• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ‘Lord of the Rings’ Movies in the Works at Warners, New Line

Catphish

It's disrespectful to Tolkien's legacy and his life's work.

He didn't spend the vast majority of his adult life creating his work of fiction so it could be shat on and twisted decades later by companies looking to make a profit. Amazon's pathetic attempt with Rings of Power was insulting enough.

If it's a well-planned, earnest endeavor with respect for the established lore, it could work.

Admittedly, however, that is one big fucking 'if'.

FunkMiller

The fundamental thing none of these greedy cunts understand is that Lord Of The Rings is the story. Everything else is just notes, backstory and background shit.

And we already have the definitive version of the story by Peter Jackson.

But yeah, let's have Lord Of The Rings: Elrond Begins and Lord Of The Rings: What Aragorn Did Next. Why the fuck not, in this creatively fucking bankrupt era.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The fundamental thing none of these greedy cunts understand is that Lord Of The Rings is the story. Everything else is just notes, backstory and background shit.

And we already have the definitive version of the story by Peter Jackson.

But yeah, let's have Lord Of The Rings: Elrond Begins and Lord Of The Rings: What Aragorn Did Next. Why the fuck not, in this creatively fucking bankrupt era.
I'd argue that the Silmarillion is the story.

Kadve

Fun fact. Tolkien hated Walt Disney with a passion (something about how he cared more about money than actually putting any passion into his movies. And the way he treated fairy tails as free game to mold into something that would make money rather than actually telling them) and swore that his company would never touch any of his works. Even putting that as a clause when he sold the Middle Earth rights to United artists back i the 60s. Still curious whether his estate will ever break that mandate.

Last edited:

Toons

Surprised it took them this long.

Folks will keep buying so they will keep making.

Such is the way of capitalism.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Fun fact. Tolkien hated Walt Disney with a passion (something about how he cared more about money than actually putting any passion into his movies. And the way he treated fairy tails as free game to mold into something that would make money rather than actually telling them) and swore that his company would never touch any of his works. Even putting that as a clause when he sold the Middle Earth rights to United artists back i the 60s. Still curious whether his estate will ever break that mandate.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, given how they are allowing that Rings of Power shitshow to exist.

Last edited:

Kadve

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, given how they are allowing that Rings of Power shitshow to exist.
Read up on it a little. Turns out that the Tolkien estate has nothing to do with either LOTR or the Hobbit. He sold the rights completely but they do still own everything else related to the Middle earth (the Silmarillion, Unfinished tales, even those Tom Bombabil books). This is why Rings of Power cant reference the more famous books as their deal was directly with the Estate. And these movies would most likely be entirely based on them.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I liked Dune.

Good point. That has been a notoriously difficult book to adapt but they did a decent job. Herbert, like GRRM after him, spends paragraphs detailing things other writers spare a few sentences on. Lynch seemed like a natural fit and yet, well, we all saw how his film turned out.

Rush2112

Calling it now Gandalf will be played by Emma Watson who will be 10x more powerful than actual Gandalf because "strong independent woman." The Witch King of Angmar will be played by AOC and Saruman will be played by Ilhan Omar. Super woke anti American edition.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Calling it now Gandalf will be played by Emma Watson who will be 10x more powerful than actual Gandalf because "strong independent woman." The Witch King of Angmar will be played by AOC and Saruman will be played by Ilhan Omar. Super woke anti American edition.
Friends don’t let friends YouTube

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
O0HbCmW.jpg

They still don't have the rights to The Silmarillion. Just Hobbit and Lord of the Rings plus appendices, just like Amazon. Supposedly they are not trying to remake the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, so could be more ancient history mentioned in appendices, or could be more recent history like the animated movie coming out next year "War of the Rohirrim".

Peter Jackson is in the loop, so could be involved. If he wanted to do something tied to his other movies, he could do a "War in the North" movie that covers the unseen events that happened at the same time as Lord of the Rings, and could include some characters and sets used in both the Hobbit movies and Lord of the Rings movies.

The move comes two decades after director Peter Jackson’s hugely popular The Lord of the Rings saga, which won 17 Oscars. Now Jackson — and his writing partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens — are the precious talent Warners hopes to get on board with its efforts after Amazon seemingly fumbled its courtship of the filmmaker (Jackson told THR that Amazon had reached out to him about its series, but then — after the company’s executive shake-up — he was never sent any scripts). Sources say Jackson and Walsh were very frustrated that so many believed they were involved with Amazon’s show, and are now engaging with Warners/New Line, curious as to how they’ll be stewards of J.R.R. Tolkien’s legacy.

Also this quote:

Studio insiders suggest Warners’ focus on LOTR and Harry Potter and its recent signing of Akiva Goldsman and M. Night Shyamalan smack of nostalgia for the early 2000s. “It’s a sign of desperation, they want to make it seem like they are the studio of old,” one insider scoffs. “The Hobbit didn’t leave people wanting more.”

I don't know man, they all made around a billion, with Five Armies actually above Smaug. Plus the extended versions of the final two were quite different and better than theatrical. People are aware of how difficult the production was. Now that Amazon's incredibly expensive and time consuming production tanked, The Hobbit ended up looking better than before.

Last edited:
Just fucking let Jackson make movies about the stories of the Silmarils and Valinor and shit. Tolkien estate needs to not be protective of this. He could start with a Beren and Luthien film.

Last edited:

John_Ryder

TLOTR is the best set of films ever made IMHO. They can make another abomination like that amazon series for all I care and nothing will change.

Top Bottom