings

Jezbollah

What a loco race day.

First, McPhee wins his first on an underpowered bike, then Cal goes balls deep with hard/hard and wins it. Fuck me.

First British top class GP win since 1981.

What have I just seen?

Mastah

Holy crap at Iannone's front. All the centre tread is just gone, a hollow groove, and most of the rest is barely there.

It seems both factory Ducatis had the same problem!

Great MotoGP race, really enjoyed that. Fantastic rides by Top 6, but why, oh why Lorenzo pitted when he was starting to enjoy benefits of his tyre choice? :/

3 new race winners in last 4 races.

One of the Aussie commentators suggested it was the massive wings putting too much force on the fronts of the Ducatis.

Great to see so many new winners this season.

Jezbollah

It seems both factory Ducatis had the same problem!

Great MotoGP race, really enjoyed that. Fantastic rides by Top 6, but why, oh why Lorenzo pitted when he was starting to enjoy benefits of his tyre choice? :/

3 new race winners in last 4 races.

So did Brad Smith. And Redding had troubles that some think were tyre related.

Mastah

Both Smith and Redding were on soft wets, which they destroyed. Lorenzo had soft front and hard rear, the same combination as Rossi and he was super quick last few laps before that stupid gamble :/

Holy shit just started watching MotoGP after hearing the guys Alt+F1 talk about it, last week was a pretty good race, this one was just totally insane! Probably my favorite race I've seen, I can't believe how many people came from the middle/bottom of the pack to finish in the top 5. And Lorenzo's pit to change bikes when he had the fastest laps on the track was crazy! So much drama!

Juicy Bob

Yeah, I asked a mod to do it since it always bugged me that it said '2014' even though we still use it two years later.

Thank you kind mod!

TJP

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/lorenzo-explains-mystery-of-brno-pitstop-confusion-808781/

Apparently Lorenzo's front tire also tore up, the crew didn't notice when he came in because the torn part was on the ground.
Thanks for the link; I've been waiting for Motomatters to update with their post race thoughts.

The comments on Motorsport.com & Crash.net are a reminder as to why I don't bother with the vast majority of MotoGP websites and forums any longer.

Top Bottom