• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

I mean yeah I get it, but man it just seems like something highly situational, I guess I don't care about it because I'm used to not having it. I'm not a tripod person, I have one, but don't use it because I hate lugging that shit around. If I do get something with IBIS, it would probably be an A7ii or something, but dear god at having to rebuy lenses...AGAIN and at Sony's ridiculous prices.

samyang makes good cheap lenses mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmk

This is probably the biggest hurtle for me to invest in Fuji fully since I'm used of having it for a long time.

I want like, Sony's tech, and Fuji's body. I love my Sony, but damn if I don't realize that they could definitely be more intuitive with their menus.

Shit, if all they did was put out a program that allowed me to take their existing menu items, and move them around into whatever menus I wanted, I'd have no reason to even think about other cameras haha.

samyang makes good cheap lenses mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmk

I want like, Sony's tech, and Fuji's body. I love my Sony, but damn if I don't realize that they could definitely be more intuitive with their menus.

Shit, if all they did was put out a program that allowed me to take their existing menu items, and move them around into whatever menus I wanted, I'd have no reason to even think about other cameras haha.
We don't exactly do the same type of photography so Samyang really doesn't have anything for me. Sony needs more on camera controls. I very rarely dive into the Fuji menu system for anything.

Saturnman

Banned
I just ordered the MK3 after what feels like months of deliberation. It should be arriving today with a 25mm 1.7 Lumix lens so I can hopefully post examples soon.

I wanted a camera for NYCC, basically. Definitely looking for something in the laid back side. I tried out the MK2 since it’s very similar in size and set up and looked through like a billion YouTubes and Flickr groups but never really strayed from the E-M10.

It was a pretty simple equation for me. I knew I didn’t want to go much past $600 on the body and I wanted a viewfinder. Sony uses proprietary lenses, which means their 43s have a smaller lens pool (although maybe you could get adapters?). Then between Pano and Olympus, Olympus has on board image stabilization, Panasonic doesn’t.

I sprung for the new MK3 (just came out so it was a bitch to try and get in NYC) just because I wanted something a bit more future proof on the video side. I’m not super mr. Video but you can only see so many sample reels in 2.35 before you’re like “fuck man I want in”.

I’m going to see what initial shooting is like and maybe pick up a cheap kit lens if I need versatility (14-42 I think?). But I think I’m going to really like using the 25mm. I basically just want to do some fun “street” style shooting at the con.

In your shoes, I would have looked for an EM5 markII (refurbished, grey market, whatever) instead of the EM10 markIII. But I get you want the 4K, i prefer the weather sealing myself though.

Yeah, as a cheap kit lens, the 14-42 (the pancake one, right?) might do. Far from the sharpest lens though. If you can, try to find the Lumix 12-32, doesn't zoom as far but the wider view is more useful IMHO. The lens is a bit sharper (but it's still a kit zoom, don't expect too much).

Good thing you're opting for a prime though. m43 has an ample choice of terms of affordable nifty fifties (25mm for m43) and if you're looking for general purpose with a fair amount of people photography, it's the safe way to go. However, I personally prefer things a bit wider for general purpose.

In your shoes, I would have looked for an EM5 markII (refurbished, grey market, whatever) instead of the EM10 markIII. But I get you want the 4K, i prefer the weather sealing myself though.

Yeah, as a cheap kit lens, the 14-42 (the pancake one, right?) might do. Far from the sharpest lens though. If you can, try to find the Lumix 12-32, doesn't zoom as far but the wider view is more useful IMHO. The lens is a bit sharper (but it's still a kit zoom, don't expect too much).

Good thing you're opting for a prime though. m43 has an ample choice of terms of affordable nifty fifties (25mm for m43) and if you're looking for general purpose with a fair amount of people photography, it's the safe way to go. However, I personally prefer things a bit wider for general purpose.

Yeah I'm pretty stoked to give that 25 a spin or twelve. ;D

And yeah, I was thinking about the M5, but decided to stick with the 10, just generally price-wise.

Saturnman

Banned

Thraktor

Yeah I'm pretty stoked to give that 25 a spin or twelve. ;D

And yeah, I was thinking about the M5, but decided to stick with the 10, just generally price-wise.

The Olympus 25mm f/1.8 is a really nice little lens. I bought it before Panasonic came out with their f/1.7, so I don't know how that compares, but I'm very happy with my Oly 25mm on my GM1.

And I idiotically looked at Sony lens prices again. Fucking never.

There's a simple system for dealing with the price of lenses on Sony full-frame:

1 - Buy a Sony FF MILC, telling yourself that you're only going to use it with vintage lenses, and will therefore save a lot of money.
2 - Go overboard buying all sorts of exotic vintage lenses, spending a lot more than you had initially planned.
3 - Get really tempted to also start buying some native lenses, because good vintage wide-angle zooms are hard to find, and that 16-35mm f/4 looks pretty damn tempting.
4 - ?
5 - Profit

Seriously, though, if you're more disciplined than me you can get some good vintage primes for less than $/€100 apiece, and they work very well on Sony cameras. My A7 MkII + Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 combo cost about €1,100 (if you just ignore all my other lenses), which is less than you'd pay for a E-M5 MkII and an Olympus 25mm f/1.8. The latter is certainly a nice setup, but as someone who's happy working with manual focus (and dealing with Sony's quirks) my Sony setup is giving me excellent value for my money.

Ty4on

Good vintage wide-angle zoom is an oxymoron :p
Primes do better, but I think most are at best a little soft.

I think even Canon's 20-35mm L from 1989 was pretty bad. To put into perspective how recent they are Popular Photography 1994 was amazed at how wide Minolta's 24-85mm was because standard zooms back then started at 28 or 35 and 24-50 was a common wide-angle zoom like today's 16-35.

dcll

Banned
I am looking to get another camera, I havent had one in awhile. The last was a 5dmkii but I have been leaning towards something small like the a6000 or a6300. Would those be the top choices for the size and mirrorless?

The Olympus 25mm f/1.8 is a really nice little lens. I bought it before Panasonic came out with their f/1.7, so I don't know how that compares, but I'm very happy with my Oly 25mm on my GM1.

There's a simple system for dealing with the price of lenses on Sony full-frame:

1 - Buy a Sony FF MILC, telling yourself that you're only going to use it with vintage lenses, and will therefore save a lot of money.
2 - Go overboard buying all sorts of exotic vintage lenses, spending a lot more than you had initially planned.
3 - Get really tempted to also start buying some native lenses, because good vintage wide-angle zooms are hard to find, and that 16-35mm f/4 looks pretty damn tempting.
4 - ?
5 - Profit

Seriously, though, if you're more disciplined than me you can get some good vintage primes for less than $/€100 apiece, and they work very well on Sony cameras. My A7 MkII + Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 combo cost about €1,100 (if you just ignore all my other lenses), which is less than you'd pay for a E-M5 MkII and an Olympus 25mm f/1.8. The latter is certainly a nice setup, but as someone who's happy working with manual focus (and dealing with Sony's quirks) my Sony setup is giving me excellent value for my money.
Or I could just buy a Metabones adaptor for my Fuji and use the vintage lenses on there. I already know all about crop and depth of field differences. I honestly don't think I'm going full frame mirrorless until Nikon's comes out. If it isn't gimped I'll give it a look. If I can't use my Nikon lenses on it then fuck the idea of full frame mirrorless. I wonder if people in the photography thread can even tell which camera I even use in the pictures.
I am looking to get another camera, I havent had one in awhile. The last was a 5dmkii but I have been leaning towards something small like the a6000 or a6300. Would those be the top choices for the size and mirrorless?
Fuji cares about crop sensor, Sony doesn't not to mention Fuji's button layout is better. The XT2 stomps over the A6000 and the only thing the A6300 has on it is I believe IBIS.

Reckoner

Or I could just buy a Metabones adaptor for my Fuji and use the vintage lenses on there. I already know all about crop and depth of field differences. I honestly don't think I'm going full frame mirrorless until Nikon's comes out. If it isn't gimped I'll give it a look. If I can't use my Nikon lenses on it then fuck the idea of full frame mirrorless. I wonder if people in the photography thread can even tell which camera I even use in the pictures.

Fuji cares about crop sensor, Sony doesn't not to mention Fuji's button layout is better. The XT2 stomps over the A6000 and the only thing the A6300 has on it is I believe IBIS.

It's actually the A6500 the super expensive one that has IBIS

dcll

Banned

I looked that up and it is way more than I want to spend, so in a price similar to the a6000-a6300 are they the best choice?

I looked that up and it is way more than I want to spend, so in a price similar to the a6000-a6300 are they the best choice?
Everybody says yes, though I would buy an XT1 over an A6000 from a build quality standpoint alone. I'm never really blown away by Sony's stuff. I'd have to live with one for a couple of weeks before I could recommend one.

I thought I should ask here about what camera would be best for my taste. I am looking at spending budget between 1000-2000 dollars max. I have for a long time been rocking SLR Olympus and been a fan of Sony Camera cybershots for more than a decade.

Now I feel like trying compact cameras and interested in something that is more portable and has interchangable lens. It would be nice also if it isnt too complicated to use.

I would like something that is quick at autofocus, quick at snapping shots, urban, decent for landscape/scenery photos and can take good shots when its dark. I suppose Landscape and Low Light is the most important out of those.

It can be confusing with all of the options out there.

I have been eyeing on the new Fujifilm X-E3 and the Sony A6500.

sofa

storafötter;250871978 said:
I thought I should ask here about what camera would be best for my taste. I am looking at spending budget between 1000-2000 dollars max. I have for a long time been rocking SLR Olympus and been a fan of Sony Camera cybershots for more than a decade.

Now I feel like trying compact cameras and interested in something that is more portable and has interchangable lens. It would be nice also if it isnt too complicated to use.

I would like something that is quick at autofocus, quick at snapping shots, urban, decent for landscape/scenery photos and can take good shots when its dark. I suppose Landscape and Low Light is the most important out of those.

The Fuji is priced less, so it's a hard to make a comparison. I would suggest to consider your preferred lenses type and see if a system fit your need better than another. If you wear eyeglass be aware that the eye point of the x-e3 is way shorter than that of the a6500.

The Fuji is priced less, so it's a hard to make a comparison. I would suggest to consider your preferred lenses type and see if a system fit your need better than another. If you wear eyeglass be aware that the eye point of the x-e3 is way shorter than that of the a6500.

I am willing to try another brand than Fuji and Sony that might be comparable. I keep reading that the sony one is good for low light despite some flaws with its design.

Yeah I wear glasses, but I dont see too horrible. Thanks for the tip, will look more into the lense types that are being offered for the different cameras as you said.

storafötter;250871978 said:

Why are you comparing the lowest end Fuji with her higher end Sony? Also with that budget you can get an A7ii. You can probably get an XT20 or even a second hand XT2. Both should be able to do 8fps. The XT2 with the grip does 11 fps. If you like rangefinders try seeing if you can find the Xpro 2.

John Blade

Just saw an ads for A6500 and two lens ( Zeiss 16-70 F4 and Zeiss 32 1.8) for $2650 USD . Would like any impression of the lens and if it's worth getting it.

Why are you comparing the lowest end Fuji with her higher end Sony? Also with that budget you can get an A7ii. You can probably get an XT20 or even a second hand XT2. Both should be able to do 8fps. The XT2 with the grip does 11 fps. If you like rangefinders try seeing if you can find the Xpro 2.

I was comparing them as they were the popular compact cameras with a smaller form factor. Camera tends to be more expensive here in Norway than in America so the two of them dont have the biggest gap I would say.

I have tried the A7ii and I found it too heavy for my liking. It is an amazing camera but what put me off it is its sheer size along with a decent lense. It is also another thousand dollars compared to the sony I am interested in. Wouldnt be able to get A7ii used with a lense for 2000 dollars i Norway.

storafötter;250883111 said:
I was comparing them as they were the popular compact cameras with a smaller form factor. Camera tends to be more expensive here in Norway than in America so the two of them dont have the biggest gap I would say.

I have tried the A7ii and I found it too heavy for my liking. It is an amazing camera but what put me off it is its sheer size along with a decent lense. It is also another thousand dollars compared to the sony I am interested in. Wouldnt be able to get A7ii used with a lense for 2000 dollars i Norway.
The A6500 I think has more bells and whistles, I haven't looked that hard into the XE3, but it's probably a poor mans non weather sealed XPro2 with a touch screen. As long as you just keep to the Fuji primes size wise it should be fine, might even almost be pocketable. I usually just tell people to go to a store and figure it out from there. Buy what you like to hold, since that's probably the second most important thing.

The A6500 I think has more bells and whistles, I haven't looked that hard into the XE3, but it's probably a poor mans non weather sealed XPro2 with a touch screen. As long as you just keep to the Fuji primes size wise it should be fine, might even almost be pocketable. I usually just tell people to go to a store and figure it out from there. Buy what you like to hold, since that's probably the second most important thing.

This is great advice. The E-M10 is like a fucking dream to handle. (I have the MkIII but the II is pretty much identical, and what I did my testing on before purchase.)

I really love walking around the city with it. It's not too big, even with a 25mm. I'd imagine with the kit lens it's even easier to handle.

I'm sure I'll want to upgrade someday but I can't imagine wanting a bigger camera. I'm in love with the m34 size and portability.

Should be posting some shots in the photography thread soon. I really love the results on this bad boy.

This is great advice. The E-M10 is like a fucking dream to handle. (I have the MkIII but the II is pretty much identical, and what I did my testing on before purchase.)

I really love walking around the city with it. It's not too big, even with a 25mm. I'd imagine with the kit lens it's even easier to handle.

I'm sure I'll want to upgrade someday but I can't imagine wanting a bigger camera. I'm in love with the m34 size and portability.

Should be posting some shots in the photography thread soon. I really love the results on this bad boy.
Regarding camera size not everybody wants a small camera. I want something that I can grip well enough and has a good amount of balance to it so it's not too front end heavy, which becomes an issue with bigger lenses. I didn't get an XT-20 because it's too damn small and I didn't get the D750 because the D810 felt sturdier. Pretty much I don't always want to be packing around a DSLR, but I still want something that doesn't feel cheap. The XT2 seems to be an excellent middle ground.

Regarding camera size not everybody wants a small camera. I want something that I can grip well enough and has a good amount of balance to it so it's not too front end heavy, which becomes an issue with bigger lenses. I didn't get an XT-20 because it's too damn small and I didn't get the D750 because the D810 felt sturdier. Pretty much I don't always want to be packing around a DSLR, but I still want something that doesn't feel cheap. The XT2 seems to be an excellent middle ground.

Oh for sure. I was just describing my experience and first impresh. EMMV.

Oh for sure. I was just describing my experience and first impresh. EMMV.
Good that you're enjoying it though. I remember getting my first camera. I cheaped out and grew out of it really fast. Like two months later I got a DSLR. A little over a year after that got my first full frame...then my second and now I got a mirrorless. I use the systems for two different things for the most part. My FX Nikons get the event and work related shoots and my Fuji is for street and personal shoots.

XBP

So I recently took my A6000 to a friend's wedding to take some casual pictures and sadly was extremely disappointed. I mean yeah, I just had two kit lenses with me (16-50 and 55-210) but they just refused to focus in the wedding hall 80% of the time. It might have been the most frustrating couple of hours with this camera since I bought it a few months ago.

I'm thinking that this is mostly because the kit lenses aren't good in low light and the lens itself isn't good for focus in low light? Would buying a better prime lens make a difference in low light focus?

I was looking at the FE 28mm F2. It seems to have gotten decent reviews and I know its a full frame lens but it seems to work good on a a6000.

The lens is going to cost me around 600 CAD. I was thinking though, would it make sense for me to sell my a6000 and get something like a Fuji XT20 with the 18-55 if that has better low light performance? I would have to spend around 800-900 CAD more depending on how much I can sell my a6000 for. Ive been kinda not very happy with my purchase of the a6000 and the lens options for APSc are really disappointing. Fuji on the other hand, despite being a bit expensive, at least has a good range of lenses.

A lot of Fuji lenses are pretty big so I've got a L bracket grip (I use a tripod a lot too for landscapes)

iBlgR4i.jpg

ngl, i have been lusting after an X-T2 since u posted this pic simply because it's such a handsome looking camera, lol.

Ty4on

Anyone have experience buying cameras off eBay? Such as this A7R ii?

Bad idea?

It's fine as long as you don't mind buying grey market.

Not sure how Sony does it, but if you buy a Nikon Grey Market and send it off to Nikon for repair they'll refuse to repair it. It doesn't matter if you offer to pay for it, they'll still refuse.

That's a risk worth knowing about if you're a professional. You can of course get a third party to repair it for you if the manufacturer refuses.

I just wanted to take decent pictures of some stuff at home to sell on shpock and got a common cheap camera from amazon (Kodak Pixpro FZ43) that uses aa batteries, I just did a dummy battery trick and couldn't be happier with never having to buy batteries for it. Just type in "Dummy AA Batteries" in yt for examples.

So I recently took my A6000 to a friend's wedding to take some casual pictures and sadly was extremely disappointed. I mean yeah, I just had two kit lenses with me (16-50 and 55-210) but they just refused to focus in the wedding hall 80% of the time. It might have been the most frustrating couple of hours with this camera since I bought it a few months ago.

I'm thinking that this is mostly because the kit lenses aren't good in low light and the lens itself isn't good for focus in low light? Would buying a better prime lens make a difference in low light focus?

I was looking at the FE 28mm F2. It seems to have gotten decent reviews and I know its a full frame lens but it seems to work good on a a6000.

The lens is going to cost me around 600 CAD. I was thinking though, would it make sense for me to sell my a6000 and get something like a Fuji XT20 with the 18-55 if that has better low light performance? I would have to spend around 800-900 CAD more depending on how much I can sell my a6000 for. Ive been kinda not very happy with my purchase of the a6000 and the lens options for APSc are really disappointing. Fuji on the other hand, despite being a bit expensive, at least has a good range of lenses.

The two main things you are complaining about, low light performance and autofocus performance, are two of the A6000's strongest points as an APSC camera. It's possible that by being (I think) newer the XT20 may have edged out past it, but Sony was pretty much splooging all over the A6000 low light and AF speed.
Focusing is always going to be difficult in low light, ESPECIALLY with ANY kit lens -- your problem wasn't your camera, it was the slow 3.5-5.6. Focusing works off the light you have available, and tbh I'm not sure if the kit lens even uses the Phase Detect points on the A6000, as some of the older lenses don't support the PDAF for whatever reason.
Personally for your use case I'd recommend the 35 1.8. It won't work on an FE mount camera (well okay it will, but not full frame), but it's cheaper and better matched to your A6000. It's got OSS, is a normal lens, and is going to be MUCH better at AF and low light than your kit lenses. It's also going to be *quite a bit* cheaper than switching ecosystems for no gain.

Now, if you *do* get the 28mm, it's not entirely a waste, as I've heard that's a stupid good lens, and would make any potential upgrade to full frame quite a bit easier. That's one of the big reasons I went Sony.
Although I'll say Sony is much, much more attractive if you're okay with manual focus lenses, because Samyang has better value offerings than Sony.

If you want to switch to Fuji, it's because you want the controls and wider APSC lens selection, and that's gotta be worth a big investment to you because it's not going to be an even trade to switch. Not saying don't switch! Just saying your gripes here are more founded in your kit lens, than in your camera ecosystem.

Yeah upon looking at more reviews of A6500 the extra bells and whistles makes the camera hard to pass.

You have a good point as I am going to stop by a specialist store to try to get my hands on it and see how it feels and maybe try to get a deal with a lense.

storafötter;251010956 said:
Yeah upon looking at more reviews of A6500 the extra bells and whistles makes the camera hard to pass.

You have a good point as I am going to stop by a specialist store to try to get my hands on it and see how it feels and maybe try to get a deal with a lense.
Yeah A6500 is top tier crop sensor Sony camera, XE3 is Fuji's budget tier, the XT2 stacks up better against the A6500, but still lacks IBIS, though Fuji beats it on lens selection for that sensor size and cheaper lenses. You're getting a good camera regardless I'm just not much of a Sony person when it comes to crop sensor.
Not sure how Sony does it, but if you buy a Nikon Grey Market and send it off to Nikon for repair they'll refuse to repair it. It doesn't matter if you offer to pay for it, they'll still refuse.

That's a risk worth knowing about if you're a professional. You can of course get a third party to repair it for you if the manufacturer refuses.
Sony doesn't even repair their own cameras so either way it's going to a third part repair shop where it will take forever to fix your camera. Nikon I do believe with fix certain grey market cameras (Edit, they would be done by a third party). I think they lifted that restriction on the D810, but I'd still prefer going USA for an expensive camera.
ngl, i have been lusting after an X-T2 since u posted this pic simply because it's such a handsome looking camera, lol.
I can make you lust after it even more by posting pics taken with it. It took me awhile to get used to editing the Fuji raws, but once I did I was able to make them things seriously pop.

storafötter;251010956 said:

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeersonally, I'd view the 6300 as the better balance between features and price -- IBIS is nice but not a game changer unless you need really long exposures or stabilizing vintage glass (which is why I went A7II).
The a6300 and 6500 I believe do pretty much the same thing in regards to sensor and EVF performance, and those are the two major factors in the upgrades over the base 6000.
I could be wrong though.

EDIT: I'll do a double take on it, but IIRC the only differences between 6500 and 6300 was IBIS and some video features.

Differences: More framerate options in video in 6500, IBIS, and increased buffer for burst shooting, and SUPPOSEDLY slightly better ISO noise, though this is more a result of processor changes than actual sensor changes. Aside from IBIS, the other two are more "situational" for the type of photographer you are. If you're going with native Sony glass, most of their lenses include OSS. Both feature that delicious 120fps EVF.

XBP

The two main things you are complaining about, low light performance and autofocus performance, are two of the A6000's strongest points as an APSC camera. It's possible that by being (I think) newer the XT20 may have edged out past it, but Sony was pretty much splooging all over the A6000 low light and AF speed.
Focusing is always going to be difficult in low light, ESPECIALLY with ANY kit lens -- your problem wasn't your camera, it was the slow 3.5-5.6. Focusing works off the light you have available, and tbh I'm not sure if the kit lens even uses the Phase Detect points on the A6000, as some of the older lenses don't support the PDAF for whatever reason.
Personally for your use case I'd recommend the 35 1.8. It won't work on an FE mount camera (well okay it will, but not full frame), but it's cheaper and better matched to your A6000. It's got OSS, is a normal lens, and is going to be MUCH better at AF and low light than your kit lenses. It's also going to be *quite a bit* cheaper than switching ecosystems for no gain.

Now, if you *do* get the 28mm, it's not entirely a waste, as I've heard that's a stupid good lens, and would make any potential upgrade to full frame quite a bit easier. That's one of the big reasons I went Sony.
Although I'll say Sony is much, much more attractive if you're okay with manual focus lenses, because Samyang has better value offerings than Sony.

If you want to switch to Fuji, it's because you want the controls and wider APSC lens selection, and that's gotta be worth a big investment to you because it's not going to be an even trade to switch. Not saying don't switch! Just saying your gripes here are more founded in your kit lens, than in your camera ecosystem.

That's basically it. It was just impossible for me to grab focus in that wedding and the camera hunted for minutes just to be able to focus for a few seconds to take a shot and then go back to hunting.

I didn't think of getting the 35mm 1.8 because it's basically the same price as the fe lens here (600 cad). And from what I can tell isn't sharp at all until f2.8 (??) which kinda makes it a useless f1.8 lens. I was looking into the sigma 1.4 as well but I've heard it has focusing issues?

The biggest reason the FE 28mm looks interesting to me is because if I ever get a full frame sony lens, at least I'll have a somewhat decent prime to start with and I wouldn't have to spend another thousand for that. I doubt sony plans on releasing any more apsc lenses so might as well decisions based on an eventual upgrade if I stay in their ecosystem

Basically I was thinking about it like this, if I'm spending 600 dollars on a prime lens. If the 18-55 on an xt20 gives me better or similar performance, why not spend a bit more and move over to that eco system. At least the future lenses I get will be somewhat cheaper and still very good.

Thanks again for your help btw.

That's basically it. It was just impossible for me to grab focus in that wedding and the camera hunted for minutes just to be able to focus for a few seconds to take a shot and then go back to hunting.

I didn't think of getting the 35mm 1.8 because it's basically the same price as the fe lens here (600 cad). And from what I can tell isn't sharp at all until f2.8 (??) which kinda makes it a useless f1.8 lens. I was looking into the sigma 1.4 as well but I've heard it has focusing issues?

The biggest reason the FE 28mm looks interesting to me is because if I ever get a full frame sony lens, at least I'll have a somewhat decent prime to start with and I wouldn't have to spend another thousand for that. I doubt sony plans on releasing any more apsc lenses so might as well decisions based on an eventual upgrade if I stay in their ecosystem

Basically I was thinking about it like this, if I'm spending 600 dollars on a prime lens. If the 18-55 on an xt20 gives me better or similar performance, why not spend a bit more and move over to that eco system. At least the future lenses I get will be somewhat cheaper and still very good.

Keep in mind I don't like the Fuji 18-55 kit lens. It's usable but, if you're doing portrait photography especially in natural light you can see the short comings. The Fuji ecosystem have a lot of good affordable enough primes at least. If you want to go full frame then look into what you want from Sony's line up and keep in mind focal lengths get asinine at times.

That's why I just do manual lenses :V
I've literally shot a few photos that I could not myself see.

Sigma can't take advantage of the PDAF points with that lens; which is dumb because they have an adapter for EF to E mount that, when using Sigma lenses, apparently works very well.

When people say "It isn't sharp until xyz", tune that out, look for images taken at 1.8, and judge for yourself. EVERY lens does that, some more than others. It's simple physics, a stopped down lens will become sharper. Some people will bitch that when you blow up a 4 pixel square to half your monitor, that it's slightly soft there. So find some 1.8 shots and see if you like them.
Hell at 1.8, you're trying to go for some DoF blur so who really cares if it's razor sharp?

Very valid reason, to be sure, and is yeah one of the advantages of the Sony ecosystem. But also weigh in how much you could make back on one lens to buy the other, and how likely you are to upgrade to FF. Not everyone does, it's not a perfect panacea and like everything has it's pros and cons. Just a matter of what will work for you!

The 18-55 kit lens will not get you anywhere near the same performance as the 28mm prime. Kit lenses are not to be compared to primes. Hell, in MOST cases, Zoom lenses in general aren't going to compare to primes. I can and have picked up a crappy 30 year old lens for $40 that shat on my Sony kit lens from a very high distance; and it was noted for being a "not as crappy as you'd expect" kit lens. (Funny enough, the 30 year old lens is also a 'kit' lens, but from a time when kit lenses were primes because zooms just kinda sucked)

Now, would an XT20 and a good 28mm prime do better than the A6000 with the kit lens? Almost assuredly. As would the A6000 itself with a good 28mm prime. But kit lens to kit lens, I'd struggle to ever justify any price, unless I just wanted the body that much.
Now, the XT20's kit lens appears to be 2.8-4, which is an improvement over 3.5-5.6, but it's not f2, nor f1.8.

But, if you're staying APSC, and you're fine essentially eating the upgrade cost and then getting another prime on top of it, by all means go for it. Fuji definitely cares more about APSC than Sony does. But if all you're gonna spend is $600, I'd just get the 28mm for sure.

No problem!

Keep in mind I don't like the Fuji 18-55 kit lens. It's usable but, if you're doing portrait photography especially in natural light you can see the short comings. The Fuji ecosystem have a lot of good affordable enough primes at least. If you want to go full frame then look into what you want from Sony's line up and keep in mind focal lengths get asinine at times.

IMO, kit lenses are just there to keep the sensor clean while you get a better lens.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
IMO, kit lenses are just there to keep the sensor clean while you get a better lens.

Kit lenses have their uses. Especially when one is on a budget. If you can use your skills to overcome the lens' shortcomings, you can take really great photos with a kit lens without having to spend a lot of money. The problem is that most beginners are paired with a kit lens from the get go, and don't have the required knowledge yet to know what to do with it.

Kit lenses have their uses. Especially when one is on a budget. If you can use your skills to overcome the lens' shortcomings, you can take really great photos with a kit lens without having to spend a lot of money. The problem is that most beginners are paired with a kit lens from the get go, and don't have the required knowledge yet to know what to do with it.
It depends on lighting. If you're in a studio and control it yeah sure. Outdoors free balling it with street photography (my subjects move)? No. I could probably swing them now since I'm more experienced than when I first started out, but why would I want to.

Top Bottom