• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 update adds new game progress and time played tracker

ManaByte

ZqqKtSB.jpg

Some games have both, while others have one or the other. Some older stuff doesn’t have either. Even works on PS4 games.

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
I think maybe the timer only started counting after the update, so any time the player had was not retroactively added.
time tracker has been there since launch. you just had to go into the trophies menu to see it.

this update just adds it to the main menu.

Sony has been internally tracking time since PS4. ive been getting yearly emails with time tracking for almost half a decade now.

Doom85

I think maybe the timer only started counting after the update, so any time the player had was not retroactively added.

Maybe for a few games, but my timers for Overwatch and Dead by Daylight seem to be accurate so definitely not all of them.

The time tracker before this update was bugged as hell and only worked half the time. Not sure if this update just displays what’s already been tracked in the Profile Game section or something separate.

ShakenG

The system seems to update the time tracked when it switches on. Maybe rest mode doesnt update it? People saying its bugged, have you checked after a game or before?

XXL

The system seems to update the time tracked when it switches on. Maybe rest mode doesnt update it? People saying its bugged, have you checked after a game or before?
This. When I finish playing it doesn't update until I turn it back on the next day.

xrnzaaas

I'm always turning off my console (completely) and it's still showing the wrong numbers.

Last edited:

oji-san

It's not accurate for me also, no big deal tho. I wished they returned to the game art screen and not the screen we get with the activities which is generic.

SenkiDala

Those kind of features are always bugged. Before you could see the time played on the trophy list, it said that I played like 110 hours of Elden Ring when I actually finished my first run in 299 hours, and then I kept playing to get the plat', and at the end the console says I played 110 hours...

Aenima

Progress is based on main story or the total trophy count??
Main story progress only. Side quests / content and trophies dont count for the progress tracker. Its actually pretty great to know how far you are into the game.

Last edited:

KungFucius

Does it count time when you pause the game then leave the system and the controller powers off? Some PC games do that and it pisses me off. Yes the game is running, but I got distracted by something and really don't like seeing my playtime inflated by such a stupid clock. Pause is not playing.

Warablo

That's a cool feature. I know Xbox was gonna have player count updater, but realized it was a bad idea.
Does it count time when you pause the game then leave the system and the controller powers off? Some PC games do that and it pisses me off. Yes the game is running, but I got distracted by something and really don't like seeing my playtime inflated by such a stupid clock. Pause is not playing.
Most likely counts whenever the game is launched.

Last edited:
PS5 tracks game time only when you're online. I got the plat for GoW:R while off-line and the system shows something like 30 minutes of game time. It can explain the discrepancies some people are reporting.

Esca

Time played had been bugged for some time. I look through time played on my profile games way and there were some wildly inaccurate times on their for the first few years of the ps4 games.

I have the same problem with steam. Lots and lots of errors in time played and this has been and issue since it was there from the start.

I have no idea why I have bad luck with these.

Oh hogwarts legacy on my ps5 showed as 11 hours played when I was level 30. Stayed like that for a few days then the next day in st 26 hours played.
Meanwhile my manual save file with the time played on that showed around 50 something hours at that time. Then when I was at around 64 hours it said I played and when I saved it said I had 57 hours played?

I swear it's not the drugs lol

TexMex

Time is definitely bugged. I just got the platinum for cyberpunk and it says 48 hours, but my saves are all closer to 70

Aenima

PlayStation is just now getting this?

Xbox tracks how long you looked at 2Bs butt, literally.
The gameplay time tracker has been on PS5 since launch. They just added it to the front page now, the progress tracker for the game main story, is new.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

My Dead Space Remake time played says like 25 hours and I've only played about 2 lol, it wasn't paused for ages either, its weird.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Time played is bugged sadly
Either bugged, or doesn't track idle time in select games?

My RDR2 says 1550 hours which is pretty accurate, but lots of idel time there. GOWR wasn' accurate at 65 hours when I put in more than 80-90 and currently Elden Ring says 145 hours when my save says 160+ hours.

Pelao

Neo Member
Mine says I played Moss for 15 minutes, and I finished the damn game. Is that a world record?

dDoc

I finished Ff7 remake months ago and it says 99% complete.

Anyone has incorrect finish percentage?

Banjo64

cumsessed
That's a cool feature. I know Xbox was gonna have player count updater, but realized it was a bad idea.
Xbox does have a play time counter for each game. You access it from the Achievements page.

Like PS though, I suspect it’s inaccurate.

RCU005

The time is the amount of time you have the game open.

I played Horizon today for 4 hours, and it added 4 hours to the counter. Also, it will say 1 hour if it’s 1 hour 59 min 59 seconds.

rofif

I would imagine it only knows the game is running. But the counter shows some wrong time anyway

Warablo

Xbox does have a play time counter for each game. You access it from the Achievements page.

Like PS though, I suspect it’s inaccurate.
I was talking about a active player count. They were hyping it up I think around Xbox One launch, but never went through with it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I was talking about an active player count. They were hyping it up I think around Xbox One launch, but never went through with it.
Ah ok sorry.

Yeah most companies are shying away from them.

It’s ok when you have a million players (Halo 3) but then anything less looks like a failure.

Rocket League used to have a count also, but they got rid of it a while ago.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I love when multi billion companies add functions to their systems that don’t ever work.

Top Bottom