• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
HI there. Good to be back. This forum looks pretty nice now. Also it's great that smilies are back after all these years. :cool:
Were you banned too? lol

Also, it's not NeoGAF smileys until :lol makes its triumphant return!!!
KuGsj.gif

This one too!

Dw8z79U.gif

(just kidding not that one)

JimmyJones

Banned
Thanks for overturning my ban! It's good to be back! Not gonna lie though, I'm still scared to post here because of how bad the mods used to be.

dolabla

Thanks for overturning my ban! It's good to be back! Not gonna lie though, I'm still scared to post here because of how bad the mods used to be.

No need to be worried. The mods on here now are ace. This is the healthiest GAF has been in a long time. You pretty much have to screw up big time (like personally attacking other posters for example) just to get banned on here now.

What you were used to and what it is now is not even on the same planet. And I say that literally.

Dunki

Yeah as long you do not personally attack people on the board during discussions it is fine so you really do not have to worry about it anymore.

American

Banned

I have to agree. The new Mods here are lovely. I had an interaction with Arkhan who was very friendly and polite. Can't fault them at all :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The amount of work this must mean... it's crazy. I'm seriously considering asking a moderator (or EviLore EviLore ) to revive the old account I had many, many fucking years back. This was cool to ask for, right? I won't get in trouble?

Also, how would the merge work? Would the other account get deleted completely? What about the accounts' post history and such? Which "registered date" will I get?

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The amount of work this must mean... it's crazy. I'm seriously considering asking a moderator (or EviLore EviLore ) to revive the old account I had many, many fucking years back. This was cool to ask for, right? I won't get in trouble?

Also, how would the merge work? Would the other account get deleted completely? What about the accounts' post history and such? Which "registered date" will I get?

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

It's no prob. I can merge a secondary account into your main, yeah. You'll get the oldest join date (achievement points and OG gaffer status :goog_geek:), the posts on the other account will become part of your post history under your current username, and you'll keep your current account info. Just PM me with proof of ownership of the other account and the username.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's no prob. I can merge a secondary account into your main, yeah. You'll get the oldest join date (achievement points and OG gaffer status :goog_geek:), the posts on the other account will become part of your post history under your current username, and you'll keep your current account info. Just PM me with proof of ownership of the other account and the username.
Oh boy, I can't believe I'm doing this. Here we go, folks!

Yoshichan

IT FUCKING HAPPENED.

Joined Sep 1, 2006

I feel immortal.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yoshichan fusing with an ancient version of himself to become an even stronger and fearsome being sounds like a good side plot for an anime.

:p

Last edited:

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Evilore handing out phoenix down left and right.

Welcome back everybody!

Last edited:
Decided to give GAF another chance, it seems to be a much better place now. I had an old account from 2009 but I don't have access to the email anymore. :/

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Decided to give GAF another chance, it seems to be a much better place now. I had an old account from 2009 but I don't have access to the email anymore. :/

PM with the email address used and the username of the account, any other proof of ownership/identity between the two accounts that’s relevant for confirmation. I’ll review and can merge with your preferred username like with Yoshichan above if everything checks out. Worst case if I think your old account was a giant asshole or something I will decline to perform the service but won’t ban your present account. Cool?

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

Man I cant even remember my old username amir0x banned. Kingkoopa? Moku? It's been so damn long. It used to have an animated gif of Mario blowing off my middle finger...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Man I cant even remember my old username amir0x banned. Kingkoopa? Moku? It's been so damn long. It used to have an animated gif of Mario blowing off my middle finger...

PM me with anything you remember about the account and I'll find it. And I can review it and merge potentially. Amir0x didn't ban many people so maybe you were a dick, I dunno, or maybe he was abusing his power like what I demodded him for, but I'll give you a fair assessment in the here and now.

Yoshichan

Yoshichan fusing with an ancient version of himself to become an even stronger and fearsome being sounds like a good side plot for an anime.

:p
Seriously, yes! This feels good.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Worst case if I think your old account was a giant asshole or something I will decline to perform the service but won’t ban your present account. Cool?

We're definitely living in a computer simulation if his old account's username was literally "Giant Asshole".

Last edited:
Hey, it's good to be back. Thanks again EviLore EviLore

I never bothered to make a REEra account but did use it for news from time to time. I'll stay away and laugh at their insanity through the known channels.

Fat4all

Banned
ah, forgot i still had this account

good thing i do, so i can at least laugh at this thread

lol

please perma ban my account

thanks in advance, science dog

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit

lol

Got to love how mature these folks are. Coming in to act as a child and can't even simply ignore the site. Hilarious.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

lol

Darn Fat4all, you should check NuGAF. Give it a proper assessment. Afterwards you can still leave whenever. :)

The Mule

You know, I hung around on NeoGAF after that shit went down, but it just hasn't been the same. Alt-right nutters have basically taken over, and even if you stay away from the threads they patrol there's not enough traffic to keep interesting discussions rolling. I just don't see how it can recover from something like this...

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/neogaf.com

graph

And even if it does return to similar numbers it's just going to be predominately Trump supporters and their ilk. Not the kind of place I want to hang around in.

It's a shame too because Resetera isn't a decent alternative either.

I guess I'll just spend less time on the Internet.

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
You know, I hung around on NeoGAF after that shit went down, but it just hasn't been the same. Alt-right nutters have basically taken over, and even if you stay away from the threads they patrol there's not enough traffic to keep interesting discussions rolling. I just don't see how it can recover from something like this...

graph

And even if it does return to similar numbers it's just going to be predominately Trump supporters and their ilk. Not the kind of place I want to hang around in.

I keep seeing this claim of alt-right controlling Neogaf, but whenever I ask for receipts they never show any. Are you the one to actually show receipts of alt-right controlling the site? Otherwise, I am going to assume you are full of it like the rest that make this claim.

Now, if you dislike the increasing moderate/conservative/right-leaning opinions, you could participate and give another left/liberal opinion on the forum without making such baseless claims. That would be very welcome.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned

graph

“Everyone I disagree with is alt-right”

You dropped your ink and swam away on this one:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/boys...arent-complaint.1463377/page-3#post-253321508

Then your next post was the quoted one complaining about about a vague alt-right boogeyman infestation. An inability to back up your arguments is not justification to claim everyone else is evil.

Joe T.

I think any forum with the number of active members NeoGAF had before the split is bound to face major issues that plague the quality of discourse one can encounter there. It just becomes an incredibly daunting task to effectively moderate, especially in the post-smartphone era where brief replies have become more common. A middle ground of some sort would be ideal.

You shouldn't be worried about it becoming a one-sided forum only welcoming to Trump supporters, that they're able to speak freely here rather than being completely silenced/shunned is to everyone's benefit and there doesn't appear to be any shortage of those on the opposite side of the political spectrum willing to discuss the issues with them.

MayauMiao

graph

I rather hang out on a site that actually have productive discussion from both sides than being on one that is nothing but an echo chamber where opposing opinion gets an instant ban.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

graph

I am not really seeing any alt right people here. In the political test thread we have most people here still lean left. We do have some people on the center and right now too.

I did vote for Trump. I am happy to acknowledge the good and bad from his presidency. I don’t think any of my beliefs are all that crazy. I am educated. I work a high paying job. I volunteer within my community. I help out my neighbors. Half the US voting population is Republican. Like real life you may run into some people that voted Trump here. I do not think any of us here on GAF are bad people or “alt right”.

Dunki

graph

People here deend and are against Trump it is a more healthy mix to be honest. I for example do not like Trump but I also think some stuff he does like moving the embassy are good things. What I notice that it is more a anti extremist ide which again goes for the right and the left.

If you want to talk about something I am sure you can do this if you only want to get support and everyone be on your side you will not get this here.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

lol

You know i actually felt like your request for a permban should not have been given and that you were invited to patrol the new place around. I remember from ERA that you are a prolific poster, but in this case it seems rather disappointing that you only took this thread for GAF as a whole when you made that post. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time i have spotted this attitude around this week.

And you know what? I get it. I get it that you take this thread (Which is one of the more popular ones so easily to find even from other places) and think: ''Hey, looks like good old Evilore is just trying a gamble with this unban thing but they also shit on ResetERA. As expected'' but doing so would forfeit any nuance that is present in this thread and the other. I can't speak for every GAF user out there that participates in these threads, but you have users that clearly are purely focussing on criticizing the site you frequent with proper arguments rather than ''Lol ERA is a scheisshole''. Not that i agree with such statements, mind you.

But i don't think its just to scapegoat the entirety of GAF as a whole and just be like ''So i can laugh at this thread.'' I don't equate ERA as a whole either, i criticize what deserved and deserves to be criticized, and with arguments as to why. You can do the same with GAF and you would realize that your account won't be on the line, atleast not as instant as it is on ERA with The Names. Because GAF certainly isnt a pitch perfect place either (And neither is Kiwi, or Voat.).

If you did gave this place a proper try-out, you would find that the staff is rather invisible and only acts when accordingly, you have Evilore (frequently) talking about his past events and atleast trying to make a right with initatives like this. I know its enticing to be cynical in this and claim its a rather desperate effort, but whilst that is a point of discussion, GAF in general atleast tries to improve. This in my eyes is rather the opposite with ERA, where the QoL goes down by the month.

I don't like the us versus them mentality, in fact, i would love to spur a discussion with some ERA mods on cooperation between the two sites. Do note that i am not referring to The Names here - In my opinion, this group is the sole catalyst of why the QoL has been going down. I was criticized by this by a fellow ERA member, for which i gave a very lengthy explanation. If you still happen to visit here (I doubt you will now that you are permbanned), just look at my post. Its harsh, yes, but it also contains a lot of nuance on a topic where the ERA thread was pretty clearly unison in sound: Fuck the alt-right, fuck Kiwi, fuck everything. That post highlights that this isn't always the case.

And that is just one topic where the QoL is just really subpar. I can't speak for the other users in these threads, but atleast i will try my best to criticize ERA as fairly as possible and not throw needless insults into the mix. I would appreciate it if you or any of those folks addressed (or even from ERA) will read that post and this one, and understand that, atleast for me, it isnt about shaming ERA. It is about highlighting those parts that do not wish to be highlighted, that very much want to operate in the shadows without taking accountability for their actions. That is the site you are frequenting now. The very least you can do is be vocal about this and highlight this yourself.*

*Not that on ERA you will have much chance to do so with their autodefaulting ''consult us via PM if you have questions'' and near instant banning, mind you. But you can always try.

With that said, its a shame you aren't sticking around Fat4all. You will be missed.

You know, I hung around on NeoGAF after that shit went down, but it just hasn't been the same. Alt-right nutters have basically taken over,
You are right that it has not been the same, because a lot of folk moved over to ERA. Thanks due to The Names its making a rather negative name for itself outside ERA. You can easily look this up if you are willing to.

FWIW, i think its a bad development - Because it diminishes the presence of the many great people that are on ERA aswell. Their contributions, people like Theorry and Chandoog, like Brainchild and Dr Caroll, their contributions go unlighted because The Names generate the controversy on their own. Effectively this means that like the famous Pokemon attack, ERA is actively hurting itself in its confusion. And confusion is the name of the game here.

I don't think that GAF is occupied by alt-righters predominantly - For instance, i am not one of them. The problem with terms like alt-right, far left is that they are so overused as a broad brush that they have lost any meaning or value. I come from a country with more than 10 political parties, all with their own slights and nuances - Alt-right is a term hardly used here. It is why i would refrain from using this term on a place like GAF (or ERA) - Because i doubt everyone is pro-Trump or anti-Trump. A Rainbow has more colours than black and white, so why people the two colours out that a rainbow, by nature, does not even have?

EDIT: I notice a lot of users are quoting your post and voice their opinion on it, so it may seem like you are getting dogpiled. I just want it on the record that i hope i haven't contributed to this with some edgy oneliner or some snark, but that i have tried to properly address your criticism.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

You know, I hung around on NeoGAF after that shit went down, but it just hasn't been the same. Alt-right nutters have basically taken over, and even if you stay away from the threads they patrol there's not enough traffic to keep interesting discussions rolling.
What is alt-right exactly to you? I understand it as someone focused on white identity and wanting a white ethno-state. I've yet to see people post about wanting a white entho-state around here but there have been talks about preserving culture in face of mass immigration which a valid concern IMO.

I think we should all just ignore coordinated attempts to ruin the mood in threads and disparage the site/it's members in general. They happen regular as clockwork every time there is a positive development, uptick in traffic/users or even just a good vibe like in this thread with older members that wrongfully banned in the past being freed and everyone being in a good silly mood. Just ignore otherwise half the thread becomes about those users and refuting their talking points etc... it just distracts from topic at hand which is exactly what those posters want.

Going back on topic: EviLore EviLore I also think C++ is King was unfairly banned around October, possibly as a part of the October moderation problem so I'm not sure if it will be adressed in time anyway, but he was a good intelligent poster who really contributed greatly to the programming community thread. It would be cool if he was unbanned. Also thanks again for unbanning Laramie, no idea if he will post again or even uses those emails anymore but I appreciate that you took the time to look into and right a wrong that was based on a moderator's personal beef rather than something that was deserved.

KINGMOKU

Wow. Evilore is the man. I never thought when I was banned back in 2008, I would ever be posting here again, (after being permabanned about a simple joke about okami wii not having the wax paper filter and how much better it looks)and not only am I now doing that, I have my entire history restored when I joined in early 2005 after just browsing GAF instead of joining for a long time.

It's good to be back, and in good standing after so many years. My old name then was moku, and I always posted a ton of photoshops, and gifs. So to all you other old timers re-joining, welcome back! It's been a long, cold winter of discontent.

Redneckerz

I think we should all just ignore coordinated attempts to ruin the mood in threads and disparage the site/it's members in general. They happen regular as clockwork every time there is a positive development, uptick in traffic/users or even just a good vibe like in this thread with older members that wrongfully banned in the past being freed and everyone being in a good silly mood. Just ignore otherwise half the thread becomes about those users and refuting their talking points etc... it just distracts from topic at hand which is exactly what those posters want.
I am going to agree with this and with that, also put forward a comment towards my prior post. I just wanted to make a clarification on the current state of GAF, something i have only done once before that comment. I geniunely believe ERA and GAF could work together... just not with part of the staff as it is right now. Apologies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Going back on topic: EviLore EviLore I also think C++ is King was unfairly banned around October, possibly as a part of the October moderation problem so I'm not sure if it will be adressed in time anyway, but he was a good intelligent poster who really contributed greatly to the programming community thread. It would be cool if he was unbanned. Also thanks again for unbanning Laramie, no idea if he will post again or even uses those emails anymore but I appreciate that you took the time to look into and right a wrong that was based on a moderator's personal beef rather than something that was deserved.

Yeah I remember the user in question, 'course. Let's tackle this right now. That username isn't correct though...here we go:

https://www.neogaf.com/members/cpp_is_king.80369/#recent-content

Does that look permaban worthy post activity to you? Looks more like they were agreeing with my policy decisions at the time and got nuked for it. User-facing message:

uiaVhro.jpg

Alt-right nutter?! :|

I already have this ex-mod's full ban list from October pulled for review after flagging them for dubious banning during the incident, but yeah, let's correct this particular injustice straight away.

Unbanned. Emailing them.

I am going to agree with this and with that, also put forward a comment towards my prior post. I just wanted to make a clarification on the current state of GAF, something i have only done once before that comment. I geniunely believe ERA and GAF could work together... just not with part of the staff as it is right now. Apologies.

Oh I wasn't talking about your post when I said it was attempting to derail, I was talking about The Mule and Fat4All in this particular thread but various other posters in previous threads and the trend that I'm seeing. So apologies if it seemed like I was aiming that at you, definitely not my intention, I've had no issues at all with your posts in this thread :)

EviLore EviLore Thanks for reviewing cpp_is_king's ban, it was one that I noticed as he was a huge contributor to the programming threads and similarly he seemed to get banned unjustly for actually agreeing with policy at the time which I couldn't quite get my head around at the time. Again thanks for the transparency and being open to requests. :D

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I love how we have a cuck comment in the first 5 replies. I also love how I get invasive ads the second I log in. But I love most how EL’s carefully selected mods are now the bad guys.

I love how we have a cuck comment in the first 5 replies. I also love how I get invasive ads the second I log in. But I love most how EL’s carefully selected mods are now the bad guys.

Redneckerz Redneckerz for reference this is the kind of post/poster I was talking about. I'm going to take my own advice and ignore his antics. I would advise others to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom