• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Christ the USPS makes me nervous.

I have a few carts coming in from Japan. I shipped them to my workplace instead of home since I'm here during usual USPS delivery hours...

Except the package was first attempted to be delivered on Saturday, when my workplace was closed.

Then Labor Day happened.

So ideally today would be the "next business day" that it would be shipped, no?

Nope, the mail has come for the day and no package within.

Fuck.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's possible you might have to pick it up from a center.

I might drive over to the post office later but the tracking says:

Your item is being held at the Post Office in NEW ORLEANS, LA XXXXX on September 3, 2016 at 10:09 am because the business was closed. The item will be delivered the next delivery day that the business is open. If this item is unclaimed after 5 days then it will be returned to the sender.

So i figure if I go to the PO they'll just tell me it's on a truck, but we'll see.

They close at 4:30 so if the tracking doesn't get updated by 4pm I'll take a ride over there to see if I can get an answer.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Won a few inexpensive Famicom carts from Yakatoku via eBay. Here's hoping the combined shipping rate is decent otherwise $14 shipping per cart is a bit obscene.

D.Lo

Won a few inexpensive Famicom carts from Yakatoku via eBay. Here's hoping the combined shipping rate is decent otherwise $14 shipping per cart is a bit obscene.
Blame dodgy buyers, they were forced to use fully online-tracked shipping for every order no matter how small for everything because of assholes filing false claims.

They do combine postage pretty well.

Blame dodgy buyers, they were forced to use fully online-tracked shipping for every order no matter how small for everything because of assholes filing false claims.

They do combine postage pretty well.

they do, and yeah, great seller. really shitty to hear if that's why prices jacked up, jackasses ruin it for everyone.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
they do, and yeah, great seller. really shitty to hear if that's why prices jacked up, jackasses ruin it for everyone.

There's another auction of theirs I bid on that ends in four days (Not that I expect to win one that far out.) so I shot 'em a message saying I'd be requesting combined shipping when that one ends...didn't want them thinking I was refusing payment or something.

There's another auction of theirs I bid on that ends in four days (Not that I expect to win one that far out.) so I shot 'em a message saying I'd be requesting combined shipping when that one ends...didn't want them thinking I was refusing payment or something.

If you're talking about Yamatoku, as they say in their descriptions you can wait up to two weeks without messaging them and they'll automatically add anything you buy during that period into a ticket. It's really handy stuff. Just be sure to message or pay by the time you hit two weeks after the first unpaid purchase though.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If you're talking about Yamatoku, as they say in their descriptions you can wait up to two weeks without messaging them and they'll automatically add anything you buy during that period into a ticket. It's really handy stuff. Just be sure to message or pay by the time you hit two weeks after the first unpaid purchase though.

Typically when I buy a bunch of stuff from one seller on eBay, I use the "Request total price from seller" option, is that the wrong thing to do?

Well shit, here's hoping I didn't piss off someone on their end by messaging them beforehand.

Typically when I buy a bunch of stuff from one seller on eBay, I use the "Request total price from seller" option, is that the wrong thing to do?

Well shit, here's hoping I didn't piss off someone on their end by messaging them beforehand.
No, normally that's the right thing to do. And you used to have to do that with Yamatoku too, but sometime earlier this year or so they switched over to making a combined 6ticket of all of a buyer's unpaid purchases on their end, without you needing to ask for it. They need to add things to the combined shipping total manually of course so depending on when an auction ends it may take a little while for the combined total to update, but they'll get to it. This makes things easier for sure versus the usual 'request a total, wait a day or more for them to get back to you, etc'.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
No, normally that's the right thing to do. And you used to have to do that with Yamatoku too, but sometime earlier this year or so they switched over to making a combined 6ticket of all of a buyer's unpaid purchases on their end, without you needing to ask for it. They need to add things to the combined shipping total manually of course so depending on when an auction ends it may take a little while for the combined total to update, but they'll get to it. This makes things easier for sure versus the usual 'request a total, wait a day or more for them to get back to you, etc'.

I'm a little confused here. If I don't send them a message telling them when my final purchase will be, how would they know when to send me the invoice?

yeah, ABF is spot-on with Yamatoku, that's exactly how my purchases through them have been - never had an issue, either. really fair on bundles & again a really great seller overall...my biggest problem personally was i knew damn well if i bought one thing off him, i was likely gonna try to grab another 3 or 4, haha

Saroyan

Regarding FDS belt replacement and alignment, I used the method in this video.

https://youtu.be/fOY1G3Sg11Q

My drive had a dried out snapped belt but it works perfectly now, I only have about a dozen FDS games but I haven't had any problems reading discs. The only uncommon tool needed is an allen wrench with a longish shaft to reach a set screw.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Finally tracked down my missing package at the post office today, so that's cool.

BGYt8ukl.jpg

Contents here.

Okay so Famicom collecting may have hit an addiction level for me. I blame auctions.

Outside of the carts that came with my Famicom at purchase I've only made two batch cartridge purchases, which were all "Buy it Now" sales from waterclocker83 on eBay.

However, two weeks ago I discovered Hit-Japan's "Surprise Auction" section where they listed a bunch of product, all with boxes (some with manuals) for 99-cents and let them ride. I went through and put in bids for everything I wanted at what I thought they were worth and ended up winning the majority of what I bid on. (A boxed copy of Salamander and Rockman 5 slipped through, but eh, whatcha gonna do?)

If it weren't for the auctions being so inexpensive I wouldn't have bothered. Half of the games I won for less than than $10 (with some even less than $5) and the remainder was less than $20 except for one.

I figure if there's something in there I don't want to keep for my personal collection, an included box means that I'll be able to recoup what I paid for it, and in some cases maybe even make a bit of profit, so it's fairly risk-free.

Now Yamatoku is doing it to me as well. A bunch of inexpensive auction games. After this one I'm done with randomly buying Famicom stuff for the rest of the year--I need to enjoy what I have before I buy anything else.

(I may buy some NES carts though...I want to fill out the remainder of my Capcom Disney game NES collection.)

With that being said, would anyone be interested in trading carts? Due to the above mentioned auction I now have duplicates of Mario Bros. and Kirby's Adventure. If anyone would like either and has anything they'd like to trade for shoot me a PM. I can snap a picture of the two cartridges when I get home tonight.

If nobody wants to trade in a few days I'll offer them for sale to you guys and/or gals.

OnPoint

Is Wolverine actually bad? And if so, why'd the Folin bros keep getting stuck making amazing music for not so amazing games?
I can beat wolverine in like 20 minutes lol. That said here's my breakdown: It controls ok. The levels themselves aren't too bad. But it has some wonky decisions. Touching an enemy drains health, as in the longer you contact it, the more health it continues to drain. The enemy placement isn't great, it's definitely trial and error in a few spots. There isn't much in the way of boss battles. The music is awesome and there are a bunch of secrets to find. It's not insultingly bad but it's not a great game. It's honestly pretty meh but it can be fun in the right mindset.

yeah, ABF is spot-on with Yamatoku, that's exactly how my purchases through them have been - never had an issue, either. really fair on bundles & again a really great seller overall...my biggest problem personally was i knew damn well if i bought one thing off him, i was likely gonna try to grab another 3 or 4, haha

Hah... yeah. The worst thing about Yamatoku's '14 days with no contact needed and automatic invoices' policy is that it encourages you to spend too much... I've had that problem before for sure. :)

Lothar

Banned
Tip for anyone playing Blaster Master for the first time. There's lots of doors inside of a stage that take you to different areas. Only one of them contains the boss and stage weapon. That's always in the farthest away place in the stage. It would be good to keep that in mind for stages 3 and 4. If there's a door along the path and the path doesn't end, that's not the main door.

The other doors give you temporary power ups. You don't really need to get any until stage 5.

bearbytes

Tip for anyone playing Blaster Master for the first time. There's lots of doors inside of a stage that take you to different areas. Only one of them contains the boss and stage weapon. That's always in the farthest away place in the stage. It would be good to keep that in mind for stages 3 and 4. If there's a door along the path and the path doesn't end, that's not the main door.

The other doors give you temporary power ups. You don't really need to get any until stage 5.

Yeah, most of the doors are more trouble than they're worth, IMO.

Teknoman

Did you not watch the GamePro TV review posted on a previous page?

https://youtu.be/QOZ7W94XeeE?t=14m57s

Wow radical ratings!

I miss the Gamepro score icons / mag in general...

Gotta get going with Blaster Master.

On that note, with the way the WiiU displays NES games, its probably better to just play Earthbound Beginnings on original hardware? I mean I still bought the download day 1 for support, but still.

Also Adventure Island 3 should be playable in japanese right?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm finally ready to RGB mod my NES, but the NES RGB is out of stock for a few weeks :(

Actually, I think I'll mod my OG Famicom. D.Lo mentioned his dream of a modded OG Famicom once, and it got into my psyche.

D.Lo

I'm finally ready to RGB mod my NES, but the NES RGB is out of stock for a few weeks :(

Actually, I think I'll mod my OG Famicom. D.Lo mentioned his dream of a modded OG Famicom once, and it got into my psyche.
I still haven't done it either, you might beat me to it!

I have some strange wish now to make a filthy sunburned yellow Famicom my main one. Like one of my really used looking ones. Maybe even a square button/smooth bottom 1983 model.

BocoDragon

I still haven't done it either, you might beat me to it!

I have some strange wish now to make a filthy sunburned yellow Famicom my main one. Like one of my really used looking ones. Maybe even a square button/smooth bottom 1983 model.

I'm also eying an NES controller -> Famicom expansion port converter like the one you mentioned way back. Someone on eBay is selling them pre-made. I know it's the easiest mod in the world, but I'd probably make it look junky, and it saves me the hassle of sourcing the Famicom/NeoGeo extension and NES extension parts.

So basically I'm just biting your style wholesale, lol.

Is Wolverine actually bad? And if so, why'd the Folin bros keep getting stuck making amazing music for not so amazing games?

Kinda sorta. Software Creations games almost always look and sound great, but something about the core gameplay always feels kind of awry. The enemies never quite fit the license of the given game, the level design is always a bit too confusing, spread out, and unintuitive, and the enemy and trap layouts and patterns are always just a bit too unfair, with the gameplay just not being strong enough to lead you to want to keep playing to memorize everything.

I was always kind of under the impression that the Follin brothers were often involved with programming these Software Creations games in addition to scoring music for them, so you have to take the good with the bad. FWIW without thinking too hard about it, I remember Tom & Jerry NES, Treasure Master, and Solstice being among the better, more playable Follin Brothers-composed games.

BTails

Cross posting from the Upscaler thread. Also, note the Blaster Master in the final pic...

So, I received my AV Famicom with NESRGB board from Baphomet yesterday in the mail. Oh my goodness, this thing is amazing! The quality is superb, and Bapho did a phenomenal job with the modding: the installation is super clean. He went above and beyond helping me, as there were difficulties (The NES RGB board I had originally ordered was faulty!).

A total class act, and I can't recommend his services enough. Thanks so much! And now, some pics...

ISbfzTe.jpg

The Famicom itself, it was in super good condition with no yellowing (Despite looking a bit like it in this pic)

wmbVML4.jpg

Batman ready for his closeup.

5KhG0bZ.jpg

Left, my stock NES. Right, the Famicom AV.

0L6HRdT.jpg

Finally, there it is hanging with its older siblings in my setup.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
As aforementioned, here's the Kirby and Mario Bros. carts I have up for trade if anyone is interested.

OwenAx4l.jpg

DulCSCrl.jpg

Also the Japanese Ghosts 'n Goblins manual is amazing.

pP7Cg9ol.jpg

VT3JwXXl.jpg

8tGW21Vl.jpg

XULqdWDl.jpg

acM3njnl.jpg

5bTi7JZl.jpg

vdgik3Rl.jpg

Fn8KkUal.jpg

EzPvQBOl.jpg

ZloHmoNl.jpg

Us0IB3Cl.jpg

BocoDragon

Woot! I found an FDS Ram Adapter at a local shop today. Ordered an FDSstick. Soon I'll be in disk system heaven.

I still want the actual disk unit but.. that can wait till later.

Now to wait until October for NES RGB units to be restocked for the original Famicom. My ascension into 8-bit paradise is all proceeding to plan...

BTails

So I got some Blast Master played... First off, I LOVE the Save State function on the Everdrive N8. Not using it to cheat, but I had to turn the game off at stage 3, so I was able to save my progress.

FKfuggW.jpg

It still holds up really well, though I took a lot of unnecessary deaths. All during the Tank stages too, mostly when exiting the tank. Pro-tip: you really have to make sure you don't fall more than a few pixels when on foot in the sidescrolling sections!

Looking forward to getting back to it soon. Anyone else get some time to play yet?

Top Bottom