• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Blizzard

Banned
I've finally just started being a dick and saying no drinks on the table. The very first time I brought Tiny Epic Galaxy someone spilled a soda all over their player mat and cards.

betapeter

Neo Member
We were playing Hey! That's my fish down the pub once and my friend dropped a fish token in her beer. We call it beer fish and it's worth triple points now

jason10mm

I've finally just started being a dick and saying no drinks on the table. The very first time I brought Tiny Epic Galaxy someone spilled a soda all over their player mat and cards.

Hey, at least that s a cheap replacement, even if you have to buy the game over. My sister spilt milk all over her hubbies copy of Puerto Rico Deluxe (Anniversary?) Edition. $100 game...ouch.

Blizzard

Banned
Tortuga 1667 arrived today and I just looked through the components. From the rubber map to the magnetic book, this is my favorite game presentation in a while.

I haven't read the rules exhaustively but I'm really loving the sound of it. It APPEARS that despite supporting up to 9 players, it's not an elimination game, plus there's potential for strategy.

Just played Pandemic: The Cure solo (controlling three characters) and I won my very first time by the skin of my teeth, but only because I forgot I was supposed to roll the center dice plus the dice amount you're at on epidemics. Oops. So, really, a loss.

Better prepared, I played the second time with three new characters and did everything right, but forgot I can treat center dice into the bag. Oops. I was only sending them to the infection area, but I don't think it would have made that much of a difference (but maybe since I had the medic this time).

Really fun game. Can't wait to play it with some family members.

Experien

Tortuga 1667 arrived today and I just looked through the components. From the rubber map to the magnetic book, this is my favorite game presentation in a while.

I haven't read the rules exhaustively but I'm really loving the sound of it. It APPEARS that despite supporting up to 9 players, it's not an elimination game, plus there's potential for strategy.

No player elimination at all. There is eliminated people's options by destroying the rowboat and making one of the ships harder to get to though. I've played it 2 player as well as 9 player. 2 player it is another game entirely but I did enjoy it. 9 player I am unsure of but that is because I had a couple bad apples in our game session.

Blizzard

Banned
No player elimination at all. There is eliminated people's options by destroying the rowboat and making one of the ships harder to get to though. I've played it 2 player as well as 9 player. 2 player it is another game entirely but I did enjoy it. 9 player I am unsure of but that is because I had a couple bad apples in our game session.
What did the bad apples do, just so I'm prepared for personality management?

Elder Sign is a fun dice roller.
indeed it is and it was meant to be a "light" version of the arkham horror//eldritch horror games :)
that being said...
1) I missed champions of hara.. and I'm regretting..
2) I pledged 1 usd for eldorado and will now get the game through pledge manager..
3) 7th continent I'll go all in!

Experien

What did the bad apples do, just so I'm prepared for personality management?

Perhaps bad apples is not the best way to put it. It was just that it wasn't their game, didn't understand it, or uninterested. One person never understood what to do on their turn and all you do is one action. Another person didn't like the hidden identity. So just a combination of disinterest during the game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I have taught about 10 people Aeon's End on TTS now and I think all of them have asked where they can buy it lol. 2nd edition should be in stores tomorrow, it looks like, with the first stand alone expansion coming the 18th. Get this game!

Chris R

Tried Seafall last night...

I mean it seems like it could be fun, but the prologue took forever and that was only with the first four milestones. I mean I guess stuff might pick up when people know exactly what they can and can't do each and every single turn, but for us we had to keep checking the rule book at every single question to make sure we were doing things right.

Don't know if we have the willpower to stick with it. It's a pretty cool concept and setup though. The Captains Booke being a choose your own adventure type deal was the highlight of everyones I believe, but it would be better if things were potentially "dangerous"? IE -1 to something instead of everything giving +1. Maybe it can be and we just had good luck last night, IDK.

So I had been waiting on Descent 2nd Edition to be reprinted. It finally did and looks to be available at around the MSRP of 80 bucks. However, it hasn't been sold directly by Amazon yet, and when they sell direct, I usually see higher discounts.

Thoughts on if this is the best its going to be for a while and I should buy it, or wait a little longer?

Chris R

So I had been waiting on Descent 2nd Edition to be reprinted. It finally did and looks to be available at around the MSRP of 80 bucks. However, it hasn't been sold directly by Amazon yet, and when they sell direct, I usually see higher discounts.

Thoughts on if this is the best its going to be for a while and I should buy it, or wait a little longer?

It was on sale direct from Amazon a week or so ago for $77.

Still not low enough for me to jump on it though with Gloomhaven coming to me before the end of the year :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

$68 on CSI right now. Get free shipping if your order is at least $100. Probably can get the core box and an expansion.

When I thought about LotR like Rolento suggested, I got kinda apprehensive because I have to sleeve everything. I didn't feel like adding the cost of sleeves this time, so I went with dice!

I sleeve everything too, but penny sleeves work great, it's just $1 for a pack of 100. But no wrong decision here though ^_^

zulux21

http://imgur.com/OZRWv9a

Should I sleeve Arkham Horror LCG?

I sleeved mine with cheap sleeves.

it's not good to know what is coming and given if you have plans to play through multiple times, and multiple characters require the same cards, it's best if they stay in nice sleeves.

granted... I bought 100 packs of 100 sleeves like a year ago for $40 so I have plenty of sleeves for games.

I am slowly sleeving lengendary and red dragon in, using them as a way to show what characters I have played lol.

I sleeved mine with cheap sleeves.

it's not good to know what is coming and given if you have plans to play through multiple times, and multiple characters require the same cards, it's best if they stay in nice sleeves.

granted... I bought 100 packs of 100 sleeves like a year ago for $40 so I have plenty of sleeves for games.

I am slowly sleeving lengendary and red dragon in, using them as a way to show what characters I have played lol.

Cool deal, I bought over 400 sleves for $20 today to finish sleeving smash up though I might say fuck sleeving munchkin smash up (which sucks) for sleeving arkham horror lcg.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Man I can't handle cheap sleeves. They get extra shitty after the first time I shuffle and then they explode soon after.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I've been using KMC perfect fit sleeves and they seem to be decent. These are the first sleeves I have ever used though so can't compare. Cards at times stick together a little ....not sure if that is normal??

zulux21

Man I can't handle cheap sleeves. They get extra shitty after the first time I shuffle and then they explode soon after.

I've never had any of mine explode. in fact I used one for my pokemon go plus in my pocket for months and while the structure of the sleeve was lost I didn't get any rips or tears after months lol.

XShagrath

I feel ya. I ordered some cheap sleeves for 7th Continent (square cards) and they acted and felt like cheap cellophane. They were extremely hard to shuffle, and were very crinkly. My choices for that card size were limited, so I went with what people had suggested. Never again. Premium all the time, every time!

Fuse was a success with my eight-year-old niece, haha. We played two-player on easy. Super fun, and we still couldn't win.

I'm glad she enjoyed it!

Palmer_v1

Hey guys, I'm cross-posting this because Culdcept Revolt just came out on 3DS, and it's basically a board game RPG. Check it out!

facebook_ogp.jpg

Release Date:
JP: 07/07/16
NA: 03/10/17
EU: 06/10/17

culd-ss-04.jpg

culd-ss-06.jpg

culd-ss-15.jpg

culd-ss-17.jpg

Limited Edition:

cur1_white-esrb-t.jpg

Contains
- Hardcover Art Book
- 1-Disc, Symphony of Cepters (Soundtrack)
- Culdcept Dice (Set of 2)
- Foil Cards (Set of 7)
- Collectors' Box

Reviews:

Metacritic: 72
http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/culdcept-revolt

Digitally Downloaded - 90

Dualshockers - 75

Blizzard

Banned
CSI finally put Innovation Deluxe up for preorder!

CAN YOU FUCKING FEEL IT?
*checks Kickstarter page* *checks BGG* *checks CSI*

Welp, it's not like I need money to live or anything.

The original edition had only a 7.2 average but it sounds like a solid game with a lot of replay value and great for 2 players.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
-Culdcept is legit. Wish it was on Switch but get it on 3DS anyway.

-Innovation is definitely in my top 10 2p games. I don't care much for the expansions though. Base game is perfect.

Blizzard

Banned
-Culdcept is legit. Wish it was on Switch but get it on 3DS anyway.

-Innovation is definitely in my top 10 2p games. I don't care much for the expansions though. Base game is perfect.
Hmm, base game also has a smaller box. So either I get the base game 3rd edition or base game and like 5-6 expansions for 4 times the price.

Protome

Fuse was a success with my eight-year-old niece, haha. We played two-player on easy. Super fun, and we still couldn't win.

I'm glad she enjoyed it!
Man, I wish I could get Fuse to the table more. My girlfriend has anxiety issues though and shockingly that game ignites them pretty intensely...

Blizzard

Banned
Make sure your partners don't play Millennium Blades. I seem to recall the designer and/or rules outright stating that game is designed to overload you with more information than you can adequately process in a limited amount of time so that you're forced to prioritize or whatever.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Make sure your partners don't play Millennium Blades. I seem to recall the designer and/or rules outright stating that game is designed to overload you with more information than you can adequately process in a limited amount of time so that you're forced to prioritize or whatever.

Hey guys, I'm cross-posting this because Culdcept Revolt just came out on 3DS, and it's basically a board game RPG. Check it out!

Butzopower needs to get in on this thread if he's not already. I think it was him who told me all about that game growing up.

Can't wait to check this out!

Lyng

So really sold a big portion of my collection. about 25+ games gone.
Actually feels really good. The ones I have left are going to get played alot more and I will probably get better at setting aside time for Through the ages, rune wars etc.

Also preordered Brass: Birmingham and Montana and then I should be done until essen 2018.

i should reaaaaally chill a bit with my buying impulse.. this year seems packed, plus all the stuff i want to fetch "back" from older months...

quick export from my excel XD
given the ABSURD amount of stuff to buy, I'll most likely split between 2017 and FULL 2018.. let alone the space it will take (a LOT), but I can already hear the yell from my SO as I progressively spend more and more XD
That being said, 'lo and behold, expense plan for last few month and months to come... whoever said that videogame are an expensive hobby (i used to...) clearly never went full-ham on board games...

last month i bought:
arkham lcg expac, path to carcosa (well... i had to!)
pandemic legacy season1
scythe
terraforming mars

will buy when out//will buy soon:
legend of 5 rings (if i like it, i'll go for 3x for competitive play)
scythe xpac - invaders from afar
scythe xpac - the wind gambit
terraforming mars: hellas & helysium
terraforming mars: venus next
android netrunner new core
android netrunner new datapacks
arkham horror lcg mythos pack (expected 3 before end of year...)
mansion of madness xpac --> street of arkham (before end of year)
twilight imperium iv
gloomhaven
descent xpac if they ever get translated in italian (..........)
legacy of dragonholt (before end of year)
civilization a new dawn (before end of year)
zombicide bp
race for galaxy xpacs (all of them)
elder sign pod --> grave consequences
aeon's end war eternal (whelp!)
viticulture --> should i go for essential edition?
santorini
clank!
myth

i backed recently:
el dorado
argent 2nd edition (full in)
stonebound saga
champions of hara (will open late pledge shortly, will go full in)
cerebria (full in)
7th continent (full in)

i will back:
gloom of killfort (full in)
elo darkness

considering:
[BACKING]endure
[BACKING]human punishment
[BACKING]conspirancy theory
[BACKING]Potato Pirates (seems like a game i could play with my newphew when they are of age!)
[BACKING]wander
[RETAIL]Other 7 sins
[RETAIL]Sword and Sorcery
[RETAIL]Feast for Odin
[RETAIL]Marvel legendary
[RETAIL]Seasons
[RETAIL]Castle of Burgundy
[RETAIL]Time Stories + xpacs
[RETAIL]Robinson Crusoe: adventure on mistery island
[RETAIL]Star wars rebellion
[RETAIL]Cry Havoc
[RETAIL]Runebound +xpacs
[RETAIL]Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
[RETAIL]Arabian Nights
[RETAIL]Battlecon or Exceed
[RETAIL]Majesty
[RETAIL]Onirim
[RETAIL]One deck dungeon +xpac
[RETAIL]Guilds of London
[RETAIL]Ethnos
[RETAIL]Massive Darkness
[RETAIL]Lords of waterdeep + xpac
[RETAIL]Shadow of Brimstone?????
[RETAIL]Dead of Winter
[RETAIL]Mistfall
[RETAIL]Legend of Andor cycle
[RETAIL]Great Wester Trail
[RETAIL]Epic+xpac (enough copy to properly build, as I have 1x of all)
[???]Kingdom Death Monster (if i find it at an affordable price)
[RETAIL]Glass Road
[RETAIL]Mombasa
[???]Too many bones
[RETAIL]Elysium

Blizzard

Banned
i should reaaaaally chill a bit with my buying impulse.. this year seems packed, plus all the stuff i want to fetch "back" from older months...

quick export from my excel XD
given the ABSURD amount of stuff to buy, I'll most likely split between 2017 and FULL 2018.. let alone the space it will take (a LOT), but I can already hear the yell from my SO as I progressively spend more and more XD
That being said, 'lo and behold, expense plan for last few month and months to come... whoever said that videogame are an expensive hobby (i used to...) clearly never went full-ham on board games...
I don't want to be rude so help me understand whether you'd like help trimming the list. I too am someone who spends far too much. :p

For one thing, is your goal to have a massive, 100% complete collection of any game you are interested in? Or is your goal to have a great collection that you actually play?

For example, Gloomhaven alone will take something like 120 hours of play time MINIMUM to complete. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective would take 20+ hours, Robinson Crusoe would probably take 20+ hours. Pandemic Legacy will take time if you finish it.

7th Continent, Kingdom Death Monster, Aeon's End, Marvel Legendary...I haven't played these personally but I suspect they will also take up a huge amount of time.

I see you bought Terraforming Mars. Do you play it and love it enough that the expansions will get playtime?

Are you sure you want all the Race for the Galaxy expansions? If you aren't playing like 50+ games of it a year, the first expansion alone should last you basically forever.

Scythe expansions are a reasonable choice. For Viticulture, definitely get EE + Tuscany EE. This will give you the most strategic variety and a bigger board.

Lords of Waterdeep + expansion is an odd thing to consider unless you're wanting an intro game. You're listing massive heavy co-op games and euros like Feast for Odin, Great Western Trail, Glass Road, or Castles of Burgundy. In comparison, Lords of Waterdeep doesn't have a ton of variety and also takes up a bunch of space with its expansion.

Arabian Nights is also a kind of odd game in this list since it's mostly reading and choose your own adventure. If you want a large-group-friendly light game you might choose something like Mysterium or Codenames if you don't have them already to save money.

I love Feast for Odin so I'm always pushing it here, but it depends on what you enjoy. Great Western Trail is quite good though it has some setup time.

Battlecon has a massive learning curve, requiring dedicated opponents to really start enjoying the game and getting it to the table often in my opinion. I see you're getting a bunch of Netrunner stuff so maybe you already have super dedicated friends to fill that gap however.

Castles of Burgundy is good though a bit dry. Depends on taste.

Time Stories is one-time-only and has a reputation for varying quality stories. I'd fill the gap with the new Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective edition instead and save money in the process.

Robinson Crusoe is good and brutally hard, has 7+ missions. Make sure you get the new edition.

I hope that helped some.

I don't want to be rude so help me understand whether you'd like help trimming the list. I too am someone who spends far too much. :p

yeah that list was half "cry with my wallet", half "is all this stuff really worth it"?
As for time, yeah time's tight..
But as you've hinted, on top of being a player, I'm also a collector, so I'd like to be my gaming library to be as extensive and full of quality titles as possible :)

I played the Castaways scenario of Robinson Crusoe with my group last weekend. We got through it successfully, with 4 players. It was actually a pleasant experience. People were getting really salty, tired and legitimately pissed at losing other games to the point it felt so awkward and shit I wanted to leave. It ended up pulling everyone back together, thankfully.

I'm still playing A Feast for Odin and Mage Knight solitaire. One day, I am sure someone will be keen to try them out with me.

;_;

Izayoi

Banned
Hey guys, is there a general consensus on the best 7 Wonders expansions? We love the game and would really enjoy adding to the experience.

yeah that list was half "cry with my wallet", half "is all this stuff really worth it"?
As for time, yeah time's tight..
But as you've hinted, on top of being a player, I'm also a collector, so I'd like to be my gaming library to be as extensive and full of quality titles as possible :)
I'm a newcomer to the hobby. For some background, I've got a 40 hour work week and I am married. My group is another (soon to be) married couple.

Right now we have less than 10 serious board games between us, and we play together weekly.

We have barely scratched the surface of some of our games (Scythe and 7 Wonders in particular) over the last several months.

I see you constantly posting about buying new games, so much so that sometimes it seems like you are maybe even buying one or two games a week? Some of the games you have in your collection are massive, daunting tasks.

I don't want to put you on an awkward position, but how is it possible to play these games within the time scale that you are working in? Have you played everything in your collection? Have you played each game twice, or maybe three times? Are you ever going to get a chance to play these before you buy more?

I'm worried because your buying pattern looks a lot like mine did a few years ago when I was buying four video games for every one I actually played (if that). I worry not because it is expensive (clearly you have the expendable income to do this, otherwise KD:M would not be on your list), but because I am afraid you will become overwhelmed by your untouched collection, as I did with mine.

For me, it fostered an ever-present anxiety that eventually culminated in me purging my collection, almost in its entirety. I ended up liquidating almost everything, most of it still in its original plastic wrap.

As long as you are 100% comfortable with never touching some of these games, by all means, you do you. I just know that if I was in the same position, I would undoubtedly regret my decisions down the road. The struggle with my backlog basically resulted in me parting ways with almost all video games.

Sorry if this came off as preachy... That is not my intent at all. Just be careful!

I played the Castaways scenario of Robinson Crusoe with my group last weekend. We got through it successfully, with 4 players. It was actually a pleasant experience. People were getting really salty, tired and legitimately pissed at losing other games to the point it felt so awkward and shit I wanted to leave. It ended up pulling everyone back together, thankfully.

I'm still playing A Feast for Odin and Mage Knight solitaire. One day, I am sure someone will be keen to try them out with me.

;_;

People were getting salty and pissed at losing and you pulled out robinson crusoe?

The balls on you :p

I see you constantly posting about buying new games, so much so that sometimes it seems like you are maybe even buying one or two games a week? Some of the games you have in your collection are massive, daunting tasks.
I don't want to put you on an awkward position, but how is it possible to play these games within the time scale that you are working in? Have you played everything in your collection? Have you played each game twice, or maybe three times? Are you ever going to get a chance to play these before you buy more?

I'm worried because your buying pattern looks a lot like mine did a few years ago when I was buying four video games for every one I actually played (if that). I worry not because it is expensive (clearly you have the expendable income to do this, otherwise KD:M would not be on your list), but because I am afraid you will become overwhelmed by your untouched collection, as I did with mine.

For me, it fostered an ever-present anxiety that eventually culminated in me purging my collection, almost in its entirety. I ended up liquidating almost everything, most of it still in its original plastic wrap.

As long as you are 100% comfortable with never touching some of these games, by all means, you do you. I just know that if I was in the same position, I would undoubtedly regret my decisions down the road. The struggle with my backlog basically resulted in me parting ways with almost all video games.

Sorry if this came off as preachy... That is not my intent at all. Just be careful!
I am sitting in that position :p
my steam collection is around 700 games big..
I have a shitton videogames that I hardly manage to touch (and every console)...
Lots of book and I barely manage to read 12-13 books//year nowdays (before starting my career, I devoured 1 book per week or even less depending on how interesting the book was)..
and while I'm now in love also with board game, the same applies to that :)
I am already overwhelmed in raw space... While I live in Milan for work, I own two apartment in southern Italy (hometown) and one is literally my "collection-apartment" (and the garage as well) ... My SO complains but she knows that I dislike when she does it, plus I do it with my own money, not even my family money so there's little even for my family to dislike :L

To be fair I manage to play board games, but WAY less than I'd want... but... call me a "spoiled kid", but "live" for the possibility to choose :)
In the morning, I wake up and choose my jeans and my chemise, at dinner I choose what I want to dine (well I actually *should* cut that as I got a tad overweight after I joined the work-ah-holic world), I delight in choosing the game to play (be it board, videogame or whatever).. I don't like to be "cockblocked" into playing one game...
I guess that at some point I'll have to give up this "I don't give a damn" approach if I want to go from being with SO to married with SO, but I make this work for now ;)

and now, you're not peachy, if anything you're being a nice guy genuinely preoccupied, so kudos to you!

just an small edit: please consider that also for good or for worse, I'm one that manage to sleep around 2h:30m to 3h per night without (at least for now) aftereffect, and I've been in this position since I was VERY young :) Plus, I don't commute a lot (my workplace is like 1km from where I live) but I do some abroad travel (1 week per month during the "usual" working period of september to june), so I end up having a lot more free time than most people ;)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I have a ton of games of games and still keep getting more, but not anywhere close to the pace I used to buy them. Interestingly enough it is mostly for the reason that I have a lot of the games that I wanted lol. I tend to get anything new that seems good and I still kickstart whatever project interests me. I don’t many unplayed games, less than 10 I would say, but I have way too many games that I have only played one or two times.

That will change for me probably considering another group of my friends has started to get into the hobby and I am getting new games at a slower pace. I was kind of trapped before because my one group we could only ever really play coop games. Now I have multiple groups and the play options have opened up dramatically. The current problem I have is that this newest group of guys only want to play Cthulhu Wars lol

Top Bottom