• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Anyone have a personal top ten or twenty for NES exclusives? I'd like to round things out sooner rather than later. I've waited on a couple and have seen their prices steadily rise..

If anything, I ought to purge a lot from my famicom collection, but if there's something I don't have much of, it's good NES exclusives.

1. Captain Tsubasa 2 - Super Striker
  2. Lagrange Point
  3. Akumajou Densetsu
  4. Journey to Silius
  5. Shatterhand/Tokyuu Shirei Solbrain
  6. Gun-Nac
  7. Gun-Dec/Vice:project Doom
  8. Bionic Commando/Top Secret:Hitler no Fukkatsu
  9. Batman
  10. Ninja Ryukenden/Ninja Gaiden series

That's a small part of my list at least. Too many tbh.

-KRS-

Anyone have a personal top ten or twenty for NES exclusives? I'd like to round things out sooner rather than later. I've waited on a couple and have seen their prices steadily rise..

If anything, I ought to purge a lot from my famicom collection, but if there's something I don't have much of, it's good NES exclusives.
I dunno if they're in my top anything really, but right now I can think of Strider and Legendary Wings. Both decent games and neither is very expensive.

Edit: oh is this about nes/fc exclusive games? I thought it was nes-only games. That is, games that came out in the US but not in Japan.

1. Captain Tsubasa 2 - Super Striker
  2. Lagrange Point
  3. Akumajou Densetsu
  4. Journey to Silius
  5. Shatterhand/Tokyuu Shirei Solbrain
  6. Gun-Nac
  7. Gun-Dec/Vice:project Doom
  8. Bionic Commando/Top Secret:Hitler no Fukkatsu
  9. Batman
  10. Ninja Ryukenden/Ninja Gaiden series

That's a small part of my list at least. Too many tbh.

I dunno if they're in my top anything really, but right now I can think of Strider and Legendary Wings. Both decent games and neither is very expensive.

Edit: oh is this about nes/fc exclusive games? I thought it was nes-only games. That is, games that came out in the US but not in Japan.

Oh yeah, I meant NES US/PAL exclusive, so games that are not on Famicom or Famicom Disk, but that's a nice looking list Rory!

I didn't realize Strider isn't on Famicom.. I'll probably have to pick that up. Got Legendary Wings. Will probably bite the bullet and pick up Battletoads and Double Dragon, and Kiwi Kraze. Loved those both as a kid.

Is Dash Galaxy any good? Box art looks neat and I have a soft spot for Data East.

OnPoint

My top 10 list of NES exclusives (US available), in no real order of preference
  1. Bucky O'hare
  2. River City Ransom
  3. Shatterhand
  4. Castlevania 1/3
  5. Blaster Master
  6. Metal Storm
  7. Super C
  8. Batman
  9. Ninja Gaiden 1/2
  10. Darkwing Duck

-KRS-

Oh yeah, I meant NES US/PAL exclusive, so games that are not on Famicom or Famicom Disk, but that's a nice looking list Rory!

I didn't realize Strider isn't on Famicom.. I'll probably have to pick that up. Got Legendary Wings. Will probably bite the bullet and pick up Battletoads and Double Dragon, and Kiwi Kraze. Loved those both as a kid.

Is Dash Galaxy any good? Box art looks neat and I have a soft spot for Data East.
Oh, Kiwi Kraze wasn't released in Japan? That seems odd. Been meaning to pick it up. Hopefully I can find an eBay auction of it with decent shipping costs.

No idea about Dash Galaxy as I never played it.

Edit: oh right, I just thought of Monster Party. Pretty cool game that you should definitely pick up if you don't have it. Still pretty cheap as well.

Chitown B

Non Nintendo character games I loved:

Jackal
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Ducktales
River City Ransom
Roadblasters

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Man, even cart-only prices for Ducktales 2 and C&D:RR2 have gotten ridiculous. Those are basically my holy grail NES games that I'd love to own, but that's never gonna happen at this point.

Does anyone know how much of a language barrier there is to the Famicom version of both of those games? They're still $50+ for the Fami versions but it's better than the $150+ the NES cartridges are commanding.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Man, even cart-only prices for Ducktales 2 and C&D:RR2 have gotten ridiculous. Those are basically my holy grail NES games that I'd love to own, but that's never gonna happen at this point.

Does anyone know how much of a language barrier there is to the Famicom version of both of those games? They're still $50+ for the Fami versions but it's better than the $150+ the NES cartridges are commanding.

None. I bought and completed them both on Famicom.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You can get it for under 50 bucks on amazon.

Tempting, though I like being able to see the condition of the cartridge, which Amazon listings unfortunately don't seem to offer.

I think I'm gonna eventually round out the remainder of the Disney/Capcom NES library though and pick up The Little Mermaid, Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, Talespin, and maybe even the US version of Mickey Mousecapade. They all seem to be reasonably priced under the $20 mark.

D.Lo

My top 10 list of NES exclusives (US available), in no real order of preference
  1. Bucky O'hare
  2. River City Ransom
  3. Shatterhand
  4. Castlevania 1/3
  5. Blaster Master
  6. Metal Storm
  7. Super C
  8. Batman
  9. Ninja Gaiden 1/2
  10. Darkwing Duck
Dude most of those were released on Famicom. Some were superior on Famicom.

A list of best platform (NES+Famicom) exclusives would be almost the same as a regular top list. A huge chunk of the library is exclusive just by the nature of its dominance.

Exclusive (to platform) was a different thing back then too, the platforms were so different. For example Castlevania isn't technically exclusive, but the MSX Vampire Killer is a completely different game, and the PC ports by hack western coders are just such garbage they can't be taken seriously as versions. There were few genuine multi-platform games back then.

OnPoint

And without further adieu, here's our pick for September!

Blaster_Master_boxart.jpg

Blaster Master won by a landslide. Like, it wasn't even close. It had more votes than all the other games combined. So the message I got was we really want to play this one.

PPzsfKv.png

The good news? It's cheap! Like, really really cheap! So pick it up and let's play!

OnPoint

Dude most of those were released on Famicom. Some were superior on Famicom.

A list of best platform (NES+Famicom) exclusives would be almost the same as a regular top list. A huge chunk of the library is exclusive just by the nature of its dominance.

Exclusive (to platform) was a different thing back then too, the platforms were so different. For example Castlevania isn't technically exclusive, but the MSX Vampire Killer is a completely different game, and the PC ports by hack western coders are just such garbage they can't be taken seriously as versions. There were few genuine multi-platform games back then.

I didn't mean to imply that they weren't on the Famicom? Or that they were exclusive to the US? I thought the poster said they wanted US titles. I mean, Vampire Killer and Castlevania are not the same game to me at all. River City Ransom received a "port" to the GBA as well, so it's not technically exclusive as well. It was a hard list to make for this very reason.

dubc35

Nice! I have Blaster Master, bought it from Gamestop online for like $5!

...now to play via composite on my PVM, smh lol. I haven't hooked anything up via composite yet so we'll see how bad it looks!

BTails

Nice. Here's hoping ym RGB modded AV Famicom shows up soon, so I can get my Blaster Master on. Best opening ever: your pet frog runs away, jumps onto a box of radioactive material in your backyard and mutates. You follow your mutated super frog down a random giant hole, find a tank, and decide to become THE BLASTER MASTER.

Also, a quick word of caution regarding the new Analogue NT Mini: I did not have a good experience with the company when I purchased the original Analogue NT (2nd wave). The system was great, but comparability with the Famicom Everdrive was absolutely horrendous, despite their claims that it was 100% compatible, and I was given the runaround by Analogue support. They refused to look into the issue until I started a very large thread on Krikkz's forum. This was back in April, and the issue has still been unresolved, with Analogue having been quiet on the issue for months now.

Thankfully they refunded my full amount (including shipping) when I returned the system, but I would steer clear of the company. They target the luxury market, but their customer service is abysmal: considering the price of their hardware, I expected WAY more.

I have two original NESes. One works fine but the other doesn't, got the flashing screen of death. This means either the pins are fucked or the lockout chip is fucked. I remember seeing a while ago that someone devised a static replacement for the pins that eliminates the wear of pushing down the carts. What is that called and is it a viable solution?

OnPoint

I have two original NESes. One works fine but the other doesn't, got the flashing screen of death. This means either the pins are fucked or the lockout chip is fucked. I remember seeing a while ago that someone devised a static replacement for the pins that eliminates the wear of pushing down the carts. What is that called and is it a viable solution?

If you're thinking of the Blinking Light Win, I have two, and it has a death grip on some carts. It works, but man, it's rough getting some games out.

Some folks here can speak to repairing your current pins through boiling and rebending them, though I've never done it myself.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Are there any good Arcade-style microswitched Joysticks available for the NES/Famicom outside of the $150 ASCII units I'm seeing on eBay?

Mega

Banned
Nice. Here's hoping ym RGB modded AV Famicom shows up soon, so I can get my Blaster Master on. Best opening ever: your pet frog runs away, jumps onto a box of radioactive material in your backyard and mutates. You follow your mutated super frog down a random giant hole, find a tank, and decide to become THE BLASTER MASTER.

Also, a quick word of caution regarding the new Analogue NT Mini: I did not have a good experience with the company when I purchased the original Analogue NT (2nd wave). The system was great, but comparability with the Famicom Everdrive was absolutely horrendous, despite their claims that it was 100% compatible, and I was given the runaround by Analogue support. They refused to look into the issue until I started a very large thread on Krikkz's forum. This was back in April, and the issue has still been unresolved, with Analogue having been quiet on the issue for months now.

Thankfully they refunded my full amount (including shipping) when I returned the system, but I would steer clear of the company. They target the luxury market, but their customer service is abysmal: considering the price of their hardware, I expected WAY more.

That's unfortunate, but I don't think that will be an issue anymore as the new Mini will be FPGA-based. The AVS is also FPGA-based and it runs the Everdrive without a problem.

I wonder if this nasty Everdrive incompatibility was insurmountable and was the cause for ceasing NT production and coming out with the NT Mini.

-KRS-

Edit: I wonder if it would be possible to have save-state functionality directly in the AVS btw. Since it's FPGA based and all. I guess that would require it to dump the cart to memory and run it from there though. But it'd be pretty cool. :)

Are there any good Arcade-style microswitched Joysticks available for the NES/Famicom outside of the $150 ASCII units I'm seeing on eBay?

I know there are NES versions of the Competition Pro joysticks. I had one for Amiga/Atari ST and it was my favorite stick for that, but it eventually crapped out on me. Not sure what they cost though.

Mega

Banned
I got my Hi-Def NES yesterday. Great picture quality at 1080p and the amount of customizing you can do is amazing. I can still feel the 40ms input lag from my plasma but it's completely playable compared to the lag in Win10 and Retroarch. I still prefer NES on CRT (looks so much better) but this is great for anyone who doesn't have CRTs and doesn't want one taking up space in the home.

My few gripes are the scanlines, the palettes and the lack of 5x.

Scanlines really are too thin at 1080p to the point of not looking quite right. It does look better at 720p, but running the Hi Def at that resolution loses the pixel-perfect sharpness of bypassing my TV's scaler (possibly adds a bit of lag too). I'm confused as to why the lines look so bad because the Ultra HDMI N64 has fantastic, convincing scanlines at all resolutions.

Whereas color looks great on my NESRGB Famicom connected to CRT, none of the Hi Def palette options look very good on the plasma. This is strange because the NESRGB and Hi Def NES share at least two of the same palettes: FCEUX and Playchoice 10. It may be that the color needs calibration on my TV but everything else I play on it, including Retroarch NES, looks good color-wise... so I don't know what's going on.

The 5x thing is a minor issue but would be nice to have. As it was explained in another thread, the top and bottom of the picture would extend outside a 1080p frame, but this is just part of the picture that would be in the overscan of a CRT. Nothing lost and you would have a vertically fullscreen image. There's a 4.5x mode but that's non-integer.

BTails

I got my Hi-Def NES yesterday. Great picture quality at 1080p and the amount of customizing you can do is amazing. I can still feel the 40ms input lag from my plasma but it's completely playable compared to the lag in Win10 and Retroarch. I still prefer NES on CRT (looks so much better) but this is great for anyone who doesn't have CRTs and doesn't want one taking up space in the home.

My few gripes are the scanlines, the palettes and the lack of 5x.

Scanlines really are too thin at 1080p to the point of not looking quite right. I do look better at 720p, but running the Hi Def at that resolution loses the pixel-perfect sharpness of bypassing my TV's scaler (possibly adds a bit of lag too). I'm confused as to why the lines look so bad because the Ultra HDMI N64 has fantastic, convincing scanlines at all resolutions.

Whereas color looks great on my NESRGB Famicom connected to CRT, none of the Hi Def palette options look very good on the plasma. This is strange because the NESRGB and Hi Def NES share at least two of the same palettes: FCEUX and Playchoice 10. It may be that the color needs calibration on my TV but everything else I play on it, including Retroarch NES, looks good color-wise... so I don't know what's going on.

The 5x thing is a minor issue but would be nice to have. As it was explained in another thread, the top and bottom of the picture would extend outside a 1080p frame, but this is just part of the picture that would be in the overscan of a CRT. Nothing lost and you would have a vertically fullscreen image. There's a 4.5x mode but that's non-integer.

Thanks for the impressions Mega! I loved having the Hi-Def NES upgrade when I had my Analogue NT, but I definitely agree with you on the palette, nothing ever quite looked "just right". When my RGB modded fami shows up, it'll be interesting to see how the palette choices look to me.

D.Lo

I didn't mean to imply that they weren't on the Famicom? Or that they were exclusive to the US? I thought the poster said they wanted US titles. I mean, Vampire Killer and Castlevania are not the same game to me at all. River City Ransom received a "port" to the GBA as well, so it's not technically exclusive as well. It was a hard list to make for this very reason.
Ah the question was about NES (aka NA/PAL) exclusives that were not on the Famicom.

Man. Geez. I got an ASCII Stick and an ASCII Stick II for very reasonable prices in the last year. Set up an alert and keep looking. They are great sticks. Not sure what else compares.

Blaster Master won by a landslide. Like, it wasn't even close. It had more votes than all the other games combined. So the message I got was we really want to play this one.

Cool! I'll have my copy of Meta Fight ready to play!

nice! i have it =)
NKlYNU6l.jpg

the bad news is, i didn't pick up a nes yet =/

Chittagong

Everyone is probably going to hate the suggestion, but would it make sense to vote a quarter's worth of games on one go? That would allow for longer shipping times and bundling could save a lot in shipping fees, especially since many of the games can be found at fairly decent prices on Lukies. Sure, eBay shopping leads to even better bargains but I always find myself a bit late.

Cogwheels

Neo Member

PPzsfKv.png

The good news? It's cheap! Like, really really cheap! So pick it up and let's play!

I've never actually played this properly nor participated in the club. This could be fun :)

OnPoint

Everyone is probably going to hate the suggestion, but would it make sense to vote a quarter's worth of games on one go? That would allow for longer shipping times and bundling could save a lot in shipping fees, especially since many of the games can be found at fairly decent prices on Lukies. Sure, eBay shopping leads to even better bargains but I always find myself a bit late.

I don't hate the suggestion at all. I'm open to it if everyone thinks it might be a good idea. Doing three months at a time would actually help it not feel so rushed.

D.Lo

Yep I'd be in for that.

It might be okay for you yanks ordering games domestically, but there often isn't a copy of every game available in Oceania, and ordering from the US takes several weeks.

PPzsfKv.png

Didn't vote for it, but I've never actually played this game.. Hah. Best time as any!

You've got nothing to lose then in opening up the system for a good revitalizing! I'm in no way handy or a tool guy, or do modifications, but I can follow simple instructions, and I've boiled pins on 3 NES systems.. It works!

I'll leave you to find the guide, as I'm on mobile, and that is a fate worse than death, but it's quite simple.. I'll hit the main points.

Open system being careful to retain all the screws... There are a lot of them.... You get down to the pin device.. Slide that off the board, and clean the contacts on that board on both sides! Cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol is good.. So it magic eraser or art eraser.

Take the pin piece.. Start boiling it! Stir occasionally.. Do it for a few minutes, then take a game cartridge and insert it in and out of the pins a bunch of times to loosen up any crud on them. You can swab off the cart and see all the stuff that's coming off. Keep doing that until it's clean.. Throw it back in for another good boil... You'll take it out and dry it off. Let it dry for awhile before doing anything it with

Meanwhile, take care of that lockout chip!
Refer to the guides, but it's as easy as severing one of the 'legs' of the chip with precision cutting device.

Clean the interior of the system. Got those cobwebs out, or that coca cola your cousin spilled into it years ago!

Put it all back together. Be amazed as it works the first time, every time. Well mostly. Just remember, every time you put a dirty game in the console, you're making dirt deposits. I keep the swab and alcohol handy for just about any cart I insert into the system.

It's a good learning experience, and it's fun! Enjoy the boil!

Neat, thanks. I'll try that, hopefully it works. If it does I'll just need to buy a replacement door for the unit (no idea how I lost it) and I'll have two worming frontloaders. Maybe I'll RGB mod the one.

Is there a specific cutting tool you'd recommend for the lockout chip?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Im fine with changing the system somewhat. But what if we always decide two months in advance, so say we now vote and decide for october, then when its time for the september vote, we decide for november etc. That should help improve things, and keep the voting process (which is fun in its own right) a monthly thing.

OnPoint

Im fine with changing the system somewhat. But what if we always decide two months in advance, so say we now vote and decide for october, then when its time for the september vote, we decide for november etc. That should help improve things, and keep the voting process (which is fun in its own right) a monthly thing.

This seems like a good compromise.

Any thoughts? Any denials?

Sure, why not?

Top Bottom