• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

So... Kyle Larson is legit. Not that we didn't already know that.

How long before one of the power teams snatches him up. Two years? One?

dubc35

Toyota is going to rally the Yaris?! The more the merrier in WRC IMO. #datmuleisnotalooker

https://twitter.com/OfficialWRC/status/447735253885390848/photo/1

Bjas11mCEAAj4fV.jpg

Shaneus

Hope they do what they did with the Corolla in Australia in the late 90s... drop a motherfucking Celica GT-FOUR engine in the sucker.

Would rather have Subaru or Mitsubishi back over Toyota.

I haven't even watched any WRC this season, it's dead to me without the driving God :(

Moto GP UK TV ratings after its switch to pay TV:

2013 - 1.67m [BBC]

peak: 2.12m

2014 - 187k (BT Sport)

peak: 230k

Ouch!

Silly Dorna.

Audi has unveiled the tech specs and livery of the '14 R18 e-tron quattro.

They've dropped the exhaust-based ERS, (but kept the flywheel MGU from last year), upped the engine to 4.0 l and will run in the 2 MJ per lap ERS bracket at Le Mans, (I think Porsche has said they'll utilize the full 8 MJ allowed by the regs).

Interesting that Audi will effectively be running the minimum hybrid power available to factory LMP1 teams, with Porsche likely opting for the maximum. The WEC prologue test at Paul Ricard is in 3 days, so we'll finally see what Toyota has come up with in the TS040 then, if not before.

EDIT: Looks like no SRT Vipers at Le Mans this year. :(

Marquez is a fucking monster. Seems like Rossi is in great form, should make for an interesting season.

Yeah Marquez is truly something special. Not only had he just recently broken his leg but also had almost no testing. To come out from that, set pole and win the race in a tough battle was just awesome. It was definitely the Rossi of old but he does occasionally still have flashes of brilliance (like his win in Assen last season), the question is can he consistently run at that sort of pace for a whole season. I hope so but imo its too soon to say. Marquez will only get better if he can stay bad crash free.

Fucking amazing race. GO VALE what a brilliant comeback!!!

Yeah to start from 10th and take it to the last lap against Marquez shows he still has it but like I said above the question is can he do that consistently.

So sad to see so many random crashes. But the ending was amazing nice close racing by Rossi and Marquez.

This always happen at the start of every season, its part of bike racing. Also the track itself isn't exactly renowned for its grip and front end loses are always common here. The season really should start in Europe but I know money plays a role here. The lack of atmosphere at the track kind of puts a damper on it. Watch the difference when they are in Jerez, a place where there is huge interest in MotoGP, Qatar pretty much zero interest.

moojito

Hopefully you guys in this thread will keep us informed of when moto gp races are coming up. Because the bbc has no coverage any more I completely missed the Qatar race :<

Dead Man

Would rather have Subaru or Mitsubishi back over Toyota.

I haven't even watched any WRC this season, it's dead to me without the driving God :(

Ouch!

Silly Dorna.
That is pretty brutal. As long as Dorna gets paid they won't care though, which is why promoters running TV licensing leads to this sort of shite.

Hopefully you guys in this thread will keep us informed of when moto gp races are coming up. Because the bbc has no coverage any more I completely missed the Qatar race :<

Yeah this does suck for you guys. At least here One HD still does the main race live but finding out there is no more Moto2 and Moto3 coverage really disappoints me. It was always great racing and I loved my 4 hour stints of bike racing every couple of weeks. I missed out on Jack Millers first win, that sucks.

The situation in the UK is far worse though, I hope it changes for you guys for next season. For a sport that isn't hugely popular anyway, it really seems like a dumb thing to do.

Jezbollah

Money talks. And there is a highlights package for MotoGP if I remember correctly.

This was always going to hit MotoGP's exposure hard - but if the BBC don't want to keep a sport, the pay companies will have easy pickings (see F1).

Also - if any of you have heard a MotoGP bike in real life, you will know how absolutely fucking loud they are. It does amuse me to think that you could easily hear one MotoGP bike over the sound of an entire 2014 F1 grid of cars.

Dead Man

Money talks. And there is a highlights package for MotoGP if I remember correctly.

This was always going to hit MotoGP's exposure hard - but if the BBC don't want to keep a sport, the pay companies will have easy pickings (see F1).

Also - if any of you have heard a MotoGP bike in real life, you will know how absolutely fucking loud they are. It does amuse me to think that you could easily hear one MotoGP bike over the sound of an entire 2014 F1 grid of cars.

It's less about the BBC wanting to keep something, and the promoters fucking fans by putting it on pay TV rather than free to air.

soontroll

Banned

Ouch!

Silly Dorna.

Dorna is a sack of shit so it's expected really. I remember they tried to fuck up the motogp subreddit because we used images from their official website. Why would you threaten fans who are promoting your business for free?

I just use a decent quality stream and then torrent the HD version when I can. I used the BBC for the majority of last season and got the online video pass for the last two months (and for the first test). Problem is that it's too damn expensive so screw them for taking it off free TV.

Jezbollah

It's less about the BBC wanting to keep something, and the promoters fucking fans by putting it on pay TV rather than free to air.

It's the promotors trying to do what promotors do - make money. Same thing as what has happened to Aussie V8s too.

So, thanks to the TS040's more powerful hybrid system, Toyota is talking of a lap time improvement of 5 to 10 seconds at Le Mans, but if this year's F1 fuel-flow shenanigans are any indication, the race pace will be somewhat slower.

It's good to see variety is alive and well in the top class of sportscar racing. Gas vs diesel. Natural aspiration vs turbocharging. A V4, a V6 and a V8 with, respectively, 8, 2 and 6 MJ of ERS boost. Porsche and Toyota will be leaning heavily on their hybrid systems, Audi markedly less so. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Dead Man

So, thanks to the TS040's more powerful hybrid system, Toyota is talking of a lap time improvement of 5 to 10 seconds at Le Mans, but if this year's F1 fuel-flow shenanigans are any indication, the race pace will be somewhat slower.

It's good to see variety is alive and well in the top class of sportscar racing. Gas vs diesel. Natural aspiration vs turbocharging. A V4, a V6 and a V8 with, respectively, 8, 2 and 6 MJ of ERS boost. Porsche and Toyota will be leaning heavily on their hybrid systems, Audi markedly less so. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Yeah, I love the technical variation in LMP. F1 could learn a bit from that I think.

I thought they were changing the rules to improve visibility. Talk about tunnel vision.

Indeed, vision looks to be quite obstructed. And more importantly, it is ugly.

nny

Today there is WRC action on one of the best sites the sport knows: Fafe. It's an exhibition event, so spetacle is put up front. Big drifts, huge crowds. The event is shown live on a Portuguese open channel, you might find a stream if you search for RTP2. The next transmission is starting soon and then there's another in 1h30.

Today there is WRC action on one of the best sites the sport knows: Fafe. It's an exhibition event, so spetacle is put up front. Big drifts, huge crowds. The event is shown live on a Portuguese open channel, you might find a stream if you search for RTP2. The next transmission is starting soon and then there's another in 1h30.

awesome thanks!

nny

Yes i found that stream and it works. Sadly i dont understand anything.
There seem to be a lot of spectators.

Yes, there is a big tradition of rallying here, huge crowds are a guarantee! There have been talks to bring the Rally back to the North of the country (it is currently run in Algarve, in the South), because that's where the big crowds (and more spectacular roads) are.

Yes, there is a big tradition of rallying here, huge crowds are a guarantee! There have been talks to bring the Rally back to the North of the country (it is currently run in Algarve, in the South), because that's where the big crowds (and more spectacular roads) are.

will RTP stream the rally next weekend too? I love rally but they never stream it online anywhere.

nny

will RTP stream the rally next weekend too? I love rally but they never stream it online anywhere.

Yes, they will show some live stages: SS1, SS10, SS13, SS16: here's a timetable.
("Directo" means "Live", those are the ones you want).

SS1 is a circuit-like stage, in Lisbon; the rest are on gravel roads.

Usually the Power Stage of every rally is transmitted on TV; unfortunately that's the only stage that is usually shown live. If you search for Sports channels where you live, odds are they will show that.

The last part of today's Fafe Rally Sprint is about to start!

thanks for the time sheduale.

no tv channel is broadcasting the wrc live where i am living. sometimes i am lucky and i am able to find a stream somewhere. but quality is mostly bad because its not an unofficial stream.
anyways i enjoyed the fafe rally a lot!

nny

thanks for the time sheduale.

no tv channel is broadcasting the wrc live where i am living. sometimes i am lucky and i am able to find a stream somewhere. but quality is mostly bad because its not an unofficial stream.
anyways i enjoyed the fafe rally a lot!

That's a shame; well, a sports channel here (SportTv) shows live the Power Stage of all the rallies...it's not much but better than nothing.

Yes, the Rally stage here is always entertaining; this year I saw it on the TV, it's not as good as seeing it live on the road, but since I didn't go I got to spend some time on the service park and I got a picture with Ogier, some autographs, so it was a positive day as well!

TylerD

750 laps of NASCAR racing at the paperclip today if weather doesn't make an impact... Not a bad thing to look forward to!

thefro

IndyCar starts this afternoon at St. Petersburg

ybauAF6.jpg

Sato on pole for IndyCar Opener
In one of the most entertaining qualifying sessions in recent memory, Takuma Sato emerged from the rain, the puddles and the changing conditions to capture the pole position for the 2014 Verizon IndyCar season opener.

Starting his second year driving for A.J. Foyt, Sato's best lap of 1:01.868 in the ABC Supply Dallara/Honda edged Tony Kanaan's 1:02.164 and Ryan Hunter-Reay's 1:02.217 to earn the second pole of his five-year IndyCar career.
Tornado warnings and heavy rains pushed qualifying back four hours and the key was figuring out the rapidly-drying track.

"It was a very challenging session but I quite enjoyed it and that's probably because I had such a great car," said the 37-year-old Japanese native who had been quickest in practice. "In Q2 I was nervous for a minute but then everything worked out."

Sato was referring to the wild west show in the second session when he began on rain tires but quickly switched to slicks as the lap times started plummeting. With only a couple minutes left in that session, he was ninth before rocketing to the top of the 12-driver chart.

"The boy knows where the throttle is and he done a helluva job," praised Foyt. "I think this team has become a good one in the past two years and I'm just glad I'm here to see it this year."

Complications from surgery a year ago forced Foyt to miss this race and his team's first victory in 10 years at Long Beach as Sato claimed his initial IndyCar win.

In the Fast Six, Tony Kanaan and Sato posted almost identical laps halfway through the 10-minute session before the latter broke through with a lap that couldn't be touched in the closing minutes by defending IndyCar champ Scott Dixon, four-time polesitter Will Power, Marco Andretti, RHR or T.K.
"It feels good, I think it's been like three years since I was in the Fast Six," said Kanaan, making his debut for Chip Ganassi in the car driven by Dario Franchitti the past five years. "Lately I've been used to seeing 16 or 17 cars in front of me in circuit like this so this makes me very happy and this team is great."

Code:
Pos Driver               Team/Engine          Time       Gap       
 1. Takuma Sato          Foyt/Honda           1m01.8686s
 2. Tony Kanaan          Ganassi/Chevy        1m02.1637s  +0.2951s
 3. Ryan Hunter-Reay     Andretti/Honda       1m02.2167s  +0.3481s
 4. Will Power           Penske/Chevy         1m02.3955s  +0.5269s
 5. Scott Dixon          Ganassi/Chevy        1m02.4454s  +0.5768s
 6. Marco Andretti       Andretti/Honda       1m02.9595s  +1.0909s
 7. Carlos Munoz         Andretti/Honda       1m03.3955s  Round 2
 8. Jack Hawksworth      Herta/Honda          1m03.5738s  Round 2
 9. Ryan Briscoe         Ganassi/Chevy        1m03.6206s  Round 2
10. Helio Castroneves    Penske/Chevy         1m03.6635s  Round 2
11. Sebastian Saavedra   KV/Chevy             1m03.8374s  Round 2
12. Mike Conway          Carpenter/Chevy      1m03.9618s  Round 2
13. Sebastien Bourdais   KV/Chevy             1m15.8337s  Group 1
14. Simon Pagenaud       Schmidt/Honda        1m12.3741s  Group 2
15. Mikhail Aleshin      Schmidt/Honda        1m15.9111s  Group 1
16. Justin Wilson        Coyne/Honda          1m12.5890s  Group 2
17. Carlos Huertas       Coyne/Honda          1m16.8105s  Group 1
18. Juan Pablo Montoya   Penske/Chevy         1m12.6994s  Group 2
19. James Hinchcliffe    Andretti/Honda       1m17.0155s  Group 1
20. Charlie Kimball      Ganassi/Chevy        1m13.0048s  Group 2
21. Graham Rahal         Rahal/Honda          1m52.9601s  Group 1
22. Josef Newgarden      Fisher/Honda         1m13.1170s  Group 2

thefro

wow, Montoya is backmarkering it up today in his IndyCar return.... 4th from last at the moment.

His teammates are #1/#2

wow, Montoya is backmarkering it up today in his IndyCar return.... 4th from last at the moment.

His teammates are #1/#2
Kinda expect it to take some time for him. He's been driving soapbox derby for too long.

Incidentally, pretty fun race at Martinsville today.

Top Bottom