• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first attempt at playing an RPG in Japanese. Quite confused

Shouta

I started Japanese in Middle school but I was reading manga and watching TV shows my second year in high school. That's like the equivalent of a quarter or two of college Japanese. I was understanding more than 80% until my Senior year in high school. However, I'm the exception and I'm rather advanced compared to even my classmates because of my natural interest in it. My Japanese teacher always complained that I knew too much. :lol

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
Sweet, this thread and guidetojapanese.org is turning out to be very informative. I like how the site is explaining how it won't attempt to help you translate Japanese to proper English since the languages are so different in the first place.

It's also good that people are empathizing with me now. It is badass to attempt to learn a new language yet some of you people were making fun of me and I do not understand why.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
speedpop said:
So aside from the basic Japanese crap that I know.. I've never bothered with kanji.

The thing is, I'm studying Mandarin now and most likely will for the rest of my life. Will this probably help me get over kanji later on in life if indeed I do bother to learn Japanese later on?
In ways. While the languages are different, knowing the characters basic meaning in any language can prove useful.

Shouta

If you're studying Mandarin, that'll help immensely in learning Japanese at the later stages since you'll know what the symbols will mean even if you don't know how to pronounce them.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The first import RPG I played through was FF5 thanks to Kohler's old walkthroughs. Sigh, I really regret not sticking with Japanese in undergrad, but I only needed 3 classes in it to satisfy my graduation requirements, and my CS classes were taking up the rest of my schedule.

threeball

Banned
FF4 comes in English, right? Why struggle trying to play it in a non-native language when you could easily play it in your native language?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
threeball said:
FF4 comes in English, right? Why struggle trying to play it in a non-native language when you could easily play it in your native language?
The challenge, the learning experience, and when your Japanese gets good enough and you have played the game in English it's cool (in the older RPGs especially) to notice some things that have been changed or interpreted in different ways. I do it because it's doubly efficient. I play games and work on my Japanese.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
dark10x said:
You really don't make spelling errors in Japanese, though (I mean, I suppose you could by missing a character or using an incorrect kanji...but it's not the same thing as English). The language is phonetic, you see. The actual composition of words and such is piss easy compared to English. What you hear is what you get.

errr

tsu and su sound quite a bit a like and the little tsu sound can cause a lot of errors when you are just listening and trying to spell. but yeah it isn't as messed up as English spelling that's for sure

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Blackace said:
errr

tsu and su sound quite a bit a like and the little tsu sound can cause a lot of errors when you are just listening and trying to spell. but yeah it isn't as messed up as English spelling that's for sure
At first, sure, but it isn't a problem at all once you become used to hearing it. English spelling is a nightmare, though. It's amazing how many wierd exceptions there are in the language.

I mean, why on earth do we have stuff like patio and ratio (among the sea of other similar word pairs)?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
dark10x said:
At first, sure, but it isn't a problem at all once you become used to hearing it.
been studying for 6 years and living here for 3... still causes me problems on words I hear for the first time. And because there are not a lot of sounds there are a lot of words that are pronouced almost the same... much more than English... God, Paper, and Hair.. are all the same word:lol

but I love Japanese! And am so glad I have learned what I have and live here

Top Bottom