• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Seen Recently |OT| October 2017

swoon

Awesome! Thank you very much.

Since you've seen more movies than anyone I've ever met, I had to go contemporary. If you've seen any of these already, let me know.

1. Still Walking
2. Right Now, Wrong Then
3. Personal Shopper

*Bonus post-Holocaust double header*
Ida / Phoenix

nice, i've wanted to see most of these!

swoon

according to imdb, i've seen under siege 2, king of hill and bride of chucky. that's a lot of iconic heigl films.

dyliepew

Hey, everyone.
Anyone have a recommendation on a horror movie to watch in honor of Friday the 13th tomorrow? I'm not too huge on 80's US Horror flicks. I'd like to watch a horror film made by either a Japanese or French director. Not too much experience with either, so any obvious choices would be appreciated as well!

Sean C

Ingrid Goes West (2017): So, so good. Variously plays like an attempt like a attempt at social media versions of The King of Comedy and Taxi Driver. I don't know anything about the background of this project, but this feels like a role that had to have been conceived from the start as a vehicle for Aubrey Plaza, because it's hard to imagine anybody else in the lead role. While she's using a lot of her usual mannerisms, Ingrid is the polar opposite of the Plaza type as established in Parks & Recreation -- if April cared about nothing, Ingrid cares way, way too much.

By coincidence, I ended up watching this movie after reading a recent piece in the Atlantic about social media's relation to alienation and unhappiness, though one of the best parts about this movie is that it actually understands that
Ingrid herself is the main problem, rather than the person she fixates on (a lesser film would focus on painting Taylor as a phony needing to be taken down a peg, but she's a functional, basically innocuous individual)
. I think this is probably my favourite performance from Elizabeth Olsen, as well. O'Shea Jackson Jr. is good in the movie's most sincere part, even if he
ironically ends the movie by supplying Ingrid once again with the enabling device for her unhealthiest impulses

kevin1025

Banned
Bone Tomahawk

With Brawl in Cell Block 99 coming out on digital today, I figured I’d see the filmmaker’s previous film first. Good god, this guy knows how to make a movie. Fantastic characterization, great pacing, and some insane cinematography. Its sheer brutality, especially during that third act, was harrowing. The lead up to the third act was incredibly tense. And it has a wonderful cast, Richard Jenkins being my favorite of the bunch and playing a character that isn’t normally one he portrays but he pulled it off beautifully. Super glad I finally got to watch this one, and now I’m set for Brawl during the day!

It’s also depressing looking up Zahler’s history, he’s had so many scripts optioned but they never came to fruition. If they were even half of what this movie was, we missed out on some pretty good stuff. He’s also a novelist, I might check out his work.

TissueBox

Hugo still has such pitch-perfect charm. My personal darling of 21st-century Scorsese.

Best 2000s Scorsese lists MoGAF..??

1. Wolf of Wall Street
2. Hugo
3. The Departed
4. Shutter Island
5. Gangs of New York

(Have yet to hear Silence.)

Imax is only intended for films shot with Imax in mind. If you are not taking advantage of that huge verticality and its scope then there's no point.

Window

Wolf of Wall Street
Silence
The Departed
The Aviator
Gangs of NY (I need to give this a re-watch)
Hugo
Shutter Island

To be honest, while I think they're all good films I can't say I love any of them.

sephiroth7x

I posted a few times about movies and never even saw the bit at the bottom of the first post about introducing yourself and going over my favourite movies/actors etc.

1. What's your favourite Movie?

The Graduate / The Lion King / Inception

2. Who's your favourite director?

Christopher Nolan / Billy Wilder / Del Toro (Sometimes)

3. Who are your favourite actors/actresses?

Actor - Christian Bale
Actress - Emma Stone

4. Favourite Genre(s)?

Science Fiction / Supernatural / Animation

5. What's your favourite performance in film?

Dustin Hoffman in Graduate

Recent Watch:

Return to Sender - 3/10

Went in with no preconceptions of the movie and watched it based off the fact that in my youth I thought Rosamund Pike was absolutely stunning (In Die Another Day) and just thought... why not?

Kind of wished I hadn't. Its predictable, slow and to be honest, really pointless. Even the title of the movie is somewhat of a pointless reference to a plot point that is mentioned maybe three times? Its the kind of movie, that a more skilled director could have condensed into a half hour short without losing anything. Pike was decent enough in the movie, though I hope she doesn't become typecast in this type of role that seemed awfully similar to her portrayal in Gone Girl.

sephiroth7x

Hey, everyone.
Anyone have a recommendation on a horror movie to watch in honor of Friday the 13th tomorrow? I'm not too huge on 80's US Horror flicks. I'd like to watch a horror film made by either a Japanese or French director. Not too much experience with either, so any obvious choices would be appreciated as well!

Hausu is a great pick!

If you haven't already seen Martyrs have a look but it is pretty unrelenting and not for everyone. Its also probably more thriller than all out horror...

Window

So the local theatre is having a Belmondo retrospective of sorts this weekend and I'm not sure what to watch.

That Man from Rio
Leon Morin, Priest
Le Doulos
Pierrot le Fou (seen it before but never on the big screen).

Any recommendations?

Hey, everyone.

Les Diabolique or Eyes Without a Face for French.

Cure or Kwaidan for Japanese.

Silence by a landslide

then:
Departed
Wolf of Wall Street
Shutter Island
Gangs of New York

Yeah, this is how I’d rank em too. Haven’t seen Hugo yet.

Watched Brawl in Cell Block 99 on the big screen yesterday. It's pretty fucking awesome. Vince Vaughn is awesome in it. Of all these prison movies that have come out this year, this is by far the best.

9/10

Watched an Egyptian noir called Incident at the Nile Hotel, when a corrupt cop uncovers an elaborate and dangerous scandal. Honestly, its incredible how well Cairo and noir go together. It's one of the best noir movies I've ever seen. The main actor in this blew me away.

9/10

Good Time the new Robbert Pattison movie, movie has a fucking insane soundtrack. Great ride the movie. Nasty little movie. Watch in a theater with a good sound system.

9/10

Hey, everyone.

The Wailing.

It's Korean but it's excellent.

Blader

I agree Silence is probably Marty's strongest film this century, but I'm still partial to The Aviator as my favorite of the bunch. It's become one of those things that I'll stop what I'm doing and watch whenever I catch it on tv. I think I watched it like twice in a row one Christmas, lol

Also: I second Les Diabolique as a French horror recommendation. Really creepy.

I think Hugo is at the bottom. It's a bit of a failure. It's clearly trying to appeal to adults and kids, and it fails. Kids hated this movie.

I agree that Wolf of Wallstreet is his best movie of the 2000s. That movie is cut like a motherfucker. It has a different cutting rhythm to the rest of his movies, and it feels fantastic.

1. The Wolf of Wall Street
2. The Departed
3. Gangs of New York
4. Shutter Island
5. The Aviator

Haven't seen Silence yet. Seems to be a frequent theme here.

dyliepew

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll probably end up watching The Wailing first since it's on Netflix, but I'll find a way to watch the others recommended because they all look great. I noticed some are a part of the Criterion Collection, so maybe I'll finally get a sub to FilmStruck to watch them!

Cure looks great, but I'm not seeing any websites to rent it from. The DVD is really expensive on Amazon as well.

TissueBox

Forgot Aviator again, even when making the list I said not to forget it and I did. Superb film, would slip it just under Departed.

And yes... the itch in me to see Silence is real. Will get around to it soon hopefully..!!

UrbanRats

My list is the same as Disco's, for Scorsese's recent films.
Haven't seen Hugo nor Gangs of NY though..

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll probably end up watching The Wailing first since it's on Netflix, but I'll find a way to watch the others recommended because they all look great. I noticed some are a part of the Criterion Collection, so maybe I'll finally get a sub to FilmStruck to watch them!

Cure looks great, but I'm not seeing any websites to rent it from. The DVD is really expensive on Amazon as well.

Wailing is ace.
I think it was my top or second movie of 2016.

kevin1025

Banned
I would probably go:

The Wolf of Wall Street
Gangs of New York
The Departed
Silence
Hugo

But Shutter Island, The Aviator, and his Rolling Stones concert/doc Shine A Light are awesome, as well.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The Aviator
The Aviator
The Aviator
The Aviator
The Aviator
Come in with the milk
Come in with the milk
Come in with the milk
Come in with the milk
Come in with the milk

thenexus6

Hellraiser

I watched it for the first time almost exactly one year ago. Watched it again last night, with my girlfriend who knew nothing about it.

I love this film, too bad the series went to shit almost immediately (although I guess 2 is okay). From the outside you assume its just another slasher movie but its the total opposite. Awesome effects, and music too and I just dig everything about it.

I bought the Arrow blu ray just to watch the making of documentary.

shaneo632

Downsizing (2017) - 5.4/10. What a disappointment this was. The first half is actually really solid and enjoyable, as it focuses largely on the goofy fun of the whole shrinking procedure...but it drives wildly off a cliff when Payne largely ditches that in favour of a hamfisted, patronising environmental message, complete with a very questionable Vietnamese caricature (though the actress in question tries her hardest to make the part work). Easily Payne's worst film and needlessly overlong at 135 minutes too.

You Were Never Really Here (2017) - 6.6/10. Joaquin Phoenix and Lynne Ramsay are a mighty pairing in a film that's ultimately more interesting than it is entertaining. Essentially an art-house riff on a cliched suspense thriller, the film does occasionally test patience even with its mere 85 minute length, but the visceral impact of the violence, the gorgeous visuals and Phoenix's searing performances make it worthwhile.

The Snowman (2017) - 3.4/10. The Snowman? More like The Sandman, because I lost count of how many times I almost fell asleep watching this fetid pile of warmed-over shite. The cinematography is lovely and the location work is great, but otherwise this is an aggressively boring thriller where not a single actor can rise above, not even Fassbender. Val Kilmer's weird cameo, where his lines have clearly been replaced in ADR, has to be seen to be believed. I just didn't give a shit and it's one of the most tedious mainstream Hollywood films starring name actors I've seen in years. The finale is easily one of the most anti-climactic and unintentionally comical I can remember for a film like this
the killer is about to shoot Fassbender but just randomly falls through the ice and drowns...lol

kevin1025

Banned
The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)

Noah Baumbach's wonderful film about family, success, and perception of life. There's so much good stuff going on in here, about how someone remembers their childhood and growing up, how someone else can see that differently, how family members can talk to someone else but not you, there's some legacy in there, the resentment and the things left unsaid... it's all fantastic. And then you add in some great dialogue, some perfect performances (who knew Adam Sandler still had this in him?), and beautiful direction by Baumbach. It doesn't hit the absolute lovefest I have for Frances Ha, but it's my second favorite of his. Easily a 9/10 for me, and yet another contender for the year.

This year has been weirdly good for smaller films. And hopefully people watch this on Netflix!

shaneo632

The Babysitter (2017) - 6.2/10. A horror film directed by McG that goes direct to Netflix isn't exactly an easy sell, but colour me surprised that this was actually a fun, undemanding little romp.

Visually disciplined with some wonderfully gnarly gore effects and a script rife with pop-culture references that skirt clear of being obnoxiously over-affected, this is a tight 85-minute gorefest that also benefits from its talented cast of largely unknown actors.

You probably wouldn't want to pay £10 for it at the cinema, but for free as part of your Netflix sub on Friday the 13th with a few cold beers? Absolutely.

The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)

Noah Baumbach's wonderful film about family, success, and perception of life. There's so much good stuff going on in here, about how someone remembers their childhood and growing up, how someone else can see that differently, how family members can talk to someone else but not you, there's some legacy in there, the resentment and the things left unsaid... it's all fantastic. And then you add in some great dialogue, some perfect performances (who knew Adam Sandler still had this in him?), and beautiful direction by Baumbach. It doesn't hit the absolute lovefest I have for Frances Ha, but it's my second favorite of his. Easily a 9/10 for me, and yet another contender for the year.

This year has been weirdly good for smaller films. And hopefully people watch this on Netflix!

Anyone who liked Royal Tenenbaums should check this out.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Before I Fall - Teenager Groundhog Day. Would rate 7/10 until the last 15 minutes, where it plummets to 3/10.

2:22 - Would say this is an ok movie. I liked the story, but some of the actors were not that great so it felt a little amateur at times.

Also binge watched all the Underworld movies over the last week or so, was nice to clean all those storylines up.

kevin1025

Banned
Brawl in Cell Block 99

This guy likes his slow burn before the big payoff! Vince Vaughn is surprisingly great in this, a giant, hulking drug trafficker who ends up over his head and on a mission through the prison system. He does tear apart a car with his bare hands in the first five minutes, so... Both this and Bone Tomahawk have this dire desperation in them, where it seems like nothing good could possibly ever happen, and both times it worked for me, because the director knows when to sprinkle in that hope to get you through. The relationship with Jennifer Carpenter has some issues, but she is good here, and it takes a turn I didn't expect. The violence is jarring, just like in his previous movie, and leads to some interesting moments. But this slow burn feels a little longer, and some of the stuff I could have done without. But I'm grading it the same as Bone Tomahawk, even though I liked that one better.

It's out today digitally, if you're looking to see it!

Now back to spooky movies!

Top Bottom