• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

Rich!

So, I was moaning in this thread previously about not being able to find a DSi XL in good condition. Well, I found this in a charity shop for £30!

kjudpy.JPG

The outside is scratched a bit, but the inside is flawless and free from any marks or scratches. Now I have the best console for 3DS games AND the best for DS games!

wrrjgv.JPG

I'm glad you found what you were looking for.

If you want to play DS games, DSi is a huge improvement over the DSLite, but to each their own.

So, I was moaning in this thread previously about not being able to find a DSi XL in good condition. Well, I found this in a charity shop for £30!

kjudpy.JPG

The outside is scratched a bit, but the inside is flawless and free from any marks or scratches. Now I have the best console for 3DS games AND the best for DS games!

wrrjgv.JPG
I think Zavvi had DSi XLs on sale over Christmas for something like £60, IIRC.

I have a DSi but am missing XL from my collection.

What DS games do I desperately need? I have a few already, but I wanna buy them now before they get more scarce than they are already, I had to sell my large DS collection last year to pay a bill. I have so far

Zelda spirit tracks
Pokemon white, pearl.
Mario 64
Project rub

Rich!

I'll play anything except sports. I'm especially fond of RPG's, adventure, and platforms though.

Chrono Trigger DS is an absolute must have.

I would also recommend Kirby Super Star Ultra, which is an amazing remake of the best Kirby game and delivers shitloads of content that's brand new on top of it. Space Invaders Extreme 1 and 2 are ones that aren't recommended much, but they're insane fun, same for Planet Puzzle League.

just a couple of ideas there

Chrono Trigger DS is an absolute must have.

I would also recommend Kirby Super Star Ultra, which is an amazing remake of the best Kirby game and delivers shitloads of content that's brand new on top of it. Space Invaders Extreme 1 and 2 are ones that aren't recommended much, but they're insane fun, same for Planet Puzzle League.

just a couple of ideas there
Argh, I didn't know about Superstar Ultra. Have got to hunt this down. I have Canvas Curse and Mass Attack. Any other Kirby DS games I'm missing?

I'll play anything except sports. I'm especially fond of RPG's, adventure, and platforms though.

RPG:
Radiant Historia
The World Ends With You
SMT: Strange Journey
Dragon Quest V

Platformers:
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia (if it counts lol)
Kirby Canvas Curse
Umihara Kawase Shun ($$$ tho)
Henry Hatsworth

Adventure: (I probably mis-genre'd)
Phoenix Wright
Ghost Trick

Rich!

Is TWEWY that good? I've heard its good, but I've never seen it for a decent price.

It's alright, I personally didn't like the aesthetic but I enjoyed the gameplay.

And yeah, Kirby Canvas Curse is a great game but do not assume its a platformer. It's a platformer in the absolute loosest term.

Vitacat

Is TWEWY that good? I've heard its good, but I've never seen it for a decent price.

I'm sure fans will disagree, but I found it interesting and for its time really unique, but not that good as a game. Didn't hold my interest, and did not grow fond of the characters.

Watch some videos, maybe try the iOS version first etc.

Mzo

It had some unique systems for combat and stats. It was pretty forward thinking with no random battles, scalable risk/reward difficulty, great post-game content and a slick presentation with some fantastic music.

It also has an interesting premise for its story and an initially unlikeable main character akin to Squall, except he gets a real story arc and changes.

If anything gets you it'd be the combat. It definitely takes some getting used to.

Squeak Squad. It's very standard Kirby, but I actually greatly prefer it to SSU.

Kirby_-_Squeak_Squad_Coverart.png

It has two of my favorite power-ups:
Thanks, Max. That's another one to add to my list. I've only ever really played and beaten Epic Yarn, but have been on a mission to get all the Kirby games since then. I even have Dream Collection on Wii, but haven't played it yet. Hoping to get a Framemeister first, because I'm worried it'll look awful on a LCD TV like the Mario collection did.

maxcriden

Thanks, Max. That's another one to add to my list. I've only ever really played and beaten Epic Yarn, but have been on a mission to get all the Kirby games since then. I even have Dream Collection on Wii, but haven't played it yet. Hoping to get a Framemeister first, because I'm worried it'll look awful on a LCD TV like the Mario collection did.

My pleasure. And you know, I'll say I'm not terribly picky about these sorts of things, but I thought the Dream Collection looked pretty solid on my LCD. We didn't play Superstar on there since we already owned SSU, but we did play the Dream Land games and Kirby 64, and all of those are great fun. DL3 and 64 are really under-appreciated!

My pleasure. And you know, I'll say I'm not terribly picky about these sorts of things, but I thought the Dream Collection looked pretty solid on my LCD. We didn't play Superstar on there since we already owned SSU, but we did play the Dream Land games and Kirby 64, and all of those are great fun. DL3 and 64 are really under-appreciated!
Good to know about Dream Collection. I may try it soon. In the meantime, I've already found SSU and Squeak Squad for good prices on eBay. A friend in the States ihas ordered them and will ship them over to me.

Yasawas

Does anyone recognise these games I just won? Looks like:

98923267c.jpg

Mario vs Donkey Kong 2
???
Mario Kart DS
??? (Pokemon?)
Pokemon Trozei
Bowser's Inside Story
??? (Pokemon?)

I was getting a few other things from the seller and I quite fancied that CN case so was happy to take the gamble for a tenner, especially since I don't have any of the games I do recognise.

Havoc2049

Been meaning to join in on the photo-sharing fun for a while now, so here's my current collection. (Click to see full-sized version.) I'm still missing a number of games that I want to track down, and I've got a few other specialty boxes/accessories that are too far packed away at the moment to dig out.

Oh, and here's an update on my DS collection, including a few younger siblings (3DS) and some unwelcome guests. *heh* Also still missing a shade of pink or two in the different models.

shidoshi-portables.jpg

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ. For shame!
;-)

I just bought a copy LRRH Zombie BBQ on ebay, based on your review and recommendation many years ago. lol I've been meaning to buy a copy for years and seeing your post just reminded me. They are starting to get up there in price. Thanks, Shidoshi.. :) POF 4Lyfe! lol

Rich!

Just ordered a new replacement top shell for my DSi XL (the plate on the top, easy to replace) as my current one is scratched to hell. Gonna be good.

for £2.99 I expect quality!! heh

Does anyone recognise these games I just won? Looks like:

98923267c.jpg

Mario vs Donkey Kong 2
Ocha-ken no Heya DS
Mario Kart DS
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
Pokemon Trozei
Bowser's Inside Story
Pokemon Pearl

I was getting a few other things from the seller and I quite fancied that CN case so was happy to take the gamble for a tenner, especially since I don't have any of the games I do recognise.

There you go.

alf717

Nice pick up. I got a DSi XL at a flea market this past summer for $30. It was in really good condition with the box. The stylus wasn't original though but not a deal breaker at that price. I ended up completing Rocket Slime on it. It has so much charm and is really fun to play. I have some Rockman / Megaman goodies coming in the mail but I think my Megaman game is in shipping limbo.

Has anyone tried replacing the shell on a DSi XL with an aftermarket replacement? I'm kinda tired of my blue and it has a nasty scratch on the glossy top.

I noticed an ebay seller has a bunch of DSi XL replacement plates (like this nice white one), but I'm worried they are of dubious quality.

But they even have a case to convert it into the limited edition red one:

Mzo

It was very disappointing to play after Superstar Saga, but I can't remember specifically why. It's not a BAD game by any means.

I do remember not liking special attacks being linked to items.

Is Mario and Luigi Partners in time any good? I really enjoyed Bowsers Inside Story and wonder if its worth buying.

It's pretty awesome. (and so is DT, to a lesser extent tho)

I'm biased though because it was my first M&L game. I think people criticize it for its' length but IMO the length is just fine (~ 20 hours for a mario rpg with a thin story, why would you want more) and the battle system with the 4 bros is addicting.

Havoc2049

I just got this in the mail today.
WP_20150115_003_zpsd9017163.jpg

A couple of games from my DS collection...

WP_20150111_024_zps78b9a913.jpg

This should be on the front page, as it's one of the best action-adventure games on the DS.
WP_20150111_018_zps5742cddd.jpg

alf717

Man I'm a sucker for Megaman games. Operate Shooting Star and Zero Collection came in this week. I didn't know the eReader stuff for MMZC was included with the DS version so that alone made me real happy. I really should try to learn some Japanese at least enough to get by in games.

Oh, is that the CD that has the original tracks before they downgraded them to fit on the DS?

No. The preorder bonus CD is a a "best of" compilation of the first 20 years of Castlevania music.

PoR got its own 2-disc soundtrack release in Japan, with disc 2 containing the original Yamane and Koshiro compositions and disc 1 containing the lower quality DS arrangements.

Rich!

got home today to find the outer top lid replacement that I ordered (£2.99) for my DSi XL had arrived.

This is the top lid that was previously on it - it's hard to see due to the gloss, but it's scratched to hell. absolutely wrecked, which is why the console was only £30 despite the inside and underside being immaculate, including screens:

ib1g7bW5Y4ZcOU.JPG

after ten minutes with a screwdriver (easy as hell, remove the four rubber covers around the screen, unscrew and then slide the plate off), this is what I ended up with:

ibzggmD8oblWtC.JPG

and here's a photo of the inside:

damn good

and this technique will work with the N3DS XL too - gonna be changing the theme of mine as soon as spares become available on ebay.

Top Bottom