• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM Scores (Halo 2 = GTA:SA > MGS3 > MP 2)

Kon Tiki

Banned
I'd rather hear a 'it is short' compaint then 'too much backtracking', esp with the way this holiday season is shaping up. Btw, I just woke up fromt he perfect 'metroid' dream for a game. If I were an EGM editor and I had to review MP2 the day after I had that dream, I would give echoes a 5!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
thorns said:
What did PoP get?

So Halo 2 DOES live up to the hype? A bit ironic the only place it didn't get a 10 was OXM :lol
Giving a 10 when you have a scale with .1 decimals (basically a scale of 100, but in fact worse...) is much more difficult than when you have a .5 scale. It's really hard to justify not to knock down the score a bit with that big of a scale when the game has some little but obvious flaws.

skip

huzkee said:
Oh, key hunting? Hmmm... I thought the metroids might make their way in there somewhere in the end, guess not.

there are metroids (not a spoiler! it's in the demo!), but the plot is totally luminoth v. ing.

Eric-GCA

Banned
skip said:
but people will have issues with a) control scheme, b) difficulty, and c) ...er, well...key hunting. I'm also not a fan of the near-total detachment from the usual metroid staples.

Lets see:

*Control Scheme - how is this a complaint from the original, since it should be the exact same control layout eh?

*Difficulty - After all the easy games Nintendo keeps releasing, if this one is challenging, then it shouldn't get docked for that, unless it got knocked for being too easy.

*Key hunting - Similar to the Chozo artifacts maybe? This one I do not know.

As for the total detachment from Metroid staples. Its been noted often that this game will be more about the Luminoth and the Ing and less about Space Pirates and Metroids.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Society said:
I'd rather hear a 'it is short' compaint then 'too much backtracking', esp with the way this holiday season is shaping up. Btw, I just woke up fromt he perfect 'metroid' dream for a game. If I were an EGM editor and I had to review MP2 the day after I had that dream, I would give echoes a 5!

No one (with authority) said it was too short. skip said it was good lengthwise, in fact.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Joe said:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PEOPLE IT GOT TWO 9'S AND A 10 WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR
Well I played the two 10 10 10 games in EGM, if they can get 10 10 10 , something must be seriously flawed in MP2 to not get 10 10 10. The other 10 10 10 games have some pretty big flaws in them themselves.

Deku Tree

skip said:
I don't want to give too much away (it's a kickass issue, really one of their best, you should all buy it), and I'm sure mark will eventually show up in this thread. but people will have issues with a) control scheme, b) difficulty, and c) ...er, well...key hunting. I'm also not a fan of the near-total detachment from the usual metroid staples.

It makes me smile to hear that reviewers are saying a Nintendo game (retro is owned by Nintendo!) is too hard. :D

I didn't expect perfect scores for this game after (1) the sales of the first one (2) all the message board complaints about the control scheme (3) the lack of online multiplayer and (4) the release date right next two Halo 2 and GTA:SA.

Lakitu

st5fu
Holy shit @ Halo 2 and GTA: SA scores

I'd love to know what they said about MGS 3, especially the person that gave it a 9.0 and good score for MP2.

skip

Eric-GCA said:
skip said:
but people will have issues with a) control scheme, b) difficulty, and c) ...er, well...key hunting. I'm also not a fan of the near-total detachment from the usual metroid staples.QUOTE]

Lets see:

*Control Scheme - how is this a complaint from the original, since it should be the exact same control layout eh?

*Difficulty - After all the easy games Nintendo keeps releasing, if this one is challenging, then it shouldn't get docked for that, unless it got knocked for being too easy.

*Key hunting - Similar to the Chozo artifacts maybe? This one I do not know.

As for the total detachment from Metroid staples. Its been noted often that this game will be more about the Luminoth and the Ing and less about Space Pirates and Metroids.

my review will be in the next gmr (coming three weeks late on all these games to an EB near you!), so any more elaboration from me will be found there.

and just because something's been noted doesn't mean it's good.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I don't want to give too much away (it's a kickass issue, really one of their best, you should all buy it), and I'm sure mark will eventually show up in this thread. but people will have issues with a) control scheme, b) difficulty, and c) ...er, well...key hunting. I'm also not a fan of the near-total detachment from the usual metroid staples.

Actually, from my POV, the MP2 demo leads hope to the 2 biggest staples of the series, sequence breaking and speed runs (specifically under 1 hour). As long those are present I will spend another 2 years playing the game. I really wish a Metroid Fantatic would review MP2, there are somethings about Metroid games most people do not understand.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
MightyHedgehog said:
:lol

Maybe some of us should just read the reviews in the mag instead of trying to squeeze info outta these guys...or not.

Buy egm? :lol

wheres the fun in that? ;)

Meier

Why can't it be like November 25th or so? I'd have Halo 2, MP2 and MGS 3 in my possession and likely all completed if it were :(

skip said:
I'm also not a fan of the near-total detachment from the usual metroid staples.
I was kind of worried about that myself.

Would you still say it offers an interesting story? Or at least not something that pales next to previous Metroid lore?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Ghost said:
Buy egm? :lol

wheres the fun in that? ;)
Well you can get a free Digital Subscription like me. Thanks to the amazing speed of the digital age and the internet it comes to your PC 3 weeks later than the newsstand ones!

skip

Duke Juan the Beast said:
I was kind of worried about that myself.

Would you still say it offers an interesting story? Or at least not something that pales next to previous Metroid lore?

the worlds, characters, enemies, art, etc. are all awesome, and they feel like they belong in the metroidverse. but the story itself...is pretty much nonexistent. certainly not as interesting as something like metroid fusion when it easily could have been.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Society said:
Well you can get a free Digital Subscription like me. Thanks to the amazing speed of the digital age and the internet it comes to your PC 3 weeks later than the newsstand ones!

tried that once, still waiting for my second issue, yep January 2004 issue should be a doozy.

(think its 'cause im not int he states)

Joe said:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PEOPLE IT GOT TWO 9'S AND A 10 WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR

IAWTP - the fact that all the top games score 9+ is great. All great games and all will be played in due time.

How did EGM score PM2?

Fifty

When does this hit newstands? It's just crazy how many 9's and 10's are being handed out. Not saying the games don't deserve the scores, but man is this month just unreal. I can buy 5/6 games in November and have them all average a score of 9+ it seems.

Grubdog

Banned
GashPrex said:
MP:2 9, 9, 10

Mario tennis 9, 7.5, 8
So Metroid Prime 2 is worse than Metroid Prime? Even with the included multi and other stuff? How does the "atmosphere" and environments compare to Metroid Prime?

and what's with the 7.5 for Mario tennis? What's wrong with it?

Socreges

Banned
Fifty said:
When does this hit newstands? It's just crazy how many 9's and 10's are being handed out. Not saying the games don't deserve the scores
YES YOU ARE

WHY MUST YOU HATE METROID AND NINTENDO

MarkMacD

efralope said:
that sucks, MP got 3 10's, basically they are saying this one is a downgrade...

Nope, not saying that. Over time, and for sequels, values/expectation/perceptions change. You might have given the original Metroid a 10 when it came out and Zero Mission a 9 now, but that doesn't mean Zero Mission would be a downgrade.

skip said:
the worlds, characters, enemies, art, etc. are all awesome, and they feel like they belong in the metroidverse. but the story itself...is pretty much nonexistent. certainly not as interesting as something like metroid fusion when it easily could have been.
I can live with that. The original Prime was fairly skimpy on story as well but that certainly didn't keep it from being one of my favs from this generation.

I take it you would agree with the opinion that anyone who enjoyed Metroid Prime will love MP2?

novery

Mrbob said:
Reading that multiplayer in MP2 is disappointing nearly brings a tear to me eye! :D

Wait, you celebrate when a feature of a game disappoints? What kind of gamer are you?

-rp

ferricide

Joe said:
i bet vivendi is happy as a pig in shit that no one will notice their fight club scores.
comical accident: the ad for the game is actually touching that review in the new EGM. ouch.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Funny how Metal Gear Solid 3 getting an 8.5 from anyone would have sent me into an irrational rage, but at 9.0 I'm perfectly fine. I have no complaints...this time. I was hoping to come into this thread and find something to bitch about, but everything seems in order.

I'll just mosey along then.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Grubdog said:
So Metroid Prime 2 is worse than Metroid Prime? Even with the included multi and other stuff? How does the "atmosphere" and environments compare to Metroid Prime?

and what's with the 7.5 for Mario tennis? What's wrong with it?

It's all relative to the time period in which the game is released. When MP2 is stacked up against Halo 2, GTA:SA, MGS3, etc. it isn't going to get 10s. The first one shocked most because of how it made an unexpectedly great transition to 3D hence the 10s. Just because the scores are lower, does not mean the game is worse than the original.

Kon Tiki

Banned
MarkMacD said:
Nope, not saying that. Over time, and for sequels, values/expectation/perceptions change. You might have given the original Metroid a 10 when it came out and Zero Mission a 9 now, but that doesn't mean Zero Mission would be a downgrade.
What about Metroid III? That is still a 10 today, unless you hate games. ;)

deadlifter said:
It's all relative to the time period in which the game is released. When MP2 is stacked up against Halo 2, GTA:SA, MGS3, etc. it isn't going to get 10s.

Uhhh I sure as hell hope thats not the case. That means you are not reviewing a games as it is and taking hype into concideration. Yes hype, seeing as you assume Halo 2 GTA and MGS are untouchable before you review them.

skip

Duke Juan the Beast said:
I can live with that. The original Prime was fairly skimpy on story as well but that certainly didn't keep it from being one of my favs from this generation.

I take it you would agree with the opinion that anyone who enjoyed Metroid Prime will love MP2?

fo' sure.

Grizzlyjin said:
Funny how Metal Gear Solid 3 getting an 8.5 from anyone would have sent me into an irrational rage, but at 9.0 I'm perfectly fine. I have no complaints...this time. I was hoping to come into this thread and find something to bitch about, but everything seems in order.

I'll just mosey along then.

me, personally? I find it hard to contest a score of a game unless I've played it. Welcome ot the real world.

pill?

skip

Society said:
No numerical scores. Pretend MP did not get three 10s, is MP2 a better experience than MP.

personally, I'd say not quite. MP being the first metroid in a long time, in 3D with awesome art, and it actually being a faithful metriod game (not compared to MP2, but to expectations that retro and FPS would suckify it)...I think it made more of an impact and a better overall experience.

and a pre-emptive shut up, doug!

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Society said:
Uhhh I sure as hell hope thats not the case. That means you are not reviewing a games as it is and taking hype into concideration. Yes hype, seeing as you assume Halo 2 GTA and MGS are untouchable before you review them.

I'm talking about after they are reviewed, as seen by these scores. Of course how others rate these games will be different, i'm just trying to make the point that just because the game didn't score 10s again, doesn't mean it isn't as good or better than Prime.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
TheGreenGiant said:
me, personally? I find it hard to contest a score of a game unless I've played it. Welcome ot the real world.

pill?

Zuh? People do it all the time. I've seen people go nuts because they're favorite game (which they haven't played yet) got a low score. Look how many people are whining about the great score MP2 got...I'm sure all of them have played the full retail version. It's very common for people to feel upset when a game they are looking forward to is raped in reviews. You argue your point without playing the game easily. You take a bunch of developer interview and content and feature lists and say it should have scored higher. No point in fighting the truth, sometime people just expect a certain score. I'm not saying it's healthy, but it's how things go down. You're part of a dying breed, mister.

Now sex me.

Suppose that the game was called "Space Hunter" instead of "Metroid Prime 2" - would the score have been higher or lower?

If Nintendo had released a mediocre sequel last year and Echoes was actually Metroid Prime 3 - not 2 - how would that affect the score?

If the EGM rating system was based on increments of .1 instead of .5, would the game have scored higher than a 9.0?

Is it true that the EGM staff is close personal friends with Tommy Tallarico and that he may have influenced your score for Metroid Prime 2?

Warp Pipe plans to support Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer mode online - did EGM take this into account when scoring the game?

If Nintendo had sent better freebies along with the Metroid Prime 2 reviewable, would you have given the game a better score?

Did you play the entire game in progressive scan mode? If not, do you plan to rereview the game in a future issue of EGM?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
JackFrost2012 said:
Suppose that the game was called "Space Hunter" instead of "Metroid Prime 2" - would the score have been higher or lower?

If Nintendo had released a mediocre sequel last year and Echoes was actually Metroid Prime 3 -- not 2 -- how would that affect the score?

If the EGM rating system was based .1 instead of .5, would the game have scored higher than a 9.0?

Is it true that the EGM staff is close personal friends with Tommy Tallarico and that he may have influenced your score for Metroid Prime 2?

Warp Pipe plans to support Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer mode online - did EGM take this into account when scoring the game?

If Nintendo had sent better freebies along with the Metroid Prime 2 reviewable, would you have given the game a better score?

Did you play the entire game in progressive scan mode? If not, do you plan to rereview the game in a future issue of EGM?

you da man :O

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
For the last time.....

A score of a certain number right now cannot be compared to the same score from years ago. As games as a whole progressively get "better" the ante continues to be upped and review scores shift accordingly. If this were not the case than games that got perfect scores originally, and have sequels that are even better would have to get scores that are off the scale to keep the comparative balance(IE since halo 2 is better than 10,10,10 halo:CE, it would get something like 11,11,11). As expectations are raised, the value of the different scores needs to be adjusted.

Meier

JackFrost2012 said:

One thing to take into consideration is that this is the very first review of Metroid Prime 2 that has been released and there have been very, very few (if any) significant impressions from the finished game, so naturally people are curious about some of the aspects surrounding the review.

Kon Tiki

Banned
skip said:
personally, I'd say not quite. MP being the first metroid in a long time, in 3D with awesome art, and it actually being a metriod game...I think it made more of an impact and a better overall experience.

and a pre-emptive shut up, doug!

Thats the second (or third) you said it does not feel like a Metroid game. :(

After reading those Metroid Prime 2 websites, I am anticipating a Metroid game (not necessarily MP2) that does not feel like a Metroid game. I want one that deals with the space program and the early days of Samus (or Mackenzie King). A real Prime game, one that has a person going into space for the first time, using new technology like the morphball, early suits and prototype weapons. I want this game to be made. :(

I'm talking about after they are reviewed, as seen by these scores. Of course how others rate these games will be different, I'm just trying to make the point that just because the game didn't score 10s again, doesn't mean it isn't as good or better than Prime.
Ok, it just means it has more things wrong with it than the other games. :p I just want to know whats wrong.

Top Bottom