• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

Alright, GAF. I'm reaching out. I'm ready to invest in something more than a smartphone to take photos and I need help.

I've spent hours and hours researching cameras, yet I still I feel perplexed. So many options.

After reading through this thread, I decided to ask for recommendations based on the types of photos I've already taken and a small sample of the types of photos I am aspiring towards.

But before that...

Budget: Less than $1,200 USD
Purpose: Capturing my son's infancy / family / nature
Plan: Would like to start modestly and expand as I learn
History: I've only ever photographed with a smartphone. I believe I have an eye for composition and I would like to be able to express myself with more advanced tools.

Here is what I consider to be some of the better shots I've taken with a smartphone...

Here is a small sample of the shots I aspire to...

My main interests are portraits, unique patterns, and natural light. I like capturing moments as they happen. I am also very interested in being able to take video if needed. I have experience / interest in video editing.

The camera at the top of my consideration list is the Canon 80D or 750D. I am also open to mirrorless options or anything else "outside of the box".

Please help. Anybody have recommendations based on all of the info / interests I have provided?
You can get a Fuji X-T1, X-T20 or a Sony A6300. The 80D is good as well, but it really does depend on how much bulk you want. You can also get a Panasonic G7.

You can get a Fuji X-T1, X-T20 or a Sony A6300. The 80D is good as well, but it really does depend on how much bulk you want. You can also get a Panasonic G7.

Thank you.

A lot of those recs are mirrorless. Has anybody here regretted diving in on a mirrorless to start out with? I am concerned about the compromise in quality due to smaller sensor sizes...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The camera at the top of my consideration list is the Canon 80D or 750D.

May I ask what your thought process is for these to be at the top of your consideration? Brand recognition? Lens quality? Ergonomics?

Thank you.

A lot of those recs are mirrorless. Has anybody here regretted diving in on a mirrorless to start out with? I am concerned about the compromise in quality due to smaller sensor sizes...

Those aren't that small. It's the same size as the 80D or 750D. Except for the Panasonic which is micro four thirds.

Thank you.

I did quite a bit of research on options. I ended up diving in with a mirrorless option. I didn't think the limiting factor will be megapixel count or sensor size. They can compete with a wide range of DSLRs in a number of settingd. I think the limiting factor, like any camera, will be lenses and skill of the photographer.

sneaky77

Thank you.

I guess depends what you mean by compromise in quality, considering there is plenty of Pro shooters that use fuji or sony mirrorless gear.

RuGalz

Thank you.

These (besides G7 in the list) have the same sensor size as 80D. The main difference between mirrorless and DSLR are size (which affects ergonomics) and viewfinder.

Thank you.

There is definitively absolutely zero difference in quality of any kind between DLSR and Mirrorless.

The only thing inherent to a mirrorless camera, is that it does not have a mirror.

A mirror has zero effect on your image in any way.
In fact, a mirror can even *harm* your image, as mirror slap can potentially shake your camera, if I had to think of something.

The only, I repeat only differences that you'll observe between DSLR and Mirrorless are those that are how you take your photo, not the photo you take.

May I ask what your thought process is for these to be at the top of your consideration? Brand recognition? Lens quality? Ergonomics?

My attraction to the 80D is its auto-focus abilities for video (I am fine with no 4K - most people don't even have displays to view this resolution), the ecosystem of Canon's lenses (options / expandability), and Canon's reliability as a brand (perhaps this is a slightly immature stance).

There is definitively absolutely zero difference in quality of any kind between DLSR and Mirrorless.

The only thing inherent to a mirrorless camera, is that it does not have a mirror.

A mirror has zero effect on your image in any way.
In fact, a mirror can even *harm* your image, as mirror slap can potentially shake your camera, if I had to think of something.

The only, I repeat only differences that you'll observe between DSLR and Mirrorless are those that are how you take your photo, not the photo you take.

Thanks for the insight. And you're right - I totally missed that the recommended mirrorless cameras listed above have the same size sensor as the 80D.

I guess my biggest concern is - with whatever camera I choose - am I going to be able to work up to (with time and practice) taking photos that capture a portrait / nature as well as the sample photos in my original post?

EUVIHXt.jpg

Thanks all for your replies.

My attraction to the 80D is its auto-focus abilities for video (I am fine with no 4K - most people don't even have displays to view this resolution), the ecosystem of Canon's lenses (options / expandability), and Canon's reliability as a brand (perhaps this is a slightly immature stance).

Thanks for the insight. And you're right - I totally missed that the recommended mirrorless cameras listed above have the same size sensor as the 80D.

I guess my biggest concern is - with whatever camera I choose - am I going to be able to work up to (with time and practice) taking photos that capture a portrait / nature as well as the sample photos in my original post?

Absolutely. An MILC doesn't really have an effect on the image itself; it really just affects how you get to it. The photos you posted are more a result of how you process the end photo, and what lens you're using, than they are a result of the camera that took them (sensor size aside, of course, but that's not a result of MILC vs DSLR)

Now, you mention video, and I gotta say -- this really depends on how serious you are for video.
Serious videography is based on manual focus, not autofocus, and mirrorless cameras have a HUMONGOUS advantage in the manual focus department, in Focus Peaking (essentially the camera highlights what is in focus). And the advantages of 4K aren't lost when outputting to 1080p -- with a 4K source, you can crop the shot, effectively giving you a "new" camera angle, without losing any quality, and oversampling is also still a thing. I wouldn't totally right off 4k advantage.
But, of course, these advantages are only apparent when looking at more in depth videography. If you're just doing family videos of birthdays and shit, no concern for that stuff.

Well, I just wrote all this as a "for future reference" between DSLR and Mirrorless, so feel free to read over if you want:

So you’ve been trying to pick out a camera, not sure what to get, but you have heard of these hot new Sony and Fuji “mirrorless” cameras, eh? What makes these new Mirrorless cameras so popular? I thought DSLRs were better? All the pros use DSLRs right? Well, let’s go over what it means for a camera to be a DSLR or a Mirrorless (Mirrorless Interchangable Lens Camera, or MILC).
First off, let’s jump straight to this point: There is absolutely no difference in image quality between a MILC or a DSLR. None. Zilch. Nada. In fact, many MILCs have superior image quality to DSLRs (this is mainly attributed to the fact that everyone and their mom gets their sensor from Sony, and Sony saves the best for themselves). The only defining factor between a MILC and a DSLR is in the name… the Mirror. When a DSLR takes a photo, that mirror flips up out of the way, meaning that it has ZERO impact on the actual photo taken. All the same settings are there, all the same photos are possible, all of that is the same. The only things that change are the bits that happen before the photo is taken.
So what does change? First, foremost, and arguably most importantly, the viewfinder. A DSLR uses its mirror to reflect the light away from the sensor through a piece of glass that you look through – you see the actual light passing through your lens. With a MILC, instead, it hits the sensor directly, then reprojects that image from a little screen on the viewfinder.
So what are the consequences? Well, with a DSLR, you’re not looking at pixels. That can make the image clearer, and not prone to pixilation. In low light, *in general* (not always the case) a DSLR will fare better, as your eye will be able to adjust better than the camera. That’s not always the case, as the A7S cameras can fucking see in the dark because they are built from goddamn Predator technology.
Now, I can reasonably assume everyone has at least *used* a DSLR and has used a viewfinder, so it’s probably easier from here to describe an EVF (aka the MILC viewfinder) as a comparison. With an EVF, it is a *screen*, so it is done with, well, pixels. Imagine how your phone screen displays, but it’s coming through a viewfinder instead of just the rear of the camera. But, there’s some major advantages that come with using an EVF – First and foremost is exposure preview. What does that mean? Well, it means that you can see the effects of your exposure settings before you take the shot. With a DSLR, changing your shutter speed and ISO have zero effect on your viewfinder, so you’re left to either use the Light Meter and your imagination, or take a test shot. An EVF shows you, more or less, the photo you’ll get at the correct brightness, so it really helps to show you what effect the settings you have are making. Personally, I really loved learning on MILC, as I could really know what effect the shutter speed was having, or the aperture, etc.
This next point is mainly an advantage if you’re interested in vintage or manual lenses – namely, MILCs kick fucking ass when it comes to these. Firstly, a MILC can use almost literally any lens designed for any DSLR or Rangefinder camera. Found a random Canon AE1 in a garage sale? You can use that lens. Grandpa left you a Leica? You can use that lens. Have a modern Canon DSLR? You can use that lens. You can use fukken anything. It’s amazing. And not only that, but any manual focus lenses ARE BETTER on a MILC, because a MILC can use Focus Peaking to show you what’s in focus! Seriously, it’s amazing.
But it’s not all sunshine and roses. There’s no clear, flat out winner between MILC and DSLR. While MILC’s are a lot smaller body wise, lenses largely don’t get any advantage out of that – a 70-200mm 2.8 is, ultimately, going to be a 70-200mm 2.8 regardless of whether it’s made for a MILC or a DSLR. This is two fold – some people say that the gigantor lenses are better “balanced” on a large, pro DSLR body (think of a giant cinderblock, with a camera in it), and prefer that; it feels better in the hands to match a large lens with a large body. But, conversely, a 50mm prime can’t shrink down a pro DSLR body – but a full frame Sony camera with a 50mm lens on it is freaking tiny in comparison. Personally, I lean towards feeling that while a Sony camera with a pro zoom can become large, a pro DSLR can *never* become small, but this is just personal opinion.
Another plus to DSLR is that they have larger room for batteries – they put that size to work. They also only need to energize the sensor when taking a shot, which leads to further battery life. A DSLR will pretty handily have the advantage in battery life, and it’s not a small margin. On a MILC this can be *managed*, either by choosing when to have the camera on, and when to have it off, or by using the saved space to pack an extra battery, but ultimately if battery life is king, you’ll want to lean towards DSLRs.
Another plus for DSLRs is that they have an advantage in native glass. While MILCs can use fucking any lens they want more or less, they aren’t native – old vintage lenses obviously don’t have Auto focusing or other conveniences, and adapters for newer lenses are expensive and often not quite perfect. DSLR’s have been around for a long time, and have built up a collection of lenses for anything and everything, and have even had the time to become cheaper in most cases. As MILCs continue to thrive and exist, this advantage will start to wane however, and for *most* cases they’ll have a lens to suit your purposes – it’s mainly in the super zoom category that you’ll be left wanting on MILC side.
Autofocus is a tricky subject – MILCs are still very much in a rapid progression, so what was true two years ago isn’t true today, and AF is VERY much a prime example of this. You’ll REALLY need to view this on a case by case basis, as even just going from the A7II and the A7RII, there’s a large difference in AF capability. Just know that, unless you’re already used to pro DSLR levels of AF, you probably won’t be disappointed with MILC AF on the latest bodies. Hell, I think the A9 actually matches those blow for blow.

TL;dr
DSLR pros: lotsa (native) lenses, ‘more natural’ viewfinder, better battery, possibly better ergonomics when using large lenses
DSLR cons: Viewfinder doesn’t show how your settings affect the image, a DSLR can never be small, manual focus is a pain at best and vintage lenses don’t really work IMO
MILC pros: Near infinite vintage lens compatibility, viewfinder shows you your exposure, manual focus is piss easy
MILC cons: AF can suck on older (2~ years old) cameras, eats battery if you’re not careful, native lenses are still a WIP

Your concerns have more to do with editing style, technique and lighting than they have to do with what you use. Zack Arias uses Fuji's for example and nobody complains about what he does.

I was leaning towards another MILC (I have a Sony Nex 5N that I'm selling later this summer and an old Rebel DSLR) but ended up going with a fixed-lens camera (X100F) for my next purchase. Obviously I'm stuck with one lens, though there are some relatively mild teleconvertors, and also the built in digital teleconvertor that lets you shoot in apparent 70mm and 100mm focal lengths with some loss of quality, which isn't bad on a 24MP sensor.

The other advantages are size, the leaf shutter (not in MILC) that will let me shoot sync flash at a wide variety of speeds, and the internal neutral density filter. These combine to allow you to use flash fill in scenarios where you wouldn't get acceptable results with an ILC.

Now I just have to use it a while and decide how I feel about having the limitations of a fixed lens. Tradeoffs, always tradeoffs.

RuGalz

There's a big misconception that bigger camera with bigger sensor will automatically give you better images. Sure the raw footage will have better quality but looking at your images those will require post editing to get that kind of look/feel. The various filters on phones make it very simple to do and you don't have to learn the ins and outs of controlling a camera. So the answer is of course, yes you can get the type of imagery you want in better quality using a better camera. (I mean it's what the pros do.) However, to a lot of people, the time and knowledge required to get to that point is simply too frustrating or does not provide enough instant gratification. Since you said you have done video editing, you probably already know some of this. So as long as you are prepared and have the right expectations, pretty much any DSLR/mirrorless will do the job. The capability of hardware is not really a question -- they are all better than cell phone. Every manufacture have portrait lenses and standard lenses that will cover your needs. It's only if you need some very specialized ones (i.e. super wide, super long, tilt 'n shift, >1x macro) that you may have to seriously look at lens offering.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I keep trying to use Capture One and keep finding myself completely and utterly unable to do literally anything in it.

All the tutorials tell me to hit buttons that don't exist and when I do find a button it doesn't do shit.

I feel like I'm going to need to give Capture One another go and just learn it until I can get the same results. I'm getting really frustrated with Lightroom's performance. Even after switching to Ryzen 1700x system with 8 cores and 16 threads @ 3.8ghz with 32GB of DDR 3000Mhz RAM, the intermittent laggy interface issues and general slow performance I was experiencing with my old build still persist. Performance is better, but it just constantly shits the bed seemingly at random.

Running Windows 10 Pro at the latest version, Adobe Lightroom CC 2015 at the latest version, and I even started up an all new catalog on my SSD.

sneaky77

I feel like I'm going to need to give Capture One another go and just learn it until I can get the same results. I'm getting really frustrated with Lightroom's performance. Even after switching to Ryzen 1700x system with 8 cores and 16 threads @ 3.8ghz with 32GB of DDR 3000Mhz RAM, the intermittent laggy interface issues and general slow performance I was experiencing with my old build still persist. Performance is better, but it just constantly shits the bed seemingly at random.

Running Windows 10 Pro at the latest version, Adobe Lightroom CC 2015 at the latest version, and I even started up an all new catalog on my SSD.

Capture One youtube channel has great tutorials that focus on different aspects of the software or an overview, they also have guest pro photogs that show how they use it. I know for the fuji files it makes a difference in my opinion, and seems to be well regarded. I don't use their catalog though, I have sessions, so each place I shoot or weekend, goes into its own folder.

Been using my 6D for about 2 years now (50 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, and 24-105 f4L) and I just bought the Fuji XT1 with the 35mm F2 on Adorama for $800

I really want to try out mirrorless and see how it is. The deal is really good and I'll sell either my XT-1 or 6D, depending on which one I like.

I actually bought a used XT2 and 23 f1.4 off of Craigslist for $1,900, since the guy threw in like 4 batteries, a carrying bag, and a Peak design strap. Using it so far, it feels super fun to shoot photos vs my 6D lol

From the video and film making thread:

Did some work on my doc rig today:
  • Picked up a Metabones Mk. V Canon EF to Sony E Mount adapter.
  • Hacked away the 30 minute recording restriction, because...
  • My external battery solution using a 5v USB to 7.5v dummy battery works great with the adapter and Canon's stabilization!

What adapter are you using to power your camera with the external battery? Like, what would I need to get my current external battery to work with my a6000?

I actually bought a used XT2 and 23 f1.4 off of Craigslist for $1,900, since the guy threw in like 4 batteries, a carrying bag, and a Peak design strap. Using it so far, it feels super fun to shoot photos vs my 6D lol
Congrats it's a fun camera. Nice and speedy. I know there's a good amount of shots I got that I couldn't with my D810, the AF tracking just isn't the same on that camera.

Sir Doom

I posted here before, but I still can't decide.
I used to lean on purchasing DSLR as my first camera, but now I'm thinking maybe I should hop on Mirrorless for portability. Since I would like to do landscape pictures

My choices
A used T7i body only like new condition (zero shutter count) $716 (I could buy a EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 for $80)

G85 bundle with 12-26mm lens, includes two battery and card(very good condition) for $826

X-T20 with XC16-50mm $898

I'm leaning toward G85 for mirrorless because of lenses availability and cheaper, but my concern is on low light G85 performs poorly.

Or should I go DSLR cheaper beginner camera

I posted here before, but I still can't decide.
I used to lean on purchasing DSLR as my first camera, but now I'm thinking maybe I should hop on Mirrorless for portability. Since I would like to do landscape pictures

My choices
A used T7i body only like new condition (zero shutter count) $716 (I could buy a EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 for $80)

G85 bundle with 12-26mm lens, includes two battery and card(very good condition) for $826

X-T20 with XC16-50mm $898

I'm leaning toward G85 for mirrorless because of lenses availability and cheaper, but my concern is on low light G85 performs poorly.

Or should I go DSLR cheaper beginner camera
G85 is good because of IBIS. Personally for Canon I'd look at an 80D. The XT20 is also a good buy but not with the low end kit lens.

G85 is good because of IBIS. Personally for Canon I'd look at an 80D. The XT20 is also a good buy but not with the low end kit lens.

Only problem with IBIS, is while it can help negate the low light disadvantage for still subjects, it won't do shit for a moving one. Dunno what he's looking to shoot though, I'd go for the Fuji, probably the most versatile one there.

Sir Doom

I'll check out 80D is there's a sale

Only problem with IBIS, is while it can help negate the low light disadvantage for still subjects, it won't do shit for a moving one. Dunno what he's looking to shoot though, I'd go for the Fuji, probably the most versatile one there.
For low light I guess just sunsets and night star. The only moving subject I'll do on night time will be if I wanted to take city pictures.

RuGalz

For low light I guess just sunsets and night star. The only moving subject I'll do on night time will be if I wanted to take city pictures.

Stick to APS-C. A bit better for night star and also a bit easier to go wider for city/landscape. Used K-3II is also within your price range that has GPS build in and you can take up to 4 minutes exposure night star shots without trail, using its IBIS without any special equipment except tripod. (2 min is probably more realistic, 2.5 min is longest I'm able to get most of the time)

Anybody have any experience buying stuff from KEH? Specifically their eBay store?

I've got my eye on a Nikkor 35-70 2.8 but they describe it as "ugly" af while in the pictures it looks like it's in decent condition. I'm getting confused lol.

RuGalz

Anybody have any experience buying stuff from KEH? Specifically their eBay store?

I've got my eye on a Nikkor 35-70 2.8 but they describe it as "ugly" af while in the pictures it looks like it's in decent condition. I'm getting confused lol.

Their grading is pretty accurate. Maybe the picture isn't of the item itself?

The A7S cameras are the best for star photos, but you probably don't want to spend that kind of money.

There's also the A6300 and A6500, which *I've heard* retain a lot of what made the A7S so good, but I haven't used them to really know for sure.

That being said, the Fuji is probably a 'nicer' camera to get -- not in specs, but in the shooting experience. Up to you.

Sir Doom

The A7S cameras are the best for star photos, but you probably don't want to spend that kind of money.

There's also the A6300 and A6500, which *I've heard* retain a lot of what made the A7S so good, but I haven't used them to really know for sure.

That being said, the Fuji is probably a 'nicer' camera to get -- not in specs, but in the shooting experience. Up to you.
Is A6000 too old already.
There's a new one for 749 with 16-50mm and 55-210mm with Sony bag and SD card

Yeeesh.

It does look like they've at least acknowledged it, maybe they thought they fixed it but fucked up some flag in the FW or some shit.

RuGalz

They have known it for a while so it's hard to say. If it's because that they are using simpler algorithm for denoise or other parts of the pipeline for 1) preventing processor from overheating too quickly or 2) keeping the fps up or any other reason besides laziness you will have to give up something.

Ty4on

They have known it for a while so it's hard to say. If it's because that they are using simpler algorithm for denoise or other parts of the pipeline for 1) preventing processor from overheating too quickly or 2) keeping the fps up or any other reason besides laziness you will have to give up something.
http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/sony-a7rii-fw-4-0-star-eating/

His earlier posts are more detailed, but it seems like a filter for noise. I'm not smart enough to fully understand it, but I think it's too suppress hot pixels. If you suddenly have a white pixel in the middle of nothing it cuts it out.

RuGalz

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/sony-a7rii-fw-4-0-star-eating/

His earlier posts are more detailed, but it seems like a filter for noise. I'm not smart enough to fully understand it, but I think it's too suppress hot pixels. If you suddenly have a white pixel in the middle of nothing it cuts it out.

Yea I've read it. I was talking in term of the overall pipeline. Can't tell the real reason why they do certain things certain ways as an outsider, but they already had to do things to avoid heat issues. So I wouldn't be surprised if it is hard to fix without giving up something else or needing a lot of re-work (i.e. optimization) "just to fix one problem".

With A7III(s) possibly coming this year, I can see them putting this on back burner tbh. Implement proper algorithm on either faster or cooler processor used in the new camera and try to make it work on older camera afterwards.

Well I may be fucked.

Where can I rent a good lens between 400-600mm for the 21st, so I can take photos of the solar eclipse? Somehow I'm a dummy and didn't think I'd need to schedule a rent out by like a month.

Or maybe I can rent one from any of you guys -- I can take basically any lens.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well I may be fucked.

Where can I rent a good lens between 400-600mm for the 21st, so I can take photos of the solar eclipse? Somehow I'm a dummy and didn't think I'd need to schedule a rent out by like a month.

Or maybe I can rent one from any of you guys -- I can take basically any lens.

There's no good camera rental place around where you live?

How about lensrentals.com? There are some other online ones too.

Or you could buy a lens from amazon and then return it.

There's no good camera rental place around where you live?

How about lensrentals.com? There are some other online ones too.

Or you could buy a lens from amazon and then return it.

Ohoho, that'd be dirty but I might just do that with Amazon.

That being said I'd be stretching my credit quite a bit for any lens I'd like to use.... Hrm.

inner-G

Banned
I know this thread is really about still photography, but I recently got a Sony AX53 4K camcorder and freaking love it.

The optical zoom is great, image quality blows away iPhone 7+ 4K and the stabilization is amazing. It's almost like having a mini built-in steadicam. I've been shooting at 1080/60 to get the most out of the stabilization and the footage looks great.

Built in mic is good, but I added a Rhode Video Micro mic

Looking at 80D Pictures on Flickr
I like it
Yeah it's a very good camera. That line is pretty much the lowest I'd recommend for a first Canon camera. I never exactly recommend entry level cameras, you pretty much get what you pay for. Granted a lot of camera bodies share sensors but they don't share AF modules, button layouts and other things you wouldn't notice as a first timer. I honestly thank god I started out on a D7100 instead of a D5200 for example.

Sir Doom

Yeah it's a very good camera. That line is pretty much the lowest I'd recommend for a first Canon camera. I never exactly recommend entry level cameras, you pretty much get what you pay for. Granted a lot of camera bodies share sensors but they don't share AF modules, button layouts and other things you wouldn't notice as a first timer. I honestly thank god I started out on a D7100 instead of a D5200 for example.
What do you think of D7200?
Edit:
I guess D7200 doesn't have touch screen like 80D

TFW you realize the aperture ring is stuck/broken on one of your favorite lenses. :(

Thankfully nobody knows it exists... or rather the people who do know about it kept their mouths shut so they're still super cheap lol.

The good thing though is that the aperture got stuck at it's max, so it's still actually really usable but I bought a new one anyway coz it was cheap and I need the focal length for when I go on vacation next week.

RuGalz

TFW you realize the aperture ring is stuck/broken on one of your favorite lenses. :(

Something like that happened to me once. Granted it wasn't my favorite lens but luckily someone in Pentax community fixed it for me for free.

Edit: at least it's not during your vacation... that sucked when it happened a few years ago

Something like that happened to me once. Granted it wasn't my favorite lens but luckily someone in Pentax community fixed it for me for free.

Edit: at least it's not during your vacation... that sucked when it happened a few years ago

Yeah that does suck.

For my vacay all I'm planning to bring is this lens(19-35), my 28-90, and a 50mm 1.4. That's probably overkill actually but definitely the first two as all I'm really doing is spending a weekend in Austin, taking in the sights as a photographer instead of a drunk college student haha.

Top Bottom